Shoutbox

Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) (/showthread.php?tid=52495)

Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 11-01-2005 at 07:48 PM

From what i read on http://spaces.msn.com/members/MessengerSays/

It says that the name is not gonna be MSN messenger anymore, but Windows Live Messenger.

There is not going to be the butterfly any more.

That you can run either msn messenger or windows live messenger.. just like MSN messenger 7.0 and 7.5

Check this.. quote..

quote:
Final Thoughts (for now) : 

- Windows Live Messenger is not out yet - but I can promise that as soon as it is, we'll let you know. Keep using MSN Messenger. We worked hard on it!

- Windows Live Messenger and MSN Messenger will not be two separate clients in the sense that you cannot have them both on your computer at once. It's one or the other, just like MSN Messenger 7.0 and MSN Messenger 7.5

- If you're scared that MSN Messenger is ending, don't be. This is not the end of MSN Messenger, but a Metamorphosis. Come with us on this journey, it will be worth it. (Oh sad, metamorphosis makes me think of butterflies. Sniff)

- I'm embarrassed to even have to talk about this, but for now, it's still an issue: Windows Live Messenger and Windows Messenger are still not the same thing. Just pick the one you like to use, and close the other one up, you're not meant to run them both, one is just a bigger brighter flashier version of the other.   

- Come back to the blog! Everything you'll want or need to know about Windows Live Messenger will find it's way up here. That, and I'll take it personally if you don't come back to visit. Next time I'll make snacks. Ok, bye.

It's impressive...
RE: Windows Live Messenger by -rafy- on 11-01-2005 at 08:04 PM

hmm so instead of telling my friends... "I'll talk to you on MSN"

it'll be "ill talk to you on Windows live"

wtf. Everybody calls it just "MSN". CHanging that isnt going to do the brand any favours =/

RE: Windows Live Messenger by M73A on 11-01-2005 at 08:05 PM

i HATE the name.... :@

RE: Windows Live Messenger by -rafy- on 11-01-2005 at 08:08 PM

Its a stupid name. Whats the point of changing an established brand name? I cant really think of a good reason why it needs to be changed!

You dont change a brand like that for the mere sake of it...

RE: Windows Live Messenger by Lt.Col.DraGon on 11-01-2005 at 08:12 PM

it's been more than 5 years with that name i think and now they will be changing it, it's sad.

RE: Windows Live Messenger by albert on 11-01-2005 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
Whats the point of changing an established brand name?

Maybe because of the Yahoo & MSN combination..

Anyways.. I think it doesn't change much for me, I'll probably switch to Windows Live... Just want to be up-to-date..
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by -rafy- on 11-01-2005 at 08:18 PM

nah its not beacuse of yahoo/msn

Its due to Microsoft mergeing their MSN department with the windows division.

man this sucks.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 11-01-2005 at 08:20 PM

quote:
nah its not beacuse of yahoo/msn

Its due to Microsoft mergeing their MSN department with the windows division.

man this sucks.

sad to say, but yes

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by albert on 11-01-2005 at 08:28 PM

Humm.. I don't really understand why you guys are sad about it..? u still have the same product, only the name has changed..? :S

BTW! huge thx to Lt.Col Dragon,  I needed some important MSN ppl to help me out with a research for school.. thx rlly for posting this..!

RE: Windows Live Messenger by lizard.boy on 11-01-2005 at 08:31 PM

i think its stupid, but hey. its microsoft's monopoly product.. let them do as they choose.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by -rafy- on 11-01-2005 at 08:33 PM

Well, yes i guess its up to them wether they want to destroy their brand.

It may be the same to us msn addicts, but there will only be confusion among n00bs (i.e the majority of msn users)

I predict they'll revert back to MSN branding by MSN 9.0

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Jennifer on 11-01-2005 at 08:33 PM

thanks for the information, although i dont know why they are changing the name

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 11-01-2005 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
Humm.. I don't really understand why you guys are sad about it..? u still have the same product, only the name has changed..? :S

BTW! huge thx to Lt.Col Dragon,  I needed some important MSN ppl to help me out with a research for school.. thx rlly for posting this..!
you're welcome m8.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-01-2005 at 08:42 PM

i used to call it messenger all the time, wat i dont get is why some people calls it MSN,  and is not only Windows Live, is Windows Live Messenger. and people that is used to it and knows about it,can simply say Messenger, like if i said messenger here wat is the first thing u think about MSN messenger isnt it?

i wonder if they are gonna have a new icon instead of the butterfly..or it can be only the two people one:D can wait to c it:drool:

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by -rafy- on 11-01-2005 at 08:43 PM

Good point in a comment on Leah's blog:

quote:
Well, that's all. I hope there won't be much confusion between Windows Messenger and Windows Live Messenger. The word 'live' doesn't really mean much to the consumer, or just isn't much appealing. Confusing! Not for me, but for the regular joe.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by evil_panda on 11-01-2005 at 08:52 PM

well...i belive that if they want to change it there going to change it so no point complaining about it really i mean come on what are the odd few small town people going to do to stop them hey? RIOT!!!!:P

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by spokes on 11-01-2005 at 09:22 PM

maybe they got annoyed with people sayin the company name, but actually only referring to a certain part of the company, therefore, not thinking of msn as search, emails etc..but only as messenger. maybe they want people to think of those when they here the term MSN

but yeh, the new name is sad

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by RebelSean on 11-01-2005 at 09:36 PM

That is a very bad move in my honest opinion. I mean, it has always been called MSN Messenger. And there is already an Windows Messenger client. As the people posted on Leah's blog, it is going to be VERY confusing. I will be reshacking my "Windows Live Messenger" to say MSN Messenger indeed. This is bad news for those of us with sites that customize MSN Messenger :blah:

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Supersonicdarky on 11-01-2005 at 09:37 PM

this is just like when they changed Longhorn to Vista, everybody hated it at first, but now people like it quite alot :)

same issue here

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Negro_Joe on 11-01-2005 at 09:40 PM

its a name...:dodgy:

This program is very well established as one of the best IM, and a name change is not going to change anhything,

"OMG look at the name! Im not getting that its obviously going to suck"

come on...:S

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by kittymew on 11-01-2005 at 10:10 PM

The name is just bringing a freshness to what they think is stale..and the norm..makes the  new consumer think.."something different  must be better..
Changing the name also stops confusion between this new version and the older versions..

MSN messenger is completely different to what it was say four years ago...so a new name for a product that has come so far is totally expected.
But for the users of the old..a thing to remember is
"After all, what's most important is how the thing works, not what it's called."!~:)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-01-2005 at 10:13 PM

"Windows Live Messenger" it sounds strange now, but im sure people will get used to it after a while (although a very long while)

Edit: I think Beamy Kitty has a valid point there

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Luigi on 11-01-2005 at 10:25 PM

I don't like very much the new name, but it's not important.
I hope it will have some good improvements, such as the offline messenger (that I hope will come from the union with yahoo! messenger).

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by jren207 on 11-01-2005 at 10:58 PM

Mail beta has changed to Windows Live Mail Beta now :S

Dodgy rebranding...

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-01-2005 at 11:18 PM

Windows Live Messenger Feature List at: http://ideas.live.com, my MSN Space (link to my MSN Space is in my signature) or http://mess.be

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by goku262002 on 11-02-2005 at 12:05 AM

wait since MSN is dying whats MSN plus called now? WLM PLUS!?

