Shoutbox

Reasons why threads were closed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Reasons why threads were closed (/showthread.php?tid=52663)

Reasons why threads were closed by riahc4 on 11-05-2005 at 01:29 PM

I think by obligation something should be added to the code to make the mod/admin that closes a thread to be the last post in the thread saying at least "Closed" and/or the reason its closed.

Example: (U1 is a user, U2 is a mod)

U1: I want a direct link to Windows Vista with the WPA crack plz..

U2: Illegal discusstion is not allowed here. Closed.

UNLESS THE LAST POST IS MADE BY THE MOD WHO CLOSED THE THREAD (OR A ADMIN) THE THREAD CANNOT BE CLOSED.

It will I think clear up some confustion and clear up the reason why it was closed.

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by linx05 on 11-05-2005 at 01:41 PM

Or the mods/admin can do their job properly and add a reason why with "Closed" in italics at the bottom.

Would save a bit of work I am sure they are too lazy to do anyway.

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
I think by obligation something should be added to the code to make the mod/admin that closes a thread to be the last post in the thread saying at least "Closed" and/or the reason its closed.
Why?

For starters, it is useless to put "closed" in a new post, because everybody can see the thread is closed.

Second, who closed the thread is of no bussiness to people and shouldn't matter.

And, if you use some common sense, you can always see why a thread is closed anyways.

For all other cases, mods already give reasons when they close a thread...

quote:
UNLESS THE LAST POST IS MADE BY THE MOD WHO CLOSED THE THREAD (OR A ADMIN) THE THREAD CANNOT BE CLOSED.
You really lost me there... I mean, it is only a mod/admin who can close threads in the first place. So what's the use of that rule?

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
Or the mods/admin can do their job properly and add a reason why with "Closed" in italics at the bottom.
mods/admins do their job properly already... and see my reply above concearning the completely useless "closed" post...

quote:
Would save a bit of work I am sure they are too lazy to do anyway.
This has very little to do with being lazy.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by linx05 on 11-05-2005 at 01:56 PM

There have been a few times when I don't know why the thread was closed. A little reason as to why it was closed would have been sufficient.

It does have something to do with laziness.

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by -dt- on 11-05-2005 at 01:59 PM

quote:
It does have something to do with laziness.
No it dosnt , they are there because they know what to do. They are not being lazy , being lazy would be not closing the thread. If you want to know the reson why the thread was closed PM a admin they will find out for you.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by Millenium_edition on 11-05-2005 at 02:06 PM

to avoid confusion: there's a difference between being lazy and not bothering to do too much work.

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by linx05 on 11-05-2005 at 02:06 PM

I still see no reason why not to put a reason in. I think it is because of laziness. Would be much easier. Then everyone can see the reason.

Is it not too hard to post a reason (for the threads which are a little too hard to distinguish why it was closed)?

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by user27089 on 11-05-2005 at 02:09 PM

I think the argument should end here, it is going to end up as a massive argument, and people are going to start flaming etc...

I don't think it has anything to do with laziness, a lot of the time, people do post why the thread is being closed, but that is for reasons like "There is nothing further to discuss", because there isn't... There is no need for the staff to post why they closed a thread, it is closed, and that is final, when a member of staff closes a thread, he doesn't have to tell you why, it may be obvious, it may not be, but it is his choice...

It would be just a waste of time to post why it has been closed, if the thread needs to be closed, then I say, close it, end of.

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by riahc4 on 11-05-2005 at 02:37 PM

quote:
Why?

For starters, it is useless to put "closed" in a new post, because everybody can see the thread is closed.

Second, who closed the thread is of no bussiness to people and shouldn't matter.

And, if you use some common sense, you can always see why a thread is closed anyways.

For all other cases, mods already give reasons when they close a thread...
1st point I agree altho you kinda argue against yourself; why do you put a (non-direct) link to the Messenger Plus! homepage when everyone knows where/what it is and they can find the download there themselves?
2nd point I disagree completely; I as a thread starter want to know why my thread was closed even if it clearly states in the rules. Its being lazy and not wanting to do the proper mod work.
Also what if I want to ask why it was closed? I dont know who closed it so ill just PM any mod. THat mod didnt close it and doesnt know why it was closed so he has to find and contact the mod who closed it. In the end its accually more work.
quote:
You really lost me there... I mean, it is only a mod/admin who can close threads in the first place. So what's the use of that rule?
I ment if a thread is gonna be closed the last post MUST be made by the mod who closed the thread. The only acception to this rule is admin which can close the thread regardless of the last post altho this is obvious.
quote:
It has everything with being lazy and not doing a mod job properly. Dont try to excuse the mods.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by linx05 on 11-05-2005 at 02:55 PM

Thank you riahc4. Glad someone agrees with me.

