Shoutbox

BlueTooth Chat Application - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: BlueTooth Chat Application (/showthread.php?tid=51552)

BlueTooth Chat Application by TheBlasphemer on 10-08-2005 at 10:24 PM

In class me and my friends often send messages to eachothers mobile phone using bluetooth during class,
However a few downsides are that some mobiles can only send calendar messages, some don't show the sender, it's pretty slow, etc.
So I decided to write a Java Application that will make this chatting easier :)
The plan is to make a simple chatbox, in which everyone can participate, much like the msgplus IRC-channel, but then in class :D
I'm even considering having all mobiles send out each recieved message to increase the range:
Like Frank, Ben and Tom are in the classroom, Ben can reach Frank and Tom via bluetooth, but Frank and Tom are too far apart to reach eachother. If Frank sends out a message, and Ben receives it, Ben will send along the message so that Tom gets it too. If a lot of people use it in your school, this could enable you to chat with people in a classroom at the other side of the school (although it will be pretty slow ;))

So how am I progressing?
At the moment, I have a simple chat program that I tested only on the emulator.
It's far from finished, messages sent quickly after eachother get lost, but at least It's a start :)

If you would like to test it, you can :P
I've attached both the jad and jar files to this post ;)
For information on how to upload jar and jad files to your phone, use google :P It differs too much per phone :(

EDIT:
Attachment removed, latest version can from now on be found at http://files.stuffplug.com/btchat/

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by t1a0s on 10-08-2005 at 10:36 PM

I installed it on my phone (Motorola v600) and it just gave me an application error :( Sounds like a really cool program tho, i'll deff be using it when it works for me :D

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by TheBlasphemer on 10-08-2005 at 10:37 PM

Mind telling me what application error?

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by t1a0s on 10-08-2005 at 10:37 PM

It just says: Application Error. It doesnt give any specific code or anything sorry.

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by -dt- on 10-09-2005 at 01:18 PM

Works fine here on my nokia 6630 (well I cant test it with someone else yet....tomorrow i will)

screenshot time:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=548580]

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by TheBlasphemer on 10-09-2005 at 01:43 PM

Hmmm, that's odd, those text are supposed to be under eachother :P

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Luigi on 10-09-2005 at 02:39 PM

They appear near each other also for me (Nokia 6260)
[Image: attachment.php?pid=548622]

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by mwe99 on 10-09-2005 at 03:21 PM

works on my SE K750i and on that the text is under each other :)  i just need someone to try it with now lol

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by linx05 on 10-09-2005 at 03:22 PM

This looks promising. Makes me want to get rid of my crappy phone for one which supports BlueTooth (and video recording :P)

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by mwe99 on 10-09-2005 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
This looks promising. Makes me want to get rid of my crappy phone for one which supports BlueTooth (and video recording :P)

definitely lol, however is it available to download via WAP? :P i had to put it on my memory stick and had to stick it in my phone like that
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by linx05 on 10-09-2005 at 03:52 PM

I'm no expert but couldn't you just host it then download it? Would it automatically set up?

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Stigmata on 10-09-2005 at 04:02 PM

Nokia 7650

Transfered files
Started Installing

then

quote:
Applications:
System Error

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by ShawnZ on 10-09-2005 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the1andonlysparky
I installed it on my phone (Motorola v600) and it just gave me an application error :( Sounds like a really cool program tho, i'll deff be using it when it works for me :D

Same problem with my motorola v220. Although my problem is probably because my phone doesn't have bluetooth. :p
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Mike on 10-09-2005 at 05:39 PM

I have a Sony Ericsson T630:

I transfered the jar file first via infrared.
After the transfer was completed, my mobile phone was saying "Saving..." and after that it just said "Invalid Application" :(
I also tried transfering the jad file first, my phone accepted it, then tried transfering the jar file, and it still said "Invalid Application" :(

I also have a Nokia (+o() 6230 but i dont know how to transfer it... :-/
Oh, i remember now, Nokia has an application installer...