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by kierant on 11-02-2005 at 12:12 AM

It's not 'MSN' Plus anyway so it's irrelevent. It's Messenger 'Plus' and seeing as the new name for MSN still has the word Messenger in it I don't see any reason for change.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by thc2010 on 11-02-2005 at 12:13 AM

It wont be MSN anymore (Microsoft Networks) it'll be MSL (Microsoft Live) lol ... MSL hahaha sounds retarded ~ I can see the future now.. "Hey b, i'll talk to u on MSL when I get home"

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-02-2005 at 12:52 AM

i personally think the name sucks, , i dont think i'll be using it somehow

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by kierant on 11-02-2005 at 12:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
i personally think the name sucks, , i dont think i'll be using it somehow

So what are you saying? Currently you use MSN Messenger because it has a cool name? Not using something because of it's name is a bit premature surely...Why not wait til the features are revealed.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-02-2005 at 12:58 AM

i have all i need in ICQ etc, File transfers, i dont need all these sucky sucky "features" like some do

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by kierant on 11-02-2005 at 01:07 AM

Just out of curiosity then, why do you use MSN Messenger, (and have 1500+ posts on a forum relaated to MSN Messenger) when you're content with another IM?

(this isn't a dig at you - I'm just confused)*-)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-02-2005 at 01:12 AM

why, most my contacts use MSN/Windows Messenger,  i do not use MSN Messenger for its features , only File sending .  i do use Plus,  just not all of its features,

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by mwe99 on 11-02-2005 at 01:17 AM

anyone seen the new udate of Windows Live Mail? lol (hotmail)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by TheOtherSide on 11-02-2005 at 01:26 AM

Some real (!) screens of Windows Live Messenger can be found on Overdo's MSN Space.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by kierant on 11-02-2005 at 01:29 AM

quote:
why, most my contacts use MSN/Windows Messenger,  i do not use MSN Messenger for its features , only File sending .  i do use Plus,  just not all of its features,

Ok fine, but this still doesn't answer why you won't be using the new MSN just because of its name? Just seems a bit naive that's all.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-02-2005 at 01:35 AM

as i said, its a sucky sucky name,  an i thought AIM TRITON sucked, , . ok, i just saw the screenies, now i can say, YUKK,, http://ideas.live.com./ more listed features WLM will have http://ideas.live.com./programpage.aspx?versionId...-8e60-c6313f7ebb73

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-02-2005 at 02:01 AM

looks very cool i think :D

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by leito on 11-02-2005 at 02:06 AM

Yes those pictures looks good! And I like the name... we will get used to it.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-02-2005 at 02:12 AM

Free PC 2 PC Calls already Exist in ICQ, , i just wonder how many of those new features you'll have to Pay for though,  time will tell how many stay with WLM or Move to another IM such as ICQ an or AIM

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by MC Inferno on 11-02-2005 at 02:14 AM

looks a beast, i gotta say

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by albert on 11-02-2005 at 03:03 AM

Some screenshots posted on Mess.be :

SOURCE : http://www.mess.be

Contact List :
[Image: WLM4.jpg]

[Image: WLM2.jpg]

[Image: WLM3.jpg]

[Image: WLM1.jpg]

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by thc2010 on 11-02-2005 at 03:18 AM

lol for some reson I liked the concept design better... but thats just me, what do you guys think?

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by albert on 11-02-2005 at 03:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thc2010
what do you guys think?

I think this is a "mac ed" version of messenger.. *dodgy..

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by thc2010 on 11-02-2005 at 03:40 AM

I think it looks like a cross bread of Yahoo messenger and MSN messenger if you ask me.. and since MSN and Yahoo **i think** are joining hands in the IM road, this would make plenty of sence to why it looks so retardedly ugleh!

I hope people make a skin concept for this version ASAP... cuz im not installing and replacing my 7.5 if it looks that butt ugly. Infact, im waiting till someone makes a skin for it if it looks that horable.

Its like the sun.. you stare at it for too long, your gona go blind, stare at it for a sec, your eyes are gona hurt.. this is what i feal of this **aperantly** new design for msn messenger

seriusly though? what happened MS? did your concept designer die, get fired or replaced? this looks way difrent, wouldnt be suprised if the screenshot was a fake/spoofed with photoshop.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-02-2005 at 03:57 AM

i really  dont like the concept of it at all, GUI looks ugly,

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-02-2005 at 05:34 AM

i wonder wat yahoo IM its gonna look like, i like the interface they also said its gonna be skinable so may be u can have a moon(S) instead of the sun(#). and its not even beta yet may be the final version will look different.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by thc2010 on 11-02-2005 at 05:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
i wonder wat yahoo IM its gonna look like, i like the interface they also said its gonna be skinable so may be u can have a moon(S) instead of the sun(#). and its not even beta yet may be the final version will look different.

got a good point there, lets hope to msn god that ur right.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-02-2005 at 05:49 AM

thanks, and if you look close you can see that not all of the screenshots are from the same computer screenshot 1 and 3 are from the same pc i would say, because look at the background and also user name,  i dont know about 2 and 4,  number 2 u cant really tell because its only IE (no adress bar), and number 4 is another background and more icons. so who knows wat the final product is gonna look like

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by jordanspringer on 11-02-2005 at 05:50 AM

A lot of you just revolted to the fact of the name change and arn't really giving this product a chance. Many of you have only heard about the new name calling it stupid or what not, without fully understanding or researching what Microsoft Live is all about, and how its trying to change your computer experience for the good.

Microsoft Windows Live is basically trying to separate MSN from its services (Hotmail/MSN Messenger), and it's content (MSN, MSNBC). It is also trying to combine all of their services together for ease of use. Now you will no longer have to jump back and forth between Hotmail, Messenger, etc... They will all be working basically together.

If you are unfamiliar with corporations and how they do business... well you create a great product, stick with if for some period of time, but as a corporation you're always improving, growing, and expanding. Basically with the launch of the "live"  is possibly bringing on many greater possibilites to these services.

There will even be a Microsoft Office Live which integrates your Messenger and Hotmail together.  With the new Microsoft Live Mail, (hotmail) it is more of a "Outlook" based mail client. When email messages are opened they are opened separate windows, and your inbox will refresh automatically.  The new messenger, Windows Live Messenger, adds many other features and improvments.

Yes it is a HUGE adjustment, everything that is a part of our everyday life will be changing! But hey it had to change for it to be what it is now and we love it. Microsoft knows what they are doing, this should be a big year for the company, with the release of Live, and the release of their most awaited next generation operating system, Vista.

There will be a new website, www.live.com, and this site is actually similar to www.msn.com, but will not be taking over that site. www.live.com is basically your hub to everything live related. You can use many of the Live programs and services. Check it out today, the beta is actually running, and www.live.com is a working site.

So as always and as with everything, out with the old and in with the new, goodbye MSN butterfly, and the cool little MSN Green Buddy guy, in 2006, i'll be chattin with you all on MSL:P

Jordan

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-02-2005 at 05:59 AM

:bow:   :dodgyomar:   very nice all you said just makes me wanna use it,  i just wish i was a betat tesster :P but they know wat they are doing by taking such a big change, and i am more than sure that it is for the good and better future (Y) MSL <---i like that

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-02-2005 at 06:10 AM

My Question is, People that Use other email addresses such as gmail.com or something else, will you be able to use this in WLM or be forced to sign up for Windows Live Mail to use this messenger?