It is definately beneficial to both the thread starter, and others browsing the forum to put a reason as to why it was closed.

If the reasons why the mod/admin closed the thread weren't too clear, then to stop another thread opening asking the same question(s) would be to just add a reason to the end.

Come on guys, this isn't too hard to do.

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by Tochjo on 11-05-2005 at 02:56 PM

quote:
It has everything with being lazy and not doing a mod job properly. Dont try to excuse the mods.
Excuse me, did I miss the memo which said that all moderators are to post a reason for closing a thread at all times?

quote:
I as a thread starter want to know why my thread was closed even if it clearly states in the rules. Its being lazy and not wanting to do the proper mod work.
And we are being lazy? You have not read the rules, you are not obeying by them and you expect us to read the rules for you and quote the paragraph which you are in violation of? Come on, get real. And "proper mod work"? Did I miss another memo?

The way I see it moderators and administrators always do their job. If posts are reported, we deal with them. If a thread needs to be closed, we close it. Consequently, if a thread is closed, there apparently exists a good reason for that. I checked all closed threads of the last month and they were all closed with a reason I could easily find.

If you disagree with a decision, report the closed thread and ask why. When I read the report I know I'll get back to you on it - or append a post to the thread stating the reason. I don't know about other mods - but then again, they don't have any obligation to get back to you anyway.
RE: RE: Reasons why threads were closed by saralk on 11-05-2005 at 02:56 PM

quote:
quote:

In most cases it is very easy to see why a thread has been closed, 9 times out of 10 it is turning into a flame war between two people.

Furthermore, if mods were required to post a message every time they closed a thread, i'd bet my bottom pound that eventually they would be accused of trying to get their post count up.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by qgroessl on 11-05-2005 at 03:09 PM

And this thread should be closed after Tochjo's reply... because he said everything that needed to be said.

RE: RE: Reasons why threads were closed by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 03:11 PM

quote:
quote:
Why?

1st point I agree altho you kinda argue against yourself; why do you put a (non-direct) link to the Messenger Plus! homepage when everyone knows where/what it is and they can find the download there themselves?
Those two things are totally and obviously different. It doesn't contradict at all a link given as referrer...

If you are reading a thread, you obviously see that it is closed or not. There is absolutely no point in adding "closed" as a last post.

And people stumbling on these forums may not know the official homepage of plus. As a matter of fact search the forums and see for yourself, examples enough...

and "non-direct" link? as far as I see all links are proper direct links.

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Furthermore, if mods were required to post a message every time they closed a thread, i'd bet my bottom pound that eventually they would be accused of trying to get their post count up.
Exactly... And this is done in another big messenger forum, and when I see such posts I always get the idea that they only want to beef up their own postcounts because it is very obvious that a thread is closed, you don't need to state it again.

and almost the same goes with those "moved" posts; although that is sometimes handy to know at which point a thread was moved.

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by linx05 on 11-05-2005 at 03:23 PM

We're not asking for them to put "Closed" in every thread they closed. For the threads which are hard to figure out why it was closed, a simple reason posted at the end.

As for every thread closed in the last month having an easy to see reason, well I don't know. I can't bring up all closed threads easily. So I don't know for sure.

I just know some threads are hard to distinguish the reason why they are closed. And we are asking for you guys to put a simple reason at the end. We don't want to have to PM one of you every time.

So please take this into consideration; please!

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by CookieRevised on 11-05-2005 at 03:30 PM

quote:
We're not asking for them to put "Closed" in every thread they closed. For the threads which are hard to figure out why it was closed, a simple reason posted at the end.
When I said "closed" posts I explicitly meant posts with only the text "closed" in them, as I'm sure riahc4 also meant the same...
eg:
* like this
* like this

I'm not talking about posts which give a reason in public. Although I also argumented before that such posts are already done if the reason isn't clear enough (eg: thus not obvious solved topics, bickering wars, illegal content, double threads,  etc...)

quote:
As for every thread closed in the last month having an easy to see reason, well I don't know. I can't bring up all closed threads easily. So I don't know for sure.
Go to the latest posts page, scroll thru the pages and click on each thread you'll see which has a closed icon...

