Shoutbox

Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=52578)

Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by riahc4 on 11-03-2005 at 05:45 PM

This is a general thread to post any issues

And for the first time in some time the Plus! menu activates itself in "Compatability mode"

This could be very bad news.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by absorbation on 11-03-2005 at 05:55 PM

What do you expect it is taking patchou's features too, patchou should wait a bit until he gets a full features list then start trying to make compatible. What did they say to him in raymond?

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by Kryptonate on 11-03-2005 at 06:04 PM

The beta isn't even out yet, and when it will be Patchou still won't have a reason to make Plus! compatible with WL Messenger 8. The meaning of the beta is to test WL Messenger 8 to make sure it works the way it should. It's done best without any additional programs like Plus! installed.

btw: you're not allowed to have any beta unless you're a beta tester.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by hmaster on 11-03-2005 at 06:06 PM

Its completely changed. Even in Reshack...
Alot of things will have to have a major update as soon as this comes out as public..
(they could get a head start with the private ones (6))

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by ipab on 11-03-2005 at 06:11 PM

well for the skinners, the ufiles are located in 4004 and I believe style is located in 4005 (doing this out of mem at school, will correct if necessary when home).

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by -rafy- on 11-03-2005 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
This is a general thread to post any issues

Post any issues?

1. Msg plus dosent work with it full stop. You aint going to get any more issues beyond that!

2. Very premature, v8 insnt even in beta yet!
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by Dane on 11-03-2005 at 07:01 PM

I expect that once its officially in beta, not final as mentioned above, but in beta, Patchou will more than likely begin programming a beta version of Plus! for WLM8 and get that ball rolling....put it this way, has he ever left us without Plus! for an unreasonable amount of time?

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by absorbation on 11-03-2005 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hmaster
Its completely changed. Even in Reshack...
Alot of things will have to have a major update as soon as this comes out as public..
(they could get a head start with the private ones (6))

true. wait until they settle with their basics ideas then develpers can start again. Eveything atm is test test test, and the whole program may still change and become incompatible again :)

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by guanako on 11-03-2005 at 07:41 PM

hey is patchou a Messenger beta tester? he woucl just release a msgrplus! beta like with 7.5 beta ;)

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by matty on 11-03-2005 at 07:48 PM

Patchou is an MVP (Most Valuable Professional). He does get into any beta he would like.

As far as Messenger Plus! not working properly with MSN Messenger this is expected. It was the same thing that happened with MSN Messenger 5.0. Plus! was unable to hook the internal workings of it causing that menu to be displayed. It is nothing new.

Once Windows Live Messenger 8 is released publically then Patchou will release a compatibility update to support it. Until then Patchou has bigger things to worry about.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=560448]

Messenger Plus! source code is backed up on multiple sources but currently Patchou is trying to recover other data from it and wont be worrying about Windows Live Messenger 8 any time soon since it is still in beta stage (non beta testers shouldn't be using it) and not publically released.

We can actually close this thread and not worry about this any more.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by guanako on 11-03-2005 at 07:50 PM

leave it open or at least he can come and say something, so we all settle donw on this topic.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by matty on 11-03-2005 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
leave it open or at least he can come and say something, so we all settle donw on this topic.
Patchou won't be coming around here at the moment he has many other things to worry about and there is no sense to leave it open until WLM 8 is public.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by absorbation on 11-03-2005 at 08:12 PM

What does he have to worry about matty? For my own curosity?

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by -rafy- on 11-03-2005 at 08:25 PM

His raid drives crashed.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by aNILEator on 11-03-2005 at 08:37 PM

i'm upset that wlm8 is stealing ideas from msgplus such as the new shar files feature in plus, now you can creat a shared folder for contacts to browse and download the files they want, what next? auto-accept?

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by absorbation on 11-03-2005 at 08:39 PM

they also stole custom names and added towards the feature. When adding a contact you can give a custom name and details :)

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by kierant on 11-03-2005 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
they also stole custom names and added towards the feature. When adding a contact you can give a custom name and details :)

Although, to be fair, that function is pretty essential in order to get proper integration between contacts from Messenger, Mail, Outlook etc whic is one of their new features so that you don't have to add contacts to all individually.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by user27089 on 11-03-2005 at 08:41 PM

This really annoys me, I like MSN Messenger and stuff, but when they begin to "steal" ideas from Patchou, it really gets on my nerves, they can't think of anything of their own, they have to just go and use an idea that somebody has... Maybe they code it differently and stuff, but it is the same basic thing, and it doesn't change anything, maybe there is a small detail that is different, but so what...

I think Patchou should speak to Microsoft about what they're doing :-/...

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by absorbation on 11-03-2005 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I think Patchou should speak to Microsoft about what they're doing

I think he must of been told at raymond. They would of discussed furture features :)

This new custom names may mean ording names in order which plus! cannot currently do.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by Millenium_edition on 11-03-2005 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
This really annoys me, I like MSN Messenger and stuff, but when they begin to "steal" ideas from Patchou, it really gets on my nerves, they can't think of anything of their own, they have to just go and use an idea that somebody has... Maybe they code it differently and stuff, but it is the same basic thing, and it doesn't change anything, maybe there is a small detail that is different, but so what...

I think Patchou should speak to Microsoft about what they're doing :-/...
you do know there is no such thing about copyright on features? and do you even realize how dumb someone would look to go to microsoft and tell them "hey, you stole my feature!"? it's like saying ms ripped your work by adding a feature to their office suite - it's stupid.

another thing, they can probably think of their ideas on their own, just look at kierant's post. not to mention microsoft's custom names feature is probably way more elaborated than plus'.
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
I think he must of been told at raymond. They would of discussed furture features :)

This new custom names may mean ording names in order which plus! cannot currently do.
i seriously doubt they make a list of features and say "you get that one, we do that one"... :dodgy:
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by -rafy- on 11-03-2005 at 08:54 PM

Precisely millenium.

I dont think they are really "stealing" ideas from plus, most of the features they are implementing are just common sense ideas, and its great to see them finally implementing them.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by riahc4 on 11-03-2005 at 09:51 PM

OK Please stop calling it MSN Messenger. This isnt MSN Messenger. Its Windows Live Messenger.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by -rafy- on 11-03-2005 at 09:58 PM

meh, just beacuse MS wants to change the name, dosent mean we have to conform to their wishes :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! by user27089 on 11-03-2005 at 10:11 PM

It has just occured to me that Patchou never actually told us a lot about what happened at Raymond, it isn't as if he has to tell us her anything, it would just be good to know what was said...