Shoutbox

Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? (/showthread.php?tid=52554)

Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Exca on 11-02-2005 at 06:45 PM

Would you like to have a feature that shows you the topics with new answers on your posts since your last visit? (next to 'View Lastest Posts above')

Personally i use it all the time, it is very useful imo...

RE: Show the answers on my posts since my last visit by WDZ on 11-02-2005 at 06:52 PM

Note: The feature already exists, this poll is about whether or not a link to it should be added in the header.

IMO, it would further bloat the design. There's no good place for it. |-)
RE: Option: Show the answers on my posts since my last visit? by user27089 on 11-02-2005 at 07:07 PM

WDZ, I don't think it would bloat the interface at all, if you had it like:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=559991]

It looks completely fine to me, with the right font that is...

RE: RE: Option: Show the answers on my posts since my last visit? by Exca on 11-02-2005 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
WDZ, I don't think it would bloat the interface at all, if you had it like:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=559991]

It looks completely fine to me, with the right font that is...

That's what I mean!
RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by WDZ on 11-03-2005 at 04:24 AM

But someone needs to come up with something better than "blah link blah" :tongue:

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Hank on 11-03-2005 at 04:30 AM

its a good idea, but IF DZ intends to inserty MyBB 1.0 Final, it would be best to put this into the Newer Board , Not this one, or am i wrong

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Ash_ on 11-03-2005 at 04:33 AM

maybe like a "X answers to your current threads"?

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Hank on 11-03-2005 at 04:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
maybe like a "X answers to your current threads"?

that would beat the purpose to the Subscribe box to the Threads people Post in,
RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by ddunk on 11-03-2005 at 04:41 AM

I don't really like the idea. Is it really that hard to scroll to the bottom of the latest posts page or to bookmark the page?       

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by zach on 11-03-2005 at 05:23 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to tick "Email Notification" so that you get an email when someone replys?

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by John Anderton on 11-03-2005 at 06:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
Wouldn't it be easier to tick "Email Notification" so that you get an email when someone replys?
Meh its easier to click at the bottom of the latest posts page :tongue:
I guess it would be an ok idea but meh ... not needed imo ... click on the link below the latest threads page :tongue:
What if you made 2 - 3 new threads ???
RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Discrate on 11-03-2005 at 06:26 AM

that would be an ausome idea and up the top there you can ahve all yuor threads you have made and then u could jsut click on them to see who has replyed.

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Exca on 11-03-2005 at 10:11 AM

It's really much more easier to have a page with a list of threads where answers have been given since your obsence; and i don't want y mailbox full of emails; as it is so much easier to just click that button :S

Now i don't really know exacly on what topics i have posted on yesterday. That problem should disappear

Note that the function is already here... it's just whether there should be a short link to it or not, and in my opinion YES because you don't know how easy and useful that future is - i compare with another forum i'm active on...

EDIT: @WDZ 'blah link blah' could be something in the style of: "show answers on my posts since my last visit" ... i think that is short & clear enough.

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
What if you made 2 - 3 new threads ???

The function lists the threads where messages have been posted after your posts, (since you last went offline) and if you made new threads and there is also answerred on, then those new threads should be in the list to...
RE: RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by zach on 11-04-2005 at 03:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
It's really much more easier to have a page with a list of threads where answers have been given since your absence; and i don't want my mailbox full of emails; as it is so much easier to just click that button :S

It would be useful, but if it meant too much work to make, it would be better for you to check your emails. In gmail it puts all the replies into on email as a conversation so you don't have heaps of emails about replies to the same thread ;)
quote:
Note that the function is already here... it's just whether there should be a short link to it or not, and in my opinion YES because you don't know how easy and useful that future is - i compare with another forum i'm active on...

I'm confused... "the function is already here"? where?

