Shoutbox

Official Msgplus Chat Channel? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? (/showthread.php?tid=52531)

Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by RebelSean on 11-02-2005 at 12:33 PM

Due to recent events, #banana has been removed from the webchat, and is no longer officially affiliated with Msgplus!. Now, with all of this being done, is there going to be an official chat channel created? As to say, created by someone who will run it responsibly (NO, I'm not saying Underlord didn't run his responsibly, he did!)?

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by surfichris on 11-02-2005 at 12:40 PM

.. So you're suggesting yourself?

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by RebelSean on 11-02-2005 at 12:41 PM

Did I say that? I don't believe I did.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Sunshine on 11-02-2005 at 12:42 PM

I guess the answer would be NO! It will still be the same people going inthere..i don't see how people can get into so many arguments on irc tbh. I rarely had problems myself.

I wonder when people will realise that forums aren't irc and irc is nothing like forums....on irc you deal with diff characters, that's how it always has been and always will be. Don't tell me you know somebodies character from posts onhere...if you think you can you'll be very surprised when talking face to face to the person.

Guess in #msgplus we will stick to helping out and that's about it..no chatchan to join for them.

Thank/blame those bringing irc matters onto forums for that. Wich resulted in people joining in who knew jackshit about what has really been going on on irc..starting the flaming.

Edit: honestly i don't know if i should be happy or sad with there not beeing an official chatchan anymore..it means we have to deal with people overly chatting in #msgplus again..*sigh*

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by surfichris on 11-02-2005 at 12:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Did I say that? I don't believe I did.
You implied it.. already owning #chat that is.

[edit]

If there is to be a chat channel - it would be best to be left to be ran by the opers. That way we know exactly whats going on and can deal with things in a more "professional" way.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by mwe99 on 11-02-2005 at 12:46 PM

why do you even need it ? you have msn, a program designed for chatting

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by emit on 11-02-2005 at 12:48 PM

The issue is: you'll never be happy unless it is Patchou running the channels on IRC, making it a wholly official channel; then, and only then, would you never have grievances. Another problem is that you take 10 people from the forums who you say are "mature" and they will have no idea how to run an IRC channel. That's the nature of the beast. Sunshine hit the nail on the head, they are totally different environments.

Edit:

mwe99: 200 people in a mass convo on MSN? I really don't think so. Try IRC, you'll soon learn how utterly different it is from any other "IM" medium.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Daniel on 11-02-2005 at 12:55 PM

imho a chat channel isnt really needed, i estimate we got about 1/10 people in #banana who actually wanted to chat, and even then it was about 1/100 that stayed for longer than 20 seconds.

RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by segosa on 11-02-2005 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shady
imho a chat channel isnt really needed, i estimate we got about 1/10 people in #banana who actually wanted to chat, and even then it was about 1/100 that stayed for longer than 20 seconds.

And 1/5000 become regulars.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by L. Coyote on 11-02-2005 at 02:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
I guess the answer would be NO! It will still be the same people going inthere..i don't see how people can get into so many arguments on irc tbh. I rarely had problems myself. [...] Thank/blame those bringing irc matters onto forums for that. Wich resulted in people joining in who knew jackshit about what has really been going on on irc..starting the flaming.
(y) Very well put, Sunshine.

Although I don't see why there's such a big fuzz about it. Just send anyone who wants to chat in #msgplus to #banana (state that it "isn't official" or something that makes most people happy).

Cheers!
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Sunshine on 11-02-2005 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
(y) Very well put, Sunshine.
quote:
Just send anyone who wants to chat in #msgplus to #banana (state that it "isn't official" or something that makes most people happy)

We could do that but it would still not change the fact that they see the same people inthere who may respond differently in a chan that's chat based instead of support based.. so they will still complain about it, official chan or not. Only difference this makes is that we now actively have to point them there as they don't know support chan aint for chat..nobody will come into the chat chan out of emselves anymore. In other words put the strain on the ops in #msgplus.

In #msgplus we stay nice (atleast try to) even when someone seeking help is rude...in a chat chan that's a completely different story. If people come inthere with an attitude like i'm all this and that..lookie at my pic i'm hot so i can say whatever the hell i want kinda attitude then yah expect some flaming/fighting/arguments. Some people even misinterpret a joke as beeing serious resulting in arguments. We in general aren't rude inthere but like everywhere else on irc or whatever chatprogram you can't expect to be accepted right away if you come in with an attitude first time you join.

Also leaving forums because of something that happened on irc is petty in my eyes...the two are not the same! Bringing it all onhere is even worse, deal with it onthere talk to the chanowner..prevent all those others joining in flaming over something they know nothing about. Putting shit like that onhere in my eyes is an attempt to destroy a perfectly good community, it causes arguments wich aint needed and certainly are not wanted onhere.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by MeEtc on 11-02-2005 at 03:42 PM

Whatever ends up happening, reduce the number of opers there. there is something like 15 at any point in time, I would like to see that number drop to about 5-7 if poosible. It may stop the supposed power abuse

my 2 cents

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by YottabyteWizard on 11-02-2005 at 04:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
Whatever ends up happening, reduce the number of opers there. there is something like 15 at any point in time, I would like to see that number drop to about 5-7 if poosible. It may stop the supposed power abuse

indeed
quote:
expect some flaming/fighting/arguments
That's why i don't join neither banana, and sometimes go to msghelp or keep at forums and MSN all day long.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by saralk on 11-02-2005 at 05:09 PM

I think it is important for there to be a chat channel. If there isn't then #msgplus will become full of spam imo.

However, the problem is that there were way to many ops in #banana, for people who are not familiar with IRC and IRC culture, an op would seem like a member of the staff almost, and if members of staff are telling people to stfu and laughing at them then it gives a very bad impression of Messenger Plus!

I think if you do make a new messenger plus chat channel, it should have less Ops, and if people become Ops, then they have to follow strict guidelines about how to behave and talk while they are Ops, if they just want to chat, then they should temporarily surrender their Ops status.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by emit on 11-02-2005 at 05:36 PM

You're trying to turn IRC into a bureaucracy with rules and regulations. That removes the whole essence of IRC.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Exca on 11-02-2005 at 05:36 PM

But still a chat channel would dispower this forum, unless it's only a 'chit chat channel' mainly under members; and questions to be asked here on the forums...

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by John Anderton on 11-02-2005 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
But still a chat channel would dispower this forum, unless it's only a 'chit chat channel' mainly under members; and questions to be asked here on the forums...
Hasnt it been like that ???
Main forums .... questions can be asked on #msgplus and random chit chat on #banana

Anyways .... agreed with sunshine and tis true there cant be a 200 person convo on msn .... you cant have a decent 5 + person convo ..... its tough ... you need IRC in that respect i guess .... but what i dont get is why is there a need for it to be an "official" channel. What difference does it make if it isnt ?
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by segosa on 11-02-2005 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
quote:
That's why i don't join neither banana, and sometimes go to msghelp or keep at forums and MSN all day long.

