Shoutbox

@gmail is no more! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: @gmail is no more! (/showthread.php?tid=51991)

@gmail is no more! by mwe99 on 10-20-2005 at 09:01 AM

Well in the UK....

The story behind the new "Google Mail" name

You may have noticed the Google Mail logo. We are changing our service's name in the UK. Starting October 19, 2005, all new users will have @googlemail.com addresses. Don't worry, though – all messages are being sent and delivered as before.

Why the name change then?

We have been involved in a dispute regarding the Gmail trademark in the UK. Another company has claimed rights to the Gmail name. We have tried to resolve this dispute through negotiations, but our efforts have failed.

We are still working with the courts and trademark office to protect our ability to use the Gmail name, but in the meantime, we want you to have an email address you can rely on.

We are dedicated to offering the best email service to our users. Our email service stays the same no matter what the logo is or what follows the @ symbol. This change lets our team focus their time on continuing to bring you excellent service.

What this means for our users
Do I need to do anything?

No. Although the name is changing, your email service remains the same. To sign in, you can go to the same page as before, or you can now also visit: http://mail.google.com/mail.

When will you start offering @googlemail.com addresses? When will this change take place?
Starting October 19, 2005, the Gmail service will be renamed Google Mail in the UK. We will no longer issue new @gmail.com addresses. All new addresses will be @googlemail.com addresses.

What if I invite someone? Will they also have to create an @googlemail.com address?
That depends on where your invitation recipients are located. If they are in a country where we issue Gmail addresses, then they will get an @gmail.com address. But from the UK, you will only be able to send Google Mail invitations. If your recipient is also in the UK, he or she will only be able to get an @googlemail.com address.

What if I'm a UK user who already has a Gmail address? Will I also need to change that address?No, this change doesn’t affect existing Gmail addresses. For now, our plan is only to issue @googlemail.com addresses to new users. Trust that we will do the best we can to offer all our users a reliable and consistent email experience.

Updated: 19-October 2005

Source : http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en-GB/googlemail.html

RE: @gmail is no more! by Hank on 10-20-2005 at 09:48 AM

i rekon they should all change in australia an america to googlemail, its gonna make it to confusing i htink to have googlemail.com an gmail.com

RE: @gmail is no more! by -dt- on 10-20-2005 at 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
i rekon they should all change in australia an america to googlemail, its gonna make it to confusing i htink to have googlemail.com an gmail.com
Why msn has @msn.com and @hotmail.com for the same thing.
Anyway I quite like the shorter version @gmail.com rather than @googlemail.com its just way to long to type.
RE: @gmail is no more! by Chestah on 10-20-2005 at 10:26 AM

Remember this only affects the UK no other country in the world. so when you say "@gmail is no more" then thats completely incorrect.

For new UK users its @googlemail.com although i believe messages sent to username@gmail.com will be redirected through to your username@googlemail.com automatically. So its really no biggie at the moment.

RE: @gmail is no more! by mwe99 on 10-20-2005 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Remember this only affects the UK no other country in the world. so when you say "@gmail is no more" then thats completely incorrect.

Yes it affects the UK only and at the top it does say "well for the uk" :P

RE: @gmail is no more! by Hank on 10-20-2005 at 10:53 AM

quote:
Anyway I quite like the shorter version @gmail.com rather than @googlemail.com its just way to long to type

true,,  dont have to type it if you Copy an paste it into a mailbox 
RE: @gmail is no more! by -dt- on 10-20-2005 at 11:13 AM

quote:
quote:
Anyway I quite like the shorter version @gmail.com rather than @googlemail.com its just way to long to type

true,,  dont have to type it if you Copy an paste it into a mailbox
:-/ chestah never said that...

and how about giving it to your friends? like in reallife :P they have to type it.
RE: @gmail is no more! by andrey on 10-20-2005 at 02:04 PM

It's the same thing here in Germany, some guy has the rights on the slogan "G-Mail...da geht die Post richtig ab" and he won against Google.
I like @gmail.com more than @googlemail.com, but I would have thought that they checked in beforehand if they could use the name...
well, doesn't matter for me, I got my @gmail.com-address, and if you want a gmail.com, just use a proxy.
Maybe Google thought they'd shut up if they paid them.

