Shoutbox

ANOTHER terrorist attack - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: ANOTHER terrorist attack (/showthread.php?tid=51318)

ANOTHER terrorist attack by lordy on 10-03-2005 at 08:35 AM

Well... i havent seen a thread about this yet, but tehre has been another terrorist attack in Bali... 3 bombs this time... im not sure how many dead but last i heard it was about 30. this is disgusting tbh... i will be posting some stuff about this on my blog later, ill link to it when i get it done ;)

here is my views on the topic :P http://teaspoondiner.thedt.net/blog/?p=5 turns more into a rant on racism but you get the idea :P

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by haydos on 10-03-2005 at 09:10 AM

Yeah I heard about this the other night, its really sad to see :( There have been anonymous text mesasges warning of more in the Bali area as well, also a higher threat level in parts of Thailand (including Phuket).

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by Hank on 10-03-2005 at 09:19 AM

still wondewr why Australians stil lgo to Bali, they have been warned to stay away from there from the federal Government, but no one listens,

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by linx05 on 10-03-2005 at 09:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
still wondewr why Australians stil lgo to Bali, they have been warned to stay away from there from the federal Government, but no one listens,
It's a holiday place. Try telling Aussies to stop holidaying in a certain destination. That place does have a lot of selling points. Though I wouldn't go there. Not really scared of terrorist attacks, but rather someone putting drugs in my bag.
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by lordy on 10-03-2005 at 09:32 AM

I wouldn't go anywhere in Indonesia tbh...

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by rav0 on 10-03-2005 at 10:06 AM

There wasn't a warning on travelling to Bali.

Also, please someone define terrorist for me.

Some places get blown up, and it is labelled "a terrorist attack".

Edit:
Fixed spelling error

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by lordy on 10-03-2005 at 10:11 AM

Do you mean terrorist? :S

if so: a radical who employs terror as a political weapon.

someone who incites terror to achieve a political objective in other words ;)

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by rav0 on 10-03-2005 at 10:42 AM

Yes, that's what I meant.

So that being the accepted definition, who is this someone, where is the terror being incited, and, what is their political objective?

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by lordy on 10-03-2005 at 10:49 AM

I'm afraid i dont understand your question completely and i sense a hint of sarcasm... terror is being incited in anyone who listens to the news reports, or hears about it or whatever. THEY are a splinter cell of Jemah Islamiah. and their political objective i have no idea about, all they want is attention

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by rav0 on 10-03-2005 at 10:56 AM

The sarcasm was there, in a serious question. I've never known of Jemah Islamiah, except in government and news reports. I have never seen any communication from them to the public, and it isn't hard (OMG I'm communication an opinion to the public!).

Whenever anything happens, poeple want an explaination for it, from somebody. My point is; "terrorists" are just an excuse for laziness.

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by lordy on 10-03-2005 at 11:01 AM

do you mean that they're too lazy to communicate their views through the media, and instead do it through violence?

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by rav0 on 10-03-2005 at 11:06 AM

I mean that someone is too lazy to deal with an event, so they say, "TERRORISM, go back to your homes people, they're terrorists, there is nothing we can do about it". There is media attantion on the explosions in Bali, but there is no attention on a person or group, other than to explain the cause of the explosions, and there are no ideals being communicated.

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by lordy on 10-03-2005 at 11:10 AM

But you see, when something like this happens, the media says hey it was this group, people go and research the group and find what they are on about

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by rav0 on 10-03-2005 at 11:12 AM

That's my problem, the mass media tells us it was <insert unheard of name here>. Nobody actually said that they did or would harm people for whatever reason.

* rav0 wonders where everybody else's replies are :|

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by lordy on 10-03-2005 at 11:14 AM

so you would prefer that the media broadbasted their cause, thus letting them achieve their goal of bringing attention to why they did the attack in the first palce?

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by linx05 on 10-03-2005 at 11:15 AM

It was a planned out attack. Police have said they have found what is left of three terrorists. People have also said before the bomb went off, they yelled out "Allah".

