Shoutbox

Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management (/showthread.php?tid=52658)

Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by rav0 on 11-05-2005 at 11:30 AM

This is partly for myself, and partly on behalf of guanako.

Are there ant tweaks/hidden options/hacks for Internet Explorer 7 that will facilitate this.

I want new tabs to be opened in the existing window, in cases where a new window is opened normally. For example, if I launch a popup, or if I open a link from an external program. Currently, both these actions will spawn a new windows for the page, but if a windows is already open, I want the page in a new tab of the existing window.

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 11:40 AM

This is a standard option in MSIE...

Tools > Internet-Options > Advanced > Browsing: Reuse windows for launching shortcuts

(or the likes, I have a Dutch MSIE, not an English one)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=561219]

(I can't confirm if this option still exist in MSIE 7, but I would think so)

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by rav0 on 11-05-2005 at 11:49 AM

The option is still in Internet Explorer 7, but it replaces the last used page with the newly launched link, no matter which window or tab it is in.

I want the newly launched link to open a a new, blank tab, in the last used window, and I don't think that there is a normally accessible option, I'm hoping that the options exists, but is just hidden normally, perhaps because of a bug in it, or that there is a patch for this.

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by John Anderton on 11-05-2005 at 12:22 PM

This isnt an open beta ... yet the thread ?? [Image: msn_surprised.gif]
Well i have it already so .....

I always wanted this thanks .... and i dunno why but i kinda like IE's tabs better than FF's (dont start a fight plz ...), though they could have made the colour changes a bit more smoother [Image: msn_tongue.gif]

Thanks cookie [Image: msn_happy.gif]
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(I can't confirm if this option still exist in MSIE 7, but I would think so)
It does :)
RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
The option is still in Internet Explorer 7, but it replaces the last used page with the newly launched link, no matter which window or tab it is in.
exactly...

quote:
I want the newly launched link to open a a new, blank tab, in the last used window
Ah, then I misunderstood what you wanted, sorry...

Can't help you with that as I don't have the beta of MSIE 7.

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
This isnt an open beta ... yet the thread ??
It is to developers or MSDN subscriptors... see http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/default.mspx

----------------

EDIT: from http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/o...iew/tab_impact.asp
quote:
In Internet Explorer 7, you can open links in new tabs in several ways.

* Choose the "Open in New Tab" command from a link's shortcut menu.
    * Click the link with the middle mouse button.
    * Click the link while holding the CTRL key.

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by Eljay on 11-05-2005 at 12:25 PM

when i had the beta (dont have it now) i think i saw an option for that

i think it was in Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Tabbed Browsing   or something like that

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by rav0 on 11-06-2005 at 03:46 AM

There are these options. I would think that the first option is what is needed, but it doesn't work.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=561553]

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by guanako on 11-06-2005 at 03:51 AM

when looking at in English its kinda hard to find the option that cookie suggested. IE tabs work good, only if they  had more options for them, like the one we are descusing

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by rav0 on 11-06-2005 at 04:01 AM

This is the option that CookieRevised mentioned in English. It is in the Browsing heading.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=561561]

It isn't what I want though.

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by Hank on 11-06-2005 at 05:54 AM

anyone have any idea when the Next Beta of IE7 will be commin out?

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by guanako on 11-06-2005 at 05:57 AM

still no luck, with all this....since i never tried it is possible to get tabs on IE6 ? if so i would downgrade, (another problem idk hom :S) anyone?

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by CookieRevised on 11-06-2005 at 10:32 AM

quote:
There are these options. I would think that the first option is what is needed, but it doesn't work.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=561553]
To know what each option does, right click it and choose "what's this?".

If "Always open pop-ups in a new window" option is turned off, you can right-click a hyperlink on a Web page and select "Open in New Tab" to open it in a new tab. If it is turned on, it will open in a new window.

Also remember that it is a beta! If things don't work as they should, you must report them. That's the whole idea of beta's. But then again, I suppose you're not an official beta testers either (unless you belong to the developpers or you have an MSDN subscription)...

But for these three options, they work like they are intended to work.

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
when looking at in English its kinda hard to find the option that cookie suggested.
I already pointed out the correct English option, in bold. See my first post.
RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by guanako on 11-06-2005 at 06:56 PM

i di, just ingonore my post ;)

RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by rav0 on 11-07-2005 at 07:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
To know what each option does, right click it and choose "what's this?".
It doesn't work, neither does CTRL + F1. I guess that the quick help isn't included. Hopefully somebody can crack it to work how I want.
RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by EvilSeph on 11-07-2005 at 07:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
still no luck, with all this....since i never tried it is possible to get tabs on IE6 ? if so i would downgrade, (another problem idk hom :S) anyone?

By running MSN Toolbar, you can have tabbed browsing for IE6.
RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by rav0 on 11-07-2005 at 07:37 AM

I don't like Internet Explorer 6, and I don't think that the MSN Search Toolbar tabs feature is even as good as the native management that Internet Explorer 7 has. Internet Explorer is differs greatly from previous versions.

This is MSN Search Toolbar; oh the bloat.

[Image: tb_title.gif]
[Image: tb_art.gif]

RE: Internet Explorer 7 Window/Tab Management by Eddie on 11-07-2005 at 11:04 AM

The next beta is to be released later this year ie over next 2 months or early next year.