Shoutbox

Improving Options Space - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Improving Options Space (/showthread.php?tid=51507)

Improving Options Space by WillyWonka on 10-07-2005 at 09:14 PM

Why not change the tabs to the left to plain and simple text? Like...Winamp for example. They have endless preferences and all in a small and clean window. Why not do something similar to MessengerPlus?

RE: Improving Options Space by Weyzza on 10-07-2005 at 11:21 PM

We actually had a treeview preferences back when Plus! 3 had not been released.

The "tab"-look is (or was) the new feature when Plus! 3 was released for the first time :)

Edit:
We at first disliked the new look, but I think we all get used to it :p
Clickie clickie... This actually represented my feeling, too :p

Found this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=31...d=311709#pid311709

Patchou promised that he would add a regkey for that view, but i don't know if he has added the key.

btw, Plus! 2 looked like the attachment posted by BooGhost (scroll up a little bit) ;)

If you really want to see first version of Plus!, CookieRevised got it covered up :p
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=28...d=277077#pid277077

RE: Improving Options Space by sena on 10-08-2005 at 11:08 AM

Not having images would be stupid, it would make it look ugly and un-professional.  Simple text, yuck

RE: Improving Options Space by Impheatus on 10-08-2005 at 02:25 PM

Some people likes that kind of view... and it doesn't make the program look un-professional, in fact, most advanced user think that view looks more leet than a view with image that are intended for "noobs" so the interface is friendlier.

RE: Improving Options Space by WillyWonka on 10-08-2005 at 07:59 PM

Then how about making the images smaller and more discrete? Or atleast make the sub-tabs (in the right part of the window) smaller. they don't really have to be that big you know. One option is to make the entire Preferences window bigger.

RE: Improving Options Space by mwe99 on 10-08-2005 at 11:23 PM

well don't forget alot of inexperience people use this program. therefore instead of changing,,, how about an option to change

RE: Improving Options Space by CookieRevised on 10-08-2005 at 11:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WillyWonka
Then how about making the images smaller and more discrete? Or atleast make the sub-tabs (in the right part of the window) smaller. they don't really have to be that big you know.
When time comes, I'm sure Guido and Patchou will redesign the whole preferences again to make room for more stuff...

quote:
Originally posted by WillyWonka
One option is to make the entire Preferences window bigger.
Not really, such screen shouldn't really be any bigger than something smaller than 640x480.

Because people with that resolution (yes, there are still people using it) or people who are forced in that resolution (eg: after reinstalling a buggy driver or what not) should also still be able to access everything.

There is nothing more annoying than a dialog screen which is bigger than your resolution, in _any_ circumstances...

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
well don't forget alot of inexperience people use this program. therefore instead of changing,,, how about an option to change

But what good would an option like that be if there isn't anything more to show? Currently, everything which should fit in the preferences dialog is shown and does fit, special option or not...

It will be redesigned when it needs to be...
RE: Improving Options Space by mwe99 on 10-09-2005 at 02:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

But what good would an option like that be if there isn't anything more to show?

I guess that depends on how you prefer your prefernces, however i think the design is great and if you wanna make it into text, then make a plugin and use it for yourself willywonka or ask for one, and someone might make it.

RE: Improving Options Space by WillyWonka on 10-09-2005 at 08:02 PM

Then how about an Advanced section of the preferences? Like...I think vlc uses such features. You can choose to have a small and ordinary options window (the one currently in use) with some unaccessable features. And one more advanced options window (Taking the Winamp example again) with a full set of features and tweak-stuff.

RE: Improving Options Space by CookieRevised on 10-09-2005 at 08:18 PM

Why not adding a feature to skin Plus! completely? As it is exactly that what it is, "nothing more". Adding 1 option to change the layout of the sidebar menu is pointless...

Patchou and Guido have made the layout and look of Plus! as it is because they like it, it looks good, it is sufficient and has room enough for now.

Such an option will not be added just because a few like a more basic old plain look. There is no reason to change it (for the moment). And if there was a reason (lack of room in future updates), they would redesign it...

So, unless they add a complete skinning feature, don't count on such an option being added.

;)

RE: Improving Options Space by WillyWonka on 10-09-2005 at 08:34 PM

Well a complete re-skinning of the entire plus isn't really that bad of an idea. Adding a section to skin the entire messenger. ICQ has such features huh? Why not redesign that idea to fit MSN Messenger? Come on, think about it. It's quite a cool idea.

RE: Improving Options Space by Patchou on 10-12-2005 at 05:06 PM

I could add an option to display a text only list, I'm just not sure there's such a high demand for this. I'll check it out and if it does not create too many complications, I'll do it in the next update :)

RE: Improving Options Space by WillyWonka on 10-12-2005 at 05:38 PM

Thnx =)