Shoutbox

[REQUEST] GTalk addon - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: [REQUEST] GTalk addon (/showthread.php?tid=51920)

[REQUEST] GTalk addon by djbob on 10-18-2005 at 01:06 AM

Hello! I would like to request an addon for Messenger Plus.

What?
A GTalk addon! As in, an addon that allows you to connect to GTalk and chat with GTalk contacts within MSN Messenger.
Why?
Simply because there's no reason to have to use two programs when you can use one. A lot of my contacts (and I know a lot of yours too) have migrated to GTalk. Also, I am willing to give whoever makes this free hosting for a year, with a free domain. I would do this project myself, but I don't know much C/C++ (or whatever MSG+ is made in).
How?
I don't know much after Jabber protocol, but I know this will definetely help: http://www.jabber.org/software/libraries.shtml. There are numerous C++ code libraries for Jabber, so learning Jabber is no difficulty at all. Rather, the hard part is getting the addon working in Messenger with MSG+ ;)
Pay?
I can pay you, but not much... maybe $20 at most. It's more like donation money, as I'd like this to be open to the public.

I can help with the project as much as I can. Alternatively, if anyone can make an addon to MSG+ that makes it compatible with PHP so I could code the thing myself, that works too :)

RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by mwe99 on 10-18-2005 at 02:42 AM

Unfortunately, MSN and G-talk contacts are not cross compatable as far as I am aware. You would have to forward your suggestion straight to Google, as they would need to work with Microsoft to make a "multi-Messenger"

RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by guanako on 10-18-2005 at 02:50 AM

.....But Meebo deservers the extra attention. To begin with, it allows you to sign into four popular IM services simultaneously, including -of course- MSN Messenger and newcomer Google Talk. "Semi-interoperability", you could ........

http://www4.meebo.com/

RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by djbob on 10-19-2005 at 12:32 AM

I know of meebo, in fact that is my current method of multi-chat. You see, I have installed Stuff-Plug NG, and added the web browser tab through it. Then, on the web browser tab, I log into GTalk through Meebo, and I am able to have both things open in one MSN Messenger thingy. However, this is ineffictive in that I don't get a notification when someone initiates a conv with me, and the chat windows can only be viewed when looking at the tab.

quote:
Unfortunately, MSN and G-talk contacts are not cross compatable as far as I am aware. You would have to forward your suggestion straight to Google, as they would need to work with Microsoft to make a "multi-Messenger"
In that case, a viable method would be to make a new tab for the GTalk contacts.
RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by mwe99 on 10-19-2005 at 01:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djbob
In that case, a viable method would be to make a new tab for the GTalk contacts.

I don't think anything can be done by 'us' if they are not compatable. It would have to be a Microsoft or a Google development.
RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by Hank on 10-19-2005 at 02:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
It would have to be a Microsoft or a Google development

which i highly doubt either parties doing since GTalk uses the Jabber Open Source Protocol an we all know M$$ hates Open Source so no way that woulld happen

http://www.jabber.org/about/overview.shtml
RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by djbob on 10-19-2005 at 03:27 AM

Sorry, but I really don't see why this isn't possible as a plugin. As you said, Jabber is open source, and in my first post I gave a link to a few function libraries (http://www.jabber.org/software/libraries.shtml), in languages ranging from C++ to PHP. The compatibility to GTalk could be easily written.

I assume adding a tab is within the abilities of MSG+ modding, but please correct me if I am wrong. If I am correct, however, wouldn't it be simple to code the Jabber protocol into the tab? Of course, the UI and layout will require some coding, but otherwise I see no problem.

On the other hand, I am definetely not an expert in MSG+ modding, so I may definetely be incorrect.

RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by (CyBeRDuDe) on 10-19-2005 at 08:31 PM

You might take a look at www.imtiger.com
It might sometime in the future have this feature.. :)...
Though Progress of this program have been very limited I think, it has really good potential...
Until now it only supports MSN, AIM and ICQ... But they promised that they will support lots of other protocols/services.. :)...
Check it out... Pray that they soon will release a new improved version...

RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by mwe99 on 10-20-2005 at 12:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djbob
Sorry, but I really don't see why this isn't possible as a plugin.

You can't just put two things together and expect them to work :(
RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by J-Thread on 10-20-2005 at 07:17 AM

It IS possible... But it is difficult... I'd rather see a msn addon for GTalk, so I've got al my MSN people in my GTalk list:D

RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by djbob on 10-26-2005 at 10:01 PM

Ermm, sorry, but its my opinion the GTalk sucks. That thing has absolutely no features. And to squish all the MSN features into GTalk would require a lot of work. I think putting GTalk into MSN would be a much better idea ;)

quote:
You can't just put two things together and expect them to work 
Of course you can! I can site millions of examples with two things working together succesfully.

Anyways, I don't understand why, if you can program this on a website, you can't program it into Messenger. Of course, it makes sense of the problem is that MSG+ is limited, and cannot do this function, but otherwise, I see no problem (except, perhaps, being really hard :lol:).
RE: [REQUEST] GTalk addon by Discrate on 10-27-2005 at 06:15 AM

yer and i think that msgplus should only be for msn not gtalk. other Gtalk fanaicts can start up a add-on thing called Gtalkplus and mayby they could make add-ons for you :)