Shoutbox

Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... (/showthread.php?tid=52125)

Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by antd on 10-23-2005 at 05:30 PM

But why is my firewall telling me that MSN Messenger Plus! is trying to monitor my keystrokes and mouse movements?
Also, why is it phoning home to C2 Media company when I sign in? Is it trying to send my username and password to them that you just logged? I wouldn't put it past you.
I need an explanation.

RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by Val on 10-23-2005 at 05:45 PM

did you install the sponser agreement its optional look at this:
[Image: mp360_sponsor2.gif]
so if you did install the sponser agreement then read this to remove it:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598
have any other questions?

RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by antd on 10-23-2005 at 06:13 PM

I did not install the sponsor program.
My question remains answered: Why does the software phone home to C2Media LTD when I sign in.
AND
Why does the software attempt to log my keyboard and mouse strokes?

RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by DragonX on 10-23-2005 at 06:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by antd
I did not install the sponsor program.
My question remains answered: Why does the software phone home to C2Media LTD when I sign in.
AND
Well then maybe u got it from someplace else - did u try running adware and spyware scans to remove it ?
RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by ShawnZ on 10-23-2005 at 06:30 PM

quote:
AND

It ''phones home" to record stats of how many people use plus! etc

And it "attempts to log your keyboard and mouse" because ZoneAlarm
is very crappy and gives false positives about that all the time (read: it
did that with explorer.exe once for me.)

Edit: And will you people stop posting if you have no idea? you're just confusing us and the person we are trying to help.
RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by DragonX on 10-23-2005 at 06:36 PM

You can try this too to remove it:

http://www.lop.com/help/#uninstall

RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by Anubis on 10-23-2005 at 06:39 PM

Please could you provide a screenshot of the exact messages your firewall provides? As well as the name of the firewall!

In case you do not know how;
Press Print Screen (on your keyboard) when the message is displayed and then paste in a image editing application such as (Microsoft paint), and attach the resulting image to your next post.

Please note this is not normal behaviour of Messenger Plus or any process to do with it.

It is possible that, if you downloaded Messenger Plus from an unreliable website, that you have in fact downloaded a program that is disguised as Messenger Plus but is in fact spyware or a Trojan of some sort.
If this is the case, it is not the fault of Messenger Plus, but a third party source who has motives unrelated to Patchou (creator of messenger plus) and no connections to Messenger Plus at all.

From which site did you download Messenger Plus? (if it's an official Messenger Plus or a mirror download it should be ok).
Please tell us which site you downloaded Messenger Plus from.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
And it "attempts to log your keyboard and mouse" because ZoneAlarm
is very crappy and gives false positives about that all the time (read: it
did that with explorer.exe once for me.)
The user has not mentioned using ZoneAlarm, until he\she does, it's not wise to assume what software he\she has.

quote:
Originally posted by DragonX
You can try this too to remove it:

http://www.lop.com/help/#uninstall

The user has not mentioned installing any LOP software. Also we have no evidence that LOP software is too blaim, it could just be a firewall error, with no LOP software triggering the abnormal activity.
RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by ShawnZ on 10-23-2005 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
The user has not mentioned using ZoneAlarm, until he\she does, it's not wise to assume what software he\she has.

but "is attempting to log your keyboard and mouse movements" is a Zone Alarm spesific message as far as I know. So unless some other av/firewall completly ripped them off, i'd have to guess its Zone Alarm. And if it is, i guarentee you its a false positive.
RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by DragonX on 10-23-2005 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
The user has not mentioned installing any LOP software. Also we have no evidence that LOP software is too blaim, it could just be a firewall error, with no LOP software triggering the abnormal activity.
quote:
Originally posted by UnixFool
C2 Media Limited hosts Lop.com but they are the same entity.

Source:UnixFool

Hence my post/suggestion. (and since i had that prob a while ago - and how i fixed it!)
RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by Anubis on 10-23-2005 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DragonX
quote:
Originally posted by UnixFool
C2 Media Limited hosts Lop.com but they are the same entity.

Source:UnixFool

Hence my post/suggestion. (and since i had that prob a while ago - and how i fixed it!)

Yes, I know that LOP and C2 Media are the same thing.

However we have no evidence that any C2Media (LOP) related software is on the computer! As I said, it could just be a firewall problem, according to the user he\she hasn't installed the sponsor program!

quote:
but "is attempting to log your keyboard and mouse movements" is a Zone Alarm spesific message
No one holds the pattent to only be able to use that phrase. We can't be sure that he\she is using ZoneAlarm at this point in time.
RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by ShawnZ on 10-23-2005 at 07:11 PM

Okay, don't trust me and keep bickering in this thread. I've answered their question and I'm leaving now.

