Shoutbox

Security Software - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Security Software (/showthread.php?tid=52162)

Security Software by DeathzLord on 10-24-2005 at 12:05 PM

I need some opinions about the Security software that's very popular these days..

Answer the poll please

my story about security (short):

McAfee: When i installed it, everything stopped from working  :| it couldn't be :S:S but it did

Norton: it did worked, but it's as slow as a *peep*,  that stupid :@ ^&(^#$%%$ :@ program

Sygate: Wow that was something else... If you like to do many thingw manually, sygate helps you with it.... everything you run is a Trojan or could be higherly dangerous :S you must configure every program in sygate itself... :S

Panda: No Problem... It has it all... Anti-Spyware, Anti-virus, Firewall and so on and so on.... Serieusly, if you disable all Notifications, you'll never notice the protection.. otherwise, you're screen is full with NOTIFICATIONS :S

eTrust: Has no slow-down, has no irritating Notifications, doesn't has an liveUpdate screen or won't use half your internet-connection to stay up-to-date.. No this 1 doesn't...
Then what DOES it do :| had my pc loaded with spyware & virusses, untill i installed an other program...

Well now i use Panda again and i DO have disabled the notifications soo everything is like YEAH...

But what do you guys (and girls) run??

RE: Security Software by dotNorma on 10-24-2005 at 12:32 PM

Well,

I can not say I have used it, but try "NOD32", it seems to be the neowin.net favorite :wink:

Ive also heard kasperspy was good. (y)

RE: Security Software by Anubis on 10-24-2005 at 12:38 PM

I use McAfee, however the Firewall starts but won't tell me that it is actually enabled until I manually access it's CP and then it tells me that it's working with the Red M. However when I looked into it, the firewall is working despite the fact it says its disabled at start up. Not really a problem, tbh.

I like McAfee because I've used it for a long time now, and it does the job with no annoyance.

quote:
Originally posted by DeathzLord
McAfee: When i installed it, everything stopped from working  :| it couldn't be :S:S but it did

Could you provide specific information on exactly what happened, that sounds a little dodgy.
RE: Security Software by Reaper on 10-24-2005 at 12:47 PM

i agree with anubis about mcafee. i used norton for ages, random popups about programs connecting to the internet, i click on allow and it comes up again :S so i switched to mcafee. i also use sygate. i didnt have to configure anything. whenever something needed internet access, i checked whatever it was and chose the right option :P

RE: Security Software by absorbation on 10-24-2005 at 02:35 PM

AVG is free and great however is now decting all adware as torjans which is one feature i hate i prefered the old 7.0  which was out about a month ago :(

Great program :)

RE: Security Software by trini on 10-24-2005 at 02:39 PM

ZoneAlarm.

RE: Security Software by mwe99 on 10-24-2005 at 02:53 PM

I agree with Anubis. McAfee is great, i've never had a problem with it, and if you go to www.PCworld.co.uk you can get it cheaper for a limited period :)

RE: Security Software by absorbation on 10-24-2005 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by trini
ZoneAlarm.

very powerful firewall however is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow i had to remove it and now i use sygate :)
RE: Security Software by MeEtc on 10-24-2005 at 02:58 PM

McAfee, because I get the enterprise edition bundlewd with EPO bundled with it, for free!:refuck:
My uni has a site licence for all students and staff. Also, in rez, its just plain out required for network access :P
That, and ZoneAlarm pro

RE: Security Software by Jimcando on 10-24-2005 at 03:08 PM

I use Sygate Firewall and avast! antivirus :P

RE: Security Software by guanako on 10-24-2005 at 03:57 PM

zone alarm pro (Y), and AVG pro :D

RE: Security Software by hexel on 10-24-2005 at 04:31 PM

Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security (2005 atm).

RE: Security Software by Anubis on 10-24-2005 at 04:36 PM

Hum, seems there are a lot of people who just use a firewall and no anti-virus.

