Shoutbox

router help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: router help (/showthread.php?tid=52319)

router help by DJKAL on 10-27-2005 at 08:18 PM

can any1 help i have the BUFFALO AIR-STATION G54 router running and if i unplug it or turn it off (get a power cut etc) to sum up if the power to it gets cut! then i cant connect to the interent for 2to3 hours!! :( which is a real pain, any ides why this is?
i have added a pic of the router so you can see if you dont know which it is! thanks! :)

RE: router help by kittymew on 10-30-2005 at 04:38 AM

I really think router is over heating....is it near any other devices..is it well ventilated?

RE: router help by DJKAL on 10-30-2005 at 07:48 AM

it is on a shelf - near a window {not in sun ever!} between 2 small satellite speakers and under a tv { which i dont watch!}
ventalated.... it is not blocked by anything and is standing up, { see screen shot above for the route itself}
it doesnt just cut out - but whenever the power to it is lost i cant connect to the internet, msn etc.... through my pc or the other 2 laptops we run.

RE: router help by surfichris on 10-30-2005 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
I really think router is over heating....is it near any other devices..is it well ventilated?
What the hell? It wouldn't be over heating. Don't make useless posts.
quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
but whenever the power to it is lost i cant connect to the internet, msn etc
How do you expect to connect to the internet if there is no power to the router?
RE: RE: router help by DJKAL on 10-30-2005 at 07:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton

How do you expect to connect to the internet if there is no power to the router?

lol noooooo when the power is then re-connected i cant connect
{ie.. if there is a power cut, when the power is back on i cant connect for several hrs!}
RE: router help by surfichris on 10-30-2005 at 08:03 AM

okay, so i'm guessing that you're using ADSL to connect to the internet and your connection would be something as follows:

Internet <--> Modem <--> Router <--> PCs in Network.

Or could it be as follows?

Internet <--> Router <--> PCs in Network.

Firstly, when you login to the admin page of your router, can you get to a logs section which shows you when connections are made, when they've failed etc?

Also, when the power gets cut, what order do you turn things back on? If you're using the first approach (or the modem is simply set as a bridge with the router doing the 'dialing') then you should turn the modem on first, wait for the status lights to come on then turn on the router..

RE: router help by DJKAL on 10-30-2005 at 08:21 AM

we connect via the second method i think - but it might be a modem-router not just router
and as of the other info... we dont have any admin pages or anything, we just accses the internet wireless on any laptop that i install the network card to
and my pc is wired to the router.
all the laptops and pcs used have been formatted atleast once and when the network card/canle is plugged back in there are no problems - it is just when the poer is reomoved and then re-connected that the problem occurs

RE: router help by surfichris on 10-30-2005 at 08:26 AM

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless.php

Which one of those is it?

quote:
we dont have any admin pages or anything

If you go to http://192.168.11.1 and enter the username 'root' and leave the password blank, you should be able to access the configuration page (after a quick look at the manual for one of the Buffalo routers - assuming they're all the same)
RE: router help by DJKAL on 10-30-2005 at 08:38 AM

it isnt any of those 1s - there an image of it as an atachment in the first post.
and i have clicked the link you sent and it comes up with "doucemtn contains no data" - im usinf firefox - is that a probem?
i have atchaced a screen shot of the firfox window.

RE: router help by Nathan on 10-30-2005 at 09:30 AM

If it's wireless then is it in the range, Plus take out thepower leave for 10mins and then try it.
Or There should be a little reset button somehwere click that maybe that will work?

RE: router help by DJKAL on 10-30-2005 at 09:32 AM

it is in the range and also my pc which is wired wont coonect -

ok il try the other 2 suggestions later - will clicking reset mean i have to install anything on the pc again?

RE: router help by Nathan on 10-30-2005 at 09:34 AM

And if that doesnt work then buy a netgear dg834 there sweet!!!!
I've had it for 2 years hade no problems with it!

And reseting no it wont, as your only reseting the actual router, though you might need to configure it again.

RE: RE: router help by rav0 on 10-30-2005 at 09:42 AM

I think it could be because because of the whole (local area) network being knocked out, because there are IP address conflicts when the connections are remade after the power reconnection. Perhaps the router's DHCP table is lost, but the computers still use the same IP addresses and the router gets confused, or the router initialises and connects all the computers, and when the modem (which is physically the same thing) is finished starting, it isn't able to connect because it needs the first IP address there is, which is already taken.

Try (maybe before you go to bed so there is less inconvenience because of no internet access)unplugging everything (except power and ADSL line), and then cutting and restoring power to the router, leave ti a few minutes, and then connecting the computers.

quote:
quote:
Mine does. That isn't a useless post.
RE: router help by M73A on 10-30-2005 at 09:54 AM

i have this router!! :D

boomark the admin page;)

mine you can turn on/off/reset w.e. and it works fine... did have a bit of trouble with restrictions up until i updated the software for it...

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
And if that doesnt work then buy a netgear dg834 there sweet!!!!
I've had it for 2 years hade no problems with it!

And reseting no it wont, as your only reseting the actual router, though you might need to configure it again.

there's nothing wrong with this router!! :P

reset on the router just reboots its....

RE: router help by Nathan on 10-30-2005 at 09:55 AM

I never said there was anything wrong I'm saying the netgears a more reliable!

RE: router help by M73A on 10-30-2005 at 10:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
I never said there was anything wrong I'm saying the netgears a more reliable!

never had trouble with mine:P ... once it ws configured properly 8-)
RE: RE: router help by DJKAL on 10-30-2005 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
i have this router!! :D

boomark the admin page;)

mine you can turn on/off/reset w.e. and it works fine... did have a bit of trouble with restrictions up until i updated the software for it...

what is the admin page?
and the software **gulps** i frmatted the laptop it was installed on - could this be part of the problem?
RE: RE: router help by kittymew on 10-30-2005 at 11:03 PM

quote:
quote:

I apologise Chris I didnt Think it was a useless post,as I have had the same problem..lost power for only up to 2 hours tho

"(( System Specifications for complete environmental
specifications.)) .
Inadequate ventilation can cause the system to overheat and lose power"
"overheating  results in hardware failure."

I thought it was a legible reason for powerloss..sometimes the  simplest solutions are helpful...again my apologies..:(

RE: router help by M73A on 10-30-2005 at 11:22 PM

quote:
what is the admin page?
and the software **gulps** i frmatted the laptop it was installed on - could this be part of the problem?

na the software is on the router... afaik...

open internet explorer or firefox and goto http://192.168.1.1/main.html

it should be that *-) i don't think you can choose what it is so just try that for now:P...

the default password is admin and the username is also admin if it asks for it....

>Click Here For Update Downlaods etc... probably won't need to update but it may come in handy...

>Click Here For WMR G54 FAQ<
RE: router help by mwe99 on 10-30-2005 at 11:22 PM

are you using any encyption or anything secure?

RE: router help by M73A on 10-30-2005 at 11:23 PM

The FAQ tells you how to set it up (encryption....)... linkage in last post ;) :P

RE: RE: router help by DJKAL on 10-31-2005 at 07:47 AM

thanks! (Y)that site has worked {it doesnt mean anythignnt to me though:(}

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
are you using any encyption or anything secure?

do you mean any passwords to access? - nope - its just plugging it in {the first time} and then boot up the pc and use the net
until power is lost - when re connected it wint be able to access th net for 2-3 hrs!!