Shoutbox

MyComputer not loading - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: MyComputer not loading (/showthread.php?tid=52339)

MyComputer not loading by Carbinedevil on 10-28-2005 at 08:39 AM

I used it the day before, but it was perfectly alright. But when I opened it today, it just wont load or something, I can access the Cdrive, but I can access the shortcuts that are on my desktop, which their origin is in Cdrive. However when I type www.google.com in my IE bar, it wont load; but some other webpages load. I dont think I got a virus because I didnt notice anything unusual yesterday. But when I switch on the computer, there will be a screen saying that the computer failed to start properly, probably caused by a hardware/software problem. I only installed Steam yesterday. Did it cause the problem?

I cant add in a screenshot because paint and other programs are not working-
It just shows a torchlight searching a folder...

Some kind soul please help? =(

RE: MyComputer not loading by DragonX on 10-28-2005 at 08:41 AM

Have u tried to do a system restore ? So that u can go back to before u installed Stream - that might help.

RE: MyComputer not loading by Carbinedevil on 10-28-2005 at 08:46 AM

No..unfortunately...I cleared my system restore to delete a virus, and have not backup-ed until now =\

I think the problem is with MyComputer only, because I can access Cdrive if I type C:\ in the windows explorer bar.

RE: MyComputer not loading by Carbinedevil on 10-28-2005 at 08:50 AM

hm..it loaded after 5 mins..but why the lag? :(

RE: MyComputer not loading by DragonX on 10-28-2005 at 08:54 AM

What kind of system do u have (Win version, ram, cpu) ?

FYI, don't double post, edit your first post instead ;)

RE: MyComputer not loading by Carbinedevil on 10-28-2005 at 08:57 AM

Windows XP Professional, version 2002, Service pack 2
Pentium (R) 4CPU 3.00GHz
2.99GHz, 760RAM

RE: MyComputer not loading by Discrate on 10-28-2005 at 08:58 AM

it sounds like a virus to me a really bad one can u go in safe mode?

RE: MyComputer not loading by Carbinedevil on 10-28-2005 at 09:01 AM

I still can access the computer, it didnt slow down for me..

Just that MyComputer lagged for 1-2mins before showing its content, whilst the other drives are fully accessible.

RE: MyComputer not loading by DragonX on 10-28-2005 at 09:01 AM

Hmm, is only accessing yur C:\drive slow or anything that your browsing ? If so it would seem to be a prob with the explorer.exe process.

Now since u have 700mb of ram, i doubt your low on that ;)

RE: MyComputer not loading by Carbinedevil on 10-28-2005 at 09:03 AM

No, ONLY when I open MyComputer, it would lag to show its contents. However, if I type C:/ in my windows explorer, Cdrive shows quickly, the contents are all there.

I'm only wondering what causes this lag and why is there a message when I start my PC saying that the computer has not started up properly. When I shut down my PC, there is a message saying that explorer.exe is not responding. Might this be the problem?

RE: MyComputer not loading by DragonX on 10-28-2005 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Carbinedevil
When I shut down my PC, there is a message saying that explorer.exe is not responding. Might this be the problem?
I doubt it since i guet it form time to time - that's just it not doing it's Kill command properly.

quote:
Originally posted by Carbinedevil
there a message when I start my PC saying that the computer has not started up properly.
Is that just it or is there more info on that message ?
RE: MyComputer not loading by Carbinedevil on 10-28-2005 at 09:15 AM

It asks me to start my computer in safe mode, safe with nekworking, safe with command prompt, last known good config, or start windows normally ;\

RE: MyComputer not loading by DragonX on 10-28-2005 at 09:17 AM

oh ok, that menu... so which one do you pick ? and if u go into safe mode, do u still have the same problem ?

RE: MyComputer not loading by Carbinedevil on 10-28-2005 at 09:32 AM

Everythings fine in safe mode...wont lag..does this mean i got a virus?

RE: MyComputer not loading by DragonX on 10-28-2005 at 09:52 AM

I'm not sure - could be - but run a virus scan either way, just to be sure and a adware/spyware scan wouldn't hurt either ;)

RE: MyComputer not loading by Mike on 10-28-2005 at 11:00 AM

Can you try removing any CD(s) you might have in your CD Drive(s)?
Sometimes, there might be CDs with problems... :-/

RE: MyComputer not loading by kao on 10-28-2005 at 11:42 AM

Arghh. Don't sys restore. Just do ctrl + alt + del, see which proces is using 100%. Do you have a creative mp3 player (Zen, jukebox etc)? if so, it might be the creative software, i get the same thing, you have to make sure your mp3 player is unplugged and the software is closed before opening my computer or the software will just eat the cpu.

RE: MyComputer not loading by Carbinedevil on 10-28-2005 at 01:55 PM

Nothing is on- and Norton didnt pick up a thing in safe mode

My friend suggested that there could be a malicious virus in the CS:CZ cd i got from my friend. I couldnt remember whether the cd caused the problem, as i am not sure whether the error screen saying about the computer not starting up properly happened after or before i inserted the cd. All I remember is that there was a major lag when i inserted the cd :(