Shoutbox

Making more space on disk drive - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Making more space on disk drive (/showthread.php?tid=51555)

Making more space on disk drive by zach on 10-09-2005 at 02:37 AM

I just uninstalled some games and delete old files, but the amount of free space on the disk didn't change. Why doesn't it?

Of course I have emptied the recycling bin.

RE: Making more space on disk drive by ddunk on 10-09-2005 at 02:43 AM

Have you emptied the recycle bin?

RE: Making more space on disk drive by Mike on 10-09-2005 at 08:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach

I just uninstalled some games and delete old files, but the amount of free space on the disk didn't change. Why doesn't it?

Were they using Microsoft Installer, because when you uninstall programs with it, instead of freeing disk space, it uses more disk space...
RE: Making more space on disk drive by zach on 10-09-2005 at 09:01 AM

"Were they using Microsoft Installer, because when you uninstall programs with it, instead of freeing disk space, it uses more disk space... "
Some of them did. Why on earth would they use more disk space?

RE: Making more space on disk drive by Reaper on 10-09-2005 at 10:53 AM

with the games you removed, check in the program files folder and remove the game folder, leaves a few mbs in there

RE: Making more space on disk drive by Mike on 10-09-2005 at 10:56 AM

quote:
"Were they using Microsoft Installer, because when you uninstall programs with it, instead of freeing disk space, it uses more disk space... "
Some of them did. Why on earth would they use more disk space?
Well, I once I uninstalled a game and a program which were kinda big (the game was near 500 MBs and the program was around 200 MBs) and there wasn't any space freeded...

But when I uninstalled a game which it was installer was installshield, it did free space!
RE: RE: Making more space on disk drive by CookieRevised on 10-09-2005 at 01:34 PM

quote:

It is quite possible that the amount was so little that it isn't reflected in the figure you see... eg: removing 10MB from 9GB, will still be reported as 9GB. To know the exact size do a proper scan of your whole HDD, don't rely on rounded numbers...

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Were they using Microsoft Installer, because when you uninstall programs with it, instead of freeing disk space, it uses more disk space...
Uninstalling programs which were installed with MSI, certainly don't eat more diskspace! That doesn't make any sense...
If you encountered something like that it certainly doesn't mean it is always so. It means you either messed something up, or the uninstaller didn't function of that particular program.

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
with the games you removed, check in the program files folder and remove the game folder, leaves a few mbs in there
Not always. If you uninstalled (note: not simply "delete") games properly, everything should be removed by the uninstaller. In most cases this is so, but only in a few occasions some small stuff can be left (eg: you have some savegames)...

---------------------

Uninstalling or removing or deleting will ALWAYS free space! That's the whole point of uninstalling, removing, deleting, etc... If it didn't there would be no point in (un)installing anything, heck there would be no point for a HDD and no point for computers in general... If you remove 500MB, then 500MB will be freed... always... (even if you didn't clear the recycle bin, the space is freed and marked as obsolete and ready to be used again)
RE: Making more space on disk drive by zach on 10-10-2005 at 03:11 AM

Well I didn't see the amount of space free change at all. I was expecting to have about 10gbs more space. Maybe that was a bit too much to expect to go, but I'm sure that before I installed heaps of the games, that's how much more there was.

RE: Making more space on disk drive by Rubber Stamp on 10-10-2005 at 07:39 AM

start-all programs-accesories-system tools-disk cleanup.
select the drive, check all the things it displays and click OK. it will surely free up space. freed out 2 GB in mine

RE: Making more space on disk drive by CookieRevised on 10-10-2005 at 09:47 AM

quote:
Well I didn't see the amount of space free change at all. I was expecting to have about 10gbs more space. Maybe that was a bit too much to expect to go, but I'm sure that before I installed heaps of the games, that's how much more there was.
It isn't because you installed lots of games that you used lots of disk space. Many games simply only install the launchers and critical files and all the rest (the vast large files) stay on the cdroms.
RE: Making more space on disk drive by Chestah on 10-10-2005 at 09:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
It isn't because you installed lots of games that you used lots of disk space. Many games simply only install the launchers and critical files and all the rest (the vast large files) stay on the cdroms.

not really :P, most games these days install most data onto the computer and most only need the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM for checking to see if your version is legit or to view movies that are incorporated into the games itself.
RE: Making more space on disk drive by CookieRevised on 10-10-2005 at 10:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
not really :P, most games these days install most data onto the computer and most only need the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM for checking to see if your version is legit or to view movies that are incorporated into the games itself.
I didn't say most games, I said many games :p since that highly depends from game to game and type of installation to installation (it even can depend on what type and speed your PC is)... Anyways, the amount of such games aren't important. Important is that it is not nessecairly because you installed a certain game, that your HDD is suddenly 10GB smaller...
RE: Making more space on disk drive by zach on 10-11-2005 at 03:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rubber Stamp
start-all programs-accesories-system tools-disk cleanup.
select the drive, check all the things it displays and click OK. it will surely free up space. freed out 2 GB in mine
That's one of the things I did.

Well there must have been some things that someone else installed on my computer. All the smaller things build up and take up alot of space too...

Thanks for the suggestions ;)
RE: Making more space on disk drive by Chestah on 10-11-2005 at 06:25 AM

If your really worried about space and you think some where along the line somethings not right in terms of how much space you believe you should have then an option you have is to start fresh - formatting. Next time you install windows you can even create a partition just for windows and one for your software so this problem can be solved easier in the future :).

RE: Making more space on disk drive by MeEtc on 10-11-2005 at 05:09 PM

Here's what i do to empty some disk space: go and delete some of your older restore points from System Restore, browse Program Files, My Docs and delete the useless shit, run the disk cleaner as mentioned above, (won't free space but....) run defrag, get rid of your old tunes or vids you don't use anymore....

RE: Making more space on disk drive by Rubber Stamp on 10-11-2005 at 05:49 PM

even i m having a similar prob, the place i got my new HD from did the wierdest partitioning, 27 GB in one drive and just around 10 GB in C:
now i need to keep deleting old files. best way- get another Hd.

RE: Making more space on disk drive by CookieRevised on 10-11-2005 at 10:56 PM

quote:
even i m having a similar prob, the place i got my new HD from did the wierdest partitioning, 27 GB in one drive and just around 10 GB in C:
That's not wierd at all. They did it so you can install Windows on C and use the other drive as your data drive. This actually is a very good way of managing your space and has some big benefits.
RE: Making more space on disk drive by Concord Dawn on 10-12-2005 at 12:56 AM

quote:
quote:
That's not wierd at all. They did it so you can install Windows on C and use the other drive as your data drive. This actually is a very good way of managing your space and has some big benefits.

One of them being that as long as your entire disk drive doesn't fail when Windows dies, you will always be able to get your data.
RE: RE: Making more space on disk drive by Rubber Stamp on 10-12-2005 at 07:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
quote:
quote:

One of them being that as long as your entire disk drive doesn't fail when Windows dies, you will always be able to get your data.

but now i get the 'disk space less ' error every second day. real frustrating!
thanx for telling tho.
* Rubber Stamp feels hes such a noob!
RE: Making more space on disk drive by Chestah on 10-12-2005 at 07:50 AM

When your installing programs install them on your data drive instead of installing them on your Windows C: drive. 10 gig is perfect for windows allowing windows extra room to work with when its necessary. If you start reducing this space windows may not beable to work as fast and these disk space errors may begin to occur.