Shoutbox

little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) (/showthread.php?tid=52457)

little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Exca on 10-31-2005 at 04:06 PM

Hi,

When I play a game, suddenly my game closes and then i see my desktop, then i have to click on the taskbalk again and then i can play on. It does that every 5 minutes, it's like timed. Same when i'm typing in explorer or in msn, suddenly I can't type anymore, because the window went lightblue and then I have to click it blue again (set it on foreground) before i can type on :S this is strange, and for such stupid things i don't have the courage to format this pc...

RE: little problem by CookieRevised on 10-31-2005 at 04:21 PM

There is clearly some program stealing the focus.

Check all your processes for anything out of the ordinary.
(In XP: CTRL-ALT-DEL)

RE: little problem by Exca on 10-31-2005 at 04:29 PM

oh god i have so many processes, i don't know, i'll post 2 screenshots of my processes

Both screenshots overlay eachother, here is the first (i'll do it in posts because my trialversion of globalscape expired)
RE: little problem by Exca on 10-31-2005 at 04:30 PM

next screenshot:

RE: little problem by CookieRevised on 10-31-2005 at 04:32 PM

Before continuing, sort on second column so all the items with "brecht" are on top (those are the important ones).

ok, I see you already posted them... never mind...

PS 1: 53 processes??? You must be kidding... I'll bet at least 1/3rd you don't need at all...

RE: RE: little problem by Vilkku on 10-31-2005 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
PS 1: 53 processes??? You must be kidding... I'll bet at least 1/3rd you don't need at all...

I got 67...
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by CookieRevised on 10-31-2005 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
I got 67...
That's even more rediculus :| (no pun intended....)

Such amount of processes indicates that you have much stuff running which you don't need at all. Do you exactly know what each process does (the ones with your windows account name besides them)? I bet not though... :p

and than people wonder why there PC is running slow or why they need 1gb of memory :p

-------------

anyways, Exca...

Start by listing each and every process you know of and which of you know what program it is and what it exactly does (the ones with "brecht" besides them). eg:
msnmsgr.exe => MSN Messenger
msgplus.exe => Messenger Plus!
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by MeEtc on 10-31-2005 at 04:39 PM

I used PC Pit Stop to do a scan on some of the processes that I wasn't aware of what they were. (it seems as though you are using a tablet pc) A bunch of processes are related to shortcut buttons, journal viewer, touchpad, etc.

Two processes that I am unsure of are tclock.exe and t00jiv7h.exe

RE: RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Vilkku on 10-31-2005 at 04:54 PM

quote:
quote:
I got 67...

Such amount of processes indicates that you have much stuff running which you don't need at all. Do you exactly know what each process does (the ones with your windows account name besides them)? I bet not though... :p

It's true, I don't have any idea what the most are :P My computer is not slow, so I don't think it's adware.
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Exca on 10-31-2005 at 05:00 PM

here we go;

-wisptis.exe      -> Windows Ink Services Platform Tablet Input Subsystem
-explorer.exe    -> windows explorer
-SMax4PNP       -> Internet clams SoundMAX audio drivers (my soundcard).
-taskmgr           -> the window with processes i'm viewing
-AGRSMMSG      -> softmodem assistant
-Apoint              -> touchpad driver
-jusched           -> seems to check if there are javaplatform updates
-HP Wireless Assistent -> seems logic to me
-hpwuschd2      -> Hewlett Packard Update Scheduler
-qttask              -> quicktime icon in systemtray
-ccapp               -> Symantec Common Client CC App (norton av)
-eabservr          -> Classification of eabservr.exe: System Process
-hkcmd              -> cofigures intel devices
-igfxpers           -> igfxpers.exe is a process associated with the Common User Interface module from Intel.
-msgplus           -> (H)
-t00jiv7h           -> from this one a have no clue, no internet results
-ctfmon              -> part of the Microsoft Office suite
-ApntEx              -> apls touchpaddriver
-agc                   -> screen color&contrast changer (improves lcd's much)
-wincinemamgr  -> Intervideo Wincinema manager
-Tclock               -> adds data and day in systemtray
-msnmsgr          -> msn
-IEXPLORE         -> internetexplorer
-igfxsrvc             -> Intel(R) Graphics Accelerator Helper Module (graphics 'card')

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
I used PC Pit Stop to do a scan on some of the processes that I wasn't aware of what they were. (it seems as though you are using a tablet pc) A bunch of processes are related to shortcut buttons, journal viewer, touchpad, etc.