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by lordy on 11-02-2005 at 06:14 AM

it would still use the .NET passport thing i would think

i dont think they would force people to sign up with a new email address just to use this if they already use MSN with a different one

i personally like the new name, i dont use the program for the name OR for the GUI, but for what the program does. look doesnt matter

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-02-2005 at 06:15 AM

i dont think they cant just wipe off the accounts that registered at .Net passport.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Th3rmal on 11-02-2005 at 06:54 AM

:dodgy: everyones bagging the name but its just a name, it not like they've totally changed most every feature and built it from scratch, you can call it watever u want. (im not meaning offence to anyone) but i dont particularly like the orange and gray colour scheme but will definately use it:)

thx for all the links:)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by jordanspringer on 11-02-2005 at 07:16 AM

Everybody you shouldnt have to worry at all about anything. Microsoft is basically just going through a metamorphosis. They are rebranding to MSN and Windows Live.  Everything will stay the same. You will download the "latest update", next thing you know you will be signing in with all your same information, and can talk and do everything you could before on MSN Messenger, just like normal, plus a little extra new features. So right now you're probably thinking this just seems like a name change to me! But really what it is is much more than a name change. Microsoft is just making this transition to Live very smooth so it doesnt inturrpt anything, basically us noticing it as a simple "name change".

There is a site that I recommend you read, its been posted before, but if anyone is interested in this type of information, visit the site: http://spaces.msn.com/members/MessengerSays/.

As well, Hotmail will be called Windows Live Mail as we already know, and its entire graphical user interface will be changing, with many new improvements.
Right now the www.live.com site you can preview it and full around with your start page. You can add panels such as your mail one, weather information, movie info etc... and move the panels around just like you can on www.msn.com. However when you do click on an email message in your mail panel, you will be directed to hotmail and not windows live mail, basically because it is in developing stages right now.

But yes there were some really good questions. I find it will be odd, but it seems that the "@hotmail.com" portion of our email address will not change. If this is so, we'd all be "antiques" and "rare" in a few years:P, However I am unsure if you were to sign up for a windows live mail account, lets say in a year from now, would youstill receive a "@hotmail.com", or "@msn.com" address, i'm thinking no, and if so what would it be?

And as for .NET, will that change? Who knows... all the account information will not be like cleared, and we will not be forced to sign up for anything else or have to barely lift a finger.

This whole transtion thing should be a smooth process, however that is if all things go according to plan. Microsoft has been known for its little mistakes, hopefully they pull it off without any problems they deserve it.

Oh one other thing about the new Live.com site. In my personal opinion and what i believe, if any of you are looking at it thinking "wow this looks really formal, neat, clean, smart". Because yes! it looks very professional. The Live team is focued on a simple clean almost "fresh" look. Simplicity infact is key, and is what they've noticed their customers have asked for. They are doing this for their users entirely. However the formality and simplicity of the site i believe is just for the beta process, so don't go thinkin its gonna be so plain. Afterall its a work in progress, they will focus on site design details once the real work and developing process is near completion.

edit...
forgot to mention, about the new name abbreviation, I am really curious to what it will be. MSL sounds good, standing for Microsoft Live. I'm noticing that WML is also what many people like to call it. I personally prefer MSL for  a few reasons. One, It flows better than WML, saying MSL just ya know is easy to say like MSN, and WML isnt. and Two, If you notice MSN is an abbreviation only for the Service, not the messenger application. If that were the case MSN would be called MSNM. WML would be the name of the application, where as MSL is the abbreviated name of the service, Microsoft Live.

The reason I bring this up is basicallay because this was all introduced yesterday. The nickname MSN was created within days of its arrival, so now is the chance to nickname the great messenger software for probably the next 6 years or more. WML or MSL? or any other preference? Whatever one people choose to go with use that name often and ya know, it should catch, and spread.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Chestah on 11-02-2005 at 07:20 AM

Interesting! Will we be seeing a Msgplus Live! Patchou? ;)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by J.J on 11-02-2005 at 07:33 AM

Well, it's very interesting. From looking at the screenshots, it looks really nice.

Some people will be annoyed with the change, but you can't please everyone can you :tongue:

btw people, it's just a name!...build a bridge and get over it :P

quote:
My Question is, People that Use other email addresses such as gmail.com or something else, will you be able to use this in WLM or be forced to sign up for Windows Live Mail to use this messenger?

I'm pretty sure that you'll still be able to use your same email accounts. I really doubt that they'll make you sign up with new email accounts.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-02-2005 at 07:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Third Dimension
I'm pretty sure that you'll still be able to use your same email accounts. I really doubt that they'll make you sign up with new email accounts.
time will tell wont it , i think its best not to speculate about this now , we all might get a shock when we findout you'll have to hacwe a windows Live mail account to use it,
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by -rafy- on 11-02-2005 at 09:09 AM

[Image: mess.jpg]

*sigh*

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by DragonX on 11-02-2005 at 09:10 AM

quote:
[Image: mess.jpg]

*sigh*
nice :lol:
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Chestah on 11-02-2005 at 10:17 AM

quote:
time will tell wont it , i think its best not to speculate about this now , we all might get a shock when we findout you'll have to hacwe a windows Live mail account to use it,

I am 100% sure that will NOT happen. Theres no way Microsoft would do that, you'll still be signing in using the .net passport system.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by -rafy- on 11-02-2005 at 10:19 AM

Quote=animal ;)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-02-2005 at 10:28 AM

seems to be a quoting Bug in these forums i htink

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-02-2005 at 01:43 PM

Looks as if those orange GUI ones were infact real. The screenshots do look nice, although it'll take a bit of getting used to the new orange look.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by lordy on 11-02-2005 at 02:00 PM

quote:
seems to be a quoting Bug in these forums i htink

i get it too... sometimes if u click on a post, and then click the quote button on someone elses post then it psots wrong (something for the admins to look into)
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Rodney on 11-02-2005 at 03:02 PM

Fits in nicely with the upcoming Xbox Live integration of course...

And how about just referring to it as "Live"? It's even shorter than "MSN" and sounds ok I guess.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by rix on 11-02-2005 at 04:14 PM

Damn, not a great news at all...just like naming Longhorn to Vista, they decided to change it to Windows Live Messenger? God, that sucks awfully. :S

People on old computers, bye-bye! Atleast the GUI is quite bearable.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by -rafy- on 11-02-2005 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rodney
Fits in nicely with the upcoming Xbox Live integration of course...

And how about just referring to it as "Live"? It's even shorter than "MSN" and sounds ok I guess.

Shorter?

MSN.
LIVE.

Hmmm
RE: RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Rodney on 11-02-2005 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Shorter?

MSN.
LIVE.

Hmmm

EDIT: Just looked up the word, MSN has more syllables when pronouncing it :P
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Eljay on 11-02-2005 at 04:24 PM

when pronouncing it "win-dows live" is the same length as "M-S-N" :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by -rafy- on 11-02-2005 at 04:28 PM

but who says it out loud on the internet? :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by John Anderton on 11-02-2005 at 04:30 PM

The name sux ..... the end ...

