Shoutbox

- Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: (/showthread.php?tid=51714)

by HiraKoer on 10-12-2005 at 05:48 PM

- Gud mornin - jeje

*bueno, pido disculpas por escribir en español... pero es que si escribo en inglés puede que diga cosas que no quiero decir por una mala traducción*

Mi queja viene con respecto al INICIO de seción del msn... YO soy dueño de un ciber y tengo instalda la version de el msgplus en las maquinas, y desde la versión 3.50 apareció la ventana de bienvenida del msgplus (que ayuda a las personas nuevas) pero esto, cuando el equipo es compartido y se tiene las máquinas CONGELADAS por seguridad, es mas bien una incomodidad, ya que para la mayoria ( por no decir todos) de clientes, lo sienten más como una pérdida de tiempo.

por eso quisiera saber si hay alguna forma de inhabilitar esta ventana de inicio. o pedir que a la hora de instalar pregunte el mismo msgPLUS si es que se quiere esa ventana de bienvenida o ES EQUIPO COMPARTIDO.

--sé que la mayoria de usuarios del msgplus son personas que tienen sus computadoras personales, y esto les puede resultar algo tonto... pero para mí que trato que los clientes de mi ciber puedan disfrutar de muchos beneficios que da el msgplus! (asi como deben haber algunos más) esta ventana de bienvenida e inicio resulta negativa para el plus

***para los que no saben ( supongo que son pocos) al CONGELAR  la maquina, cada vez que se reinicia la misma, hace perder toda la información que se haya generado en el transcurso de su uso.. asi, si una persona ingresa a la maquina, y el dia siguiente ingresa a la misma... entrería como NUEVO, no reconocido por el equipo... asi al ingresar al messenger volveri´a salir la ventana del msgplus - cosa que es muy incomoda

ESPERO QUE TOMEN EN CUENTA ESTO.. GRACIAS ....->Hiro

RE: COMPLAINT - beginning of msgplus! (es) by UnduTheGun on 10-12-2005 at 05:54 PM

Hiro is aking to add the possibility when you install msgplus! whether you allow or not the configuration wizard to appear or not, because it can be annoying when you use it at a cyber café. (maybe an auto config for a basic usage?)

I think it's a nice suggestion. (Y)

quote:
Gud mornin - jeje

*well, pardon me for writting in spanish... but if I write in English some things couls be misunderstood because of a bad translation*

My complaint is about the start of session of the messenger...  I'm an owner of a cyber and I have installed msgplus in the computers. Since version 3.50 the welcome window of msgplus appears (the one that helps new users). But when the computer is a shared one and if you have it BLOCKED for security, this window can be an inconvenience, since most of the clients (if not all), feel it's a waste of time. 

Therefore I wanted to know if there is some form to deactivate this window, or  ask  at the moment of  installing you want this window to appear or not (for a shared computer). 

--I know most of msgplus users are people that have it in their personal computers, and this can result them somewhat foolish... but for me that I try my clients of the cyber to enjoy many of its benefits this window of welcome and it's negative for the program

***A blocked computer erases all the information changed/stored durinfg the las session when it's restarted, giving the result of showing every reboot the welcome screen, even if this user has already logged in before, a thing that can annoy the user.

I EXPECT THAT you TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THIS.  THANKS ....->Hiro

by Tochjo on 10-12-2005 at 06:01 PM

It is unlikely that this will be included in the future. Patchou himself said

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The reason why you can't disable the wizard is that thisway, your friends have the possibility to disable the logging feature and some other stuff you may have enabled. That's a security features :).

Additionally, please only post in English. There is a Spanish forum; you can post your suggestions in Spanish there. If you would like to post them here, ask if someone there can translate the text in English or post here for you.
by Millenium_edition on 10-12-2005 at 06:04 PM

which is basically a very lame reason because you could just disable logging and other potential privacy related features.

by KeyStorm on 10-12-2005 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
dditionally, please only post in English. There is a Spanish forum; you can post your suggestions in Spanish there. If you would like to post them here, ask if someone there can translate the text in English or post here for you.

