Shoutbox

Plugin Reloader - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Plugin Reloader (/showthread.php?tid=52480)

Plugin Reloader by riahc4 on 11-01-2005 at 08:36 AM

Could someone make a good nice compatible plugin reloaded plugin? I have one but it usually freezes up MSN and I dont know any that is made for the current MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! version. It be nice to have a new one with some options:
1) Run thru all plugins commands/config and those that give a error disable. Those that dont, stay
2) Disable all plugins
3) Disable and reload all plugins.
4) Enable disabled plugins

Those would be some of the nice features possible in this plugin. Thanks to anyone that will start working on it!

Now that I think of it "Plugin: Reloaded" would be a nice name too.

RE: Plugin Reloader by Dempsey on 11-01-2005 at 10:28 AM

Someone could make it, but what's wrong with the existing reloaders?

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
I have one but it usually freezes up MSN and I dont know any that is made for the current MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! version.
When MSN Freezes after a plugin reload that's normally caused by a Plugin incorectly initalising the Messenger API AFAIK.  Also How exactly would a reloader pugin be made for the current MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus!  ?  The coding would be identical...
RE: Plugin Reloader by riahc4 on 11-01-2005 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
Someone could make it, but what's wrong with the existing reloaders?
They dont have the features I just came up with. Existing reloadeders are how old?
Thats why.

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey

quote:
I have one but it usually freezes up MSN and I dont know any that is made for the current MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! version.
When MSN Freezes after a plugin reload that's normally caused by a Plugin incorectly initalising the Messenger API AFAIK.  Also How exactly would a reloader pugin be made for the current MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus!  ?  The coding would be identical...
The coding could be optimized and be searched for any faults.
Well that plugin incorrectly initalising the API, is the plugin reloader. It makes MSN freeze up completely.
A fresh newly coded plugin reloader for best current MSN Messenger/Messenger Plus! compatibility would be great.

(This is offtopic but can plugins (not neccesarily this one) be written in Pascal? I know its a very old language and weak/small/pointless but I just wanna know)
RE: Plugin Reloader by TazDevil on 11-01-2005 at 02:43 PM

Well what you are requesting i s a plugin manager.. which Plus! already has...

Also current reloaders DO work with current versions of MSN and Plus!

Only problem with error trapping is that loading/unloading is performed by Plus! so it is virtually impossible for a plugin to error trap a Plus! operation, in order to take further action

Plus Patchou has implemented very thourough checks so when a plugin is at fault it will be disabled and not loaded next time msn starts / or plugins are loaded...

RE: Plugin Reloader by riahc4 on 11-01-2005 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Well what you are requesting i s a plugin manager.. which Plus! already has...
Tell me where is the button or the "/" command to reload all plugins. Or to disable them all. Or enabled disabled ones but dont load loaded ones. Exactly. There is none.
quote:
Also current reloaders DO work with current versions of MSN and Plus!
They are buggy. They work but they are buggy.

Is it so wrong to have more that one plugin that does the same thing?
RE: Plugin Reloader by Ezra on 11-01-2005 at 02:57 PM

I suggest Patchou makes his own command for it, that way it will work allways

RE: Plugin Reloader by TazDevil on 11-01-2005 at 03:07 PM

well TB's plugin isn't buggy at all
link http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=452058
command /xreload

And you can enable/disable plugins from Preferences > Plugins
tick and untick whatever yuo want...

if you are requesting for a command / then i think there isn't one, but it still can be done, through preferences

RE: Plugin Reloader by TheBlasphemer on 11-01-2005 at 10:09 PM

My plugin reloader, and the default plugin reloaders are not buggy.
If MSN Messenger crashes, it's because one of the plugins does not clean up properly while unloading, and for example leaves some hooks in MSN pointing to no-longer existing objects in memory...

RE: Plugin Reloader by riahc4 on 11-02-2005 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TazDevil
command /xreload

if you are requesting for a command / then i think there isn't one, but it still can be done, through preferences
quote:
My plugin reloader, and the default plugin reloaders are not buggy.
If MSN Messenger crashes, it's because one of the plugins does not clean up properly while unloading, and for example leaves some hooks in MSN pointing to no-longer existing objects in memory...
Ok and can't that be resolved by writing a new plugin reloaded that avoids/trys to fix those issues?
Just tried to reload with your Reloader and MSN has freezed up.
RE: Plugin Reloader by TheBlasphemer on 11-02-2005 at 04:02 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TazDevil
command /xreload

Ok and can't that be resolved by writing a new plugin reloaded that avoids/trys to fix those issues?

No, if that'd be possible, then microsoft would pay millions of dollars  for it, as it would prevent almost every crash out there :P
RE: Plugin Reloader by TazDevil on 11-02-2005 at 04:07 PM

quote:

Nope ... only thing you can do is find which specific plugin causes the problem and try to resolve it with the author...

To find that you have to reload your plugins by adding each plugin at a time an see if it freezes...

as TB and i said, it is not the reloader's issue, the issue is with a specific plugin's cleanup sequence...
The reloader simply posts a message to plus to make them reload (unload/reload) plugins, it doesnot mess with the actuall procedure of loading and unloading
it just initiates the procedure... and lets plus handle the rest

(and even IF it could be done it would be impossible to maintain as plugins come out very often, new plugins/ or updated versions so it will be impsossible to maintain such a project)

RE: Plugin Reloader by riahc4 on 11-02-2005 at 04:33 PM

Then I just hope Plus! comes out with its own plugin reloader like I requested and future plugins must be made with a instruction to make them 100% reload compatible if not they cant be installed.

RE: Plugin Reloader by TheBlasphemer on 11-02-2005 at 04:38 PM

Plus's own reloader won't solve anything, it'd do the exact same thing.
And there are already guidelines to do proper cleanup, but not everyone obeys them...

RE: Plugin Reloader by TazDevil on 11-02-2005 at 04:47 PM

so can you post the list of your currently loaded plugins ?
and try to find which is at fault...

i think it is highly impropable that anything can be done in Plus! either

i just realised that there is a small bug in Plus, that could be solved in a reloader plugin or better by Patchou...

The issue is only caused by VB plugins (plugins coded in visual basic).
Plus successfully removes all referenses to these plugins but fails to remove them from memory... therefore causing unfavourable effects...

Plus after removing all VB plugins references should call
CoFreeUnusedLibraries();
which will automatically remove unused libraries, (plugins) and therefore restore compatibility...

This way plugins vb and c++ can be loaded/unloaded, live after a reload message, without the need to restart messenger

I am posting this in the bugs section so that Patchou can fix it...
This is in reply to riahc4 ;)
ok riahc4, i have built an new reloader, that i think can unload correctly the vb plugins...
you can try it here http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=52643
but it cant do anything further if a plugin does not follow proper unloading procedure and therefore produces a crash or other effect...
RE: Plugin Reloader by thc2010 on 11-05-2005 at 03:28 AM

this is the most amazing plugin ( usefull) ever!