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Eljay on 11-02-2005 at 04:31 PM

quote:

people with mics :P
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by John Anderton on 11-02-2005 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
quote:

people with mics :P
Msn 8.0 > Windows Live Messenger

What were they thinking ?? :-/ MS sux at naming stuff. Anyways what are the new features (Sorry i cant be bothered to read all 8 pages .... small pm link ?? :P (A))
RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-02-2005 at 05:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
what are the new features (Sorry i cant be bothered to read all 8 pages .... small pm link ?? :P (A))

Check out my MSN Space (link is in my sig), and look at posts about WLM (Windows Media Live) and MSN Messenger, there's alot in there about new features.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-02-2005 at 06:27 PM

cant we stop complaning about the name, is just a name. use it because of wat it does not because of the name.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by absorbation on 11-02-2005 at 06:33 PM

quote:
cant we stop complaning about the name, is just a name. use it because of wat it does not because of the name.

never think about changing Messengeer Plus it's not an addon for Msn Messenger etc.

all the messenger websites too :P
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by -rafy- on 11-02-2005 at 06:51 PM

I for one am not complaining about the name. (Abeit i do hate it) Merely making observations about the consequenses of such a change.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Yousef on 11-02-2005 at 07:21 PM

I don't really like the new name actually. There are many verbs created out of the term 'msn' in holland, this will turn out quite interesting I guess :p

I also wrote an article on WLM, here. Suggestions are welcome ;)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by -rafy- on 11-02-2005 at 07:30 PM

msn has become a word in itself in the countires where msn messenger dominates. It has imbeded intself into the lexicon and into everyday conversation.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-02-2005 at 08:17 PM

New Features and screenshots here

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by albert on 11-02-2005 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Salem
New Features and screenshots here

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".
RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-02-2005 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

Sorry please try again: http://spaces.msn.com/members/rileym (Spaces does appear to be encountering errors recently)
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by albert on 11-02-2005 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Sorry please try again: http://spaces.msn.com/members/rileym (Spaces does appear to be encountering errors recently)

this is pretty good, im bookmarking it :) im guessing ur an official beta tester for many products?
RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-02-2005 at 09:18 PM

quote:
quote:

this is pretty good, im bookmarking it :) im guessing ur an official beta tester for many products?

Yes i am a MSN Messenger Beta tester. Am now just waiting for the Windows Live Messenger Beta to begin. Once it does i will update my Space more regularly with news:)

Salem
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by cardshark on 11-03-2005 at 04:47 AM

Well, it seems they will be implimenting many of the features most of us use through Plus! or a plugin. I'm just curious: in the screenshots of the options pane, I don't see the "Tabs" set anywhere. Will there still be tabs? If so, will we be able to edit them and how? Something to think about. It looks pretty good to me so far. I'm just glad that we can change the color scheme from the orange...

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-03-2005 at 05:12 AM

as RebelSean said Beta Testers already have it  or some anyway

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Yes guys, the screenshots that were leaked a few days/a week ago were indeed real (At least, the ones I looked at). This is INDEED MSN Messenger 8.0 BETA/Windows Live Messenger. It's not fake, and it is out to beta testers already. Released earlier this morning.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Crobat on 11-03-2005 at 09:37 AM

Hey guys i know it is illegal to post leaked stuff but you see im not posting links :D

if you really want to sign in using msn 8.0 PM me :)

quote:
Well, it seems they will be implimenting many of the features most of us use through Plus! or a plugin. I'm just curious: in the screenshots of the options pane, I don't see the "Tabs" set anywhere. Will there still be tabs? If so, will we be able to edit them and how? Something to think about. It looks pretty good to me so far. I'm just glad that we can change the color scheme from the orange...

the tabs still exist but they are like outside of messenger, they look like an option bar with rectangular sides
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-03-2005 at 09:44 AM

i think i know what you mean with the tabs.. its a bit like ICQ 5 an its Extraz Tabs . you can Hide them an open them whenever you need to

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Crobat on 11-03-2005 at 10:03 AM

exactly but i dont really know if you can open and close them...

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-03-2005 at 10:06 AM

time will tell , but im starting to like the current design of it,,

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Andylongi on 11-03-2005 at 10:33 AM

I hope it will come out very soon. the new features look really fantastic for me, and i have no problem with the new Name!

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Discrate on 11-03-2005 at 10:57 AM

has beta testing started?

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-03-2005 at 11:24 AM

dunno for sure, untill there are official reports that it has gone into testing,, it is to believed to be in testing this month sometime

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by mwe99 on 11-03-2005 at 12:14 PM

it has been leaked with a patch to make it work but ideas live site says its still "coming soon"  so it may (have) released in small groups or something

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-03-2005 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joelm
has beta testing started?

As far as i am aware testing has not started yet.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by thc2010 on 11-03-2005 at 01:39 PM

awsome! i got mine validation already :D
now all I need are some invites for people I know

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-03-2005 at 02:16 PM

quote:
awsome! i got mine validation already :D
now all I need are some invites for people I know

You got an acceptance e-mail from MS?
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by hmaster on 11-03-2005 at 02:55 PM

[Image: x1pxzZ39wV--_dgkV41gIm0cBBgkiDpZ5pddn8z4...HZlXA-ncMI]
Custom Nicknames! One of Plus!'s features...

http://spaces.msn.com/members/overdo/

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by John Anderton on 11-03-2005 at 04:09 PM

If no one minds me saying ..... it is my personaly opinion that the new messenger sucks .... cause the presentation is ....... aweful tbh.

The orange colour .... what were they thinking ..... but the main problem is the way they group all contacts and everything .... i personally dont like it dunno about you :)

I have never had a problem with a messenger version tbh (as far as disliking goes) I loved the whole msn 7 series as there were so much new stuff that was good ..... But they just tried to over do it in v8 and it looks goddy tbh ...

(N) is my vote ....

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by cardshark on 11-03-2005 at 04:35 PM

Crobat, thanks for the info on the tabs.

John, according to some of the screenshots that were released, you can change the color scheme to pretty much whatever you want. That was just the color they were using in the demo. What do you mean about how they group contacts? From what I've seen in some of the screenshots, you can make your own contact groups and sort by that.

Hmaster, I was saying the same thing. They do seem to be implimenting many of the features that Plus! already gives. Maybe that's why Patchou was invited to Redmond? :-p Think he will get credit or anything for the features?

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by hmaster on 11-03-2005 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
If no one minds me saying ..... it is my personaly opinion that the new messenger sucks .... cause the presentation is ....... aweful tbh.

The orange colour .... what were they thinking ..... but the main problem is the way they group all contacts and everything .... i personally dont like it dunno about you :)

I have never had a problem with a messenger version tbh (as far as disliking goes) I loved the whole msn 7 series as there were so much new stuff that was good ..... But they just tried to over do it in v8 and it looks goddy tbh ...

(N) is my vote ....
100% agreed.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by absorbation on 11-03-2005 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cardshark
Crobat, thanks for the info on the tabs.

John, according to some of the screenshots that were released, you can change the color scheme to pretty much whatever you want. That was just the color they were using in the demo. What do you mean about how they group contacts? From what I've seen in some of the screenshots, you can make your own contact groups and sort by that.

Hmaster, I was saying the same thing. They do seem to be implimenting many of the features that Plus! already gives. Maybe that's why Patchou was invited to Redmond? :-p Think he will get credit or anything for the features?

i thought the remond trip would convice msn not to add these features :P

meh the ornage is gone btw and they changed to black which looks awsome :)
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by lordy on 11-03-2005 at 08:54 PM

you can change the orange to whatever colour you want to!! its just like the colouring of the contact windows

what it dont like is the extraordinarily large sedna dn search buttons, they're quite ugly

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Jimcando on 11-03-2005 at 09:06 PM

I think as soon as I can take a mess patch to it, and clear it up a bit, it might be able to look respectable.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Th3rmal on 11-03-2005 at 09:09 PM

it didnt work for me the first time but it did the second time, but its downloading so s l o w l y...

