Shoutbox

Why is MSN misleading with stuff? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? (/showthread.php?tid=51951)

Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by DanZie Boy on 10-19-2005 at 08:20 AM

Why does MSN mislead with stuff? They say that the music feature is only compatible with Windows 2000 or later. Not true. My girlfriend uses Windows 98 and music shows up in her personal message when she plays it. MSN also say that the music feature is only compatible with Windows Media Player 9 or later. Not true, cos my girlfriend uses iTunes, I use foobar2000, and another contact on my list uses Winamp and the music still shows up. So why does MSN mislead?

RE: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by zach on 10-19-2005 at 09:30 AM

Maybe they hadn't tested it out on Windows 98 and the other players. The information probably hasn't been updated either, so it's not really misleading. Where does it say this anyway?

quote:
Originally posted by Microsoft MSN Messenger 7 Fact Sheet
Personal message, including music.  MSN Messenger customers now can display a personal message alongside their Messenger "friendly name" and status message. The customer can choose to display either a personal message or the song he or she currently is enjoying. The new Music Personal Message enables customers to share information about the song they are listening to through Windows Media®  Player or an iTunes player.
There it says iTunes... To get it to say what music you are listening to in other players, you probably have to download a plugin. If Microsoft said that you could use the feature in Winamp, that would be misleading because to get it working, you have to download a plugin.
RE: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by DanZie Boy on 10-19-2005 at 09:32 AM

On the Messenger Help thing.

Grrrr.... I totally despise those misleading b----rds!

RE: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by linx05 on 10-20-2005 at 09:22 AM

lol you are making a mountain out of a mole hill

RE: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by Hank on 10-20-2005 at 09:33 AM

email Bill gates why he Misleads ,,goodluck at him reading it though.. he gets that many emails i dont think urs would be read  that quickly

RE: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by RebelSean on 10-20-2005 at 10:59 PM

Animal, Bill Gates does not run the MSN division of Microsoft.

Can you get me a specific link to the article where you read this at so I can get it corrected?

RE: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by DanZie Boy on 10-21-2005 at 05:24 AM

Sean, this is the link to the article where I saw the misleading.

RE: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by CookieRevised on 10-21-2005 at 05:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Can you get me a specific link to the article where you read this at so I can get it corrected?
corrected? Who says it needs correction?

If MS doesn't state that a program is compatible with a certain OS, it has very good reasons for that. This isn't misleading or whatever at all...

As zach rightfully said, if it isn't tested it isn't supported. There could be many reasons why it wasn't tested. It even can be that it was tested but that not everything works 100%. It is also possible that it only works 100% if the OS meets certain criteria (eg: Unicode Layer is installed), etc... etc... etc... etc...

I very highly doubt anything must be corrected.

As I said, this isn't misleading info at all. Misleading info would be that they state it works on Windows 95, when it is not.
RE: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by Hank on 10-21-2005 at 05:56 AM

quote:

MSN is another devision of Microsoft yeah? Plus, i never said " Bill gates Runs MSN"
RE: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by RebelSean on 10-21-2005 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
quote:

MSN is another devision of Microsoft yeah? Plus, i never said " Bill gates Runs MSN"

Well you insinuated that he did. Yes MSN is a devision of Microsoft, but that doesn't mean Billy runs it.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

If MS doesn't state that a program is compatible with a certain OS, it has very good reasons for that. This isn't misleading or whatever at all...

As I said, this isn't misleading info at all. Misleading info would be that they state it works on Windows 95, when it is not.

It is misleading, because the article states that the feature only works with Windows 2000 and above. Which is wrong. It DOES with Windows 98SE. In turn meaning it is misleading, as to say that it is for only 2000 and above when it's certainly not.

It's like saying that MSN Messenger 7.0 is Windows XP only, when it works on 98SE/ME/2000.
RE: Why is MSN misleading with stuff? by CookieRevised on 10-22-2005 at 02:24 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

It is misleading, because the article states that the feature only works with Windows 2000 and above. Which is wrong. It DOES with Windows 98SE. In turn meaning it is misleading, as to say that it is for only 2000 and above when it's certainly not.

It's like saying that MSN Messenger 7.0 is Windows XP only, when it works on 98SE/ME/2000.
As I said, and as I'm going to repeat, this isn't misleading info...

If MS doesn't state that a program is compatible with a certain OS, it has very good reasons for that. Misleading info would be that they state it works on Windows 95, when it is not.

MS states only the OS's which a program is tested on and passed the tests. It might work for you, but it might not work for another as you might need special additional libraries to be installed, etc (like Unicode Layer).

All the rest are unsupported and thus not mentionned.

Again, there is nothing "misleading" or "wrong" about it. MS only states OS's on which a program fully works without additional mombo-jumbo to be installed or hacks and tricks etc...