By the way, you are making very little sense. Before you post, re-read what you just typed. Then read over it again. Correct any spelling/grammar mistakes. Read over it two more times. Might be a little easier for us to understand then :)

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by dotNorma on 10-03-2005 at 12:27 PM

More bombings? These people need to find something more productive to do. :-/

Two nights ago someone light a pipebomb in my neighboorhood...:dodgy:

RE: RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by -rafy- on 10-03-2005 at 12:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0

The Federal government's advisory has been saying to avoid all non essential travel to Indoneisa for about 2 years now.....
RE: RE: RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by rav0 on 10-03-2005 at 12:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
quote:

The Federal government's advisory has been saying to avoid all non essential travel to Indoneisa for about 2 years now.....

In that case I learnt something today :).
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by Purity on 10-03-2005 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Norma
More bombings? These people need to find something more productive to do. :-/

Two nights ago someone light a pipebomb in my neighboorhood...:dodgy:

Bombs are fun.....small ones at least.... As long as your not hurting
people, me and my frieinds blew blew stuff up all the time.

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by evil_panda on 10-03-2005 at 04:35 PM

Theres a nasty video of this guy going into one of the resturants with a backpack on and 30 seconds later bang...:(

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by absorbation on 10-03-2005 at 05:36 PM

The bombers have no moral they do these things wanting something i think these people see it as a hobby complaing about westen society when in realty they live it everyday. And then they blame their religion when their religion teachs peace :dodgy:

just brainwashing is all it is

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by steVenB on 10-03-2005 at 05:47 PM

If you believe that terrorists are committing bombings because they hate western society, you have really lost the plot. Terrorists are commiting these bombings because they dislike American foreign policy. Hence these bombings are in response to it and they hope to accomplish some form of change by pressuring over governments to place pressure on the US.

Im not defending suicide bombings because it is truly disgusting but if these sort of issues are ever going to get solved we just cant come up with the reasoning of "They have western society."

By using the following definition posted by another user:
"Do you mean terrorist?

someone who incites terror to achieve a political objective in other words"

It is obvious too see that the actions of the American Government on the invasion of Iraq can be seen as an act of terrorism. The only difference being that the American Governement has million dollar weapons to play with.

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by Plik on 10-03-2005 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steVenB
t is obvious too see that the actions of the American Government on the invasion of Iraq can be seen as an act of terrorism.

No. Because terrorism is like in the definition you quoted, "employing terror as a political wepon". And the invaision of iraqi did not use terror tactics to remove sadam hussain, they attacked key military targets (although the did mess up sometimes) to overthrow his regieme, which as it happened involved many of his people living in terror of him, hence him having political power.

quote:
The only difference being that the American Governement has million dollar weapons to play with.
No. If terrorists used a million dollar weapon to blow up civilian targets and to incite terror it would still be terrorism wouldnt it?

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by haydos on 10-03-2005 at 05:57 PM

quote:
If you believe that terrorists are committing bombings because they hate western society, you have really lost the plot. Terrorists are commiting these bombings because they dislike American foreign policy. Hence these bombings are in response to it and they hope to accomplish some form of change by pressuring over governments to place pressure on the US.

Im not defending suicide bombings because it is truly disgusting but if these sort of issues are ever going to get solved we just cant come up with the reasoning of "They have western society."

By using the following definition posted by another user:
"Do you mean terrorist?

someone who incites terror to achieve a political objective in other words"

It is obvious too see that the actions of the American Government on the invasion of Iraq can be seen as an act of terrorism. The only difference being that the American Governement has million dollar weapons to play with.
Sorry but your post seems a little anti-USA for me :undecided:
Terrorists don't only go and blow themselves up just in response to American government actions (like the Iraqi invasion), yes its possible this comes into it but United States Government does not have a lot to do with things like the bombing of the Australian Embassy in Indonesia not long ago.