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hüstich on 11-03-2005 at 09:11 PM

It works now, thanks to all that tried :)

EDIT: Well, i still cant download it, it got stuck on 3%... I think there are server problems...

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by steVenB on 11-03-2005 at 09:14 PM

I downloaded it and used it for a bit but I found the text is huge. Your contact list explodes in size. Aswell as there is no icon to distingush which contacts are busy or away.

A funny thing that did occur was that an old group that I use to have on my contact list reappeared with WML but since I switched back to 7.5 that group has disappeared. Not that I care but I found it strange.

Overall, Im not that impressed. Hopefully they change it up...a lot.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by albert on 11-03-2005 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hüstich
Mess.be posted a link on where to download Windows Live Messenger 8 . The link is : LINK TAKEN OFF
the problem is that it doesent work for me :'(, does it work for anyone else?

And if it does work, can someone download it and attach it here? :) Thanks

Putting a illegal beta link is actully not permitted on these forums, plz delete ur post or edit it, and take a look at the rules here : http//shoutbox.menthix.net/rules.html
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hüstich on 11-03-2005 at 09:21 PM

Oh, sorry for that, i've edited my post, the link is gone. But you have to edit your quote for the link to dissapear

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by _Humphreys on 11-03-2005 at 09:53 PM

Looks like an overly stupid bloatware. If they have a simpler version i'll use that.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by albert on 11-03-2005 at 10:11 PM

it's too hard to find ur damn contacts.. I mean the design isn't bad if there's 5 persons online but gosh when I got 52, it's rlly not good at all !

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-03-2005 at 10:14 PM

oh people if dont like it stop using it, is not even official beta yet

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by -rafy- on 11-03-2005 at 11:39 PM

quote:
When do I get to play?
Posted by Paul.

We’ve been busy reading all the comments in the blog so far, and one of the most common comments we’ve seen so far is “Can I get a copy of the beta?” We’re working hard to do just that right now. We want you to have Windows Live Messenger as much as we do!

We’ve still got some things to do before we release it to the world. In the meantime, I’d like to explain how the process is going to work:

* Right now, we (the team making Windows Live Messenger) are pretty much the only ones running WLM. We’re still busy finding bugs, fixing them, and making everything work better for you.
    * When we’re ready, we’ll release an early beta version to a limited set of users (they used to be called our “butterflies” – I guess we need a new name!) These folks will take the time to play with an early version, report bugs, and tell us what they think about it before it’s already in the hands of millions of users.
    * Since it’s no fun testing new features when you don’t have any friends to test them with, our initial butterflies (We still need a new name!) will get to invite a few friends to play with the new version with them.
    * Over time, people will get more invitations, until one day, there’s no need – everyone can download it and play with it.

Now, everyone’s going to ask me “Where can I get an invite, or get on the list for an invite?” I’m the purveyor of bad news – you can’t yet. But, we promise to let you know as soon as we’re ready! In the meantime, you might want to find a butterfly (I’ll still miss the name!) and befriend them, because you’ll want to be on their short list when they get to choose who to invite to play with them!

WARNING: Finally, some of you may be so excited to use Windows Live Messenger that you’re tempted to try out a “hacked” version. Please don’t use it or link to it here – an unsupported alteration of our code can cause unpredictable behavior – including but not limited to exposing yourself to malware, spyware, viruses, or other software harmful to your computer.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by RebelSean on 11-04-2005 at 03:06 AM

quote:
Mess.be posted a link on where to download Windows Live Messenger 8.

What part of, do not hint were to get it don't you understand? People, this is a ALPHA that has been leaked off the MS servers by mistake. Sure, there may be a hack out there. But it is not recommended to use it because it could do damage. Remember, when things are in BETA they still have alot of bugs. Hell, this isn't even in BETA yet (According to some..), it's still in Alpha stage. MSN has things yet to come, I assure yall. What was it that Leah had said before, "You aint seen nothing yet" :D.

My advice, don't use it unless you are a beta tester.

OH AND BY THE WAY. For those of you who WANT to test Windows Messenger Live, CLICK HERE. You'll be taken to a Sign-In page were you will then receive a confirmation. You'll then be placed on the waiting list :).

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Curtis on 11-04-2005 at 05:37 AM

I hop that when it comes out someone will make a classic msn messenger skin for it.  That would be so awesome.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hüstich on 11-04-2005 at 08:36 AM

quote:
quote:
Mess.be posted a link on where to download Windows Live Messenger 8.

What part of, do not hint were to get it don't you understand? People, this is a ALPHA that has been leaked off the MS servers by mistake. Sure, there may be a hack out there. But it is not recommended to use it because it could do damage. Remember, when things are in BETA they still have alot of bugs. Hell, this isn't even in BETA yet (According to some..), it's still in Alpha stage. MSN has things yet to come, I assure yall. What was it that Leah had said before, "You aint seen nothing yet" :D.

My advice, don't use it unless you are a beta tester.

Post deleted, il never do that again :)

quote:
Originally posted by Curtis

I hop that when it comes out someone will make a classic msn messenger skin for it.  That would be so awesome.

Yeah, i agree, and i think MSN should make some official skins for it...
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by find_your_spot on 11-04-2005 at 11:56 AM

I don't like it.
In my eyes it lookes to much Mac..

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by hmaster on 11-04-2005 at 12:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by find_your_spot
I don't like it.
What messenger are you looking at :P

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by find_your_spot on 11-04-2005 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hmaster
quote:
I don't like it.
What messeneg are you looking at :P

i guess Windows Live Messenger 8.0 BETA :|
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-04-2005 at 12:17 PM

it isnt to bad at the moment but im sure there will be a change in it like everything thats new that gets released to beta/alpha ,,

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by hmaster on 11-04-2005 at 12:20 PM

quote:
i guess Windows Live Messenger 8.0 BETA :|
I was being sarcastic meaning it doesnt look nothing like mac :rolleyes:
RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by find_your_spot on 11-04-2005 at 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hmaster

I was being sarcastic meaning it doesnt look nothing like mac :rolleyes:

yeaah your right... maybe i should put my eye contacts in 8-|
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by hmaster on 11-04-2005 at 10:22 PM

Ok just looking at the new beta (8.0.0328). In teh conversation window the search button changes to a darker version of the top section that you set. Orange by default.
[Image: wlmc2un.th.jpg]

They seem to have fixed the hide/show topbar icon too

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by stephen_wq on 11-04-2005 at 11:38 PM

I was giving advice to someone on a forum who wanted to play games at their school, because they were blocked, and pointed them to a proxy site.
It just so happened that this certain site(wont mention the name) offered Windows Live Messenger 8 BETA with the version 8.0.0.029. I dont want to download it, because i think its illegal, and its probably a virus.
Am i right? even if i am not, i dont want to download it because i am not the kind of person that uses illegal software (i have 16+ war based games all legal)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Kryptonate on 11-04-2005 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_wq
I was giving advice to someone on a forum who wanted to play games at their school, because they were blocked, and pointed them to a proxy site.
It just so happened that this certain site(wont mention the name) offered Windows Live Messenger 8 BETA with the version 8.0.0.029. I dont want to download it, because i think its illegal, and its probably a virus.
Am i right? even if i am not, i dont want to download it because i am not the kind of person that uses illegal software (i have 16+ war based games all legal)
At the moment it's indeed so that there's a possibility of finding a copy of WL Messenger 8 beta with altered code. And so giving other persons the opportunity of getting into your system.

