Shoutbox

MSN and YIM to Merge - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN and YIM to Merge (/showthread.php?tid=51706)

MSN and YIM to Merge by Purity on 10-12-2005 at 01:46 PM

MSN and YIM to Merge

quote:
Yahoo and Microsoft have announced on Wednesday that due to fierce competition with AOL and ICQ that MSN and YIM will merge networks to obtain 44 per cent of the Instant Messenger market.

Another reason Yahoo and Microsoft are merging networks is because of the popularity of internet voice chat communications, a strong competitor being Skype and Google Talk.

Source
RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Exca on 10-12-2005 at 03:14 PM

Nice, so if they work together ,that might be good for the users...

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by qgroessl on 10-12-2005 at 03:27 PM

Would that mean MSN.com and Yahoo.com will merge?... That'd be one kick-ass internet site.

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by mwe99 on 10-12-2005 at 03:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
Would that mean MSN.com and Yahoo.com will merge?... That'd be one kick-ass internet site.
i think it means just the instant messengers

probably just cross compatability or something
RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by linx05 on 10-12-2005 at 03:36 PM

Is this why there was a big increase in the contact size? Because 600 is way too much for MSN if you ask me.

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by hmaster on 10-12-2005 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
Nice, so if they work together ,that might be good for the users...
but they could just bloat it up too :P

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Anubis on 10-12-2005 at 03:53 PM

I really don't expect this to go ahead...a while ago AOL and MSN had almost the same talks, and nothing came of it.

I'm not really in total favour of this (if it goes ahead), every time a new upgrade comes out for either Yahoo or MSN Messenger, they'll have to consider whether this will be worth spending time on if the other client will get baffled with the new information.
Each side will always be trying to make it friendly for the other client, which will limit feature development. Not to mention the legal extra proceedings that will have to go ahead for each new build.

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by RebelSean on 10-12-2005 at 04:00 PM

If this goes ahead, then thank god for it. Yahoo Chat is the most bot filled network of bots I have ever seen in my entire life.

Maybe this is why the MSN team has been "stealing" features from Yahoo and incorperating them into MSN Messenger :o!

RE: RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by -rafy- on 10-12-2005 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl

Its not really a merger in the strict meaning.....just an agreement to be compatible with each others networks so users can talk to each other across the two...

But by combining to create one super IM community, the market power of the two increases dramatically!
RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Fourjays on 10-12-2005 at 05:30 PM

I too, find it unlikely, but if it did go ahead, I wouldn't have a problem with it, providing they don't bloat the software anymore. It's bad enough as it is. They need to work on the quality of the client, not the quantity of features...

As a sidenote, I read in a UK PC Magazine, that Google have said they want GT to allow users to talk to IM users of all other networks. In other words they want GT to be a multi-protocol messenger...

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by absorbation on 10-12-2005 at 05:43 PM

it is only compatiblity between clients i think :P which is a good thing to be able to talk to people using yahoo at the same time :)

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Eljay on 10-12-2005 at 06:19 PM

* Eljay hopes this happens because yahoo protocol seems nicer :P (assuming they switch protocol)

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by King Of Chaos on 10-12-2005 at 06:54 PM

Well it's completely official on both sides, MSN/Yahoo! will be the biggest consumer IM community in the world with interoperability. (not merger, please rename the topic).......

quote:
Originally posted by Microsoft
Microsoft and Yahoo! Announce Landmark Interoperability Agreement to Connect Consumer Instant Messaging Communities Globally
Consumers will be able to exchange instant messages, see presence, share emoticons and add friends from Yahoo! Messenger or MSN Messenger.

SUNNYVALE, Calif., and REDMOND, Wash. — Oct. 12, 2005 — Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) and Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: “MSFT”) today announced a landmark agreement to connect users of their consumer instant messaging (IM) services on a global basis. The industry’s first interoperability agreement between two distinct leading global consumer IM providers will give MSN® Messenger and Yahoo!® Messenger users the ability to interact with each other, forming what is expected to be the largest consumer IM community in the world, estimated to be more than 275 million strong.

Being able to instant message between IM communities is one of the features most requested by MSN Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger users, and Microsoft and Yahoo! share a commitment to provide IM interoperability while keeping consumer security and privacy first and foremost. In addition to exchanging instant messages, consumers from both communities will be able to see their friends’ online presence, share select emoticons, and easily add new contacts from either service to their friends’ list, all as part of their free IM service.* Yahoo! and Microsoft plan to introduce these interconnectivity capabilities between MSN Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger to customers around the world in the second quarter of 2006, and in doing so expect to help make IM an even more useful part of consumers’ online communications and communities.

“Yahoo! and Microsoft share a commitment to providing the highest-quality experience possible for consumers, and today’s groundbreaking announcement underscores our desire to provide consumer interoperability between our thriving IM communities,” said Terry Semel, chief executive officer, Yahoo! Inc. “This is truly a turning point for the IM industry, and we believe our agreement with Microsoft will help usher in a new era of IP communications.”

“Microsoft and Yahoo! look forward to bridging the divide between our global communities, creating richer and easier ways for our customers to connect,” said Steve Ballmer, chief executive officer of Microsoft. “IM interoperability is the right thing for our customers, our businesses and the industry as a whole, and Microsoft is delighted to help lead these efforts with Yahoo!”

And Yahoo has reported about this on there site as well......

quote:
Originally posted by Yahoo!
Group hug! Friends on Yahoo! and MSN can soon share instant messages.