What, you're afraid of arguments? That's ridiculous.

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

I think if you do make a new messenger plus chat channel, it should have less Ops, and if people become Ops, then they have to follow strict guidelines about how to behave and talk while they are Ops, if they just want to chat, then they should temporarily surrender their Ops status.

As Time said, you're trying to turn IRC into something it is not. IRC is about free speech. If you act like a lamer, you will be treated like one. If you can't look after yourself and stand your ground, you're going to have problems.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Facta on 11-02-2005 at 07:35 PM

I vote for cookie and if you want more help myself:P (As ops)

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Jhrono on 11-02-2005 at 07:47 PM

Wow, a guy with 22 posts that joined in october wants to be Op..

Anyway, i dont go to irc that much, but i'm my vision no more irc chatting could make ths forum better

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Mike on 11-02-2005 at 07:58 PM

May I ask why it's not an official chat channel anymore? :(

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Facta on 11-02-2005 at 07:58 PM

just tried to help
but wateva
i have never been insulted or something in #banana

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by brian on 11-02-2005 at 07:58 PM

My god, Johny... Maybe Facta is an IRC regular that know's how to run a channel?  Time had 100 posts but was an operator, omgosh?

Just leave the Live chat for the help, if they chat, they get warned, if they keep on, they get kicked, banned, and so on.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by saralk on 11-02-2005 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
quote:

What, you're afraid of arguments? That's ridiculous.

quote:

As Time said, you're trying to turn IRC into something it is not. IRC is about free speech. If you act like a lamer, you will be treated like one. If you can't look after yourself and stand your ground, you're going to have problems.

I'm not disputing that, what I am saying though, is that #banana is accessed by a lot of people who would otherwise not go on IRC, they have no idea what IRC culture is like, and if they see a moderator making fun of them, it is not going to set a good impression.

I'm not trying to kerb the fun that can be had in IRC, but if you are going to flame people and stuff (which is no bad thing), do it from a non-op account.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Chrono on 11-02-2005 at 08:23 PM

there's no need for a chat channel, people should go to irc to ask for help :P there are thousands of other channels to chat about life :P

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Exca on 11-02-2005 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
there's no need for a chat channel, people should go to irc to ask for help :P there are thousands of other channels to chat about life :P

That's what i said... it would dispower the forums...

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Facta on 11-02-2005 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nvez
Maybe Facta is an IRC regular that know's how to run a channel?

Yeah!!!
oh, and i could have more posts, but if you read my them, youll notice i never spam, i could have a hundred now if i wanted to.... chrono made 69 in 2 days, i read somewhere
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by kittymew on 11-02-2005 at 08:41 PM

And again:)..did IRC have a Rules page?

RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by segosa on 11-02-2005 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
And again:)..did IRC have a Rules page?

No. IRC is not a place for 'rules'.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Jhrono on 11-02-2005 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Facta

oh, and i could have more posts, but if you read my them, youll notice i never spam, i could have a hundred now if i wanted to.... chrono made 69 in 2 days, i read somewhere
Wait a min ...
Are you saying i spam? Boy you are really new at the forums...After 6 months here, you'll learn spammers are the best!!At least that's what this forum teaches us right?With those 'O rly' images right ?..be helpful, shut up and live along with the situation..

And what chrono's a spammer?So what?At least he cheers the forum up..
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by emit on 11-02-2005 at 09:15 PM

IRC has guidelines, if anything. Read the motd (type /motd). That's a basic, very basic, guideline.

quote:
there's no need for a chat channel, people should go to irc to ask for help  there are thousands of other channels to chat about life

You would disallow all channels except for #msgplus on the server? That's a complete waste of an ircd. Might as well move the channel to a big network such as EFnet or Undernet then. That would certainly make more sense. You're wanting to turn that whole server into a helpdesk thing where people are on duty, working 9-5 days for the sole purpose of help. I'm sorry but even in the workplace people chat. That's, in essence, what #banana is for. The fact that some of the members in #banana never help in #msgplus is solely their choice. There may be thousands of other channels on IRC to chat about life in, but #banana is the channel on the MsgPlus server for that, I do not see why people cannot accept that.

quote:
That's what i said... it would dispower the forums...

How does 30 of the community regulars chatting on IRC dispower the forums? How does 30 people in a mass MSN convo dispower the forums? I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me.

quote:
I'm not trying to kerb the fun that can be had in IRC, but if you are going to flame people and stuff (which is no bad thing), do it from a non-op account.

Becoming an op on IRC doesn't mean you have to be all sugary sweet and nice all of a sudden. Being an op is about respect and competence; the channel owner respects you enough to give you access to be an op and trusts you have the competence to ban people who are behaving in a lame way on the channel - be it a regular or a newcomer. Just because you suddenly have an @ before your nick doesn't mean you have to stop swearing. Heh.

I've mentioned it before, but everyone should read this:
http://www.order.efnet.net/terms.html
I know it's a boring TOS but the ethics behind the wording and content sum up IRC very well.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by saralk on 11-02-2005 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
Becoming an op on IRC doesn't mean you have to be all sugary sweet and nice all of a sudden.

i'm not saying that, but being an Op puts you in a position of responsibility, and for someone who doesn't know much about IRC, an Op would seem like a member of staff.

And if you went into a restaurant and the waiter started swearing at you, laughing at you and then kicked you out of the restaurant because you complained, what impression would that give of the resaurant?

Messenger Plus! gives the impression of a proffessional company (which it is), and the Ops should try and uphold that.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Facta on 11-02-2005 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Are you saying i spam?

i dindnt... i said I dont spam.and i never said chrono is a spammer
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by kittymew on 11-02-2005 at 09:39 PM

I been reading that its ok to flame and be nasty to people ,people should handle it etc etc

But if you go to 95% of “chats” that actually work and have people stay and enjoy you need “rules”You cannot survive in any sort of community without them..Tis why chatrooms have rules..because things can get out of hand.sure not everyone can get along but there are ways of debating isuues without being personal..

You don’t abuse or disrespect people in “life” without repercussions..its plain and simple..tis why IRC needs to be “policed” so everyone can have fun..Not just the alpha’s.

On the internet rules also stand forth, many legal ramifications of ones actions have co-ersed many into seeking legal actions against ones who are deframing peoples characters.Whats illegal or unacceptable in society are also unacceptable online..