(Btw, I've been off some time so i ain't up-to-date. should i remove my sig ? :tongue:)

RE: @gmail is no more! by Ezra on 10-20-2005 at 02:12 PM

btw, I heard that if your adress is someone@googlemail.com, mails send to someone@gmail.com also get delivered.

RE: @gmail is no more! by spokes on 10-20-2005 at 03:02 PM

quote:

and all the hotmail country specific names arent?

RE: @gmail is no more! by user27089 on 10-20-2005 at 03:08 PM

I really don't like this, it screws around with a load of the layout in my particular resolution sometimes... :-/...

I preferred it as GMail, it looked better and is easier to write! I hope that it gets changed back sometime :-/.

RE: @gmail is no more! by Negro_Joe on 10-20-2005 at 04:30 PM

i dont really care, its only a couple of letters :P BTW what company had trademarked the Gmail logo or whatever...?

RE: @gmail is no more! by Anubis on 10-20-2005 at 04:30 PM

I liked the Gmail name, oh well, as long as it doesn't really affect me. The domain www.gmail.com still takes me to Google Mail.

Even though they say they'll try and keep existing gmail addresses, I have a feeling they may change the existing ones at some point. I really hope they don't, I hate saying "at google mail" it's far easier to remember "at gmail" when you tell people your address.

RE: @gmail is no more! by tomfletcherman on 10-20-2005 at 04:39 PM

I don't see how they managed to not just make it so that everyone in  the uk is recognised as american so it doesn't matter. I want a way to spoof it jsut so that nothing changes. 'Google mail' is annoying so I hope they don't change existing email addresses.

RE: @gmail is no more! by Anubis on 10-20-2005 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
I don't see how they managed to not just make it so that everyone in  the uk is recognised as american so it doesn't matter.
It's a legal issue, not a technical one, they'd get in legal problems for doing that. Also it'd be annoying to have USA specific options.
If you want to be seen as American use a proxy in the USA.
RE: @gmail is no more! by Exca on 10-20-2005 at 05:34 PM

imo; to bad:) i preferred it the way it was, altough i don't have a google mail account..

RE: @gmail is no more! by Fourjays on 10-20-2005 at 05:52 PM

Something everyone is getting confused on all over the place, and I have pointed out on other forums, is that ALL EXISTING UK USERS will keep the address @GMAIL.COM.

Only new users from now on, within the UK, will be made to use @googlemail.com.

Google would have done checks on trademarks before-hand, like any big company. This one would have missed though. The company claiming rights to it, registered gmail as their trademark AFTER Gmail was announced.

Not sure how it works legally, but I can't see that either side can be given the tardemark. Both would have a good case against the other in this situation.

RE: @gmail is no more! by Vazza on 10-20-2005 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fourjays
Something everyone is getting confused on all over the place, and I have pointed out on other forums, is that ALL EXISTING UK USERS will keep the address @GMAIL.COM.

Yes for the moment. If you read what GoogleMail/Gmail/whatever they're calling it said, they said that the plan was for all new addresses to be @googlemail.com.  That doesn't mean that @gmail.com are off the hook just yet.
I think that existing UK users will just have to watch for news for what happening.

RE: @gmail is no more! by saralk on 10-20-2005 at 08:56 PM

what i think happened is that someone registered gmail in the UK as soon as they caught wind of what they are doing in America.

The guy who did that will probably just get a small fortune in compensation and hand over the trademark

RE: @gmail is no more! by RebelSean on 10-20-2005 at 10:15 PM

That is just about stupid. Thank the lord though I live in the US because I really CBA to go about editing my email address everywere :tongue:.

RE: @gmail is no more! by brian on 10-20-2005 at 11:12 PM

Yeah, no changes here, but why such companies are so annoyed, just stick with it and that's it.  God.