----------------------

[VERY SLIGHTLY RELATED (and I want to get this of my chest)]
And why was joelm attacked and also given a neg rep for stating "closed" because he meant for him the topic was clear and obvisouly "solved" (which he was right upon IMO also) while regular people aren't attacked and voted neg when they do it (see this thread where two regulars did exactly the same)?
[/VERY SLIGHTLY RELATED]

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by user27089 on 11-05-2005 at 03:36 PM

I don't think anybody on this forum has any right to say what the staff should be doing, or how they should be doing their job, maybe the administrators, but that is it... If they weren't good enough for the job, then they wouldn't be picked... The staff on this forum are better than they are on most forums, much more professional about everything.

I have looked at a load of closed threads, and each one that has been closed, it is pretty much obvious why they were closed. End of discussion, off-topic posting and flaming are quite frequent throughout the forum...

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by Tochjo on 11-05-2005 at 04:13 PM

quote:
we are asking for you guys to put a simple reason at the end. We don't want to have to PM one of you every time.

So please take this into consideration; please!
Glad to see it is also possible to phrase this nicely, instead of accusing the moderators of being lazy and not doing their job properly.

I guess I could add a post stating the reason in the future, however, don't expect it always on every closed thread. Ones that are very obvious e.g. not in accordance with the rules will most likely not have it.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by qgroessl on 11-05-2005 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
[VERY SLIGHTLY RELATED]
And why was joelm attacked and also given a neg rep for stating "closed" because he meant for him the topic was clear and obvisouly "solved" (which he was right upon IMO also) while regular people aren't attacked and voted neg because of it when they do it (see this thread where two regulars did exactly the same)?
[/VERY SLIGHTLY RELATED]

Agreed....

And about Traxors reply.... this is the only forum where people can come and actually feel welcome... I mean, honestly on most of the other forums out there people can flame other people and say shit and nobody does anything about it.... I think we're lucky to have the forum the way it is... and if the mods/admins don't feel like stating their reason, they don't have to.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by linx05 on 11-05-2005 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
The staff on this forum are better than they are on most forums, much more professional about everything.
I wouldn't go that far...

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
When I said "closed" posts I explicitly meant posts with only the text "closed" in them, as I'm sure riahc4 also meant the same...
That's what I meant too.

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
Glad to see it is also possible to phrase this nicely, instead of accusing the moderators of being lazy and not doing their job properly.
Just saying what I have encounted here

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
I guess I could add a post stating the reason in the future, however, don't expect it always on every closed thread. Ones that are very obvious e.g. not in accordance with the rules will most likely not have it.
Glad we could come to some sort of an agreement. I hope it will last more than 5 mins.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by Stigmata on 11-05-2005 at 05:08 PM

Bah, even though cookies previous links to the mess forums shows otherwise..

at the mess.be forums, one of the mod rules is to provide a reason for closing a thread. Usually a reason is provided by the other users of the forum (they are nice like that :P). Good Examples:

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=13085&st...01584&#entry101584
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=12893&st...=99605&#entry99605
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=10164&st...=75957&#entry75957

I think its a good idea to provide a reason. Allows the poster to know what they did wrong.

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by user27089 on 11-05-2005 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
And about Traxors reply.... this is the only forum where people can come and actually feel welcome... I mean, honestly on most of the other forums out there people can flame other people and say shit and nobody does anything about it.... I think we're lucky to have the forum the way it is... and if the mods/admins don't feel like stating their reason, they don't have to.

umm, are you going against what I said? Because what I said is basically what you said... or are you agreeing? I don't actually understand, sorry.
RE: RE: Reasons why threads were closed by qgroessl on 11-05-2005 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

umm, are you going against what I said? Because what I said is basically what you said... or are you agreeing? I don't actually understand, sorry.

I'm agreeing (Y):grin:
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by Discrate on 11-06-2005 at 05:07 AM

thats a good idea and also i think when you get banned you should put a reason like you are banned for 2 minutes becuase u swore .

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by WDZ on 11-06-2005 at 05:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Indeed... and it would actually be a good way of increasing your post count without doing anything "wrong"... :dodgy:
quote:
For the threads which are hard to figure out why it was closed, a simple reason posted at the end.
For threads like that, we (the mods) almost always make a post with the reason for closing. If there isn't a post, the reason should be apparent to anyone with common sense.

Anyway, not very many threads get closed around here. Of all the non-T&T threads posted in the last 2 months, approximately 1 in every 36 is now closed.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by qgroessl on 11-06-2005 at 06:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joelm
thats a good idea and also i think when you get banned you should put a reason like you are banned for 2 minutes becuase u swore .