Most “chatting medians”online have a simple set of rules..and My personal opinion..that IRC would work if it followed a simple set of guidelines

·     NO Excessive arguing..
·    Spamming IRC with  nonsense posts
·    . Posting RT information about other people besides yourself IRC
·    Racism, bigotry (stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief,sexism or opinion that differs from one's own), posts referring to sexual acts with children or animals. Harassing other IRC members whether in PM or in public or by using an 'anonymous' type name. Harass: 1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute. 2. to trouble by repeated attacks, incursions, etc.,
·    Blatantly ignoring posted room rules
·    Anonymous posts- use your name.
·    Excessive use of profanity- 
Harrasing posts, posts that reveal RT information about people other than yourself.
.Continued removal from the #Banana. In other words, if you continue to break the rules posted above, there will be consequences.
·    Hacking or posting codes to interfere with the chat programming of IRC
·     threats to other Irc members on IRC will be reported to authorities and may result in banning from the IRC as a whole.

anyways jus a idea..to make IRC enjoyable for everyone..thinks ill hush now and hide:)

RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by brian on 11-02-2005 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
quote:
Originally posted by Facta

Wait a min ...
Are you saying i spam? Boy you are really new at the forums...After 6 months here, you'll learn spammers are the best!!At least that's what this forum teaches us right?With those 'O rly' images right ?..be helpful, shut up and live along with the situation..

And what chrono's a spammer?So what?At least he cheers the forum up..

Here's a hint; that's a spam post.

Oh, and there is a space after ?'s.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Omar on 11-02-2005 at 09:48 PM

quote:
and My personal opinion..that IRC would work if it followed a simple set of guidelines
staying for more than 5 minutes in the server and actually participating in the chat might help you get a better understanding on irc... :p
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by kittymew on 11-02-2005 at 10:00 PM

Omar..True..but I wont get into details..But i have done as you said..

The idea I listed is just a generic idea that actually works for Most"chats"..IRC isnt any different or special..Guidelines..work for a reason.
To protect the user and the IRC.
Like i said"its a personal opinion..backed and used by "most"collective chatting community medians..:)

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Omar on 11-02-2005 at 10:02 PM

IRC has nothing to do with "most chats"... (and btw...what chats you participate in anyway)

again, spend more then 5 mins.... and youll get it... :P

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by kittymew on 11-02-2005 at 10:07 PM

"chat room participants (chatters)" a group of people getting together who have at least one idea or interest in common..a myriad of Personalitys..beleifs,genders.class and nationalities....

and again i have been In IRC for more than five minutes,numerous times.and have participated in discussion....I have seen what happens there.

Guidlines are there to protect the individual and the site..how are any of those guidleines hurting anyone..?:)

RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by segosa on 11-02-2005 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Most “chatting medians”online have a simple set of rules..and My personal opinion..that IRC would work if it followed a simple set of guidelines

·     NO Excessive arguing..
·    Spamming IRC with  nonsense posts
·    . Posting RT information about other people besides yourself IRC
·    Racism, bigotry (stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief,sexism or opinion that differs from one's own), posts referring to sexual acts with children or animals. Harassing other IRC members whether in PM or in public or by using an 'anonymous' type name. Harass: 1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute. 2. to trouble by repeated attacks, incursions, etc.,
·    Blatantly ignoring posted room rules
·    Anonymous posts- use your name.
·    Excessive use of profanity- 
Harrasing posts, posts that reveal RT information about people other than yourself.
.Continued removal from the #Banana. In other words, if you continue to break the rules posted above, there will be consequences.
·    Hacking or posting codes to interfere with the chat programming of IRC
·     threats to other Irc members on IRC will be reported to authorities and may result in banning from the IRC as a whole.

Wow, you truly have no clue how it all works there do you?

For starters, there's no such thing as a 'post'; it isn't a forum.

Every single one of your rules is what makes #banana so great imo: free speech. If they were to be strictly enforced many people would leave.

Why don't you kids who like channels to have rules go make your own on the server and leave us to run #banana how it's been for the last 3 years? It works fine, everyone who's a regular there is happy, and others who aren't can simply leave. #banana is no longer official, everything is up to Underlord now.

As Omar said, try and be there for longer than 5 minutes before even thinking about replying to this thread.

[Image: freebanana6pw.png]
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by kittymew on 11-02-2005 at 10:20 PM

I refuse to nitpick or argue..as I don't think arguing is relevent or solves anything..I just listed some ideas..

..Post.."a communication median between participants in a discussion"

and i am hoping you didnt refer to me as a child or kid..as I am far from that..:)

and again i have been iin IRC for longer than five minutes.

By no means have my post meant to detrement or attack anyone in any way..simply some ideas put forward..thats is all..I am sorry if i have upset you.:(

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Omar on 11-02-2005 at 10:22 PM

quote:
I refuse to nitpick or argue..as I don't think arguing is relevent or solves anything..
with all due respect... but what are you doing here then????

This is a "discussion forum"... you know....
RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by kittymew on 11-02-2005 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Omar
quote:
I refuse to nitpick or argue..as I don't think arguing is relevent or solves anything..
with all due respect... but what are you doing here then????

This is a "discussion forum"... you know....

Discussion and arguing have two different meanings..
to discuss doesnt mean to argue

Noun 1. discussion - an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic; "the book contains an excellent discussion of modal logic"; "his treatment of the race question is badly biased"
Synonyms: discourse, treatment
2. discussion - an exchange of views on some topic; "we had a good discussion"; "we had a word or two about it"
Synonyms: give-and-take, word

argue:To put forth reasons for or against something, often excitedly: contend, debate, dispute, moot. See affirm, words
To engage in a quarrel: bicker, contend, dispute, fight, quarrel, quibble, spat, squabble, tiff, wrangle. Informal: hassle, tangle.
To put into words positively and with conviction: affirm, allege, assert, asseverate, aver, avouch, avow, claim, contend, declare, hold, maintain, say, state. Idiom: have it. See affirm
To give grounds for believing in the existence or presence of: attest, bespeak, betoken, indicate, mark, point to, testify, witness. See show

arguing is confrontational...discussion is unconfrontational
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by RebelSean on 11-02-2005 at 10:34 PM

Alot of valid points have been made. But let me just say my opinion.

As Cookie has stated, the channel has changed for the worse. A "general chat" channel is one were you can just chat about things. Not be trolling, flameing, or abusing powers. As the channel stands now, there are people who abuse there powers, and those in which kick/ban people who come in for help. I'm not naming names, but those of you know who I'm talking about. IRC shouldn't have extreme rules, just ones that are clrealy inforced that will make the channel run smoother. As to say, no flaming, no abusing, no kicking people who go in the wrong channel for support. But to move them with the !move command. I mean, that is what it was created for right? There are many people in #banana that are very rude and arrogent, and there quite a few people who agree with that.