On a side note, you should know this user got an undefined ban on the Hispanic board. :P

However, wasn't there a registry setting that would disable the wizard? :-/

by Millenium_edition on 10-12-2005 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
However, wasn't there a registry setting that would disable the wizard? :-/
for a specific user - yes
not for the first-time user afaik
by HiraKoer on 10-12-2005 at 06:09 PM

Oh thanks Holland cat.

- although it does not even convince the answer to me.

*  Tochjo I AM a member BANEADO of the forum in Spanish...

I was so to spamer as you in the Spanish forum!

*jojoi;)

by Tochjo on 10-12-2005 at 06:10 PM

quote:
On a side note, you should know this user got an undefined ban on the Hispanic board.
:dodgy:
quote:
Originally posted by HiraKoer
I was so to spamer as you in the Spanish forum!
:dodgy::dodgy:

quote:
However, wasn't there a registry setting that would disable the wizard?
Not to my knowledge, no.

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
which is basically a very lame reason because you could just disable logging and other potential privacy related features.
However, without the wizard users may not know they are there (both the disabling possibility and the logging options themselves).
by KeyStorm on 10-12-2005 at 06:12 PM

quote:

How for a specific user? The wizard is supposed to appear when no such user settings exist, so it can't really be set for some specific user, cause they don't actually exist on the registry yet. :P

I could be wrong, of course. :^)
by Millenium_edition on 10-12-2005 at 06:13 PM

quote:
However, without the wizard users may not know they are there (both the disabling possibility and the logging options themselves).
you don't care about logging in an internet cafe. :S
quote:
quote:

How for a specific user? The wizard is supposed to appear when no such user settings exist, so it can't really be set for some specific user, cause they don't actually exist on the registry yet. :P

I could be wrong, of course. :^)
with plus! tweak you can set it to appear next time you sign in, even if it has already appeared
by KeyStorm on 10-12-2005 at 06:14 PM

Well, it's not a bad idea to have the chance to set a group of default settings as system admin and therefore disable the wizard... 8-)

by Tochjo on 10-12-2005 at 06:18 PM

quote:
quote:
you don't care about logging in an internet cafe. :S
I'd care even more about logging in an internet cafe, seeing as everyone has access to that computer and not a selected group of users. However, I agree that an internet cafe is not the most common place for private conversations.
by HiraKoer on 10-12-2005 at 06:22 PM

the intention to put the MSGPLUS in ciber cafe is because as I said, it gives some benefits that to the clients they like...
but that MAGICIAN, to that talk about is enough incomodo. 

the users whom they love to form the MSGPLUS will be able to do it if really is interested...

but if no?*-)

(N)

by Millenium_edition on 10-12-2005 at 06:30 PM

quote:
I'd care even more about logging in an internet cafe, seeing as everyone has access to that computer and not a selected group of users. However, I agree that an internet cafe is not the most common place for private conversations.
by "i don't care" i meant "you just disable it and don't even bother activating it."
by mandorallen on 10-12-2005 at 09:58 PM

Well, perhaps i am in a wrong, but if you use Choli´s Plus! Tweak! for Plus! 3.61, you will be able to disable the Setup Wizard.

The steps are the next:

Before start any session in Msn Messenger, you have to run Tweak!, select Default Wizard and next, select FirtsTimeWizard, on the right choose False and click on Change Button and the Setup Wizard will not appear in new Msn Messenger users in each PC.

Spanish Version:

Hiro, eres un tocapelotas tamaño galaxia, mira que venir a espamear el foro gringo [Image: dodgygato.gif]

Te bajas el Plus Tweaker de http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=25692 y lo ejecutas

Seleccionas Default user y debajo seleccionas FirstTimeWizard.
A la derecha seleccionas False y le das al boton Change

Ya no volvera a aparecer El mago como le llamas tu... :banana:

Eres un spammer de los malosos malosos...