For the record, there was terrorism before the USA invaded Iraq

Not a personal attack on you Steven
RE: RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by steVenB on 10-03-2005 at 06:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
quote:
t is obvious too see that the actions of the American Government on the invasion of Iraq can be seen as an act of terrorism.

No. Because terrorism is like in the definition you quoted, "employing terror as a political wepon". And the invaision of iraqi did not use terror tactics to remove sadam hussain, they attacked key military targets (although the did mess up sometimes) to overthrow his regieme, which as it happened involved many of his people living in terror of him, hence him having political power.

quote:
The only difference being that the American Governement has million dollar weapons to play with.
No. If terrorists used a million dollar weapon to blow up civilian targets and to incite terror it would still be terrorism wouldnt it?

Okay so lets review. What evidence did they have on Saddam again? Nothing. Lets be honest here. The war in Iraq is about the oil. The US claimed they targeted military targets BUT how many civilians died because of those actions??? Did that not incite terror within the population??? Who has the political power now in Iraq? It certainly isnt the Iraqi people.

I think you missed the last point. Regardless of what weapon they use (suicide bomb or missles) the end result is the same....terror.

And use you are right, im a little anti US foreign policy. And yes there was terrorism before the Iraq war. I just choose it as a recent example. So why was the Austrialian embassy chooson as a target? Is it because they supported American Foreign policy???

No disrepect to anyone :) I suggest some of you read some of Noam Chomsky's work. I think he has a website which has all these audio clips to download and listen to.  He will illustrate the point im trying to make more clearly.
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by Plik on 10-03-2005 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Okay so lets review. What evidence did they have on Saddam again? Nothing. Lets be honest here. The war in Iraq is about the oil.

Im not pro-war in iraqi and i do think that it was about the oil, but the point im making is the us military did not emply terror tactics.

quote:
The US claimed they targeted military targets BUT how many civilians died because of those actions??? Did that not incite terror within the population???
But they didnt intend on killing civialians to gain political power. And also if this is the case, why did most of the iraqi population welcome the overthrowing of sadam?

quote:
Who has the political power now in Iraq? It certainly isnt the Iraqi people.
AFAIK, they are working on handing power back to the iraqi people, but there is still a lot of lawlessness while a decent poilice force is beeing set up, so this is hampering the hand over of power.

quote:
Regardless of what weapon they use (suicide bomb or missles) the end result is the same....terror.
Actually its entirly different, because during the iraqi war it was a declaired war, so all the people knew they may get involved. And where more prepared than anyone is for a suicide bombing (thats not to say that i dont think lose of civilian life in a way is a fair thing).  But with suicide bombings its unexpected and tahts what causes the really terror, the uncertantly that anyone could be armed with explosives and willing to kill lots of people.
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by SikStyles on 10-03-2005 at 07:20 PM

*sigh* when is this thing gonna end, this is fu*king rediculus..

quote:
Originally posted by evil_panda
Theres a nasty video of this guy going into one of the resturants with a backpack on and 30 seconds later bang...

imagine walking around knowing you are going to die in a couple of minutes..
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by absorbation on 10-03-2005 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles

imagine walking around knowing you are going to die in a couple of minutes..

did you see the "bomber in boots" footage of the man that killed himself on 7/7

how could he live like that go to mcdonalds knowing he was about to die
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by Jimcando on 10-03-2005 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
how could he live like that go to mcdonalds knowing he was about to die
I would never be able to do it. Bu tyou have to remember, these people 'believe' they are doing it for the better.
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by -rafy- on 10-03-2005 at 08:19 PM

steVenB: Please remember that the terrorists declared war on the west long before Iraq.

Lets see, The African Embassy bombings of the 80s and 90s, the bombing of the USS Cole, the first attacks on the WTC, 9/11 etc.....