Actually, before I go, http://www.google.ca/search?hs=pG5&hl=en&client=fi...

RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by Anubis on 10-23-2005 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Okay, don't trust me and keep bickering in this thread. I've answered their question and I'm leaving now.
I'm not bickering or flaming ect...Just offering some advice to you for when you're helping, I don't care if you follow it or not, it's your choice.
I'm just saying if you can't be 100% sure if they are using the software what you think they are, it's best not to offer advice for it.

It's very likely they are using Zone Alarm, but my point is we don't know!

Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad you're helping, but from previous experience I've seen assumptions lead to a lot of confusion when helping people.
RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by matty on 10-23-2005 at 07:26 PM

Zone Alarm Pro misdetects the fact that Plus! is attempting to log the keyboard and mouse strokes. Plus! hooking method has changed and no longer logs keystrokes or mouse events.

The information that is being sent to the Plus Server for statistical use is all anonymous. No personal information is sent during this time. You can disallow Plus! from doing that if you open the Preferences and under General there should be Allow Plus! to send anonymous statisticts (might be under Miscellaneous instead).

RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by ShawnZ on 10-23-2005 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Zone Alarm Pro misdetects the fact that Plus! is attempting to log the keyboard and mouse strokes. Plus! hooking method has changed and no longer logs keystrokes or mouse events.

but matty we arent sure if its zone alarm or not !!!1
RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by antd on 10-24-2005 at 12:41 AM

I haven't installed the adware program.
I am using Zone Alarm Pro.
I installed MsgPlus from the official site.

RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by CookieRevised on 10-24-2005 at 01:04 AM

antd, to add on what Matty has already said:

Plus! doesn't monitor keystrokes and mouse movements at all. It never did btw. This warning you got (from whatever security program you use) is false. Such warnings can be given if the detection level of those security programs is set too high. The higher they're set, the more false alarms you'll get. It doesn't nessecairly means they are true.

Plus! _never_ contained any code to monitor keyboard strokes, nor mouse movements.

However, the only thing that Plus! "monitors" is what options you've used the most in Plus! (and for that, it even doesn't "monitor" all options available). This is done so Patchou knows which features are used the most and thus which features are popular and candidates to be improved.

This monitoring is nothing more than a simple numerical counter or flag for some used features. eg: If I use custom emoticons, the "monitor"-feature records this as "ce=1". Which simply means "custom emoticon used? = true". It does _not_ record _any_ personal information at all, it only logs if you used a feature or not (as in "yes" or "no").

Now, this information is send to the Plus! server, anonymously. Even your IP address isn't stored.

As Matty said, you can disable this "monitoring" in your Plus! preferences: Plus! > Preferences > General Options > Local Settings > Allow Plus to send anonymous, numerical statistics periodically.

And that is what triggers the "Plus! phones home" message.

Also, this is _not_ the C2Media company at all! C2Media has got nothing to do with this, except that the Plus! servers are sponsored/hosted by C2Media and thus their IP address fall in the range of what some people might call the "C2Media Company". The truth is that C2Media has got absolutely nothing on those servers for their own good. These servers are totally and absolutely dedicated for Messenger Plus! only and contain nothing, absolutely nothing of C2Media.

The statistics gathered by this Plus! feature are anonymous and only accessable by Patchou and are only meant to improve the most used features.

Thus:

quote:
But why is my firewall telling me that MSN Messenger Plus! is trying to monitor my keystrokes and mouse movements?
Because it has either a too strong detection or a buggy detection system. Plus! does not, and never did, monitor things like that at all...
quote:
Also, why is it phoning home (...)
To send the anonymous, numerical statistics on what function are used the most (which can be disabled).
quote:
(...) to C2 Media company when I sign in?
Its "home" is not the C2Media Company at all.
quote:
Is it trying to send my username and password to them that you just logged?
Absolutely not.
RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by robochief on 10-24-2005 at 02:05 AM

antd is right, using ZoneAlarm Pro version:6.0.667.000 I also got a warning about msgplus wanting (if I recall it right) to catch keystrokes.

RE: Ok, so you tell us it has adware.... by Patchou on 10-25-2005 at 04:48 AM

Nothing to add to Cookie's reply except that some of you may want to contact Zole Alarm about it.... it's sad to see so many companies are giving into this fashion of displaying as much false information as correct one "just in case", without testing anything anymore.