It's these people that make the time people spend in the channel, not good at all. I'm not saying "OMG I WANT TO MAKE AN OFFICIAL CHAT CHANNEL", but I'm proposing one be made by someone who knows how to run a channel, one who knows how to use an IRCD and commands.

Chirs, I made that #chat channel a few months back. Because one day, I knew something like this would happen, and a channel named #chat would be a good official chat channel. I wanted to hold it and give it to someone who would suffice at running it. No, I'm not saying #chat should be made the official channel either. Simply stating that it would be a good idea, it just needs someone who is responsible and can get good ops to run it in there.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Jhrono on 11-02-2005 at 10:36 PM

quote:
Here's a hint; that's a spam post.

Oh, and there is a space after ?'s.
And he SCORES...
Here's another hint : that's teh spam..i smell a split on this post..
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by emit on 11-02-2005 at 10:45 PM

quote:
i'm not saying that, but being an Op puts you in a position of responsibility, and for someone who doesn't know much about IRC, an Op would seem like a member of staff.

And if you went into a restaurant and the waiter started swearing at you, laughing at you and then kicked you out of the restaurant because you complained, what impression would that give of the resaurant?

Messenger Plus! gives the impression of a proffessional company (which it is), and the Ops should try and uphold that.

This harks back to what I said earlier - you will never be happy unless Patchou is there policing the channel 24/7. saralk: there's a HUGE difference between a restaurant and an IRC channel and I think you know that. I agree that in the help channel, #msgplus, decorum should exist. But that's a help channel and if you have experienced half the help channels on the internet you will know that #msgplus is one of the few decent ones, the rest are full of people who tell you to RTFM and then ignore you. The channel in question is #banana, which isn't about decorum and helping people so that need for politeness and representing Plus isn't necessary. No one in there ever wanted the channel listed on the java applet, because we knew the influx of random people wanting to ask "n e hot grls here??" would just be annoying. If you saw the amount of people who seem incapable of telling the difference between "Click here for Help and Support" and "Click here just to chat" you would be miffed, to say the least. People joining the chat channel and asking "can ne1 help??" in a dozen languages, is not how regulars want the channel to be. By saying becoming an op is about responsibility you are enforcing them with this burden of having to be a role model, ops are still just lusers like anyone else in the channel, they shouldn't have to become a father figure to the channel all of a sudden.

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
It's these people that make the time people spend in the channel, not good at all. I'm not saying "OMG I WANT TO MAKE AN OFFICIAL CHAT CHANNEL", but I'm proposing one be made by someone who knows how to run a channel, one who knows how to use an IRCD and commands.

Chirs, I made that #chat channel a few months back. Because one day, I knew something like this would happen, and a channel named #chat would be a good official chat channel. I wanted to hold it and give it to someone who would suffice at running it. No, I'm not saying #chat should be made the official channel either. Simply stating that it would be a good idea, it just needs someone who is responsible and can get good ops to run it in there.

The people who op #banana are the ones who know how to run a channel, how to use an ircd and commands.

"Can get good ops to run it..." The ops in #banana are the best on the server; they're also the most active, the most competent people to op a channel in this community.

quote:
But if you go to 95% of “chats” that actually work and have people stay and enjoy you need “rules”You cannot survive in any sort of community without them..Tis why chatrooms have rules..because things can get out of hand.sure not everyone can get along but there are ways of debating isuues without being personal..

IRC works. Fact. Read: www.netsplit.de to get an idea of how many people use IRC everyday.

quote:
You don’t abuse or disrespect people in “life” without repercussions..its plain and simple..tis why IRC needs to be “policed” so everyone can have fun..Not just the alpha’s.

IRC is policed. Packetteers get banned. Flooders get banned. Drone runners get banned. You're trying to police things so strictly that you leech the fun right out of them.

quote:
On the internet rules also stand forth, many legal ramifications of ones actions have co-ersed many into seeking legal actions against ones who are deframing peoples characters.Whats illegal or unacceptable in society are also unacceptable online..

Warez is against the law. The majority of internet denizens condone it and enjoy it. Etc. Insulting someone on IRC is never going to result in a lawsuit, that's beyond ridiculous. Spend ten minutes in some channels and I think you would be crying, literally. You can get insulted just for the ISP you use in some places. Wow, you people are sensitive.

quote:

· NO Excessive arguing..
· Spamming IRC with  nonsense posts
· . Posting RT information about other people besides yourself IRC
· Racism, bigotry (stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief,sexism or opinion that differs from one's own), posts referring to sexual acts with children or animals. Harassing other IRC members whether in PM or in public or by using an 'anonymous' type name. Harass: 1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute. 2. to trouble by repeated attacks, incursions, etc.,
· Blatantly ignoring posted room rules
· Anonymous posts- use your name.
· Excessive use of profanity- 
· Hacking or posting codes to interfere with the chat programming of IRC
· threats to other Irc members on IRC will be reported to authorities and may result in banning from the IRC as a whole.

anyways jus a idea..to make IRC enjoyable for everyone..thinks ill hush now and hide

IRC is enjoyable, without all those rules. I pasted a link to a set of guidelines previously. Basically "don't be lame" is what they said. You could learn from that. These rules above are nonsense, go and read bash.org and you will realise that IRC is about free speech and the frontier of the internet, as well as the underground. Some of the rules you have listed show that you have a lot to learn about IRC - regarding anonymity and profanity and "nonsense posts". www.irchelp.org - read it three times.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Chrono on 11-02-2005 at 11:42 PM

quote:

You would disallow all channels except for #msgplus on the server?
No. i meant that the irc server is there for people who need help, right? Then it's ok not to have an OFFICIAL chat channel like banana, but #banana will still be there. Just not officially :P.

SO stop complaining time :P banana wont die. And you will have more of what you people call "freedom of speech" (which i think it's not, bu meh) now that it's not official :)
RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by kittymew on 11-02-2005 at 11:52 PM

Honestly as i have mentioned i was only offering ideas on what i have seen works..seeing people complain about what IRC is and represents..made me think ..perhaps..it wasnt there to take it was just there to stem ideas..I didnt attack nor deframe..it was just my opinion..

quote:

IRC is enjoyable, without all those rules. I pasted a link to a set of guidelines previously. Basically "don't be lame" is what they said. You could learn from that. These rules above are nonsense, go and read bash.org and you will realise that IRC is about free speech and the frontier of the internet, as well as the underground. Some of the rules you have listed show that you have a lot to learn about IRC - regarding anonymity and profanity and "nonsense posts". www.irchelp.org - read it three times.