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by lordy on 10-03-2005 at 09:45 PM

Terrorists have been around for YEARS and it's certainly not only because of the US! It's the majority of Western Society they are against which includes Australia, UK, France, etc. Terrorism just came into a major focus since 9/11. and that is also when alot of the racism towards muslims began. because most of the terrorists were muslims, many people believe that all muslims are terroists. which of course they are not. you can see my lil post on this ;) http://teaspoondiner.thedt.net/blog/?p=5

RE: RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by steVenB on 10-03-2005 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Im not pro-war in iraqi and i do think that it was about the oil, but the point im making is the us military did not emply terror tactics.

It all depends how you view it. The promise of Shock and awe, was that not a threat which can be viewed as inciting terror? Terror also comes from how civilians are being killed in the cause of hitting military targets? Civilians living in fear that their house might be blown up by some missle trying to hit a military target.???

quote:
But they didnt intend on killing civialians to gain political power. And also if this is the case, why did most of the iraqi population welcome the overthrowing of sadam?

The point is civilians were killed and once saddams regime was overthrown who else was going to run the country. It was obvious that the US would take upon the role of occupier. Thus gaining political power. Why do you assume that most of the iraqi population welcomed the overthrowing of saddam? Is it because CNN told you?  Certainly some people welcomed it but there were others that did not. I reccomend watching the docuementary called the Control Room. Its about US media vs Al jeezra. It explains who those people were when saddams statue was knocked over.

quote:
AFAIK, they are working on handing power back to the iraqi people, but there is still a lot of lawlessness while a decent poilice force is beeing set up, so this is hampering the hand over of power.

This will be the story for a long time. The problem is that those against what the US is doing in Iraq are going to be weary of who is in power because it will be someone who the US supports. Ring any bells...Saddam had american backing until he invaded Kuwait.

quote:
Actually its entirly different, because during the iraqi war it was a declaired war, so all the people knew they may get involved. And where more prepared than anyone is for a suicide bombing (thats not to say that i dont think lose of civilian life in a way is a fair thing).  But with suicide bombings its unexpected and thats what causes the  terror, the uncertantly that anyone could be armed with explosives and willing to kill lots of people.

Sitting in your house eating dinner with your family and then all of a sudden your house gets rocked by a missle that was intended to hit a military target. Isnt that unexpected? I dont think anyone can be truly be prepared for war. Lets not forget that this war was an ILLEGAL war under the United Nations. Any other country would face harsh consequences if they committed such an action. But since its the US they have the crucial Veto power vote which blocks any such sanctions against them.

Im not defending what terrorist do. Its just that to solve the issue we have to look at whats causing it, whats behind the hatred towards the west.

Rafy,
Have you read this entire thread? Of course terrorism has existed before the Iraq war. I said that I was using the Iraq war as an recent example, all those bombings are responses to US foreign policy which includeds the Iraq war but many other policies that have effected that particular regines in the world.

The problem is this, these people who feel oppressed in someway feel that they have no other avenue to achieve their goals so the resort to suicide bombings.  Now I dont agree with it but if we collectively want to end terrorism, we have to look past the excuse of "oh they just hate the west".

I seriously cant go on and type reply after reply so Ill just say read some Noam Chomsky and watch Control Room. Once you have, it will give you some other avenues of interests to look at.
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by Plik on 10-03-2005 at 10:43 PM

quote:
I reccomend watching the docuementary called the Control Room. Its about US media vs Al jeezra. It explains who those people were when saddams statue was knocked over.
Lets just argree to you can believe your propaganda and ill believe mine
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by paperless on 10-03-2005 at 10:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
Terrorists have been around for YEARS and it's certainly not only because of the US!
lol.... Off course it is, specially the ones in london, madrid and iraq..

Well these ones in bali are probably not because of the US, i admit, but most that hapenned and that will probably happen are because of USA.

Well i dont really care anymore let them happen, i will start to care when it reaches my country until then there is nothing i can do and im tired of thinking and finding reasons that can justfify why the world has become so crazy so im just kind of "not giving a shit" to the rest of the world, at least in terms of political garbage.
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by matty on 10-03-2005 at 10:54 PM

Honestly is bad so many things are being said to be "terrorist attacks". I could see CNN saying that a Building Demolition is a terrorist attack.