PD: Hiro doesn't speak English, at least in a logic way, and he is banned in the Spanish Forums for ever, so... (KS loves Hiro :gfdrin: )

by CookieRevised on 10-12-2005 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mandorallen
Well, perhaps i am in a wrong, but if you use Choli´s Plus! Tweak! for Plus! 3.61, you will be able to disable the Setup Wizard.
You're wrong... :p

As said earlier in this thread the settings is PER USER, not globally!!! When a new user signs in, a user for which no settings exist yet, the wizard will ALWAYS appear.

This is, as Tochjo quoted from Patchou, for security related issues. Yes, logging is one of them and yes Patchou could disable logging by default. But this does not mean the security issue is solved at all (to reply on Millenium_edition comment)! A (malicious) person could then still enable logging again and the new user wouldn't know about it. Besides that, there are other important features which a new user should know of.

And besides all this security related issues, there is also the function of simply informing the new user of certain options.

The wizard is here to stay, and will always stay like that because of all the above. And there are far more annoying things in the world then simply pressing a "cancel" button...
by matty on 10-12-2005 at 10:50 PM

Why not create a small app that closed the config window geeze some people lol (I will make one when I get home)

by mandorallen on 10-12-2005 at 11:14 PM

Well, i have done the next, i have run Tweak! and choose the options i posted before.

I have created a new user: dodgy.user@hotmail.com (password: chungocubata), and then i have signed in Msn Messenger with this new user, but i checked the "Start automatically" option in the Sign In window, setting this new account as default account, so, the Setup Wizard has not started in this new account.

It's not the optimal solution, but it's a solution, the user only has to sign off Msn Messenger and check "Forget my account" before leaving the cibercafe.

PD: Now, the owner has only to write a long instructions lis in each PC to the Msn Messenger users (A)

by CookieRevised on 10-13-2005 at 12:18 AM

mandorallen, it doesn not work like that....

please reread my post

by L. Coyote on 10-13-2005 at 12:26 AM

*-)

I used to think it'd be cool, but most Plus! features are not for cybers, so it seems useless...

by mandorallen on 10-13-2005 at 12:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
mandorallen, it doesn not work like that....

please reread my post

Yes, I have reread your post, and i understand it, really, but, i think i posted is right, i know it's not an usual way to do it, but it works.

Perhaps i think i have understand your post, but really not, so, please, tell me what i am wrong, please, i would like to understand it.
by CookieRevised on 10-13-2005 at 12:42 AM

quote:
Perhaps i think i have understand your post, but really not, so, please, tell me what i am wrong, please, i would like to understand it.
The wizard will always show for new users. There is no option to disable this at all...

The registry option talked about in this thread is for existing users. Users which logged in at least once.

If somebody new is going to log in to MSN Messenger, with Plus! attached, the wizard will always show because there aren't settings yet for that user.

Creating a "dodgy.user@hotmail.com" doesn't do anything good as this is not the account of anybody. If somebody is going to log in to MSN Messenger, they user their own accounts for which there are no settings yet....

by HiraKoer on 10-13-2005 at 05:19 AM

I understand by companion that said that msgplus not option is done for cibercafé... not I have other that to clear this of other PC´s, although this represents to clear him to many clients that knows to use part of MSGPLUS...

... I know that you are in countries very developed where this of cibercafé is use little usual, but if really they want that it is a massive program, would be good that they also think about the facilities of people like with whom work

tonteréa can seem one that of oner TO CANCEL, and it finished.  but by where I live there is people who to know much to chatear, and any thing who happen is to them an annoyance.  imagin that if Patchou reads this and thinks as a common and current user (I appear) will understand that that welcome is of but heavy... it póngase in the shoes of an eternally new user, who in cibercafés (because aqui where alive I am not the unique one who uses the MSGPLUS in his ciber) happens constantly

(N)(N)(N)

emmm !!8o| **QUE CORNO HICIERON CON MI FIRMA !!! :@
TOCHJOOOO !!! :@   .. envidiosos 8-)

*msgplus MASSIVE MSGPLUS!  (how many companies are needed??)