:)Enjoyment for who Time? do you speak for everyone perhaps or just a select few..Honestly I dont know what the common consensus is...
..maybe you or someone else should take  an anonymous  poll on whom enjoys The current IRC's Format and Environment..and take it from there ?
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Omar on 11-02-2005 at 11:57 PM

quote:
i meant that the irc server is there for people who need help, right? Then it's ok not to have an OFFICIAL chat channel like banana, but #banana will still be there. Just not officially
I agree.... :P

and please... stop bitching in these forums... have any problem with banana????? pm Underlord.... end of story
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by emit on 11-03-2005 at 12:22 AM

quote:
No. i meant that the irc server is there for people who need help, right? Then it's ok not to have an OFFICIAL chat channel like banana, but #banana will still be there. Just not officially :P.

SO stop complaining time :P banana wont die. And you will have more of what you people call "freedom of speech" (which i think it's not, bu meh) now that it's not official :)

It sounded like you were implying that. Then I agree - it is fine not to make #banana or any channel an official CHAT channel. I'm in upto 50 IRC channels at any given time - the death of one would not concern me, I can talk to the people in #banana in any other channel they care to join. Of course it is freedom of speech, the freedom to talk about incest, and paste goatse at any time - that's what should exist.

quote:
Enjoyment for who Time? do you speak for everyone perhaps or just a select few..Honestly I dont know what the common consensus is...
..maybe you or someone else should take  an anonymous  poll on whom enjoys The current IRC's Format and Environment..and take it from there ?

For the million people who come back to IRC everyday. They've embraced IRC how it is and they like how it is. You are limiting your viewpoint to just this one channel, on one server... IRC is vast. Big picture.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Hank on 11-03-2005 at 12:32 AM

Beamy, i Myself use Mirc to.so Yes lots of people use Mirc, file sharing etc, im with Time on this one

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by kittymew on 11-03-2005 at 01:06 AM

Sorry if i didnt make myself clear ..I meant IRC as the the banana channel..not IRC in general terms....:(

my apologies as i can understand your misinterpretation.

Look guys i am not here to argue ..I just had some ideas..I am NOT..attacking IRC or IRC Banana ..I am jus saying that perhaps a gerneral consensus..not just a select few maybe in order..an open friendly discussion on what is working for banana and what isnt..thats all..I personally dont know..and you guys only know what you feel but what about everyone else ..the young person that left the IRC Banana chat ..the one whom started this thread.te ones that have problems with it...the others who think IRC banana works and is wonderful:)..why dont instead of dissallowing or closing or moving or dissasociation..why don't you come to a median..compromise..to benefit all?:)

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Omar on 11-03-2005 at 02:00 AM

but beamy... what happens in banana is noone's concern now that is not the oficial chat channel anymore... :P

have any good ideas...? please pm them to Underlord (Sam is the channel owner)...

kthx... :)

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by CookieRevised on 11-03-2005 at 02:05 AM

I didn't wanted to talk about it again, since the other thread got closed and since things were said as far as I was concearned.
But this is brought up again and the topic has shifted again from a suggestion to make an official chat channel to the discussion about how #banana is/was.
(and I also know some mods wouldn't be pleased with that)

But, thus after reading the many posts and arguments again I want to say the following:

------------

Some people need to learn what a community is and how a community works. Ever heared of Social Science or Group Behaviour Science? Maybe it would be good if we all studied that first...

IRC channels are also such a community or part of. And the Plus! IRC network is part of the Plus! community.

"Freedom of speech" is used some times as an argument. Sorry, but this makes me seriously laugh (a "green" laugh though). Not only contradicts it some other replies made by the same persons, there is also no such thing as freedom of speech in an average IRC channel. Why? Because each channel is ruled by its ops. They decide what is "freedom of speech".

An IRC channel has only freedom of speech if it has no ops at all and if there are no consequences at all when someone says something, anything. Thus "Freedom of speech" also means that people can come and talk like "I R the sex, give me your asl".

And the "I R the sex, give me your asl"-people and the likes (like abusive or other attidude-newbs) are not the issue here! The issue is about the too fast trigger finger actions of some people and often the insults or insuniations that fly around between regulars and normal newbies, thus not those attitude newbies who only come to a channel to stirs things up, or bot attacks or whatever! (and Time, this is what I meant earlier when I said you're very good at shifting topics and putting the focus on something else ;))

Some people who have replied in this thread may not know the ins and outs of IRC and the various commands and stuff, but they indeed seem to know how a community and especially its respected and/or "leader" members should behave and are seen by newbies and other people.

I have been on IRC since I was 17 years old (thus almost 12 years), and I have been member of a lot of different "communities" and have seen all sorts of them. From "anarchy" channels to "family" channels.

Things associated directly (aka official) or sometimes even indirectly with Messenger Plus! needs certain behaviour rules and patterns of its "leaders" because these are who make or break the image of Messenger Plus! towards the outside world. If you can't understand that, than I indeed question the "competence" of those people in context to "leading" a certain aspect of such a specific community.

Competence does not mean knowing all the commands and stuff, because that would be called "knowledge". Competence means being able to act in the proper way given the context you're in and taking in account the place you're in and what it represents to the outside world and how your actions are percieved by this outside world.

Also, some arguments have been given like "you want to make #banana full of rules, thus taking out all the fun" or something like that. Again making rules does certainly not mean taking out the fun of something. In fact it means making the place more fun for everybody, aswell for the regulars as for newbs! If people here talk about "setting some guidelines" or "making some rules" it does not mean make rediculus rules like "nobody can ever use the f word" or "you may never enter a line longer than 80 characters".

All to often I see such arguments as "rules kill the fun" (thus not only here btw).
Such argument is only used by people who don't have an idea how a large community is run or who despise rules themselfs or who are power hungry themselfs.

A good set of rules do not kill any fun at all, they make a place more fun for everybody instead of only "fun" for an elite group.
And a with a "good set of rules" I don't mean 500 lines of boring do-not texts. It could be very short; heck, in fact, if everybody was mature anough and knew how to act in a large family community you don't need any rules at all to begin with.

All I ask is some mature behaviour and mostly some consequent behaviour. This means, to give two random examples:
1) don't swear and/or kick newb people for comming in and asking "can I have you ASL", because you are bored or annoyed about something else or are in a bad mood. Instead tell them this is no dating channel, warn them (but kindly without swearing!) and what not, only if thy persist do what you need to do.
2) don't flood yourself with ascii art and kickbanning the next newb who comes in and do the same because he has seen you doing it.
These are not the best examples and may not represent the "problems" and/or "issues" fully, but they give a small idea. Thus, in other words, I'm not talking about the bot-attacks or whatever

And again, we're not talking about IRC as a whole, but about a specific IRC channel on a specific IRC network.