There is a leaked version of WL Messenger 8 beta and it is illegal to use it unless you are an official beta tester.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Curtis on 11-05-2005 at 12:32 AM

I found it somewhere (Won't tell.)  But anyways, you need to get a patch or something that opens the servers allowing you to log in.  It looks pretty cool in my opinion.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by leito on 11-05-2005 at 01:19 AM

It's not a big secret were to find it, popular Messenger sites have it! ... Its kinda a big change and difficult to get used to id.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-05-2005 at 01:39 AM

im still rather skeptical about it, there is always Choice in Other Messengers you can use,

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by beaugiles on 11-05-2005 at 02:52 AM

check out ideas.live.com. its worth a look, and they are rebranding hotmail too. so msn is just going to be for news

the official microsoft link is unsecured, but blick everyone but beta testers from signing in, unless u patch it.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by lordy on 11-05-2005 at 03:02 AM

yes... we r well aware

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Lou on 11-05-2005 at 04:07 AM

if you want some screenshots click here

no I am not trying to advertise, and no I will not realease any way of getting into this version and no I will not tell you where to download this version. I got it just for screenshot purposes and added louhabs.com for the simple reason that I didnt want people stealing my screenshots without linking back!

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-05-2005 at 06:08 AM

from the live messenger blog.

''Since it’s no fun testing new features when you don’t have any friends to test them with, our initial butterflies (We still need a new name!) will get to invite a few friends to play with the new version with them.
Over time, people will get more invitations, until one day, there’s no need – everyone can download it and play with it. ''

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-05-2005 at 06:11 AM

its good there doing thism kinda testing. opening it up more to the public to smooth the Bugs out,

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-05-2005 at 06:12 AM

but its only good if you know a beta tester, i dont :(

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by dylan! on 11-05-2005 at 06:15 AM

quote:
but its only good if you know a beta tester, i dont :(

thats the legal way....but not everyone does everything legal;)
but i dont:P...im sticking with 7.5. live is to ugly and to full of ads and i just dislkike it alot
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-05-2005 at 06:16 AM

true it is, but its still better than there previous testing methods,  ICQ/AIM have a Piublic testing for a limmited number then sto[p people from downloading anymore untiill the final release comes out, but this move is in the right direction

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by cardshark on 11-05-2005 at 06:34 AM

To anyone testing the new beta, is it possible to run it alongside 7.5 or does it install itself over an older version? Personally I would like to continue using 7.5 for many of its features and addons available, and still be able to test the beta if I have the chance, since I have an extra screen name that I use for Messenger.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-05-2005 at 06:38 AM

it automatically install over, well if you are a beta tester i think all they want u to do is test that particular one, because the other one might interfered with it. but you are able to have both if you want.

[Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by Max on 11-05-2005 at 12:00 PM

Sign In Window.
Contact Window.
Conversation Window.
About Window

Click on the names above to see said screenshot of the latest Windows Live Messenger Build - 8.0.0328.

-- Max

RE: [Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by user27089 on 11-05-2005 at 12:01 PM

I still really don't like the user interface of the entire thing...

RE: [Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by absorbation on 11-05-2005 at 12:04 PM

Yes i just got this news the name is now officaly Windows Messenger Live :P

RE: [Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by Yousef on 11-05-2005 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation

Yes i just got this news the name is now officaly Windows Messenger Live

Windows Live Messenger, you mean ;)
RE: [Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by absorbation on 11-05-2005 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Juzzi

Windows Live Messenger, you mean

omg i have been calling it the wrong thing :lol:

Does it install in a different directory?
RE: [Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by Max on 11-05-2005 at 12:18 PM

The current betas still install to the C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger directory.

RE: [Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by lordy on 11-05-2005 at 12:23 PM

this looks much better than the previous one, well done microsoft

RE: [Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by J.J on 11-05-2005 at 12:25 PM

The icons look better (y), but they still have a looooong way to go imo.

* TD hopes they change the paint bucket icon

RE: [Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by John Anderton on 11-05-2005 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
this looks much better than the previous one, well done microsoft
:| You must be kidding me :|
I thought you meant the old ones

Yeah the new one does look better than the old one ..... the old one was the worst i have ever seen ..... :-/

And btw .... this was there in today's newspaper :D

yay our newspapers are becoming l33t (A) :D
RE: [Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by Chestah on 11-05-2005 at 12:27 PM

it looks good :), hopefully it won't be a memory hog when its released :P

RE: RE: [Latest] Windows Live Messenger Screenshots by Hank on 11-05-2005 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
it looks good :), hopefully it won't be a memory hog when its released :P

get a Faster Cpu & More ram Chest

.i still dont like the ugly UI or the GUI of it, but there changing it all the time
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Tochjo on 11-05-2005 at 01:49 PM

Threads merged; please keep all Windows Live Messenger related discussion in one place :)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 11-05-2005 at 01:56 PM

You forgot the new pop-up window when someone signs in. It looks cooler now. It says windows live  at the bottom, messenger at the top..

Screenshot ---> http://x11.putfile.com/11/30807543120.jpg

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 02:55 PM

WARNING: WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER 8 DOWNGRADER = PASSWORD STEALER

quote:
Freely quoted from Messenger-Blog
Watch out!

Recently Paul predicted on the MessengerSays-blog that the numerous proxies and patches could well contain malicious virusses. He was right

quote:
Originally posted by Paul
WARNING: Finally, some of you may be so excited to use Windows Live Messenger that you’re tempted to try out a “hacked” version. Please don’t use it or link to it here – an unsupported alteration of our code can cause unpredictable behavior – including but not limited to exposing yourself to malware, spyware, viruses, or other software harmful to your computer.

...and I’m ashamed to say it got spread trough my servers.

I just got warned by a friend that someone named cumhurat was spreading a link to <link removed>, supposedly being the “MSNP13 Downgrader”.

This file was NOT uploaded by me, but by the same guy that hacked Web2Messenger earlier this year. Please do NOT run it.

Please be very very careful!

UPDATE 1
Apparently the file records the passwords you sign in with on messenger, and uploads them to an FTP server at “sifreavcisi.com”.

I’m not quite sure how it launches itself, but just to be on the safe side I advise everyone who thinks he might’ve ran it to add the following line to their C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file (You can open it with notepad): 127.0.0.1 sifreavcisi.com
This will redirect all calls to that host to your local computer, and will thus prevent the virus from ever contacting their home.

I also recommend that everyone changes his or her password, as there is a very high chance that it has already been sent there…

-TB
The above is a warning for a particular downgrader; thus not the real downgrader.

------------------------

ANOTHER REASON WHY PEOPLE SHOULDN'T USE PRIVATE BETA'S

quote:
Freely quoted from a letter from Microsoft

The Windows Live Messenger version 8 is still not even a beta and thus can contain code which could harm your computer. This goes also for all private beta's.

Any leaks that come out of this program will jeopardize any plans to do programs and/or providing services to beta-testers like this in the future.
In other words, the more it is leaked, to less chance that stuff like public beta's will be released! Leakers and also those who download/use leaked stuff illegally actually damage the whole concept and private programs which make developping the products you love so much possible...
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 11-05-2005 at 03:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

ANOTHER REASON WHY PEOPLE SHOULDN'T USE PRIVATE BETA'S

In other words, the more it is leaked, to less chances are stuff like public beta's will be released! Leakers and also those who download/use leaked stuff actually damage the whole concept and private programs which make developping the products you love so much possible...

