Shoutbox

Bluetooth Password Authorisation - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Bluetooth Password Authorisation (/showthread.php?tid=52398)

Bluetooth Password Authorisation by John Anderton on 10-29-2005 at 06:15 PM

I saw a samsung phone that my friend in which if im sending him a file via bluetooth it asks him permission (like in nokia) then it asks him a password then it asks me the same password ..... then it starts the transfer.

Thats awesome security against viruses through bluetooth.

Anyidea if i can get it on a symbian phone (my n7610) I tried a lot of googling .... but help.

Also there area already a few programs like the one which TB was working on a few weeks back called BTchat.

RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by John Anderton on 10-30-2005 at 07:11 AM

Hellooowwww .... bump :P
Help plz ;)

RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by rav0 on 10-30-2005 at 07:38 AM

t's a passkey, not a password.

Generally, a passkey is only used when pairing devices. I don't think that you can make a 7610 use one for file transfer. I've emailed a friend who has one asking him if he knows.

Just don't accept install files that you weren't expecting and you won't end up with a virus (or you could get a phone without Symbian :p).

On my computer, BlueSoleil lets me choose which services to use a passkey for, and set exception devices. My T630 only and always uses them when pairing with another device, and I can't change that.

RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by Nathan on 10-30-2005 at 09:36 AM

Passkeys are usually 0000 or 1111 on both phones, have a look in the manual.

RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by paperless on 10-30-2005 at 10:01 AM

I dont exactly know what you mean..

If its possible to get viruses on your symbian phone via BT?
Dont accept files trough Bluetooth coming from someone you dont know, i think bluetooth transfers can only be made with a passkey, but im not sure.

Just never accept something you dont know where it comes from ( at least in Symbian OS phones, i dunno if there are any Java virus for all the other phones ).

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak

???? The passkey is decided by both phone owners in the moment i guess, it then saves the name of the phone to your bt connections ( at least in Symbian OS ).
RE: RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by rav0 on 10-30-2005 at 11:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak

Passkeys are not fixed, that is their use. When you want to authenticate a Bluetooth device, you make up a passkey right then, and enter the same passkey on the client and server devices.

For example, if you and I wanted to pair our phones. I would scan for devices, and select the device that has the name that you set your phone to have. It is possible that somebody nearby has set their phones name set as the same as yours, and I would't want to pair with them by accident. My phone asks me for a passkey, and I could enter 13579. My phone then sends the request to pair, and I would tell you that the passkey I entered is 13579. Your phone would ask you if you would like to pair devices. You click yes and enter the passkey 13579. My phone verifies it against the one I gave it, and since the match, the pairing completes. If I had selected the device of the nearby person who's device had the same name as yours, they wouldn't have known the correct passkey, and wouldn't have been able to be paired with my phone inadvertently.

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
It is, though the viruses don't do much, just spread themselves. You see sonething like "Do you want to install 'hot chick.sis'? YES/NO"
quote:
Originally posted by paperlessi think bluetooth transfers can only be made with a passkey, but im not sure.
They are usually made without a passkey, but John Anderton want them to only be made with a passkey.

Another possible scenario. I'm expecting for you to send me a calculator application for my Symbian OS phone. You are getting ready to send it to me, but then that dodgy guy across the room renames a virus to calculator.sis, and sends it to me. Since I was expecting calculator.sis, I install it and have landed myself a virus. If we used a passkey, this wouldn't have happened.

quote:
Just never accept something you dont know where it comes from ( at least in Symbian OS phones, i dunno if there are any Java virus for all the other phones ).
There's no Java viruses. There would be no point to one, the Symbian ones are successful because thay can keep running but not show themselves. When a Java midlet runs, it gets the screen and should display something. To return to the phone, you exit the midlet.
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by John Anderton on 10-30-2005 at 12:02 PM

Oh yeah tis a passkey but my point is not that i dont wanna get a virus or anything .... i just think that it is a good feature and i was wondering if there is a way to use the passkey system in a symbian phone .....
I know its for paired devices cause my friends cell phone comes under that list now .... My friend has a samsung slide phone (D50 ??) I dunno which one .... but how come it has it ..... I want it too :P

quote:
    Dont accept files trough Bluetooth coming from someone you dont know, i think bluetooth transfers can only be made with a passkey, but im not sure.
Well my friend had some virus called comsomething ... and well i was sending him a music vid thru BT and the transfer stopped ..... then i got a myterious request for a transfer from his phone ..... i didnt know he had a virus so i was gonna say yes .... he stopped me just in time :P
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by Mike on 10-30-2005 at 01:29 PM

Wow, I didn't know that passkeys are used this way...
I thought that it was always 0000...
I've got another question, which might be abit offtopic:
I like to search with my phone people who have their bluetooth enabled and send them files... :P
Sometimes, when I try to send them a file, it says that I want to add myself to their bluetooth list...
Now why is this happening?
A passkey is also requested....

RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by Jhrono on 10-30-2005 at 03:16 PM

When i make transfers through BT i have to specify a code first(usually i give it 1234) and then it asks the other phone for the code and it's done..this with a S60 Phone(N-gage TM) combined with various brands like sony ericson sagem motorola etc..

quote:
Files yes
Messages no
How ?
One word : BlueJacking
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by paperless on 10-30-2005 at 03:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Files yes
Messages no
How ?
One word : BlueJacking

:dodgy: The max you can do that im aware of is send a message trough creating a contact or something and sendig it over bluetooth..

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
It is, though the viruses don't do much, just spread themselves. You see sonething like "Do you want to install 'hot chick.sis'? YES/NO"

I knew that.. :dodgy:
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by Ezra on 10-30-2005 at 05:08 PM

When talking about Bluejacking you are sending "vcards" with a messages instead of your name and information.

But that's all it can do, it can't send a virus or anything

RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation by John Anderton on 10-30-2005 at 05:18 PM

The viruses of today are more of an annoyance than harm causing imo .... they copy themselves to other phones. Via mms'es or BT
So in a way if you have gprs then it mms'es itself so it costs you 8-)

And i think there is no way to get the passkey authetification thingy into smartphones is there ?? (I mean like the samsung phone i mentioned)