For instant messaging fans, this rates right up there with the Berlin Wall.

Working hand-in-hand with our friends at MSN, we're hammering out a solution to connect our two thriving global IM communities.

Which means soon (we're thinking the first half of 2006), friends on Yahoo! Messenger with Voice and MSN Messenger can see when friends are online, share IMs and emoticons, easily add new contacts from either service to their Messenger Lists, and more.

You've been asking for it.
And now we're delivering the world's largest IM community. It's a wonderful bridge that makes staying in touch easier and more enjoyable for everyone. Hope you can join us.

Perhaps Yahoo! and MSN will improve there programs to refect this (Offline messages, Launchcast, Custom Emoticions, Winks/Audibles, Yahoo Avatars/DDPs, Dynamic Backgrounds/IMVironments....ect ect....

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Luigi on 10-12-2005 at 07:07 PM

Offline messaging... IMVironments... Audibles... THIS would be nice on MSNM :Q_
I like very much yahoo! messenger, more than MSNM (don't flame at me, Yahoo! was my first messenger :° and I still love it ).
I hope that MSN team will adopt Yahoo! emoticons and that yahoo will not ask money for their Dynamic Avatars :\

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by King Of Chaos on 10-12-2005 at 07:12 PM

It would be good if both networks adapted the other network's features....who knows....

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Max on 10-12-2005 at 07:39 PM

I am optimistic that something good might come out of this partnership. ;)

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Supersonicdarky on 10-12-2005 at 08:13 PM

they should merge with icq, cuz i'm tired of having both messengers running :dodgy:

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by King Of Chaos on 10-12-2005 at 09:06 PM

ICQ is a part of AIM/AOL so I don't see that happening anytime soon......

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Negro_Joe on 10-12-2005 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches
I am optimistic that something good might come out of this partnership. ;)

well what could go wrong...:P
RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by CookieRevised on 10-12-2005 at 10:01 PM

All I can say about this is: oh god, even more bloating. And why are they both emphasizing on emoticons????????? This sounds like even more crappy emoticons with unlimited filesizes, framesizes etc... Tbh, yes, great for both communities. But a nightmare for the serious older IM'er as this will mean for sure more """fun""" features so it is "compatible" with each other...

EDIT: @KeyStorm: lol, yeah I know, sorry... but mark my words ;):p

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by KeyStorm on 10-12-2005 at 10:40 PM

Don't be so dramatic, Cookie, it's not that bad, either.

What I wonder is if Patchou will be willing to make a (striped out, maybe) Plus! for Yahoo Messenger!. At least so that things like format names are viewable and such essential compatibility things.

However, I wonder if Yahoo! users would download it at all... :^)

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Purity on 10-12-2005 at 11:03 PM

Wow, the whole idea of msgplus didn't ever cross my mind. :o

* Purity wonders of the possibilities

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Bionic on 10-13-2005 at 12:15 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/oct...ooMessengerPR.mspx

[Image: 10-12msnyahoo.jpg]

Brad Garlinghouse ( L ), vice president of Communications Products at Yahoo! Inc., and Blake Irving, corporate vice president of MSN Communication Services and Member Platform, announce a landmark interoperability agreement to connect users of their consumer instant messaging services on a global basis. Oct. 12, 2005.

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by [MR] on 10-13-2005 at 12:24 AM

thats actually a good idea for them to merge, because im tired of using yahoo messenger to talk to certain people, b/c its just going to slow the computer down more, and i could use plus in some way.

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Hank on 10-13-2005 at 12:50 AM

im all for MSN & YIM Merging, Yahoo messenger itself takes up to much resources anyway

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by dotNorma on 10-13-2005 at 02:50 AM

The only thing it means to me is hopefully MSN Messenger will improve its voice over internet capabiities to the quality of Yahoo's.

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by EvilSeph on 10-13-2005 at 03:41 AM

"Merge" is not a word I'd use. That implies that one company owns both networks not co-operation between both networks - interoperability.

I think this is for the better - it provides consumers with more oppurtunity to have a network of friends in one place rather than having to download and install both clients, one can use the client they like the most.

It's definitely something the community has wanted for a long time - I can recall numerous chats where interoperability has been mentioned, suggested and pushed for.

MSN & Y! - It's a done deal by DragonX on 10-13-2005 at 04:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mess.be

It's official! This morning's story about an IM pact between two leading global consumer IM providers, Microsoft and Yahoo!, has now been officially confirmed by both companies. Yahoo! calls all estimated 275 million users for a "group hug!" and compares the move to the fall of the Berlin wall.

orneryboy hug display pictureSomewhere in the first half of 2006 (Microsoft narrows it down to the year's second quarter), Yahoo! Messenger with Voice and MSN Messenger users will be able to "see when friends are online, share IMs and emoticons, easily add new contacts from either service to their Messenger Lists, and more".

>> Yahoo! featured partner.

>> Microsoft PressPass.

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by Purity on 10-13-2005 at 04:37 AM

Well im sooooo sorry everyone for using the word merge, just what the title was on short news.

RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by L. Coyote on 10-13-2005 at 10:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
Well im sooooo sorry everyone for using the word merge, just what the title was on short news.
You shall not be forgiven...

This sounds dumb... Even if it's only the ability to connect to Yahoo!'s servers or whatever... That means all the lameless will finally take over the MSNM side... :-/
RE: MSN and YIM to Merge by DragonX on 10-13-2005 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Then please post in that thread and don't create a new one about the very same subject...
My bad, sry.