Tbh, I find that a little odd...Viruses, trojans and spyware are far more likely to infect your computer than someone trying to connect to your computer without authorisation. After all 99% of all hacking attempts are allowed because of Trojans and similar programs operating on a victims PC.

RE: Security Software by John Anderton on 10-24-2005 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
quote:
Originally posted by trini
ZoneAlarm.

very powerful firewall however is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow i had to remove it and now i use sygate :)
True .... really nice but it aint slow :-/
My pc config sux wrt urs Absy .... but still it runs perfectly on mine .... wait i dunno what your config is .... mine is a P3, 1 ghz, 256mb sd ram running on a win xp system with the dodgy intel graphics controller (82810 E)

I dont think you have a lower config :P

Zone Alarm Security Suite provides a really nice Antivirus and an awesome firewall (which it always was ;)) It also has Antispyware protection with IM protection and some other stuff .... btw the firewall is a triple defence one as compared to the other single defence firewalls :)

I have version no 6.0.677.000 if anyone wants to know .... thats the latest one :) I think its around 18 - 21 mb :)
RE: Security Software by user35870 on 10-24-2005 at 04:43 PM

I use Mcafee firewall & anitvirus

RE: Security Software by DJKAL on 10-25-2005 at 06:02 PM

i use norton - it does slow my pc slightly on a day to day basis but quite a bit when i run a virus check, i managed to solve much of the da to day slowing down by formatting my pc and then insatlling it as the first program, BEFORE ANYTHING! this has worked loads! :)

RE: Security Software by Fourjays on 10-25-2005 at 06:37 PM

I have used McAfee, e-trust (think thats the name), Nortons and AVG.

Norton was sloooow. Even when running in the background it slowed everything down (on a 2.8Ghz system), now to mention that it took about 3 hours to scan 30Gb of data....

So I got McAfee. Immediately it made sveral things go wrong...

I had no problems with e-trust, but it wasn't really very good at the detection side of things...

I now run AVG, and have done happily for almost a year now. I have the professional edition, which just means I get updates before free users and get them as they come. As for definition updates, I get them daily, to keep AVG up-to-date on the virus front. Whenever I download a file that is infected, no sooner has it landed on my desktop, than AVG tells me. The big bonus is that AVG manages to scan my entire hard disk in around 30 minutes, and can scan in the background without effecting anything.

RE: Security Software by brian on 10-25-2005 at 08:02 PM

Either, be a smartass, dont go mumble out, and you're safe.

RE: Security Software by user27089 on 10-25-2005 at 08:03 PM

I use McAfee Internet Security Suite 2005, it is an amazing piece of software, and I prefer it to Norton, purely because it has less RAM usage, and is just less annoying.

RE: Security Software by Aeryn on 10-25-2005 at 08:10 PM

I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus (which has done its job very nicely so far), and Zone Alarm free firewall.

RE: Security Software by rav0 on 10-26-2005 at 12:59 AM

I use common sense.

RE: Security Software by Lou on 10-26-2005 at 01:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I use common sense.
I second that...I was 4 months without an anti-virus and when I did install one [avg runs and works like a charm, and its free too:P] I had 2 corrupted viruses... thats it:P
RE: Security Software by nostrad on 10-26-2005 at 04:10 PM

As my firewall I've went with ZoneAlarm Pro, it's easy to handle and offers you advanced settings when you need it.

I have seen McAfee in action a few years ago and across 3 versions they didn't get better. Worst thing was when I though I could easily upgrade from version 4 to 5. Both McAfee AV, but no version 5 installed, refused to start and then made bluescreens when trying to uninstall either version 4 or 5... Sure, they might be better now but I've never liked them and probably never will.

I have also seen Norton 2005 doing it's work. The computer it was installed on seemed like a pre 800Mhz (it was an Athlon 2800+). After uninstallation of Norton it ran a lot better.

F-Secure AV is my current favourite but this computer runs Norton 2002 which works just as it should (seems as Norton 2004/2005 is the ones eating computing power).