Shoutbox

Windows Visual Style File - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Visual Style File (/showthread.php?tid=51990)

Windows Visual Style File by Th3rmal on 10-20-2005 at 08:25 AM

firstly sory if this is in the wrong place, i was kinda tossing up between this and GCC.

Anyway, i just downloaded a Windows Visual Style File and when i double click on it all it does is open up my settings for my desktop appearance but doesnt actually install the file or anything. Do i need to download  a special program for it or is the file corrupted?

Thx for ur help:)

RE: Windows Visual Style File by Dan0208 on 10-20-2005 at 11:14 AM

Hi,
Firstly if this is like a custom visual style (ie not microsoft) and downloaded from theme sites such as deviantart and stylexp then you're right you cannot just add it into your desktop appearance settings.
Uxtheme.dll is the file in Windows XP that controls the theming engine. By default, uxtheme.dll is locked, so third party (i.e. non-Microsoft) visual styles cannot be used. Fortunately, it is easy to unlock uxtheme.dll to allow the use of non-Microsoft visual styles.

To get around this i suggest you download the unlocked uxtheme.dll. Here is a version for sp2 2180 English:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707

Make sure you reboot your pc after patching them once restarted do the same as you did before and it should work.

There are other programs for doing this such as stylexp, and windowsblinds but for me this works fine and seemed to use up less resources on my pc than those programs did.

I hope this helps and if you need any more assistance post a reply

Daniel

RE: Windows Visual Style File by Th3rmal on 10-20-2005 at 12:11 PM

thanks ;) i will try this out when i have time. right now i wanna go to sleep, right now its 10:11:D

RE: Windows Visual Style File by Dan0208 on 10-20-2005 at 12:13 PM

No worries glad i could help

10:11pm wow are you from Australia too? if so where abouts? im in sydney

RE: Windows Visual Style File by Th3rmal on 10-20-2005 at 12:14 PM

melbourne;)goodnight:)

hey i was wondering say u patched the file and changed ur theme is ther a way to change it bak to the original or not?

RE: Windows Visual Style File by Dan0208 on 10-21-2005 at 07:27 AM

You should just be able to go to Display Properties then to themes and it will say Windows XP (Modified) click on that drop down menu and choose 'Windows XP' or 'Windows Classic' theme

RE: Windows Visual Style File by Th3rmal on 10-21-2005 at 07:31 AM

thx agen :rolleyes:

i went on the site u told me and some ppl have complained that it has stuffed up their pc and the text and everything so now i hav to toss up between whether i wanna take the risk or not*-)

i have created a system restore so if anything goes wrong i will b able to go bak ;)

RE: Windows Visual Style File by Dan0208 on 10-22-2005 at 12:26 PM

When you get it all working and decide on a visual style you like post a screenshot so we can see what it looks like

RE: Windows Visual Style File by ShawnZ on 10-22-2005 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
melbourne;)goodnight:)

hey i was wondering say u patched the file and changed ur theme is ther a way to change it bak to the original or not?

That file he gave you isnt the theme but simply the crack that allows you to install Non-Microsoft signed themes
RE: Windows Visual Style File by Th3rmal on 10-22-2005 at 11:16 PM

kk thx;)

i hav patched my file and it can be found in this thread

thx especially to Dan0208;)
my media player has been playnig up since i did this. i use the t3 skin for  wmp 10 and also hav the wmp toolbar on but wen i am in my skin mode it just wont stay down. i click minimize and it minimized to the toolbar mode for aout half a second and maximizes right after it. does any1 noe how to help me?