Two processes that I am unsure of are tclock.exe and t00jiv7h.exe

you're totally right. Only tclock is one of my favorite programs :)
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by MeEtc on 10-31-2005 at 05:10 PM

Try disabling the t00jiv7h.exe process and see what happens.
As always, also try Ad-Aware and Spybot

RE: RE: RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by CookieRevised on 10-31-2005 at 05:13 PM

quote:
It's true, I don't have any idea what the most are :P My computer is not slow, so I don't think it's adware.
I am not talking about adware or whatever, but about useless processes which you don't need at all.

eg:

Many sound driver software, when installed, install also really useless "control centers" or that sort of stuff. Simply double clicking on your speaker icon in the systray will often give you the exact same options. You also don't constantly switch between configurations, so why running "control centers" constantly? (same goes with everything which has to do with graphics).

Print drivers are also notorious in such stuff. Many companies (HP particular) install really useless crap if you choose the "complete" installation procedures. You don't need all that stuff to print a document. In fact you don't need anything except the windows driver...

USB Stick software thingies (eg: software for usb mp3 players and stuff) install many useless stuff. for example the media players from the brand itself. What's the use of that when you use winamp or wmp anyways? Syncronization stuff? No needed at all, simply use Windows explorer

Software for keyboards. If you got XP, such software is useless. XP itself has support for those special keys on your keyboard and this can be set using TweakUI or manually.

Then there are the many programs which you only use sometimes, yet they are constantly loaded into memory because the manufactures think like "just in case you need it"... Truth is, those programs don't need to be running all the time and can be manually started when you need them. Stuff like this includes cdrom writing software and stuff (eg: nero's drivespeed), etc... etc...

And I can go on and on...

All that stuff really eats memory and resources and does slow down your PC. Often I go to friends to clean out their PC (this includes killing those processes and configuring their pc so they don't run all the time and continously) Many people are very surprised when they see how smooth their PC runs after cleaning (and maintaining) them or how fast it starts up, even if they thought that there PC already runs "fast" and smooth...

PS: Exca, please stop double posting ;)

----------------------

-SMax4PNP
True drivers are not run as processes. This means this process is not needed. Your soundcard will work just the same without this.

-AGRSMMSG
Same as with the sound drivers. What is this "assistant"?

-jusched
In other words, useless. When you run a Java applet in browsers it will notice you anyway if it can run because you have an outdated java engine. Furthermore, java isn't updated 24/7 but only once every few months or so. So why running this?

-hpwuschd2
useless

-qttask
unless you were currently running a quicktime file. This is totally useless and goes in the category of "manufactures running useless stuff because they think you need it".
Quick Time does not need to run constantly in order to play a quick time media file. Double clicking on a quick time file will open Quick Time anyways.

-ccapp
Norton AV... enough said (notorious in running useless, but hard to kill, processes)

-hkcmd
Why running this? Why do you need a configuration tool running all the time? Configure it, done...

-igfxpers
WTH is "Common User Interface module from Intel"? Again, I strongly suspect this is useless stuff.

-igfxsrvc
A graphics card doesn't need such stuff to be running to work perfectly

-ctfmon
not needed at all.
If you run an office program, all the needed components are loaded anyways. Why do you need to keep a piece of Office in memory all the time?

-agc
Configuration tool. Again, configure your stuff properly (in de properties of the drivers) and be done with it. It is not like you are constantly switching between several configurations, no?

-wincinemamgr
useless...

-Tclock
ermm... ok... although adding date/time in systemtray is already perfectly possible without this

----------------------------

Some stuff which I highly recommended in such situations is:
* SysInternal's AutoRuns
* The infamous "Black Viper's homepage" (down since a while and not sure if it will ever return, but some of the info is reproduced here)

Though both AutoRuns and Black Viper's info requires some knowledge to be used properly.

There is no better program than "AutoRuns", although some might suggest stuff like "Startup CPL" or whatever. But all those tools do not lists all the possible startup entries and don't have the possebilities which "Autoruns" has.