------------

quote:
For the million people who come back to IRC everyday. They've embraced IRC how it is and they like how it is. You are limiting your viewpoint to just this one channel, on one server... IRC is vast. Big picture.
We are not talking about the vast IRC... We are exactly talking about a specific channel on a specific network. Don't shift and detour the topic...

quote:
Of course it is freedom of speech, the freedom to talk about incest, and paste goatse at any time - that's what should exist.
Time, I'm sorry but this exactly sums up and exactly shows what I have against the current #banana and how it is led...

The current #banana is very closely associated with Messenger Plus!, this means also young people, inexperienced people, etc...

I have nothing against anarchy, goatse, porn or whatever. But everything has its place! If you can't understand that then indeed I question your "competence" as a leader of such part of the Plus! community.

As said before, you would be (are) an excellent op with massive knowledge about stuff on the "normal" IRC channel. But since #banana is seen as the chat channel of Plus!, also by newbs, and thus because it represents that part of the Plus! community IMHO you fail there. Because I see #banana as a part of the Plus! community, not as yet another random (almost "anarchy") IRC channel like there are billions.

And this exactly shows the problem also:
quote:
Enjoyment for who? Do you speak for everyone perhaps or just a select few.

With the current #banana I mean the chat channel listed on the offical IRC applet.

------------

Removing #banana from the official IRC applet is IMO a very good move in the right direction...

Making another (new) official chat channel with a different athmosphere than what #banana has become? Maybe, dunno...

I also know we had troubles before with chatting in #msgplus, and splitting this to a chat channel was a very good thing todo and I don't wanna loose that.
Unfortunatly that chat channel's athmosphere has been shifted seriously from what it was at the beginning.

IMHO, let it be for a while like it currently is: officially #msgsplus, and unofficially #banana. And as stated by someone before: If someone new wants to chat in #msgplus and there is help going on at the moment, refer them to any channel or network you like, but also say that actions taken in those channels do not nessecairly represent the Plus! community.

If troubles arise again with chatting in #msgplus, let's discuss this idea of RebelSean again...

------------

On a related subject:

Talking about such problems on a forum is one way of discussing this. A forum is a good place to do it in. Heck, a forum and a thread like this is called a "discussion platform".

Discussing something like this on IRC (and in #banana), would lead to nothing more than the use of oneliners, flames, not to mention kicks, etc. And things said on IRC can't always be read by those whom it concearns.

The IRC channels talked about and this forum are two major parts of the Plus! community. Yes, the "leaders" are not the same, but does that mean this can't be discussed on this forum?

The subject here is not "I was banned from #banana by x and yaddayaddayadda". For such things, IRC and talking to the person who banned, is indeed the proper thing todo. But this current discussion goes far beyond that.

------------

-me out-
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by emit on 11-03-2005 at 02:21 AM

Cookie: but the majority of the regulars want #banana to be like the vast IRC or as another anarchy channel, as you put it. Also, since you don't participate in the channel and are idle 99% of the time and you object so much why not just /part? #banana is not so closely associated with the Plus community as you imply, just because it is on the MsgPlus irc server doesn't mean it is instantly closely tied to Plus. It was shoved on the java applet de facto because it was the most populous non-help channel. Thankfully that is rectified. So now people can quit complaining about the channel having any impact outside of the regulars in the channel.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by lordy on 11-03-2005 at 02:21 AM

ah cookie, your posts always take me several minutes to read :P

I went on IRC last night for the first time in a while, and I have to say it was better than the first time i went in there (i went in and was instantly called a disgusting name for no particular reason)

i dont see what everyone is complaining about, IRC really is a good palce to be!

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by brian on 11-03-2005 at 02:34 AM

For now the "chat" channel is #apple; we'll see how it will go.

Just for the records; anyone coming to flame; spam; will get banned.

I mean no any forum regulars joining saying this is wrong, etc.  I don't care, you know you're not supposed to do that, you get banned, tho I'll be less strict with guys using webchat, but again, after twice; three times of repeating/demanding not to; the ban will come.  I'm not going to ban from first time and am not expecting them to 100% know all the rules.

RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by CookieRevised on 11-03-2005 at 02:56 AM

quote:
Cookie: but the majority of the regulars want #banana to be like the vast IRC or as another anarchy channel, as you put it.
yes, the regulars... Try understand about what I'm talking about: the issue is how mostly not-so-regulars see the #banana channel as the official chat channel and thus #banana gives a serious false picture of the Plus! community...

quote:
It was shoved on the java applet de facto because it was the most populous non-help channel.
Indeed, and back then the channel was a friendly and fun place to be for everyone, hence why it got added.

And because it got added, it got officially and because of that you should have known the consequences of that and what that means in context of handling people, regulars or not.

If you wanted to make it into an "anarchy" channel (for the lack of better word) and/or do your own thing you should have parted yourself and created your own channel (on the Plus! servers or not) like there are so many.

So don't twist things around; don't blame the fact that it got added to the applet and made officialy for the things which happened much later on and which I'm talking about.

quote:
Also, since you don't participate in the channel and are idle 99% of the time and you object so much why not just /part? #banana is not so closely associated with the Plus community as you imply
Yes it is! (was).

And again, don't bring in the idling or whatever. What has that got to do with anything? Even if I was never part of the channel, or even IRC all together, all my arguments still count. (and FYI, IIRC I was on the Plus! IRC channels before you became a regular)

Either you know about what I'm talking about but are so stuburn to not let it show (wouldn't be the first time) and enjoys aggravating people,... or either you need to brush up on your reading and especially "understanding in the bigger picture" skills...

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that I'm constantly talking about how other people see #banana and how other people are treated in #banana. This isn't about me idling in a channel or about me not knowing what to expect on IRC or not about me not being able to defend myself from aggressors on IRC..., this is about defending the image of the Plus! community to the outside world.

And FYI, I still idle there instead of parting it, because I care about what happens in an official (or much used) channel, just because of the image it represents officially or not. If it wasn't so tight to Plus! I would have parted it long time ago, just as I parted (or even never was a member of, like #B-bombs, #Jaguar, #moo, #web2messenger or other channels on the Plus! IRC server) other IRC communties/channels which I don't care about anymore or which I have no interest in anymore.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Underlord on 11-03-2005 at 06:47 AM