:( , well... this is the last leak i will dl ... i always sign up for beta tester but i never get the 'welcome' email, and i've signed up since 7.0 betas...
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by RebelSean on 11-05-2005 at 04:20 PM

quote:

In other words, the more it is leaked, to less chance that stuff like public beta's will be released! Leakers and also those who download/use leaked stuff illegally actually damage the whole concept and private programs which make developping the products you love so much possible...

Was it not found on Microsoft's servers? If so, how is it anyone's fault but there own?

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Was it not found on Microsoft's servers? If so, how is it anyone's fault but there own?
You don't accidently stumble across something like that and accidently "find" it; people who have access (beta-testers) leak it...

Even if it was "accidently found", you keep it private...

Even if this particular build was put on a public ms server address and somebody accidently found it, don't tell me that everything that is leaked is "accidently found". Leaking can happen once, but what is happening with messenger atm (for a long time already) is not accidently finding something and/or accidently letting it leak, it is made into a sport apparently. A sport which greatly harm the legit users of those beta's and greatly harms the actuall testing.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by thc2010 on 11-05-2005 at 05:00 PM

so if we got tthe patch from msnshit.com were safe? but if we got it from some other website then its a fake?

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Kryptonate on 11-05-2005 at 05:06 PM

why would that site be safe? They could have gotten the patch from anywhere. Including the place were this patch was placed.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by thc2010 on 11-05-2005 at 05:20 PM

Ive checked my:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file
and I didnt find:
127.0.0.1 sifreavcisi.com

does this meen im safe or is that half of the story?
ie: did they embed anything else anywhere...

<me complaining>
fkn script kidies! what do they plan on accomplishing on getting some random guys password and why the hell would they do it? So many hardcore geeks out there ^o)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Kryptonate on 11-05-2005 at 05:24 PM

quote:
Ive checked my:
and I didnt find:
127.0.0.1 sifreavcisi.com

does this meen im safe or is that half of the story?
ie: did they embed anything else anywhere...
no, the message says to place that line in youir hosts file so that your computer won't try to contact that site.
RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Ive checked my:
and I didnt find it. Does this meen im safe or is that half of the story?
You wound't find it because you have to put it there as you clearly can read in the quote.

If it isn't there you're not safe. If you put it there you may be safe from this particular trojan but nobody garantuees anything, especially for other stuff.

But this also shows that you don't know what you're dealing with or whatever (though, no pun intended). In other words: do not use any beta at all, and certainly not a pre-beta as WLM 8; there is absolutely no reason why you should use it. Let the people who know what they're doing and are official testers handle it.

In fact, with the little knowledge you have (again, no pun intedend) you will never be safe at all as using any beta (and certainly pre-beta's) requires at least the knowledge of what you're doing and knowledge to fix errors or identify other stuff which can happen...

You will only harm yourself (aka: your computer).

MS also gives an explicit warning to those who officialy are invited to test this pre-beta. In short they warn that this software isn't even beta and will/can contain errors which may corrupt or damage your data. eg: it wouldn't be surprising if there was a bug which leads to corrupting/deleting all your chat logs, etc... And this goes even for normal beta's too, so...
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by steVenB on 11-05-2005 at 06:03 PM

Thanks for posting that info CookieRevised. I did use WLM for a day but I didn't like it too much and when back to 7.5.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Curtis on 11-05-2005 at 09:58 PM

My sister was having trouble signing in with 8.0 so I went back to 7.5.  I hope to god I'm safe.  I'm doing a virus scan now.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-05-2005 at 10:27 PM

Well...i do not really like using leaked Alpha version (which is what the leaked versions of WLM are at the moment), because of how early they are in development. But when it comes to hacked, modified application, i deffinately disagree using them. For the sheer reason that the modifications may be unsafe. And this just proves that there is "method to my madness"

So yes, i recommend you don't use any version of Windows Live Messenger unless you are an OFFICIAL Beta tester.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by thc2010 on 11-05-2005 at 11:07 PM

lol that was the leaked alpha version? well the leaked alpha version didnt work for me anyways (i got an error about the server allready in use) then i used the Actualy Beta version where it actualy says "Windows Messenger Live" (with a win vista logo) http://streamline.cankoo.com/cgi-bin//emAlbum.cgi...%20Live&img=0&tn=1

I used wmlpatch1.1 is that the patch that has the pasword thief?

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-05-2005 at 11:56 PM

are u a beta tester?, i think it looks really nice, i cant wait to get my hands on it :D

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-06-2005 at 02:21 AM

IMO, serves people Right for downloading a leaked unporotected copy that may contain Viruses etc,,

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Discrate on 11-06-2005 at 02:48 AM

quote:
IMO, serves people Right for downloading a leaked unporotected copy that may contain Viruses etc,,

i agree with animal. Everyone should just wait to either msn posts the beta on there site like they did with 7.0 or wait to they have released the full version on there site. Dont download it from anywhere else.

1. you will probably get virues.
2. they might nto work.
3. you might get spy-ware and adware.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by guanako on 11-06-2005 at 06:45 AM

you better have one of this, who does? i'll be your family :D
[Image: x1pxzZ39wV--_dgkV41gIm0cFZuWlITNi6NE0R-l...9Di4PDfxNw]

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-06-2005 at 07:01 AM

Better hope your best friend has one of these showing soon ;)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 11-06-2005 at 07:36 AM

quote:
Better hope your best friend has one of these showing soon ;)

how did you get that? by the sign up link that we got half a week ago? nomination page or something..?

I saw that in overdo's blog.. But where does it exactly appear.. On MSN 7.5?
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-06-2005 at 07:38 AM

no i dont have it.. its on a Blog.. http://spaces.msn.com/members/overdo/

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 11-06-2005 at 07:41 AM

quote:
no i dont have it.. its on a Blog.. http://spaces.msn.com/members/overdo/
yea, but do you think this will appear on MSN 7.5?

Just being curious... cuz it looks like the yellow info bar on MSN.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-06-2005 at 07:43 AM

who knows, People may put it there i really dont know, or Microsoft may Put it theree who knows whats gonna happen

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by MoRiA on 11-06-2005 at 11:30 AM

quote:
WARNING: WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER 8 DOWNGRADER = PASSWORD STEALER
<<snip>> full post here

I thought you were better than that, Cookie. You purposely removed the parts of the Messenger-blog post that explained that the password stealer and TB's downgrader were entirely separate programs:
quote:
Originally posted by Messenger-blog.com
I just got warned by a friend that someone named “cumhurat” was spreading a link to http://www.stuffplug.com/temp/<<filename>>.exe, supposedly being the “MSNP13 Downgrader”. However the file is only 5kb, while a real MSNP13 Downgrader is over 100kb.
This file was NOT uploaded by me, but by the same guy that hacked Web2Messenger earlier this year.

As such if the downgrader worked and/or was 100+KB then you are safe (unless you also downloaded this again, got the 5KB version and ran that, too, though that's a little bizarre). If you got the 5KB version and it didn't do anything obvious then you probably had the password stealer version instead and need to change your password ASAP.