Offtopic:

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-

[Image: attachment.php?pid=548580]

quote:
Originally posted by Luigi
[Image: attachment.php?pid=548622]

How do you take pics of your mobile phone?? :O
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by -dt- on 10-09-2005 at 05:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
How do you take pics of your mobile phone??
http://www.gosymbian.com/fexplorer_new.php

thats what I used then i went into its options  and enabled screenshot ( tools -> turn screenshot ON)
then whenever you want to take a pic you just hit the pencil (abc) button and 0 to take a screenshot.
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by John Anderton on 10-09-2005 at 06:16 PM

I must say i love the idea and i am willing to try it out TB

Ill even carry the installers so i can give em to others ;) Otherwise whats the use :P

Anyways .... be sure to keep us updated cause this is an awesome idea ;)

quote:
How do you take pics of your mobile phone?? :O
Mike is nub :tongue:

There is a lot more than you can do with FExplorer btw .... just remember that it is a beta and you can use it only for 14 days .... unless .... 8-)

Ok TB here are a few of my thoughts ......
well 1st .... it works on my 7610 :)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=548770]

2nd Why does it ask everytime permission to use bluetooth. I am guessing this means there isnt a way to remember my choice everytime.

3rd It gives an error if your BT is off. In time it could me changed to asking the user permission for turning BT on ;)

4th When in the text box typing what i want and if i press the keypad joystick thingy could it send the message directly instead of me having to click options and send .... for now its ok

More over ill send this to some people at my university tomorow and ill test it with them assuming that i get time :p

Good job (Y) ;)

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by -dt- on 10-09-2005 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
you can use it only for 14 days .... unless ....
.... FExplorer is freeware btw

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by John Anderton on 10-09-2005 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
you can use it only for 14 days .... unless ....
.... FExplorer is freeware btw

Yeah but it the new beta version expires after 14 days afaik
I never said you have to buy it :P

It gave me and my friend an error "Your beta version has expired"
O.o :S o.O

quote:
Oh, i remember now, Nokia has an application installer...

Install nokia's Pc suite, connect phone via usb/ ir / BT dingo(/dango) thingy and then double click the installation (.jar) file

You are done :)

Ok mike & (confused) dt read this

Beta -> gosymbian.com -> click FExplorer Download
Then you reach here

Read this
quote:
Originally posted by FExplorer site

FileExplorer 1.14 BETA - English 

version : september 29th, 2005.
expiration date : end of october 2005.
Any remark, comments, bugs should be reported via the forum.

That is what i meant

Old version ->
Some random clicks here and there later you reach here (the normal version download page)

And this says:-
quote:
Originally posted by Fexplorer site
Downloads (never expired)

So now do you know what i meant dt ??

Sorry for the tagging its that im sleepy and im doing this so i wanted to make my point in one go :P
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Mike on 10-09-2005 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Well, I dont have a symbian mobile phone, so i cant have these applicatons... :P

Anyway, it seems that it only works for symbian enabled phones ( ? )...
TB, you should check it out... ;)
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by TheBlasphemer on 10-09-2005 at 07:44 PM

It's supposed to work with all phones supporting MIDP2.0 with Bluetooth/OBEX (JSR 82)
I've just finished a small fix, this new version will queue messages if another message is in transit. You can get it at http://files.stuffplug.com/btchat/
This will allow you to also install it if your phone only supports installation trough WAP.
Please bear in mind though that I make no garantuee on the stability of my server, and if a WAP download fails and it costs you money, Irt's your own responsibility...

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Mike on 10-09-2005 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
MIDP2.0
What's MIDP2.0? :S

I don't really know if my phone has it, but, I'm sure that it has Bluetooth and OBEX file transfer... :P
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by TheBlasphemer on 10-09-2005 at 07:53 PM

It's the latest version of java Midlets (applications for phone),
Bluetooth isn't available on MIDP1.0, so if you have bluetooth, you've almost certainly got MIDP2.0 ;)

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Mike on 10-09-2005 at 07:56 PM

quote:
It's the latest version of java Midlets (applications for phone),
Bluetooth isn't available on MIDP1.0, so if you have bluetooth, you've almost certainly got MIDP2.0 ;)
So, that means that it should work for me... :-/

When I transfer the jar file, it will say "Invalid Application" and nothing else.
It wont even save it!

But it does accept the jad file...

Sony Ericsson T630...
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by TheBlasphemer on 10-09-2005 at 08:00 PM

I don't have the slightest idea, sorry...
I suggest you ask around on some Sony Ericsson forums...

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by mwe99 on 10-09-2005 at 08:03 PM

it works on my SE phone, how are you getting it on your phone?

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by TheBlasphemer on 10-09-2005 at 08:10 PM

I myself simply put it on my memorycard and install, install using the PC-Suite from Nokia (which is currently broken, however :P), or download it using WiFi ;)
I did notice that the JAD file doesn't work on my phone though...
Does it work on other phones?

