Shoutbox

Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing (/showthread.php?tid=51739)

Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing by Tourist on 10-13-2005 at 12:32 PM

Hey guys

Just installed Tiscali Broadband, when I click the connect icon on desktop it begins to dial up. What am I doing wrong? Surely broadband doesn't dial up.

RE: Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing by Hank on 10-13-2005 at 01:13 PM

no broadband doesnt Dialup. , i dunno where your from but here in Australia it usually takes between 7 to 14 days for the broadband line to be anabled, thats ADSL, are you on Cable or what broadband r u on?

RE: Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing by Mike on 10-13-2005 at 01:23 PM

You don't need to click the connect icon on your desktop ;)
Broadband is always connected to the internet, you dont need to do anything to "connect" :)

RE: Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing by Hank on 10-13-2005 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tourist
Hey guys

Just installed Tiscali Broadband, when I click the connect icon on desktop it begins to dial up. What am I doing wrong? Surely broadband doesn't dial up.

all you have to do is Open Up your browser an your connected, but your connected as soon as you startup the PC anyway , so once ur at the desktop , stuff like MSN Messenger should automatically connect  etc
RE: Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing by Tourist on 10-13-2005 at 03:33 PM

Ok it's connecting now...

Each time I now use the phone it disconnects.. I only have one phone line in the house so only using one microfilter.

But... I have an extension phone lead from the phone socket to the microfilter.. for it to reach the computer. Should the extension lead cause any disconnection problems?

RE: Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing by M73A on 10-13-2005 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Ok it's connecting now...

Each time I now use the phone it disconnects.. I only have one phone line in the house so only using one microfilter.

But... I have an extension phone lead from the phone socket to the microfilter.. for it to reach the computer. Should the extension lead cause any disconnection problems?

plug the filter in the socket, the modem into the filter and the extension into the filter... connect the (phone?) to the extension without a filter...
RE: Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing by Tourist on 10-13-2005 at 03:45 PM

I need the filter near the computer as my modem cable is only short and won't reach all the way to the phone socket in the wall.

RE: Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing by Sunshine on 10-13-2005 at 03:58 PM

The filter (the lil box in wich you connect phone and modem) needs to be plugged into the first "phonesocket" in the house so it can route internettraffic to your comp and phonetraffic to your phone. If the phone is connected before the filter then yes your internetconnection gets lost..remember at that point it only knows phone.

If the modem cable isn't long enough, go to a computer/electronics shop and buy a longer one (they sell them from a roll). They can also put the lil plugs on for you or you can do that yourself with a special tool for it.

[Image: connecting_diagram.jpg]

RE: Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing by Tourist on 10-13-2005 at 04:01 PM

Thanks a lot Sunshine, great help.

Getting new phone line nearer the computer soon so i'll wait till then.

Cheers everyone.

RE: Tiscali Broadband Still Dialing by Sunshine on 10-13-2005 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Thanks a lot Sunshine, great help.

Getting new phone line nearer the computer soon so i'll wait till then.

Cheers everyone.
You're welcome :D

Aslong as that socket is the first for that line in the house (not connected through from a socket downstairs f.e.) it's alright.