RE: @gmail is no more! by mwe99 on 10-21-2005 at 04:40 PM

http://www.gmail.co.uk seems to have caused the problem :(

RE: @gmail is no more! by Fourjays on 10-21-2005 at 05:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
http://www.gmail.co.uk seems to have caused the problem :(

Nice find.

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
That is just about stupid. Thank the lord though I live in the US because I really CBA to go about editing my email address everywere :tongue:.

As stated above, by others, myself and the google information, until further notice no existing users will have a different address at all. Existing users of gmail have to do nothing, as @googlemail.com will only apply to new users...

RE: @gmail is no more! by haydos on 10-21-2005 at 05:12 PM

I guess it may be a little more work to type but everybody is sure to get used to it. Wouldnt it be easier to have changed it to username@google.com without the 'mail' bit however?

RE: @gmail is no more! by WDZ on 10-21-2005 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by haydn
Wouldnt it be easier to have changed it to username@google.com without the 'mail' bit however?
That's probably for google employees only... :p

They wouldn't want random people pretending to work for Google... :dodgy:
RE: @gmail is no more! by haydos on 10-21-2005 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by haydn
Wouldnt it be easier to have changed it to username@google.com without the 'mail' bit however?
That's probably for google employees only... :p

They wouldn't want random people pretending to work for Google... :dodgy:
but cutiebabesexyangel673846@google.com does work for google :P

Seriously I didnt know it was for staff of google, I have never used Gmail myself
RE: @gmail is no more! by Anubis on 10-22-2005 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

what i think happened is that someone registered gmail in the UK as soon as they caught wind of what they are doing in America.
Not true, the company in question is Independent II Research, who used the name "G-mail" for a web based mail project of their own dating back to 2002. A long time before G-mail was even a gleam in one of it's programmer's eye.

However the tactic of intentional cyber-squatting, like you mentioned, is a good way to make money, it is now illegal in many countries.

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
The guy who did that will probably just get a small fortune in compensation and hand over the trademark
The way they are fighting the case he doesn't seem to want any money or compensation, just to keep the trademark. However the company may accept money in the long term, if Google wants to keep @Gmail as a worldwide name. However that's only if
1) Independent II Research is willing to give up their Gmail trademark
2) Google is willing to pay.

If you are into this kind of stuff, you may want to get your hands on a @googlemail.com address, since that may disappear depending on the outcome of Google's rights over the legal status of the use of Gmail as a trademark in the UK.

Tbh, this comes down to the fact that Google should have looked for other companies which hold the right to the name of Gmail or could have a claim for it before they launched the service. Even a quick Google for the term "Gmail" would have done :p
RE: @gmail is no more! by Fourjays on 10-22-2005 at 07:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

Tbh, this comes down to the fact that Google should have looked for other companies which hold the right to the name of Gmail or could have a claim for it before they launched the service. Even a quick Google for the term "Gmail" would have done :p

quote:
Originally posted by BBC
After Google announced its Gmail plans in spring 2004, IIIR rushed to register the Gmail trademark with Ohim, the European Union's trademark office, and the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4354954.stm

AFTER Gmail was announced. Therefore when Google checked for "Gmail" before announcing the product, they would have got a result of no registered tardemarks...
RE: @gmail is no more! by Anubis on 10-23-2005 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fourjays

AFTER Gmail was announced. Therefore when Google checked for "Gmail" before announcing the product, they would have got a result of no registered tardemarks...
I posted "could have a claim for it", and because they were using the IIIR were using the Gmail name far before Google was, they could have had a claim.
Even if they didn't look for the trademark, the IIIR were using the name on their website, you can even find it with a google search.

Depsite the way it looks, I don't think they had sqating movies, seems more likely they wanted to hold onto the right to use the "Gmail" name.
RE: @gmail is no more! by Pipish on 10-23-2005 at 08:59 AM

googlemail sounds stupid and too long.

this is only in uk right?

but i spose if they have to change it theres nothing we can do about it.