Shoutbox

Just wondering... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Just wondering... (/showthread.php?tid=51680)

Just wondering... by jcrust on 10-11-2005 at 11:01 PM

If someone can make a plugin that rearranges the Contact List according to the name of the renamed contacts? Currently Messenger Plus! arranges renamed contacts according to their respective e-mail addresses.

This would make Contact Lists a whole lot neater. So I am wondering if there are any such plug-ins or can someone make it. Or did I just completely misunderstood the meanings of plug-ins? lol

Thanks =)

RE: Just wondering... by J-Thread on 10-11-2005 at 11:03 PM

I think this is more a request for a feature in msg plus!. A plugin is more for completely new functions, and not for solving "bugs" in msg plus:)

RE: Just wondering... by CookieRevised on 10-11-2005 at 11:07 PM

@jcrust
1) Plus! doesn't rearrange anything; it is MSN Messenger that sorts the list (because it uses email addresses when you activate the custom names feature in Plus!. And that is because Plus! needs something unique to identify the items so it knows what item to change into what text)
2) not possible with a simple plugin
3) if Patchou can't do it (atm), I strongly doubt anyone else can do it (with a plugin/addon)

@J-Thread
4) this isn't a bug in messenger Plus!, nor a bug in MSN Messenger; heck it isn't a bug at all...
(PS: yeah, I noticed you used quotes. But still... I wanted to make it clear (maybe to others who read this ;))

RE: Just wondering... by J-Thread on 10-12-2005 at 06:00 AM

Yes I do know it isn't a bug, off course not;). But my english isn't that good and I don't know the word for "verbetering" so I wrote solve "bugs"(Y)

RE: Just wondering... by T-PO on 10-12-2005 at 08:46 AM

@j-thread

The english word voor "verbetering" is "enhancement" :P

Regards,

T-PO

RE: Just wondering... by J-Thread on 10-12-2005 at 09:59 AM

I just though of "improvement", but well, I didn't know the word at the moment I typed my message, and I thought people would understand me. But thanks anyway, I'll try to improve my english:D

RE: Just wondering... by TheBlasphemer on 10-12-2005 at 01:39 PM

To be honest, I successfully found the name sorting bit, and I'm able to change it.
I tried to implement this, but Plus's custom names are encrypted in the registry, and Patchou won't tell me how to decrypt em...

RE: Just wondering... by Mike on 10-12-2005 at 01:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
To be honest, I successfully found the name sorting bit, and I'm able to change it.
I tried to implement this, but Plus's custom names are encrypted in the registry, and Patchou won't tell me how to decrypt em...
Thats too bad... :(
Well, since it's possible, Patchou could try finding out how you did it, and add it to the next version of Plus! ...
RE: Just wondering... by L. Coyote on 10-12-2005 at 03:24 PM

quote:
He did say he'd make some API function to return the decrypted custom names without giving away the method of encryption... I guess it must've slipped or he'll allow it in next version?

He already said he wouldn't tell anyone how to do it, because of privacy problems, I think... It's in some thread by raceprouk...

Nice finding, btw (Y)
RE: Just wondering... by Ezra on 10-12-2005 at 03:28 PM

Why not tell patchou the way how to sort them, and you don't need to decrypt anything, plus! itself will handle everything

RE: Just wondering... by TheBlasphemer on 10-12-2005 at 03:30 PM

It's one of these things that Patch would never implement, too risky according to him.
Besides, I can't tell him how to do everything, I need some things of my own too...

RE: Just wondering... by Ezra on 10-12-2005 at 03:59 PM

Maybe you can find another way to do it without decrypting the custom names, like getting them directly from memory or something

RE: Just wondering... by Impheatus on 10-12-2005 at 05:20 PM

They're encrypted, they can't be in memory, let's wait for Patchou to implement the return of names in the next API.

RE: Just wondering... by Millenium_edition on 10-12-2005 at 05:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Impheatus
They're encrypted, they can't be in memory, let's wait for Patchou to implement the return of names in the next API.
they're encrypted in the registry but if they're unencrypted in the contact list, then they're obviously in memory
RE: Just wondering... by Ezra on 10-12-2005 at 06:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
they're encrypted in the registry but if they're unencrypted in the contact list, then they're obviously in memory

exactly my point :)

And i'm sure TB can find out how to get it :)
RE: Just wondering... by TheBlasphemer on 10-12-2005 at 06:47 PM

Yes, and I'm also pretty sure TB has other things on his mind, like a "Profielwerkstuk" on which he has to spend 80 hours in about one and a half month...

RE: Just wondering... by matty on 10-12-2005 at 07:09 PM

quote:
Yes, and I'm also pretty sure TB has other things on his mind, like a "Profielwerkstuk" on which he has to spend 80 hours in about one and a half month...
Patchou is going to try and find the best way to implement Encryption into the Plugin API so it gives programmers the ability to convert an email address to an encrypted one that Plus! would use so we can access settings per contact.

My Suggestion was a read only array consisting of all of the information for the contacts like custom name and such. That would probably be the best way then you could just loop through to find the proper contact and their settings. Looping through would be a bit much but it would do the trick.