BlackViper is very known for his technical and very detailed analyses of all the various Windows Services. Although, because it is about Windows Services, some knowledge is required to follow and understand everything which he recommends. Many stuff listed on his page is for interpretation and depends on what you exactly do with your computer. You need to follow and understand the instructions exactly before attempting anything (and common sense)!! eg: if it is said to first read the links under the processes to know what they do before disabling them, do it and read those links first!!!
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by mad_onion on 10-31-2005 at 06:30 PM

quote:
I got 67...

omg ive only got 23. i dont know if i would be able to get 67 if i tried :S

oh and while it isnt actually a good way to solve your problem you can stop any program stealing focus from another with tweak xp which you can get the microsoft site.
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Exca on 10-31-2005 at 07:17 PM

quote:
I am not talking about adware or whatever, but about useless processes which you don't need at all.

eg:

Many sound driver software, when installed, install also really useless "control centers" or that sort of stuff. Simply double clicking on your speaker icon in the systray will often give you the exact same options. You also don't constantly switch between configurations, so why running "control centers" constantly? (same goes with everything which has to do with graphics).

Print drivers are also notorious in such stuff. Many companies (HP particular) install really useless crap if you choose the "complete" installation procedures. You don't need all that stuff to print a document. In fact you don't need anything except the windows driver...

USB Stick software thingies (eg: software for usb mp3 players and stuff) install many useless stuff. for example the media players from the brand itself. What's the use of that when you use winamp or wmp anyways? Syncronization stuff? No needed at all, simply use Windows explorer

Software for keyboards. If you got XP, such software is useless. XP itself has support for those special keys on your keyboard and this can be set using TweakUI or manually.

Then there are the many programs which you only use sometimes, yet they are constantly loaded into memory because the manufactures think like "just in case you need it"... Truth is, those programs don't need to be running all the time and can be manually started when you need them. Stuff like this includes cdrom writing software and stuff (eg: nero's drivespeed), etc... etc...

And I can go on and on...

All that stuff really eats memory and resources and does slow down your PC. Often I go to friends to clean out their PC (this includes killing those processes and configuring their pc so they don't run all the time and continously) Many people are very surprised when they see how smooth their PC runs after cleaning (and maintaining) them or how fast it starts up, even if they thought that there PC already runs "fast" and smooth...

PS: Exca, please stop double posting ;)

----------------------

-SMax4PNP
True drivers are not run as processes. This means this process is not needed. Your soundcard will work just the same without this.

-AGRSMMSG
Same as with the sound drivers. What is this "assistant"?

-jusched
In other words, useless. When you run a Java applet in browsers it will notice you anyway if it can run because you have an outdated java engine. Furthermore, java isn't updated 24/7 but only once every few months or so. So why running this?

-hpwuschd2
useless

-qttask
unless you were currently running a quicktime file. This is totally useless and goes in the category of "manufactures running useless stuff because they think you need it".
Quick Time does not need to run constantly in order to play a quick time media file. Double clicking on a quick time file will open Quick Time anyways.

-ccapp
Norton AV... enough said (notorious in running useless, but hard to kill, processes)

-hkcmd
Why running this? Why do you need a configuration tool running all the time? Configure it, done...

-igfxpers
WTH is "Common User Interface module from Intel"? Again, I strongly suspect this is useless stuff.

-igfxsrvc
A graphics card doesn't need such stuff to be running to work perfectly

-ctfmon
not needed at all.
If you run an office program, all the needed components are loaded anyways. Why do you need to keep a piece of Office in memory all the time?

-agc
Configuration tool. Again, configure your stuff properly (in de properties of the drivers) and be done with it. It is not like you are constantly switching between several configurations, no?

-wincinemamgr
useless...

-Tclock
ermm... ok... although adding date/time in systemtray is already perfectly possible without this

----------------------------

Some stuff which I highly recommended in such situations is:
* SysInternal's AutoRuns
* The infamous "Black Viper's homepage" (down since a while and not sure if it will ever return, but some of the info is reproduced here)

Though both AutoRuns and Black Viper's info requires some knowledge to be used properly.

There is no better program than "AutoRuns", although some might suggest stuff like "Startup CPL" or whatever. But all those tools do not lists all the possible startup entries and don't have the possebilities which "Autoruns" has.

BlackViper is very known for his technical and very detailed analyses of all the various Windows Services. Although, because it is about Windows Services, some knowledge is required to follow and understand everything which he recommends. Many stuff listed on his page is for interpretation and depends on what you exactly do with your computer. You need to follow and understand the instructions exactly before attempting anything (and common sense)!! eg: if it is said to first read the links under the processes to know what they do before disabling them, do it and read those links first!!!

Tnx for the reply. Now, the things that open automaticly while clicking, i will disable to boot on startup. What about the others, do i have to delete them? Intel needs to stay because the graphics'card' is actually a bunch of software, there isn't really a card. It's being processed by software and by the pc's processor.