Can you people stop bickering. Maybe someone should speak to me, instead of bitching about my channel behind my back. It's really apreciatied. Changing the chat channel to #apple makes no sense to me. There are the same users and ops there. It will make no difference. Some of you have been on IRC for what..? Five minutes? I'm sure you really understand how IRC works and how many people use IRC every day. Banana ISN'T... I will repeat that ISN'T a daemon channel. 99% of the time it is just people chatting. None of the regular users have problem and not all of them are "leet". They have just learnt to accept that IRC IS NOT THE FORUMS. On that note, IRC has nothing to do with the forums and bitching about it here really isn't helping your cause. #Banana isn't the "Official Chat Channel" anymore. So you can stop your whining and ramblings. No one makes you go there. So if you don't want to, then please don't. If you don't want to be there i'm sure we don't want you there. We do talk to people who want to talk. If they say things like "hoo wants to cam wit me" we will kick them. We don't want people who want to cyber there. I think that is pretty self explanitory. If anyone has noticed the people in #msgplus consist of a group of #banana users. We help more people than on the forums by atleast three fold. So don't say, "oh i'd be happy without IRC", because you have no idea what you re talking about.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Discrate on 11-03-2005 at 06:51 AM

think it should be run by someone else who dosent have a gruop that bullies people underlord did a great job but some of the other people on there didnt

P.S read my sig

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Underlord on 11-03-2005 at 06:58 AM

They arn't bullies. Joelm you go in there to start a fight then make accusations of us? The people who want help in the help channel are treated with respect. Most people in #banana are treated with respect. We don't respect people who want to cyber, or people who just want to flame us. As i just said. No one is forcing you to go on Msgplus IRC. If you don't like IRC then don't go on it.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Discrate on 11-03-2005 at 07:00 AM

i want to go on there i dont cyber i dont jsut go on there to make fights but one timei went on there and  people started saying im mentally ill becuase i spell wrong and i thought to my self what prevoked this i ddi ntohing and other times people are swearing at people

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by ddunk on 11-03-2005 at 07:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joelm
think it should be run by someone else who dosent have a gruop that bullies people underlord did a great job but some of the other people on there didnt
There isn't any other "group" to run IRC, can't you see that?

And about your sig: I just went through my logs, not once have you been banned and you've only been kicked once. The "bullying" you're speaking of is segosa and I complaining to you about your typing/grammar/spelling. We didn't "bully" you, you were the one who flipped out. After that, you quit by choice. The next time you came was to complain about your forum ban to the people on IRC and you haven't been back since until 5 minutes ago in #apple. If you don't like us, why do you keep coming back?

quote:
i want to go on there i dont cyber i dont jsut go on there to make fights but one timei went on there and  people started saying im mentally ill becuase i spell wrong and i thought to my self what prevoked this i ddi ntohing and other times people are swearing at people
Wow... just wow. I'm not even going to type out a reply to that, I'll just give you the log and let you see we NEVER called you mentally ill. You were the one who called segosa a "fucking dickhead." Please do not make up bullshit to make us look bad. WE'RE NOT.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by lordy on 11-03-2005 at 07:13 AM

i think you'll find that people in IRC are very touchy about spelling and gammar ;)

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Underlord on 11-03-2005 at 07:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
i think you'll find that people in IRC are very touchy about spelling and gammar ;)
Mostly Segosa, but he isn't "abusive". He just points it out and doesn't really like people spelling like crap.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Hank on 11-03-2005 at 07:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16

i think you'll find that people in IRC are very touchy about spelling and gammar

wrong.. atleast the IRC server i use doesnt care so much aboutt Grammer  aslongh as the Question can be understood,
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by ddunk on 11-03-2005 at 07:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
wrong.. atleast the IRC server i use doesnt care so much aboutt Grammer  aslongh as the Question can be understood,
He was talking about msgplus IRC. And we do care. Why should we have to decipher crap spelling just because the person is lazy?
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Stigmata on 11-03-2005 at 07:26 AM

Bah,

be stricter.

Arguements = Kicked.

regardless of who it is.

RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Hank on 11-03-2005 at 07:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:
Originally posted by Animal
He was talking about msgplus IRC. And we do care. Why should we have to decipher crap spelling just because the person is lazy?

i agree with you to a degree, He does make far way to many spelling errors,,

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
Bah,

be stricter.

Arguements = Kicked.

regardless of who it is.
Lets also get the Cain out
RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Discrate on 11-03-2005 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:
There isn't any other "group" to run IRC, can't you see that?

And about your sig: I just went through my logs, not once have you been banned and you've only been kicked once. The "bullying" you're speaking of is segosa and I complaining to you about your typing/grammar/spelling. We didn't "bully" you, you were the one who flipped out. After that, you quit by choice. The next time you came was to complain about your forum ban to the people on IRC and you haven't been back since until 5 minutes ago in #apple. If you don't like us, why do you keep coming back?

quote:
Wow... just wow. I'm not even going to type out a reply to that, I'll just give you the log and let you see we NEVER called you mentally ill. You were the one who called segosa a "fucking dickhead." Please do not make up bullshit to make us look bad. WE'RE NOT.

you should read over the logs he askedif i was mentally ill and then he said later i was and plsu itsn ot jsut me who are getting bullied negro_joe -rafe-  to namea  few but theres many more.

plus that log it from a few days ago im talking about a more recent one
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by surfichris on 11-03-2005 at 10:58 AM

quote:
negro_joe
Ahem, the user who comes there and acts like a f'ing idiot?
RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Discrate on 11-03-2005 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
quote:
negro_joe
Ahem, the user who comes there and acts like a f'ing idiot?

that dosent make sence to me
he user who comes there and acts like a f'ing idiot? - are you telling me he acts like a  f'ing idiot or are you asking me?
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by emit on 11-03-2005 at 11:04 AM

Cookie: yet read through yesterday's log; John Anderton, mwe99, lordy16... were they abused? Were they <insert whatever pointless accusations you have cited here>? And look at the regulars we've had join the channel lately... hexel, Haz, rix - they have fitted straight in. These are not-so-regulars accepting the channel.

It should never have been official. EOF. It should, as was intended, just been an outlet for the helpers in #msgplus to chat and have the anarchy that should not exist in #msgplus. Simple.

Idling has everything to do with it. If you don't take an active part in the channel, you're not a part of the channel's "community". Greenboy never says anything yet his client has been in there for months; does that entitle him to an opinion? No way, because it just idles, he takes no part in anything. Just because #banana is on the Plus IRC server, a server which doesn't actually belong to anyone in the community even, doesn't associate it with Plus by default. Just as I could register #cheese on the server and it would be nothing to do with Plus. The association with Plus was forced upon the channel by the webchat button; something the regularls never wanted, never embraced. So, in spirit, the channel is not an extension of Plus.

"And FYI, I still idle there instead of parting it, because I care about what happens in an official (or much used) channel, just because of the image it represents officially or not."

So why are you not in #msgplus on EFnet? It represents the image of Plus, it gets people who need help in it and it is known as the alternative to the Plus server should the server ever experience downtime. You're not an official representative of Plus so why are you projecting this image that you have to look after everything Plus related. Just part and save us regulars who enjoy how the channel is the hassle of your derogatory opinion. It's not official anymore so there's no need for you to lord it over Plus' precious image.

