Shoutbox

Nicknames extended - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Nicknames extended (/showthread.php?tid=52349)

Nicknames extended by liam234 on 10-28-2005 at 04:24 PM

Hi, I just wanted to know if it's possible to extend you nickname as you can only type so much into the nickname box.  I've seen other people with longer nicknames but I don't know how they do it. can anyone help?

Liam

RE: Nicknames extended by The_Joker on 10-28-2005 at 04:46 PM

afaik u can't extend ur nickname, but u can extend ur psm.
u can do it with mess patch or SPNG's /xpsm option.

RE: Nicknames extended by liam234 on 10-28-2005 at 04:57 PM

Hiya, thanks where can I find these addons or whatever they are?

Liam

RE: Nicknames extended by kierant on 10-28-2005 at 04:59 PM

www.mess.be
www.stuffplug.com

Edit:

- Stuffplug is a plugin for Messenger Plus!. I assume you already have Plus! installed but if not Stuffplug won't function.
- Both of these programs involve editing the original Messenger which is against the license agreement, so ensure that you're willing to break this agreement if you intend to use one/both of them

RE: RE: Nicknames extended by The_Joker on 10-28-2005 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kierant
- Both of these programs involve editing the original Messenger which is against the license agreement, so ensure that you're willing to break this agreement if you intend to use one/both of them.

This has been discussed b4, I believe that SP doesn't do it, like Plus! doesn't.
Mess-patch DOES edit the orginal file, and this is against the license agreement.
RE: RE: RE: Nicknames extended by kierant on 10-28-2005 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The_Joker
quote:
- Both of these programs involve editing the original Messenger which is against the license agreement, so ensure that you're willing to break this agreement if you intend to use one/both of them.

This has been discussed b4, I believe that SP doesn't do it, like Plus! doesn't.
Mess-patch DOES edit the orginal file, and this is against the license agreement.

Oh right. I assumed that because of StuffPlug removing the ad banner in the contact list that it did edit the exe, and that was why it was removed from Plus! (Probably got my wires crossed)
RE: Nicknames extended by CookieRevised on 10-28-2005 at 06:28 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Oh right. I assumed that because of StuffPlug removing the ad banner in the contact list that it did edit the exe, and that was why it was removed from Plus! (Probably got my wires crossed)
Removing stuff like that can also be done in memory (this is called soft-patching, apposed to hard-patching which does alter the exe).

It wasn't removed because it was "illegal" so to speak, but because of the reasons you can read in the sticky thread here: "'MSN advertisement banner' removal".

TB removed the banner-removal in StuffPlug for pretty much the same reasons.
[/OFF TOPIC]

RE: Nicknames extended by DJKAL on 10-28-2005 at 07:04 PM

with stuffplug you can also have mutiple lines in your nick name - this may allow you to have a longer nick name.

RE: Nicknames extended by Plik on 10-28-2005 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
with stuffplug you can also have mutiple lines in your nick name - this may allow you to have a longer nick name.
No it doesnt, the limit is fixed in the MSN protocol so it is impossible for an addon to increase that length.