LOL hahahaha

This is just :spam:.

RE: RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by steVenB on 10-03-2005 at 11:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
quote:
I reccomend watching the docuementary called the Control Room. Its about US media vs Al jeezra. It explains who those people were when saddams statue was knocked over.
Lets just argree to you can believe your propaganda and ill believe mine

I guess thats the case. But without seeing both view points, nothing gets solved.
RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by Facta on 10-04-2005 at 12:19 AM

I hate those people who will kill inocent people without a reason,-ther is not a reason to kill someone lol-

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by Pipish on 10-04-2005 at 01:20 AM

Bali has been targetted again around 40 killed i belive and 100's injured its horrible to see they also belive this is the work of JI

its stands for somthing that i wont even begin to spell

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by rav0 on 10-04-2005 at 01:22 AM

I just heard on the news it is 22 people dead so far (they said the number had dropped :S).

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by -rafy- on 10-04-2005 at 04:55 AM

To say that the bombing are the direct result of the Iraq war is to delude oneself and to avoid the real issues. Its probally an attempt to score a cheap shot at that war with no real basis in truth.

As i said, Bali is just one attack in an ongoing war that has raged on for the last 2 decades. It is ignorant to say that if Iraq didnt happen that London or Bali owuldnt have! Terrorist attacks on the west would have happened regardless of the Iraq war or not.

I doubt that any of those who blew themselves up on Saturday were involved in Iraq, or were directly affected by it. Their actions were Not provoke by Iraq, but in their quest to continue the "jihhad" on the west.

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by steVenB on 10-04-2005 at 02:48 PM

Rafy,

Iraq is not the only reason why terrorism exists, like I have said before US foreign policy is at the root of jihad. Now those attacks on Bali and London effect citizens of those countries that support the US invasion of Iraq. That being said Bin Laden has promised to attack those countries who have supported the Afghan war. Thus those attacks on London and Bali could have been a response to that war as well. But you can’t deny that the Invasion of Iraq did stir up more anti west feelings. This is how they justify the killing of civilians. Civilians pay their taxes, which go towards such things as military weaponary/developement. They see civilians playing a direct role in the war, as they are the ones partially paying for it, there for making them a legitimate target. Sick and twisted but sadly true.

Sure those people who blew themselves up weren't directly involved with the Iraq War but you must understand that all these terrorists around the world are linked with a common bound, a sick twisted version of Islam. They believe that their religion is under attack. They see their Muslim brothers and sisters brutalized by the war and this is why they answer the call to jihad.

Rafy, if you like, you can add me to msn if you like disscussing these sorts of issues.

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by evil_panda on 10-04-2005 at 04:01 PM

I really hope there i no more attacks like this to any country i think that the are useing riligious means to make it okay for them to do this sort of thing to other countries:(

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by LittleK on 10-04-2005 at 10:25 PM

Terrorism has been around for years, just been covered up. Its a sick and vile thing, but at the moment, its inevitable that it will happen so.. just make each day count, just in case :(

edit: what is the world coming to when a girl of 16 says terrorism is inevitable?

* LittleK shakes head

RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by lordy on 10-05-2005 at 01:34 AM

quote:
I just heard on the news it is 22 people dead so far (they said the number had dropped :S).

they did a hospital count and lowered the original estimation ;)

I don't know about these attacks, but the first bali bombings on October 12th 2002 were actually targetted at australia, because it's such a popular tourist destination for australians. imo it's only a metter of time b4 australia is attacked directly, and b4 the US is once again attacked directly. i dont mean to scare anyone, but that just my opinion
RE: RE: ANOTHER terrorist attack by -rafy- on 10-05-2005 at 04:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
i dont mean to scare anyone, but that just my opinion

Fear is the terrorists greatest weapon. Unfortunately it is also self-perpetuating.