The 35 regulars in there would not have become regulars were it as bad as you lay claim to it being.

Yes, we prefer proper grammar or spelling because it makes life so difficult trying to understand various versions of txt message talk. That truism holds sway over a lot of IRC channels on a lot of networks. It's a small courtesy to type full sentences and full words; take enough pride in yourself to use decent, readable English. Don't just do it on IRC even, do it throughout every typing pastime you partake in.

Haha @ joelm's signature. That's the most amusing thing I've seen in a long time.

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by surfichris on 11-03-2005 at 11:07 AM

quote:
he user who comes there and acts like a f'ing idiot? - are you telling me he acts like a  f'ing idiot or are you asking me?
I'm questioning why you say he is the one being abused when he deserves it alot of the time for acting like a complete idiot on the network.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Discrate on 11-03-2005 at 11:09 AM

well its not like i go on there to get abused im shore that he dosent go on there to get abused

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by surfichris on 11-03-2005 at 11:11 AM

quote:
he dosent go on there to get abused
HE acts like an idiot. What is called a "troll". If he didn't, then he wouldn't cop the crap.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by lordy on 11-03-2005 at 11:14 AM

quote:
Cookie: yet read through yesterday's log; John Anderton, mwe99, lordy16... were they abused?
:O i was mentioned!!

* lordy feels special :D

and no i wasnt abused, in fact it was quite enjoyable, and im going to keep going back:)
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by RebelSean on 11-03-2005 at 12:37 PM

quote:
For now the "chat" channel is #apple; we'll see how it will go.

Excuse me? What? Who said that you get to pick the chat channel? If anything, it will be picked by the opers and I'm sure that they will have a vote on who will run it. Not only that, like CookieRevised said. Chatting in #msgplus for now when no help is going on would be the best idea atm, and if it gets out of hand, then we can go back to my idea: an official chat channel.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Omar on 11-03-2005 at 01:30 PM

quote:
Excuse me? What? Who said that you get to pick the chat channel?
#apple was added to the webchat for the moment... so shush...
RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by emit on 11-03-2005 at 02:04 PM

quote:
Excuse me? What? Who said that you get to pick the chat channel? If anything, it will be picked by the opers and I'm sure that they will have a vote on who will run it. Not only that, like CookieRevised said. Chatting in #msgplus for now when no help is going on would be the best idea atm, and if it gets out of hand, then we can go back to my idea: an official chat channel.

Too late, the Network Admin already made the webchat point to #apple.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by Sunshine on 11-03-2005 at 02:35 PM

Apparently a new "official" chatchan has been added to webchat. I don't get it..it won't change a thing...if it's the same people :mipdodgy:

Tell me honestly what is so different about that chan? Does nobody get what i was trying to explain inhere? Who decided on this? I'm so sick an tired of people thinking they can do better....*sigh*

RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by CookieRevised on 11-03-2005 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Cookie: yet read through yesterday's log; John Anderton, mwe99, lordy16... were they abused? Were they <insert whatever pointless accusations you have cited here>? And look at the regulars we've had join the channel lately... hexel, Haz, rix - they have fitted straight in. These are not-so-regulars accepting the channel.
:rolleyes: Am I'm talking about 1 specific day, namely yesterday? I think not... I'm talking about what happened over the past years and how it sometimes seriously escalated.

quote:
It should never have been official. EOF. It should, as was intended, just been an outlet for the helpers in #msgplus to chat and have the anarchy that should not exist in #msgplus. Simple.
(...)
The association with Plus was forced upon the channel by the webchat button; something the regularls never wanted, never embraced. So, in spirit, the channel is not an extension of Plus.
Then where were you all this time? Or where were all the others who didn't liked it that it was added? As apparently everybody didn't liked it according to you... Except for a extremely few people, I never heared someone complaining it was added...

And again, at the time it was added it was a channel where ops and regulars were friendly to all people.  So your point is again irrelevant and wrong...

quote:
Idling has everything to do with it. If you don't take an active part in the channel, you're not a part of the channel's "community".
As I said before (again; I seem to repeat myself) I was a very regular member of #msgplus and #banana, even before you were there. I practically "lived" there. And I was also a very regular member until recently... So your point is again irrelevant and wrong...

quote:
Just because #banana is on the Plus IRC server, a server which doesn't actually belong to anyone in the community even, doesn't associate it with Plus by default.
Apparently it is useless to talk senseable to you... Did you even read my previous posts?

If you think that the channels listed on the applet aren't official, or if you think that the "official chat channel" as it was called aren't official, then you either must be extremely dumb or either have no sense at all about the people around you (aka egoistic selfcentered ego), Time...

Yes, and I know these are flames...

quote:
So why are you not in #msgplus on EFnet? It represents the image of Plus, it gets people who need help in it and it is known as the alternative to the Plus server should the server ever experience downtime.
#msgplus on EFnet is NOT the official help channel. And in case the current server would be down and everything would be shifted to EFnet, I WILL be there. In fact, read your precious logs, you otherwise are always so quick to use them in your advantage, well you'll see that I was there in times things were temporarly shifted. So your point is again irrelevant and wrong...

quote:
You're not an official representative of Plus so why are you projecting this image that you have to look after everything Plus related.
Did I ever say I was the official representative of Plus? Did I ever say I have to look after everything Plus related?
NO! I do it out of my unofficial free will, because I simply care...

quote:
Just part and save us regulars who enjoy how the channel is the hassle of your derogatory opinion. It's not official anymore so there's no need for you to lord it over Plus' precious image.
That's convenient, isn't it?.. Now that it was removed from the applet, you dismiss everything simply with the onliner "it isn't official anymore so stfu"... Very mature of you indeed...

quote:
The 35 regulars in there would not have become regulars were it as bad as you lay claim to it being.
There would be more if it wasn't so bad at times.
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel? by surfichris on 11-03-2005 at 02:50 PM

You know what?

I'm closing this stupid thread because you know, it's really giving me the shits to see you people acting like this (especially the "OMFG you have the official chat channel now? who let you? etc").

Here is something I said on IRC before, and i'll stand by it.

<&surfichris> its just a chat channel.. tbfh
<&surfichris> the whole idea of
<&surfichris> an
<&surfichris> official chat channel that represents the community
<&surfichris> is just stupid.
<&surfichris> its a damn chat channel. the end.
<&surfichris> its only added there for people to join and chat if they ever so wish.

Just because it is on the webchat doesn't make it official of any sort. Do you see other large networks policing chat channels to make sure people aren't swearing, abusing etc etc? No. Don't give me that crap about it being different, because its not.

This shit has escalated far too much, thanks mostly to the trolls who come on the network and get banned for being stupid feeding the argument of how bad the "IRC people" are..