Shoutbox

STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=51844)

STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by ray18 on 10-16-2005 at 08:16 AM

Every time i start my pc up and try to open iTunes, MSN, or FireFox or any other program i double click the shortcut and the little loading thing comes up then goes away and i have to restore my pc 2-6 times before anything even works this is getting really really stressful becuase usually it takes 40-50 mins to get anything working??? anybody have any ideas?? Thanks in Advance

--RaY--

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by hexel on 10-16-2005 at 08:58 AM

Blah.. Since you didn't give any information about your computer, this could be anything..
Some examples:

Have you run diagnostics to see if your hard drive is not causing the problems?  How old is your system? Over 2 or 3 years a lot of hard drives degrade. It might be a hardware problem.

See 'System Idle Process' on Task Manager. If you are not running any programs it should hover around 97-99%. If it fluctuates much more than this you should install and update then run Spybot and Ad-aware and spywareblaster (or some programs similar to these).

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by ray18 on 10-16-2005 at 09:17 AM

um I'm Actually think that it could be because of iTunes because i just had a look on the forums over at apple and lots of people are having the same problem (the double click and nothing coming up) but its happening to everything for me which is really strange.

Thanks for replying Hexel um yeah its about 2-3 years old and my system idle process is always around high ninteys i've run spybot, norton, ad-aware.

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by paperless on 10-16-2005 at 09:53 AM

I dont think its an hardware problem..

Do you have any norton product?

It may seem stupid but i never had good experience with norton products ( firewall and antivirus ) they would stop my system from loading correctly and i had to restart just like you..
In this new computer, i had almost the same problem with the antivirus but it instaed of stopping would take ages to load.

Or it could be a virus, check what are the things that startup with your computer.

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by Reaper on 10-16-2005 at 09:57 AM

this problem happened with me. its only an iTunes problem. what version are you using?

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by ray18 on 10-16-2005 at 10:11 AM

um i had 4.9 then i went to 5 then that just came up with lots of errors so then i got 6 and the quicktime standalone player.

um i did have norton but my things run out.

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by Reaper on 10-16-2005 at 10:48 AM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93976
click that link, and follow what it says underneath the error messages. post the outcome

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by ray18 on 10-16-2005 at 11:10 AM

I did the steps but I don't really want to restart my pc 'cos I just got it working and i dont want to have to go through about 5 system restores again. when i start my pc up after school tomorrow i'll post the outcome. Thanks for the help Reaper.

--RaY--

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by [MR] on 10-16-2005 at 02:10 PM

itunes 6 is out just to let u know.

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by CookieRevised on 10-16-2005 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ray18
yeah its about 2-3 years old and my system idle process is always around high.
Your "system Idle process" is NOT a process. Idling means doing nothing. It should always be around high in a healthy system, unless you are running a resource and CPU intensive program.
RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by superjugy on 10-16-2005 at 04:52 PM

When i start my computer, it takes some minutes to load completely the system, cause lots of programs aand hardware that needs programs need to load when you startup your computer, example: Norton, Itunes, Firewalls, sometimes Msn Messenger. what happens is that when it is loading and using the process and the RAM and you double click a shortcut then you are making you pc overwhelm. maybe thats what is making it crash. what i think you should do is see what programs open with the start up and disable the ones that arent really necesary and wait until the system is fully loaded to start using your computer.

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by CookieRevised on 10-16-2005 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by superjugy
what i think you should do is see what programs open with the start up and disable the ones that arent really necesary and wait until the system is fully loaded to start using your computer.
And for this, the best program to aid you the search for these startup items is AutoRuns, a program from SysInternals.
RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by ray18 on 10-17-2005 at 07:57 AM

Thanks for all the advice I have hardly anything that starts up when I log on. Thanks for the link CookieRevised I deleted some stuff that I didn't want to startup at the startup and thanks Superjugy i'll try that next time.

--RaY--

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by cardshark on 10-17-2005 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by superjugy
what i think you should do is see what programs open with the start up and disable the ones that arent really necesary and wait until the system is fully loaded to start using your computer.
And for this, the best program to aid you the search for these startup items is AutoRuns, a program from SysInternals.

Cookie, do you know any easy way to reorganize the order programs boot in during startup? This allows you to disable programs and keep them from starting at all, but not to change the point in the order that they start.
RE: RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by CookieRevised on 10-17-2005 at 04:48 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by cardshark
Cookie, do you know any easy way to reorganize the order programs boot in during startup? This allows you to disable programs and keep them from starting at all, but not to change the point in the order that they start.
Because you can't order them...

Windows is multitasking, this means there is no way to know what is started up first, and certainly no way to know what is ended starting up first. It can be program A one day and program B the other day...

This is impossible without making your own startup program...

Thus the only thing you can do is make your own startup program. This program should be the _only_ thing which starts up and thus listed in all those startup entries. The program itself, starts up your other stuff in a controlled way: It starts up program A, waits till it has finished starting up, then starts up program B, etc...

To do this in the proper way isn't so easy or strait forward. Maybe some program exists which does this, I don't know, search google... But even then you need to test this out first before blindfully trust on this application as there are many things which can go wrong or even don't work... (eg: I wouldn't trust an app made by some random guy right away; the guy needs to have good knowledge about all this in order to make this program perform decently and not just start A, start B, start C with some shell function as that wouldn't work in some circumstances).

A side effect which is certain to happen is that you boot up time will be _significantly_ longer if you use such workaround though...

[/OFF TOPIC]

RE: STUPID COMPUTER!!!!!! by Mike on 10-17-2005 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Maybe some program exists which does this, I don't know
Yes, there is a program doing this called StartUp Faster