Shoutbox

Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption (/showthread.php?tid=51818)

Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by John Anderton on 10-15-2005 at 12:32 PM

For some random people having compartively bigger captions (viz Cookie / DeathLordz), the new firefox beta 2 shows the problem shown in the uploaded pic.
I know this is a beta and some problems may show up still i thought i should let you guys know cause mabbe this is the way the new ff will work ??

I thought ... just incase

I know that most probably its a ffb2 problem in which case just say so and well .... we can move on.

Or some one could report this 8-) I would but i dont know why this is happening .... so ..... anyways ......

RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by absorbation on 10-15-2005 at 12:38 PM

I have noticed this too, it should be fixed until some takes more advantage e.g me (6)

Edit: Just pm wdz to fix it :)

RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by L. Coyote on 10-15-2005 at 12:40 PM

Yeah, saw this using DPA2... My guess is that it could be the NOWRAP in the cell...

Can't remember too well, but when I looked at the forum HTML, there was a NOWRAP there.

But I could be horribly wrong... I never did a further investigation and simply went back to FF1.0.

RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by -dt- on 10-15-2005 at 01:30 PM

hmm tis here aswell :P

* -dt- wonders if it happens in the lesser browsers.

hmm opera seems to wrap it.
IE does a weird thing and wraps it but dosnt shink the cell :-/ which is very odd ( but so is the whole browser)

Im pretty sure its the nowrap="nowrap" in that cell which is causing it.... though it does make one wonder why the other browsers dont respect it.

edit:

people who say this is a gecko bug please read.

http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net_sites/tables.html

quote:
Originally posted by that site

NOWRAP
If this attribute appears in any table cell (TH or TD) it means the lines within this cell cannot be broken to fit the width of the cell. Be cautious in use of this attribute as it can result in excessively wide cells.

RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by Discrate on 10-15-2005 at 01:34 PM

yer i have the beta and it would be better to report it

RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by L. Coyote on 10-15-2005 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
though it does make one wonder why the other browsers dont respect it.
Including FF 1.0 (doesn't respect it) :P Yeah, kind of dodgy...

WDZ should take the NOWRAP off and see if it works better without it.

* L. Coyote hopes WDZ is not feeling so lazy today.
RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by Mike on 10-15-2005 at 03:32 PM

I also have the same problem and it's annoying me... :-/

Happens only with FF 1.5..
Not with 1.0

RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by John Anderton on 10-15-2005 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Happens only with FF 1.5..
Not with 1.0
My point exactly .... it came only when i upgraded to deer park so there is your problem.

So whom should change what ?? Report this to Mozilla or tell dz to make some changes ??

Where's dz when you need him :dodgy: .....
* John Anderton needs dz to answer so he can exactly understand the problem :grin:
RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by STA1661 on 10-15-2005 at 08:01 PM

I could even report this on everyone's behalf but only if someone else hasn't done it already! I have links to the developers and will probably get something done about it!

Regards,
Deano

EDIT: Before anyone gets confused, I'm referring to the developers of Firefox. I actually know one of the developers!

RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by Supersonicdarky on 10-15-2005 at 09:37 PM

a developer of mybb is on this forum: Chris Boulton

he will/had read this

RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by ShawnZ on 10-15-2005 at 09:43 PM

test...

RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by L. Coyote on 10-15-2005 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
test...
No. Do not confuse that with the other problem. Your case is that there is no space in the caption, so it can't be wrapped.

However, this is about text with space that has the same effect as your caption, though it shouldn't do this (or it should, I dunno; but it hasn't done this before).
RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by Hank on 10-16-2005 at 12:41 AM

are you all still trying the beta 2 Nightlies?

RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by ShawnZ on 10-16-2005 at 12:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
However, this is about text with space that has the same effect as your caption, though it shouldn't do this (or it should, I dunno; but it hasn't done this before).

Isn't the problem that it goes smaller? I was testing to see if it does that on purpose to try to get it to fit in a nowrap space.
RE: Firefox Beta 2 <-> Forum Avatar Caption by WDZ on 10-16-2005 at 04:57 AM

Hmm... I never thought there was a nowrap attribute set for that cell, but there is... O_O

I guess the width attribute (which is in pixels rather than percentage) overrides the nowrap in most browsers, but not this new FireFox build...

I'll remove the nowrap right now, since I don't think there's any need for it.