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Nathan on 10-09-2005 at 08:11 PM

It just comes up a load of symbals for the jar. one and words for the gad. one

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by TheBlasphemer on 10-09-2005 at 08:13 PM

I suggest you google for:
"Install jar <your phone>"
or
"Install jad <your phone>"

I fixed the JAD file too btw :)
was a simple typo ;)

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by ipab on 10-09-2005 at 08:26 PM

works! :)

thanks for the app, sending to a bunch of friends right now. Way to bo TB.(Y)

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Mike on 10-09-2005 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
it works on my SE phone, how are you getting it on your phone?
What is your model?
Im using infrared, but I also have bluetooth, but a friend has borrowed it... :(
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by John Anderton on 10-10-2005 at 04:17 PM

quote:
quote:
Well, I dont have a symbian mobile phone, so i cant have these applicatons... :P

Anyway, it seems that it only works for symbian enabled phones ( ? )...
TB, you should check it out... ;)
A) yes its for symbian phones only :)
B) Dont tell me he doesnt know that !!! Even ppl with symbians phones and no pc connection and or wap connection have it :S
I got it when i was browsing a few sites .....

quote:
It's supposed to work with all phones supporting MIDP2.0 with Bluetooth/OBEX (JSR 82)
I've just finished a small fix, this new version will queue messages if another message is in transit. You can get it at http://files.stuffplug.com/btchat/
This will allow you to also install it if your phone only supports installation trough WAP.
Please bear in mind though that I make no garantuee on the stability of my server, and if a WAP download fails and it costs you money, Irt's your own responsibility...
Ok .... uninstall the old one then install the new one rite ?? Does does it allow direct updates ???
Neways till u reply ill do the uninstall and install method ;)
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Mike on 10-10-2005 at 04:50 PM

Ok, tried installing to a SE T610 and a SE Z600 via WAP, but it didn't work... :(

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Slein on 10-11-2005 at 05:57 PM

I'm having a Samsung D500, and I tryed this and this tut.. but it doen't work!

When I'm using this tut:
I can't click on
[Image: newcon2.jpg]

And when I use this tut:
This happens: "If you do see the progress bar but the phone freezes for a couple of seconds and then it reboots itself, it may mean that the connection is all right, but the Softick PPP is not actived or your device is not ticked in settings."

PLZZ HELP ME!!!!!
because I would love the feature!!!!

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by John Anderton on 10-11-2005 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slein
I'm having a Samsung D500, and I tryed this and this tut.. but it doen't work!

When I'm using this tut:
I can't click on
img]http://315.fiberworld.nl/d500/guide/newcon2.jpg[/img]

And when I use this tut:
This happens: "If you do see the progress bar but the phone freezes for a couple of seconds and then it reboots itself, it may mean that the connection is all right, but the Softick PPP is not actived or your device is not ticked in settings."

PLZZ HELP ME!!!!!
because I would love the feature!!!!
Doesnt your D500 come with a manual with this stuff or an app installer like the one that comes with nokia ???
RE: RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Slein on 10-11-2005 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Doesnt your D500 come with a manual with this stuff or an app installer like the one that comes with nokia ???

No because t is only a very quick guide.. but I'm downlaoding now the latest User manual.
Oh there he is...
8-|
But must read for English a book (Cause I'm Dutch) and I'm |-) So I'll read it towmorrow!
BUT PLZZ IF YOU KNOW SOMETHING>>> POST IT!!! PLZZZZZZ:$
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by TheBlasphemer on 10-11-2005 at 07:29 PM

All I know is that a friend has a Samsung E720, which needs roughly the same procedure, but he never got it to work...

RE: RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Slein on 10-12-2005 at 06:06 AM

quote:
All I know is that a friend has a Samsung E720, which needs roughly the same procedure, but he never got it to work...

Not very good news you say?
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Slein on 10-12-2005 at 06:11 AM

hhhm the Manual I downloaded... is the same "quick" as my own!

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by TheBlasphemer on 10-12-2005 at 06:18 AM

... And that's why Nokia is superior :) I've got an actual book with it being the manual ;)

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by rav0 on 10-12-2005 at 08:30 AM

Sony Ericsson T630, Sony Ericsson Z600, and, Sony Ericsson T610, all have Bluetooth, and Java support, but MIDP 1.0, not MIDP 2.0.

This means that Java applications aren't able to access many functions such as camera, internet, and Bluetooth, which is the problem in this case.