I understand why you left that part out of your post (at least I think I do), but that doesn't really make you any better than these people who insist on using leaks. All you're doing is making people shit their pants going "ohshitohshitohshit[1] I've had my password stolen!!!" when it's most likely not the case. I, too, would love to see everyone associating using leaked betas with having really bad stuff happen to them, but twisting the facts and being very stingy with the truth is not the way to go about that, IMO.

I suppose it might teach people to check the sources of articles in future, though.. 8-)

[1]Obligatory Discworld quote.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by CookieRevised on 11-06-2005 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MoRiA
I understand why you left that part out of your post (at least I think I do), but that doesn't really make you any better than these people who insist on using leaks. All you're doing is making people shit their pants going "ohshitohshitohshit[1] I've had my password stolen!!!" when it's most likely not the case.
I almost knew this would come up... Anyways,

1) I didn't twist around the thruth at all!!!! There is nothing wrong in my post at all!
2) I left the filename out and all, because those are very BIG hints on how to actually downgrade in the proper way. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figur out how to properly downgrade or where to get it if you read the whole article. And as far as I know such "support" or hints, links, etc are not allowed here.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by MoRiA on 11-06-2005 at 11:59 AM

quote:
I almost knew this would come up...
Shocking that it took 20 hours for it to do so, isn't it? With the amount of people using this forum I expected that someone would have noticed and pointed it out.

You did twist the truth. You left out the fact that the real downgrader and the password stealer were different files with very different filesizes. You then moulded your entire post around the fact that "all downgraders are password stealers" or some such nonsense.

For the record I still don't disagree with your general idea, only the method used to achieve it.

Edit: yes, okay, I've removed the filename from the URL. I still don't think it's a huge problem, but since TB never uses the "temp" directory of stuffplug.com it gives all the information needed. TB would generally upload files to files.stuffplug.com, rather than stuffplug.com/temp/ (which as you can see is empty now the password stealer has been deleted).
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Exca on 11-06-2005 at 01:08 PM

On topic: I hate that name :s Microsoft leaves no doubt what their products are. If they made toilet paper it would be called Butt Wiper. For example internet Explorer isn't a bad name, but it's not original. Same with this one. Windows live messenger... pffft

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by lordy on 11-06-2005 at 08:39 PM

I dont see how this leaves a doubt as to what it is, there is still the Messenger in the name, which is what it is, MSN was only a brand which they have now changed. It's a logical business step to have all these different Microsoft services to carry the name 'windows live' and thus for them all to be linked.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-07-2005 at 10:28 AM

1 of the Features Messenger 8 will have already Exists in AIM, which is File sharing, so still Microsoft are Behind,

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Eddie on 11-07-2005 at 10:56 AM

I think its awesome, i have been using it since its release and i think it is awesome, no real changes apart from Appearance, and you will still probably be able to use MSN Messenger, and MSN isnt goin anywhere only the Messenger service is changing thats all and a names a name and no one can help that, the name has nothing to do with the quality of the actual service :)

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-08-2005 at 12:23 AM

When will the beta start?

I can't give out a firm date yet but it should be sometime next month.
---------------
More Info can be found here @ this Url http://spaces.msn.com/members/overdo/

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by EvilSeph on 11-08-2005 at 12:42 AM

quote:
1 of the Features Messenger 8 will have already Exists in AIM, which is File sharing, so still Microsoft are Behind,

It is what people call keeping up with the competition. Nothing wrong with it.
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-08-2005 at 12:48 AM

thats true,  how long AIM have had that feature i dont know, 

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Curtis on 11-09-2005 at 07:34 AM

File sharing has been in msn for a while actually.  It was in the activities tab.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-09-2005 at 07:55 AM

i dont think thats the same though,

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Knad on 11-09-2005 at 04:17 PM

No its different, in msn8 you can set up folders that people can download from and upload to (providing you select that they can in the options)

/Knad

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-09-2005 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Col.DraGon
yea, but do you think this will appear on MSN 7.5?

Correct, this will only appear for those using Windows Live Messenger 8 Beta. And as far as i know it''l also not appear to those people using it illegally through a patched/hacked version, only to Official tester (ie, MS employees and a select few MVPs)

Also...it looks as if WLM may include integration with Y!M (Yahoo! Messenger). See here
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-09-2005 at 11:57 PM

quote:
Also...it looks as if WLM may include integration with Y!M (Yahoo! Messenger). See here
it will, you'll be able to add 600 Contacts, 300 of them MSN Messenger contacts an 300 yahoo contacts

Most people expect the next version of MSN Messenger will feature support for Yahoo Messenger. Our friend Patchou pointed out that this probably won't be the case:

I found something that definitively eliminates that possibility: on the blog of the French MSN team, they clearly say that this will take place during Summer 2006.

Because the beta test of MSN Messenger 8 is scheduled for next month, this could only mean two things: it will be a long beta that goes on for more then half a year, or this feature will just be added in another version (8.1 anyone?).

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Salem on 11-10-2005 at 02:07 PM

quote:
it will, you'll be able to add 600 Contacts, 300 of them MSN Messenger contacts an 300 yahoo contacts

Most people expect the next version of MSN Messenger will feature support for Yahoo Messenger. Our friend Patchou pointed out that this probably won't be the case:

I found something that definitively eliminates that possibility: on the blog of the French MSN team, they clearly say that this will take place during Summer 2006.

Because the beta test of MSN Messenger 8 is scheduled for next month, this could only mean two things: it will be a long beta that goes on for more then half a year, or this feature will just be added in another version (8.1 anyone?).

Yes we know it will be included in WLM at some point, but i meant that it looks like it could be in WLM 8.0
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-10-2005 at 11:32 PM

quote:

Yes we know it will be included in WLM at some point, but i meant that it looks like it could be in WLM 8.0

Microsoft did Say Month or 2 ago that you can now Add up to 600 Contacts to your Messenger, so it should be in WLM8  automatically to
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by thc2010 on 11-10-2005 at 11:56 PM

600 contacts 0.o who has that many firends lmfao!

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-10-2005 at 11:58 PM

Mot me, .i only have 30 on MSN an 8 in Yaho.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Jflaherty13 on 11-13-2005 at 01:18 PM

I'm on it now. [Edited out by Meeee]

Looks quite good.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-13-2005 at 10:44 PM

are you a beta tester as such?

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger by Brantje on 11-14-2005 at 03:30 PM

quote:
hmm so instead of telling my friends... "I'll talk to you on MSN"

it'll be "ill talk to you on Windows live"

wtf. Everybody calls it just "MSN". CHanging that isnt going to do the brand any favours =/

You can call it WLM :P
RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Caboose on 11-14-2005 at 08:28 PM

Or say "I'll talk to you on Messenger" :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Th3rmal on 11-14-2005 at 11:05 PM

or u can still say msn if u want, if your that addicted to it but after a while wlm will sound normal

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-14-2005 at 11:06 PM

Get used to the name Change IMO, i have, the program itself, aint muich different from MSN Messenger aNYWAY

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Elessar on 11-15-2005 at 09:10 AM

I think that the fact that this new client will be introdcued will create a bridge between MSN and Yahoo users. Closing the gap and allowing people who use only one client to recieve the benefit of two email adresses. Good idea, in short.

RE: Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0) by Hank on 11-15-2005 at 09:14 AM

its a good idea yes, but its not the first idea that any company has had, AOL did it with AIM/ICQ, you can add ya AIM contacts to your ICQ client an i think Vice Vwersa