EDIT: I actually don't know how to get rid of those processes. And if they are gone, windows update will let me download the crap again..

RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by matty on 10-31-2005 at 07:27 PM

I am going to go out on a limb and say this is the culprit; t00jiv7h.

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
What about the others, do i have to delete them? Intel needs to stay because the graphics'card' is actually a bunch of software, there isn't really a card. It's being processed by software and by the pc's processor.

Run the program Autoruns from SysInternals and click File > Save As and post the results of its scan. We can tell you what to delete from  the startup.
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Mike on 10-31-2005 at 07:30 PM

I currently have 71 processes running...
When my computer boots, I think I have about 69 processes running...

My current running processes are in the attachment...

RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Exca on 10-31-2005 at 07:41 PM

Here are the results (looks quite alot to me):

RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by matty on 10-31-2005 at 08:28 PM

This looks like everything fot the both of you. Don't do it yet have someone else double check this.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ADVICE WE GIVE.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I currently have 71 processes running...
When my computer boots, I think I have about 69 processes running...

My current running processes are in the attachment...

[Image: file_text.gif] Attachment: processes.txt (4.18 KB)

BTTray.exe
btwdins.exe
essspk.exe
GBPoll.exe
GBTray.exe
gearsec.exe
GHOSTS~2.EXE
GhostStartTrayApp.exe
hamachi.exe
hkcmd.exe
HPAlertWMI.exe
HPConfig.exe
hpdisply.exe
HPTrayIcon.exe
igfxtray.exe
InCDsrv.exe
InkSaver.exe
KodakCCS.exe
OneTouch.EXE
SAgent2.exe
sfAgent.exe
SynTPEnh.exe
SynTPLpr.exe
WMIWDog.exe

quote:
Here are the results (looks quite alot to me):

[Image: file_text.gif] Attachment: result.txt (46.34 KB)

AGRSMMSG
Cpqset
HP Software Update
igfxhkcmd
igfxpers
igfxtray
LSBWatcher
LVCOMS
NeroCheck
QuickTime Task
SoundMAX
SoundMAXPnP
SunJavaUpdateSched
SurfAccuracy
t00jiv7h

AGC.lnk
InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by kittymew on 10-31-2005 at 09:06 PM

(kinna off topic)I recently did a thread that no-one seemed to be able to help me with..same subject matter kinna (processes) i really need someone to help me walk through the processes with me..that are on my comp..could someone pm me if they are willing to help?

goodluck Exca in solving your problem!~:)

RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by matty on 10-31-2005 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
(kinna off topic)I recently did a thread that no-one seemed to be able to help me with..same subject matter kinna (processes) i really need someone to help me walk through the processes with me..that are on my comp..could someone pm me if they are willing to help?

goodluck Exca in solving your problem!~:)
I will help ya on msn when I get home from work.
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Chris4 on 10-31-2005 at 09:25 PM

The easiest way for me to solve this problem would be to go to Start > Run > type msconfig

Go to Startup tab, and unselect the programs you do not think you need; and just tick the ones you need.

This happens to me all the time and this is the easiest solution for me.

Hope that helps.

RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by matty on 10-31-2005 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris4
The easiest way for me to solve this problem would be to go to Start > Run > type msconfig

Go to Startup tab, and unselect the programs you do not think you need; and just tick the ones you need.

Hope that helps.
msconfig does not show you all the possible startup items that is why we are having them use Autoruns by SysInternals. Please read the entire thread first :P
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Supersonicdarky on 10-31-2005 at 09:34 PM

just to add to this...

quote:

I have 92 processes...
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Mike on 10-31-2005 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty

BTTray.exe
btwdins.exe
essspk.exe
GBPoll.exe
GBTray.exe
gearsec.exe
GHOSTS~2.EXE
GhostStartTrayApp.exe
hamachi.exe
hkcmd.exe
HPAlertWMI.exe
HPConfig.exe
hpdisply.exe
HPTrayIcon.exe
igfxtray.exe
InCDsrv.exe
InkSaver.exe
KodakCCS.exe
OneTouch.EXE
SAgent2.exe
sfAgent.exe
SynTPEnh.exe
SynTPLpr.exe
WMIWDog.exe
Yes, what about them?
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by matty on 10-31-2005 at 09:43 PM

quote:
quote:

BTTray.exe
btwdins.exe
essspk.exe
GBPoll.exe
GBTray.exe
gearsec.exe
GHOSTS~2.EXE
GhostStartTrayApp.exe
hamachi.exe
hkcmd.exe
HPAlertWMI.exe
HPConfig.exe
hpdisply.exe
HPTrayIcon.exe
igfxtray.exe
InCDsrv.exe
InkSaver.exe
KodakCCS.exe
OneTouch.EXE
SAgent2.exe
sfAgent.exe
SynTPEnh.exe
SynTPLpr.exe
WMIWDog.exe
Yes, what about them?
Those you can remove from your system startup.
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Mike on 10-31-2005 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Well, I use some of them...