These are useful webpages for those who own one of these phones:

JAVA SOCKETS FOR T610 Petition - Petition to Sony Ericsson demanding MIDP 2.0 in the T610

Give T610 Java MIDP 2 Support (irc/msn/bluetooth/etc...) - Forum topic archive of a thread discussing the lack of MIDP 2.0 and its concequences in everyday situations

Reply to Nokia: FreeJack at bluejackQ® discussion forums by eXentric - An old, but informative, post in an unrelated topic which discusses possible workarounds of the limitations of MIDP 1.0

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Mike on 10-12-2005 at 11:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Sony Ericsson T630, Sony Ericsson Z600, and, Sony Ericsson T610, all have Bluetooth, and Java support, but MIDP 1.0, not MIDP 2.0.

This means that Java applications aren't able to access many functions such as camera, internet, and Bluetooth, which is the problem in this case.

JAVA SOCKETS FOR T610 Petition - Petition to Sony Ericsson demanding MIDP 2.0 in the T610

Give T610 Java MIDP 2 Support (irc/msn/bluetooth/etc...) - Forum topic archive of a thread discussing the lack of MIDP 2.0 and its concequences in everyday situations

Reply to Nokia: FreeJack at bluejackQ® discussion forums by eXentric - An old, but informative, post in an unrelated topic which discusses possible workarounds of the limitations of MIDP 1.0
That really sucks! :(

I signed the petion, but petions never work... :(

RE: RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by rav0 on 10-12-2005 at 12:00 PM

quote:

I know!
quote:
They do actually, but they are less likely to when they are web based, and even less in this case, because to get MIDP 2.0, we have to buy new $500+ phones, and if the petition works they make less money.
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Blair on 10-12-2005 at 12:37 PM

installed fine on my SE K750i, great idea... will test it with some mates asap...:D

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Nathan on 10-12-2005 at 05:14 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rav0

They do work (sometimes ) think about the petiton we all signed :P

Could someone list all the SE that support MIDP 2.0 Please?

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Slein on 10-12-2005 at 06:32 PM

Is there seriously no one who can help me? because everyone says this tut works for D500 java upload things. But Maybee there is someone who can tell me How I
can enable this:

[Image: newcon2.jpg]

becaus this is what happens to me:

[Image: connection0jv.jpg]

Can any one help me whith how I can enable this 8-)*-)

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Mike on 03-08-2006 at 12:54 PM

Sorry for bumping this 5-months old thread...

I installed this on a friend's Sony Ericsson K750 (latest firmware version I think).
It installed fine, however, when I open the application, I can't send the message.

There is a textbox to type your message, however, I find a way to send the message.

Tommorow, I will try with a K700, and tell if it there is a way to send the message.

For those who tried it with your K750, how do you send the message?

By the way, the feature that sends the message to the receiver that BT can't reach using a receiver that BT can reach is not implented yet eh? :(

Kinda-offtopic: The site's MIME types should be changed about JAR and JAD files: I tried visiting the site with the phone, and all I was getting was text!

Sorry for asking so many questions... :P

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by ayjay on 03-08-2006 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Tommorow, I will try with a K700, and tell if it there is a way to send the message.
Getting the "Application Error" on my K700i :(
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by AlexaD on 06-30-2007 at 10:26 AM

If you look for a good (and free ;-) chat software for your phone, try SubliMobi bluetooth chat (http://www.sublimobi.com).

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by rav0 on 06-30-2007 at 11:28 AM

Does anybody have this program? The original link is dead :(, and now I have a phone (that should be) capable of running it.

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Chris4 on 06-30-2007 at 12:11 PM

Why did it take me 2 years to find this ;<

/me downloads :cheesy:

Great it it works!!! (Y)

Dead link :|

Hmm, similar program:
http://www.mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/
http://www.mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/screenshots.php

Mirror: http://www.bluejackingtools.com/unix/btchat/

RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by andrewdodd13 on 06-30-2007 at 12:37 PM

Note - The K700i, although it has Bluetooth and MIDP2, does not support the Java MIDP Bluetooth extensions. The K750i does.

I can imagine this is what is causing a lot of errors for people with older SE (and other manufacturers) models.

I installed my Bluetooth drivers on my laptop except the FNHW keeps crashing while coping btaudio.sys... I always said I loved Windows...

RE: RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by rav0 on 06-30-2007 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Why did it take me 2 years to find this ;<

/me downloads :cheesy:

Great it it works!!! (Y)

Dead link :|

Hmm, similar program:
http://www.mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/
http://www.mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/screenshots.php

Mirror: http://www.bluejackingtools.com/unix/btchat/

Heh, I saw this thread when it was made but didn't have a supporting phone then. The program that you linked to is for Linux, not for JME, the second website looks promising though.
RE: BlueTooth Chat Application by Chris4 on 06-30-2007 at 12:43 PM

Oh I thought they was the same :P