I don't think you can get banned for 2 minutes?... haha.... And usually you only get banned for swearing if it's toward another member.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Anyway, not very many threads get closed around here. Of all the non-T&T threads posted in the last 2 months, approximately 1 in every 36 is now closed

Curious to know how you came up with that?... did you just make it up, or count it up and do the math?
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by lordy on 11-06-2005 at 06:01 AM

maybe its one of his many stats :P

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by Discrate on 11-06-2005 at 06:02 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by joelm

I don't think you can get banned for 2 minutes?... haha.... And usually you only get banned for swearing if it's toward another member.

it was only an excample

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by WDZ on 11-06-2005 at 06:04 AM

quote:
Curious to know how you came up with that?
A couple database queries and some math.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by Ahmad on 11-06-2005 at 06:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
at the mess.be forums, one of the mod rules is to provide a reason for closing a thread. Usually a reason is provided by the other users of the forum (they are nice like that :P). Good Examples:

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=13085&st...01584&#entry101584
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=12893&st...=99605&#entry99605
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=10164&st...=75957&#entry75957

I think its a good idea to provide a reason. Allows the poster to know what they did wrong.
Agreed.

Also, when someone is arrested, they are told why they were arrested and what law they broke (with the crazy laws coming out nowadays that probably won't happen anymore).

If a reason is stated as to why someone was banned or why a thread was closed, it would lessen the chance for other threads of the same nature to pop up again. It also gives the forum more of a user-friendly feel to it, and causes less confusion.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by John Anderton on 11-06-2005 at 08:53 AM

quote:

Example: (U1 is a user, U2 is a mod)

U1: I want a direct link to Windows Vista with the WPA crack plz..

U2: Illegal discusstion is not allowed here. Closed.

It will I think clear up some confustion and clear up the reason why it was closed.
Read the rules and remember them. If your thread is closed and you cant understand why then read the contents of your thread and the rules again (if a mod hasnt made a closing post and if he/she has then .... well nothing further to say huh !)

If you still dont understand then pm WDZ and he'll tell you ......

Imho if your thread is closed, see what content was posted in it. It doesnt take a genious to figure out why the thread was closed.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by Nathan on 11-06-2005 at 10:28 AM

Bit if everyone was Pming WDZ then he's bound to get annoyed isnt he.
Becasue it's not always him closing threads, and he gets about 50pm's a day!

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by CookieRevised on 11-06-2005 at 10:56 AM

As several people (including WDZ) already said: since a long time, posts with reasons are already given when threads are closed and the reason isn't dead obvious...

This discussion is about discussing something which is already done! Instead of argumenting (and calling mods lazy) look at the latest posts page and scroll thru the pages and find the locked threads and see for yourself...

In those years I've been here I have never seen a locked thread which I didn't know the reason for why it was locked (or maybe 1 or 2 out of the thousands threads in those years)...

RE: Reasons why threads were closed by Hank on 11-06-2005 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad
If a reason is stated as to why someone was banned or why a thread was closed, it would lessen the chance for other threads of the same nature to pop up again. It also gives the forum more of a user-friendly feel to it, and causes less confusion

Yes But People should Read/Know the Rules  just like your Post about a WLM a-patch Crack to use WLM , you have been on these forums long enough to know you shouldnt post stuff like that, so thats why your Post/thread was deleted,
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by user27089 on 11-06-2005 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad
Agreed.

Also, when someone is arrested, they are told why they were arrested and what law they broke (with the crazy laws coming out nowadays that probably won't happen anymore).

If a reason is stated as to why someone was banned or why a thread was closed, it would lessen the chance for other threads of the same nature to pop up again. It also gives the forum more of a user-friendly feel to it, and causes less confusion.

I don't know why this is being compared to somebody being arrested, they're on completely different levels, most people who get arrested would know why they were arrested, violent misconduct etc.

The admins do give reasons why people are banned, when you get banned you receive an email, stating why you were banned, and how long it will last, at least I have always have, and it isn't as if I'm a newb on that subject :p...

I don't think this forum needs a user-friendly feel to it, we're one of the nicest Messenger communities around (imo), as I have said many times, we're always nice to new members, and if we're not, then the posts get deleted etc, and we get told off... As WDZ already said, most of the time, if it isn't obvious, we are told why the threads we made have been closed, so there isn't really much reason to argue the point out anymore.
RE: Reasons why threads were closed by Tochjo on 11-06-2005 at 12:40 PM

As WDZ said,

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
we (the mods) almost always make a post with the reason for closing. If there isn't a post, the reason should be apparent to anyone with common sense

This thread isn't going anywhere and is therefore closed.

[edit] You forgot the italics, Tochjo!