BTTray.exe Probably the bluetooth tray icon
btwdins.exe - Dont know
essspk.exe - Something that the laptop modem needs to work ... I think
GBPoll.exe - GoBack ... something file ( http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/gbpoll/ )
GBTray.exe - Goback tray icon probably... I could probably remove this one...
gearsec.exe - Not really sure
GHOSTS~2.EXE - Something about Norton Ghost
GhostStartTrayApp.exe - Norton Ghost tray app
hamachi.exe - Hamachi is ... hamachi ( http://www.hamachi.cc )
hkcmd.exe - Something about Intel... :S ( http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/hkcmd/index.php )
HPAlertWMI.exe - HP laptop something...
HPConfig.exe - HP laptop something...
hpdisply.exe - HP laptop something...
HPTrayIcon.exe - HP laptop something...
igfxtray.exe - A tray icon for my graphics card...
InCDsrv.exe - I could disable this I guess... I dont use it...
InkSaver.exe - I use it when I print... Saves me ink :)
KodakCCS.exe - Could disable it...
OneTouch.EXE - I think that this is for the touchpad for the laptop...
SAgent2.exe - Start Up faster agent probably... Could disable it...
sfAgent.exe - Start Up faster agent again probably... Could disable it...
SynTPEnh.exe - Dont know
SynTPLpr.exe - Dont know
WMIWDog.exe - Dont know
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Exca on 10-31-2005 at 10:05 PM

quote:
AGRSMMSG
Cpqset
HP Software Update
igfxhkcmd
igfxpers
igfxtray
LSBWatcher
LVCOMS
NeroCheck
QuickTime Task
SoundMAX
SoundMAXPnP
SunJavaUpdateSched
SurfAccuracy
t00jiv7h

AGC.lnk

So these i uncheck in Autoruns. And then just quit&reboot? (tnx in advance)

RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by matty on 10-31-2005 at 10:22 PM

quote:
quote:
Well, I use some of them...

BTTray.exe Probably the bluetooth tray icon
btwdins.exe - Dont know
essspk.exe - Something that the laptop modem needs to work ... I think
GBPoll.exe - GoBack ... something file ( http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/gbpoll/ )
GBTray.exe - Goback tray icon probably... I could probably remove this one...
gearsec.exe - Not really sure
GHOSTS~2.EXE - Something about Norton Ghost
GhostStartTrayApp.exe - Norton Ghost tray app
hamachi.exe - Hamachi is ... hamachi ( http://www.hamachi.cc )
hkcmd.exe - Something about Intel... :S ( http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/hkcmd/index.php )
HPAlertWMI.exe - HP laptop something...
HPConfig.exe - HP laptop something...
hpdisply.exe - HP laptop something...
HPTrayIcon.exe - HP laptop something...
igfxtray.exe - A tray icon for my graphics card...
InCDsrv.exe - I could disable this I guess... I dont use it...
InkSaver.exe - I use it when I print... Saves me ink :)
KodakCCS.exe - Could disable it...
OneTouch.EXE - I think that this is for the touchpad for the laptop...
SAgent2.exe - Start Up faster agent probably... Could disable it...
sfAgent.exe - Start Up faster agent again probably... Could disable it...
SynTPEnh.exe - Dont know
SynTPLpr.exe - Dont know
WMIWDog.exe - Dont know
But the thing is do you really need to run it all?
quote:
quote:
AGRSMMSG
Cpqset
HP Software Update
igfxhkcmd
igfxpers
igfxtray
LSBWatcher
LVCOMS
NeroCheck
QuickTime Task
SoundMAX
SoundMAXPnP
SunJavaUpdateSched
SurfAccuracy
t00jiv7h

AGC.lnk

That would be the plan :P
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Chris4 on 10-31-2005 at 10:45 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chris4

Hope that helps.
msconfig does not show you all the possible startup items that is why we are having them use Autoruns by SysInternals. Please read the entire thread first :P
Sorry, didn't know that. :)
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Exca on 10-31-2005 at 10:54 PM

quote:
quote:

That would be the plan 

So there is no need to delete them, just uncheck :p (to be clear)...

RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Facta on 11-01-2005 at 12:48 AM

i have 25 processes ha ha ha j/k, i do have 25 thou

RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by cardshark on 11-01-2005 at 03:31 AM

quote:
Hi,

When I play a game, suddenly my game closes and then i see my desktop, then i have to click on the taskbalk again and then i can play on. It does that every 5 minutes, it's like timed. Same when i'm typing in explorer or in msn, suddenly I can't type anymore, because the window went lightblue and then I have to click it blue again (set it on foreground) before i can type on :S this is strange, and for such stupid things i don't have the courage to format this pc...
Quite honestly, I have the same problem. The thing is, the culprit is iexplore.exe. Some program keeps calling it to start again (I use Firefox and not IE now). I think it may actually be MSN Messenger, but I'm not totally sure. If anyone knows how to keep this from happening, I would be grateful, and I bet the OP would be, too, since we seem to be having the same issue.

Also, if anyone is willing to help me cut down on excess processes running, send me a PM. I have on average about 45 running and would like to know what else I can kill without killing my system. :)
RE: RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by rav0 on 11-01-2005 at 05:45 AM

CookieRevised, most of your post is correct, however, I have some comments.

quote:

quote:
-SMax4PNP
True drivers are not run as processes, but this isn't a true driver. SoundMAX audio requires its background process running.
quote:

Not everything of a printer can be accessed without specialised software, however, if all the software does is show ink levels and advertise its brand, then it is indeed, useless.

quote:

BTTray.exe
btwdins.exe
WMIWDog.exe
quote:

Not these two. They are part of the Widcomm Bluetooth suite. This is another example of when devices need software additional to their drivers to function.

quote:
So there is no need to delete them, just uncheck :p (to be clear)...
Just uncheck. Deleting them does just that. Unchecking them will remove them from the location that they are in, but will keep the information for that item, so that they can be easily restored by rechecking.
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Exca on 11-01-2005 at 09:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Just uncheck. Deleting them does just that. Unchecking them will remove them from the location that they are in, but will keep the information for that item, so that they can be easily restored by rechecking.

Oké thanks. I've done it, I have 45 processes at the moment. Can I also delete system processes ed. I'd like to have less so i have more memory for other things :-)

EDIT: 40 processes at current. And at least my focus works again :D
RE: RE: RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by CookieRevised on 11-01-2005 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
CookieRevised, most of your post is correct, however, I have some comments.

quote:
Not everything of a printer can be accessed without specialised software, however, if all the software does is show ink levels and advertise its brand, then it is indeed, useless.
I have never come across any printer where you couldn't access all the properties thru the normal way (and I have tested and used a lot of printers from basic ones to very advanced ones). This is because the "properties" and "advanced" button you'll see in printer dialogs always starts up these 'special brand property' windows. Especially the software from the HP ones is always redundant and thus useless.

I have never ever come across any background process for printers which was actually needed in any situation.
RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by kittymew on 11-01-2005 at 10:20 PM

Thanks to Matty I have now gone from 31 processes to 28..This sounds like an AA confession..:P

Funnily enough I was worried for nothing..Though my comp is running a tad bit faster and smoother..Perhaps its just in my mind.

As for Exca..I have been having so many problems with IE.not being able to access sites.IE crashing and affecting my comp to the point where its rebooting.Personally after reading through this thread..Ive now fixed my processes..And i am only using IE for one site I frequent ,the rest its firefox all the way..Thanks for making this question of yours public..made me change the way i use my comp~!:D

I really need some sleep what am I doing here|-)

RE: little problem (something steals focus every 5 min) by Exca on 11-01-2005 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
Thanks to Matty I have now gone from 31 processes to 28..This sounds like an AA confession..:P

Funnily enough I was worried for nothing..Though my comp is running a tad bit faster and smoother..Perhaps its just in my mind.

As for Exca..I have been having so many problems with IE.not being able to access sites.IE crashing and affecting my comp to the point where its rebooting.Personally after reading through this thread..Ive now fixed my processes..And i am only using IE for one site I frequent ,the rest its firefox all the way..Thanks for making this question of yours public..made me change the way i use my comp~!:D

I really need some sleep what am I doing here|-)

lol :p well, no problem! Hope you will use IE more often from now, normally it shouldn't be bugging your pc...