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by WDZ on 11-04-2005 at 04:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
I'm confused... "the function is already here"? where?
Go to Latest Posts, then click the link near the bottom that says "Show threads you posted in."
RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Hank on 11-04-2005 at 05:19 AM

is it Possible to Code  an Automatic Email funtion intro the boards? say if XX posts in blah blah an some1 replies tohis post,XXX revieves an emaill straight away?  it automatically subscribes that person to the thread, 

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by -dt- on 11-04-2005 at 05:30 AM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=560648]

hmm I cant see a way it would look nice....

(i made a gm script for this if anyone wants it)

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by surfichris on 11-04-2005 at 05:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal

is it Possible to Code  an Automatic Email funtion intro the boards? say if XX posts in blah blah an some1 replies tohis post,XXX revieves an emaill straight away?  it automatically subscribes that person to the thread,   
Yes, you turn the option on in your User CP.
RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Hank on 11-04-2005 at 06:41 AM

aww ty Chris :)

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Exca on 11-04-2005 at 09:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
[Image: attachment.php?pid=560648]

hmm I cant see a way it would look nice....

(i made a gm script for this if anyone wants it)

The second screenshot would be good if you would put a "-" or a "|" between the 2 links

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by kierant on 11-04-2005 at 10:34 AM

Why not change it to something shorter like 'Your threads' or 'Thread contributions'...blah, I dunno

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Exca on 11-04-2005 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kierant
Why not change it to something shorter like 'Your threads' or 'Thread contributions'...blah, I dunno

Why? I think it is already short enough tough :) That's the way it's already displayed in Lastest Posts so I think it's best that way
RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by kierant on 11-04-2005 at 11:13 AM

Oh right, I assumed you guys with the screenies thought the line of text looked too large to fit where you put it, or just didn't look 'right'. Never mind then :P

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by CookieRevised on 11-04-2005 at 04:53 PM

Note that the "show threads you posted in" page does not list all the threads you subcribed to. So even adding that link won't always show all the "new" replies either (not to mention if you have hidden a specifc forum, you wont see any new reply to that forum anyways).

Only the email notification, which you can enable in your User CP by selecting "Use Email Notification by default:" in your Profile Options, will notify you about all new posts.

And to add yet another link in the Latest Post page to show all your subcribed to threads would be too much IMO...

------

Tip for people who want direct links to specific forum pages:
Add custom buttons in your browser...

In every browser you have the posseblity to add custom buttons, this is very handy for such things.

Big benfit of this is you can customize it to contain and look like whatever you want, without the need of asking/suggesting to add links to certain forum pages for your convenience. Also, you don't even have to be on the forum to quickly go to a page (if you have enabled "Remember me" in your Profile Options). And you don't need to constantly scroll up or down to get to the links.

eg: in my browser I have a toolbar with "Latest Posts", "Users Online" and the "Basic Search Page".

------

All the available pages in this context are:
* Your Thread Subscriptions
* Your Forum Subscriptions
* Your Favorite threads
* Latest Posts Page (all threads)
* Latest Posts Page (threads you posted in)
* Latest Posts Page (all unanswered threads)

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Exca on 11-04-2005 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In every browser you have the posseblity to add custom buttons, this is very handy for such things.

This is interesting. How do you set them?
RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by John Anderton on 11-04-2005 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

This is interesting. How do you set them?
IE: Add something to the links bar and then tell your browser to show it ...
Just add the page to your favorites (ctrl+d) then drag it to the links folder or onto the links toolbar

FF: Press ctrl+d while on a page. Click the drop down list and click "bookmarks toolbar folder". Click ok. Then tell firefox to display the toolbar if you havent alredy by right clicking in some open space beside the other buttons on the top and then select "bookmarks toolbar"

Note: To enable the links toolbar in IE, the procedure is the same.

IE = Internet Explorer
FF = FireFox

(For anyone who didnt know ;))

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by Exca on 11-04-2005 at 07:22 PM

Tnx John Anderton

RE: Option: Show the topics with answers on my posts since my last visit? by zach on 11-04-2005 at 10:05 PM

I edited the image to make it how Animal suggested.
[Image: attachment.php?pid=561018]
I think that it would just be better to see new replies to your threads through email or if you just want to see the threads you posted in, make a bookmard or do it the same why you currently do.