Shoutbox

xp key - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: xp key (/showthread.php?tid=52753)

xp key by dylan! on 11-07-2005 at 11:14 PM

yeah well i had to restart my computer and then it said i have to install windows and when i put the key thing in it says its invalid...and i somehow got my 2nd hardrive to boot and im on win 98 and i was wondering if there was a way to find out what key to use by searching in the folders or something??:S

RE: xp key by Reaper on 11-07-2005 at 11:15 PM

well if your computer came loaded with XP when you bought it, theres a sticky on the side of your computer with your key on it

RE: xp key by M73A on 11-07-2005 at 11:18 PM

i have a keyfinder program for xp.... if ur interested?

RE: xp key by dylan! on 11-07-2005 at 11:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
i have a keyfinder program for xp.... if ur interested?
interested...but would it work?...i mean...i think i dont have that hardrive anymore...well i do but when i reboot it it goes to the xp setup for like halfway through and for like 3 mins then i have to register...but...i dont think it has a key or anything anymore because when i go into my computer theres only one harddrive...or is it just limited due to the fact that im on win 98??....pm me:D
RE: xp key by matty on 11-07-2005 at 11:30 PM

Unfortunatley the MagicJellyBean KeyFinder has to be run on Windows XP to find the key.

The key is stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion - DigitalProductID but the key is encrypted.

Have you tried using the Windows XP sticker on the side of the PC? If you don't have one you might be using a  key found on the web. Does this key happen to start with FCKGW? If so which version of Windows are you trying to install it on? Because that key was for the Windows XP Corporate with no Service Packs or activation. More of a Volume License Kit.

RE: xp key by dylan! on 11-07-2005 at 11:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Unfortunatley the MagicJellyBean KeyFinder has to be run on Windows XP to find the key.

The key is stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion - DigitalProductID but the key is encrypted.

Have you tried using the Windows XP sticker on the side of the PC? If you don't have one you might be using a  key found on the web. Does this key happen to start with FCKGW? If so which version of Windows are you trying to install it on? Because that key was for the Windows XP Corporate with no Service Packs or activation. More of a Volume License Kit.
no sticker on side8-) i dont know what it starts with...and im installing it on windows xp professional and i beleive i has sp2...so am i screwed or what?
RE: xp key by matty on 11-07-2005 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dylan!
quote:

no sticker on side8-) i dont know what it starts with...and im installing it on windows xp professional and i beleive i has sp2...so am i screwed or what?
What is the product key you are trying to use actually for? Each version of Windows has their own product key series. One for Windows 98 wont work on Windows XP.
RE: xp key by dylan! on 11-07-2005 at 11:39 PM

oh...its RXHK3-

RE: xp key by matty on 11-07-2005 at 11:44 PM

quote:
RXHK3
I suggest removing the rest of the key, but how come if I search google for it I can find it... :P

Might be that the key is being blocked by Microsoft but that would only happen during registration. Make sure you typed the key properly.

Often people make mistakes when typing: R369B : Could the 9 be a Q or the B an 8 or the 6 a G or the 3 a B?
RE: xp key by dylan! on 11-07-2005 at 11:49 PM

quote:
the key is being blocked by Microsoft but that would only happen during
yes ive tried that and others multiple times

RE: xp key by Ezra on 11-07-2005 at 11:59 PM

If it's a legal windows, you can try calling microsoft.

I believe you can also buy a key only.

Another thing I thought about, but don't know if it will work.

Try to extract the encrypted registry key from the old installation and import it into a new one (don't forget to backup your other key) and then run Magic Jelly bean to decrypt it.

RE: xp key by dylan! on 11-08-2005 at 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra

Try to extract the encrypted registry key from the old installation and import it into a new one (don't forget to backup your other key) and then run Magic Jelly bean to decrypt it.

how??...i have no knowledge on this stuff:S:(

RE: xp key by Ezra on 11-08-2005 at 12:24 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra

how??...i have no knowledge on this stuff:S:(

Then just don't do it, you might screw up more.
RE: xp key by dylan! on 11-08-2005 at 01:44 AM

guesse what people...im using XP!!...all thanks to matty for the help and i wanna thank everyone else for trying to help but it was matty that solved it and now i feel stupid...i had confused 2 letters