Shoutbox

Really bad spyware/Virus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Really bad spyware/Virus (/showthread.php?tid=52204)

Really bad spyware/Virus by ray18 on 10-25-2005 at 08:34 AM

Hey my pc has recently being acting very very strange everytime i go to a website it just redericts me to some stupid advertising jamster/gambling/free ipod crap and just then it restared itself for no apparent reason and every 2 mins my msn disconnects any help would be greatly appricatied.

--RaY--

RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by Anubis on 10-25-2005 at 08:38 AM

If you don't already have any anti-virus\anti-spy\adware prorgams installed on your computer try to download the following listed programs, and install them on the infected PC, and then run a full scan of all drives.

Ad-Aware

AGV Anti-Virus.

Spyware Doctor

RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by ray18 on 10-25-2005 at 09:02 AM

Thanks I already have Ad-Aware but i'll get the other two and i also have spybot. i'll give 'em a go.

--RaY--

damn, my spyware picked up a few thing but still i have the same problem of my browesr just going to another website.
RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by Anubis on 10-25-2005 at 09:33 AM

Please would you not post more than one post in a row (it's against the forum rules), as it clutter the thread instead [Image: edit.gif] the previous post with additional information.

What website does it redirect to? If you try and change your homepage in your browsers options, does it still happen?

RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by ray18 on 10-25-2005 at 09:50 AM

Sorry about that it directs me to websites like this (below) one but before it redirects me it squeezes into a really really tiny box then redirects

http://www.searc-h.com/normal/yyy53.html

EDIT: The links are always the same it sends me to except how the one above says '53' the rest have a diffrent number there.

RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by LittleK on 10-25-2005 at 05:48 PM

DONT use Ad-Aware. In my experiance its more trouble than it is good.

RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by Millenium_edition on 10-25-2005 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LittleK
that's probably why the rest of the world thinks it's great
RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by albert on 10-25-2005 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
quote:
Originally posted by LittleK
that's probably why the rest of the world thinks it's great

:lol: yeah, I actully am with M_e on this one, Ad-Aware is really good (y)
RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by Caboose on 10-25-2005 at 08:06 PM

Download Microsoft AntiSpyware, go into the Advanced Tools, click Browser Restore, then restore everything back to default. You also might want to do a full scan too :P. Doesn't hurt to have Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy, either.

In terms of viruses, avast! has never let me down, and it's free.

RE: RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by YottabyteWizard on 10-25-2005 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
If you don't already have any anti-virus\anti-spy\adware prorgams installed on your computer try to download the following listed programs, and install them on the infected PC, and then run a full scan of all drives.

Ad-Aware

AGV Anti-Virus.

Spyware Doctor

I'm suggesting the same software (Y)
Try scanning your computer in SafeMode.
RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by toddiot on 10-25-2005 at 08:23 PM

oh man, not the naked frog :O.

use spybot search and destroy - it always works for me. It often catches stuff ad-aware doesn't in my experience

RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by ray18 on 10-26-2005 at 05:43 AM

Thanks for all the advise i've tried all those but still no luck  but i actually think now that it might of been in something i've installed is that possible? and if it is wouldn't spybot or ad-aware pick it up??

--RaY--

EDIT: anybody have any ideas cos i cant even have a convo in msn or view any webpages just typing this it goes to another rubbish site over and over and its getting really really annoying AHHHH

RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by CookieRevised on 10-26-2005 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ray18
Thanks for all the advise i've tried all those but still no luck  but i actually think now that it might of been in something i've installed is that possible?
Indeed, and that must have been the first place to look to get rid of this, instead of all these anti-something suggestions...

Go to add/remove programs in your control panel in Windows. And look for anything out of the ordinary. Or items like "blahblah search" or the likes. If found uninstall it.

Only then, use programs as S&D, ad-aware, etc... etc...

@helpers in this thread: we constantly say to people that to remove the sponsor from Plus! you need to do what is logically: uninstall by going to add/remove programs instead of forcefully removing it with programs which aren't designed to remove this the proper way. So why should this be different for any other program? You can't expect people to get used to add/remove programs and do the proper stuff if people keep suggesting to use programs as S&D and ad-aware strait away. It doesn't make sense...

quote:
Originally posted by ray18
and if it is wouldn't spybot or ad-aware pick it up??
Not always. Or not always completely. It highly depends on what it is. Programs like S&D and ad-aware _could_ indicate there is something wrong and _could_ give some clues where the problem is though...
RE: Really bad spyware/Virus by Discrate on 10-26-2005 at 10:23 AM

mayby go on to microsoft.com and get this tool which gets rid of viruese for free the really bad ones that normal anti viruese cant get rid of