¡¡¡ them I can bring 51 kilos of companies !!!

by mandorallen on 10-13-2005 at 09:59 AM

I am sorry, but i didn't explain well in my second post.

When you check Default User in Plus! Tweak!, i understan i am choosing the user who i sign in Msn Messenger with the option "Start automatically" (i have this option in Spanish, so i don´t know the exactly English Translation), so, if i select another email account and check this option in the Sign In Windows, it will be the Default User in Msn Messenger and so that, in Plus! Tweak!

Then, if i have checked in Plus! Tweak! that Default User will not start with Setup Wizard, any email account i use as Default User in Msn Messenger, will not start with the Setup Wizard, and the way to change the Default User in Msn Messenger is checking in the Sign In Window the "Start Automatically" Option in any start.

I created a new email account (real account, i post the password if you want to check it) in Hotmail, called dodgy.user@hotmail.com (password: chungocubata) and i signed in Msn Messenger with it in my laptop, but checking it in the Sign In Window as "Start Automatically", i never used it before, but the Setup Wizard NOT started (i asked my sister to start with his email account in my laptop, and the Setup Wizard appeared as usual, we didn't check the "Start Automatically" option with his email account).

So i don't understand why the Setup Wizard didn´t start with this email account, i know is not an existing user in my laptop the first time i used it, so it's a new user, but the problem is, checking it as Deafult User in Msn Messenger, the Setup Wizard didn't start, so, if you are in reason, why didn´t start the Setup Wizard the first time i used it?

PS: please, tell me if you don´t understand anything in my post, i know my English is not as good as it would be to talk with you about this, and it's a bit difficult to me to explain exactly i want to say.

PS II: and thanks in advance, i wouldn't like to be a pain in the neck for you, so, next time, i will talk with KS to get a better English Translation for my post.

PS for Hiro: i have answered your email about your question about your dodgy signature // Hiroooooo, que te he contestado al mail sobre tu firma, miratelo.

Edit: Hiro, he leido tu mail y no se entiende ni papa para un Ingles, la proxima vez no uses un traductor online, pidemelo a mi. (I am saying Hiro his previous mail is impossible to understan to an English user)

by CookieRevised on 10-13-2005 at 10:13 AM

The "default" user in Messenger Plus! is actually an existing user, it points to the last used existing account.

You even said so yourself:

quote:
any email account i use as Default User in Msn Messenger, will not start with the Setup Wizard,
If you use "an email account as default user" that email account exists. Therefore the Wizard has already been shown and will not show again...

And choosing "sign in automatically" in msn messenger is only possible if you already signed in once with a specific account (thus that account also already existed in Messenger Plus!).
by Millenium_edition on 10-13-2005 at 02:22 PM

then disable logging etc, by default, if the registry key is added?

not hard! :(

by KeyStorm on 10-13-2005 at 08:19 PM

quote:
And choosing "sign in automatically" in msn messenger is only possible if you already signed in once with a specific account (thus that account also already existed in Messenger Plus!).

It's not sign in automatically, but it is remember this account. This can be used for yet not logged in accounts. However, that would require anyone to check that box. Few would, so it's not a solution.

I think we should gather some ideas to add a simple mass-system default settings in order to check the wizard out.
As for the chat logging, the system admin should be warned that enabling it by default may brake users' privacy. Or maybe a more privacy-friendly policy would be to directly force the admin to disable  chat logging if they are setting defaults. Individually, accounts would be able to enable it, but on their own risk.

Why not? ;)
by mandorallen on 10-13-2005 at 10:12 PM

Sorry, "remember this account" option was the key option for it, i know it's not a solution (i posted it in my first post), but is a way to avoid the Setup Wizard

I am sorry for my bad English :(

* mandorallen go to a corner crying...

by Choli on 10-14-2005 at 11:05 PM

* Choli has to post here to solve your questions :P

well, Mandorallen is not 100% right but is less wrong than Cookie :P

Let me show you how and where Plus stores its settings and how Plus handles the first sign in of new accounts:

As you know, Plus stores nearly all its settings under HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2 in the registry. In that branch of the registry there are several branches with the name of messenger accounts and under those ones there is a section called Preferences where most of the settings of the account are saved.

