Shoutbox

SQL Questions - Urgent - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: SQL Questions - Urgent (/showthread.php?tid=51916)

SQL Questions - Urgent by matty on 10-17-2005 at 10:51 PM

A buddy at work is trying to create a page that will accept more then 255 characters to input into a database.

RE: SQL Questions - Urgent by ShawnZ on 10-17-2005 at 11:08 PM

Maybe put it in a blob?

RE: SQL Questions - Urgent by surfichris on 10-17-2005 at 11:57 PM

Err.. That is a statement, not a question. I'm confused at exactly what you want us to tell you?

To accept more than 255 characters (i'd assume you're using MySQL and a varchar column) you need to change the column type to TEXT (Shawnz, BLOB is designed for binary data).

If you're using MS Access (very much doubt it) then the field type would be changed from Text to Memo.

Of course, this is pretty much different in every DBMS so you need to be more specfic.

RE: SQL Questions - Urgent by matty on 10-18-2005 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Err.. That is a statement, not a question. I'm confused at exactly what you want us to tell you?

To accept more than 255 characters (i'd assume you're using MySQL and a varchar column) you need to change the column type to TEXT (Shawnz, BLOB is designed for binary data).

If you're using MS Access (very much doubt it) then the field type would be changed from Text to Memo.

Of course, this is pretty much different in every DBMS so you need to be more specfic.
Thanks surfi, I will find exactly what my friend is trying to do and update this post. As far as I know he changed the feiled from Text to Memo but its still only accepting 255 chars when its saved.

But I will double check this.
RE: SQL Questions - Urgent by RaceProUK on 10-19-2005 at 02:05 PM

So it's safe to assume he's using MS Access?
* RaceProUK wonders why...
Anyway, is there anything like a 'Length' property for a Memo column? That may still be set to 255.