But, what happens with new accounts? Well, when the user signs in in Messenger with an account that is not in the HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2 branch, Plus creates a new sub-branch and copies all the settings under HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\Nobody to the new brach. This is the way that Plus has to get the default initial settings for a new account. And when you select "Default User" in my tweaker you are just changing the settings in HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\Nobody\Preferences . These settings do nothing to existing users... they apply to accounts that have still not signed in.

And now what happens with the wizard? Well, when a user signs in with an account, Plus looks at HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<email@address>\Preferences\FirstTimeWizard and depending on if the key exists or not, and depending on its value Plus will show or not the configuration wizard.

Putting all this together, you'll see why Mandorallen is right: If you select "default user" and change the setting FirstTimeWizard to False, when a new account signs in, Plus will copy everything under HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\Nobody to HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<account> and then will look for the key FirstTimeWizard, which will be false and therefore Plus won't show the configuration wizard.

I hope that makes more sense now for everybody :)

On the other hand, there are the problems related to privacy, etc... I won't talk about them. I think everyone is free to do whatever s/he wants on his/her computer, so if Hirakoer wants to change that in his computers at the cibercafe, I thinks he has the right...

HiraKoer :mipdodgy:

by CookieRevised on 10-15-2005 at 12:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Putting all this together, you'll see why Mandorallen is right
only his talk about setting the key in his first post. Not about the "signing in automatically" or "remember this account" things after that...

----------

Anyways, what Choli explained is correct and I knew this too...

However, I was under the very strong impression, by the stuff said by Patchou about this wizard, that this particular key isn't copied (like there are other keys which aren't copied; at least this was the case in earlier versions IIRC)...

Also, the fact that mandorallen kept talking about this "default user" put me way off. The "default user" is a setting, like I said, which points to an existing user. This is the user from which the preferences are loaded before you sign in in MSN Messenger.

The fact that in Plus! Tweaker the "nobody" account is also called "default user" is a bit confussing, and should actually be called otherwise ("Nobody" to be more correct). As the "nobody" account isn't the same as the default user account.

Thus the "default user" I was talking about and the "default user" in the Plus! tweaker are two very different things (not to mention the "default user" in msn messenger is yet another thing)...

Nevertheless, I do apologize to mandorallen for providing inaccurate info...
by Choli on 10-15-2005 at 01:05 PM

quote:
only his talk about setting the key in his first post. Not about the "signing in automatically" or "remember this account" things after that...
quote:
Thus the "default user" I was talking about and the "default user" in the Plus! tweaker are two very different things (not to mention the "default user" in msn messenger is yet another thing)...
yes, that's the point where Mandor was wrong. I know it's a bit confusing that "default user".....
quote:
However, I was under the very strong impression, by the stuff said by Patchou about this wizard, that this particular key isn't copied (like there are other keys which aren't copied; at least this was the case in earlier versions IIRC)...
as long as i know, there isn't any key under Nobody that isn't copied to the new account. Also, when clicking the "reset to defaults" link in the preferences, Plus just deletes all the preferences of the current account and copies the settings of Nobody.
quote:
The fact that in Plus! Tweaker the "nobody" account is also called "default user" is a bit confussing, and should actually be called otherwise ("Nobody" to be more correct). As the "nobody" account isn't the same as the default user account.
i think you're right.... I put "Default user" to refer to nobody because those are the settings for a "default user"... i mean: well, the new users get the settings from there, so they are like the default settings :P

I don't like very much "Nobody" to refer to those settings, maybe i should find another word :P I'll think about that for the next version... (maybe "default settings"?)
quote:
Nevertheless, I do apologize to mandorallen for providing inaccurate info...
don't worry about that... mandor told me on messenger that it was dificult for him to explain his point of view in english... so at the end all has been a missunderstanding :P