Shoutbox

Thread Query - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Thread Query (/showthread.php?tid=52789)

Thread Query by Mentality on 11-09-2005 at 11:43 AM

When going back to a thread that you have previously posted in, sometimes if alot has been said, it's hard to find your last post, is there a link, or could there possibly be a link that directs your to your last post in the chosen thread?

This way you know what has been said since your last visit, and you don't have to flick through the pages trying to find you last post.

I know that i could simply try to remember the page number, but when you have posted in a number of threads this can become quiet confusing, any other ideas would be much appreciated also.

feel free to call me dumb :D

RE: Thread Query by Stigmata on 11-09-2005 at 11:47 AM

I've seen this feature on other boards...

RE: Thread Query by Anubis on 11-09-2005 at 11:50 AM

Click on your profile, across from Posts click "Find", look for the post and click on it, when you do, make sure you don't scroll and it will automatically find your post (the closer to the top the newer the post).

Another method can be to click Search, at the top of any forum page then.
- Type in the name of the thread in keywords
- Type your username in the username field
- On "Search In" select subjects
- Click Search.

Now select the post you wish to view (the closer to the top the newer the post), and do not scroll while the page loads, and it will move the page to the exact post.

It's not exactly what you want (as it takes slightly longer) but it gets the same results.

RE: Thread Query by Mentality on 11-09-2005 at 11:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Click on your profile, across from Posts click "Find", look for the post and click on it, when you do, make sure you don't scroll and it will automatically find your post (the closer to the top the newer the post).
Thats Great, it will serve the purpose I was looking for, thanks Anubis

although it would be better if there was a simpler feature (if possible, don't wanna dwell on this)for instance......

[Image: attachment.php?pid=562820]

:D
RE: Thread Query by Tochjo on 11-09-2005 at 12:23 PM

You can click the [Image: newfolder.gif] icon (and similar icons) in the thread listings to go to the first unread post since your last visit.

RE: Thread Query by Mentality on 11-09-2005 at 12:25 PM

thats fine, but im meaning to go back to your own personal last post.

what anumbis told me was fine, but im just tryna think simple lol

RE: Thread Query by Tochjo on 11-09-2005 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
This way you know what has been said since your last visit, and you don't have to flick through the pages trying to find you last post.
Clicking the icon I pointed out will put you right in that place, just before 'all what has been said since your last visit'.
quote:
thats fine, but im meaning to go back to your own personal last post.
I don't really see the need for this; Anubis' method seems to work well enough.
RE: Thread Query by Mentality on 11-09-2005 at 12:31 PM

Anubis method is what I wanted, it's just seems to be a long way round. I don't know how many people would agree with me on that, but it was just a thought. anyways, the ideas there. it was certainly worth putting forward.

RE: Thread Query by Lou on 11-09-2005 at 02:49 PM

its cause our boards are still old:P mybb now has a number in every post @ the top right that says uour post number in that thread and it is also a link, so you can just bookmark that link:P

RE: Thread Query by Mentality on 11-09-2005 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
its cause our boards are still old:P mybb now has a number in every post @ the top right that says uour post number in that thread and it is also a link, so you can just bookmark that link:P

but to keep bookmarking would be so annoying, is there any chance this might be a feature in the future, i spose i could live without it for now :P

RE: Thread Query by ddunk on 11-09-2005 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
This version does too. Click the date/timestamp under your avatar and postcount.
RE: Thread Query by qgroessl on 11-09-2005 at 03:38 PM

lou_habs just wants the upgrade to the newer MyBB :p...

quote:
feel free to call me dumb

You're dumb :refuck:...... just kidding... But I do like the idea... even though there's already a solution
RE: Thread Query by Mentality on 11-09-2005 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
You're dumb ...... just kidding... But I do like the idea... even though there's already a solution
:lol:

Me to, it would just make things a little simpler'
RE: Thread Query by -dt- on 11-09-2005 at 10:26 PM

suprised no ones shouted greasemonkey yet this would be a fair simple script

when someone clicks  the special  "view your last post in this thread" button that the script will add
download http://shoutbox.menthix.net/basicsearch.php?action=search&uid=USER_ID
find what thread the person was going to vist
do a quick regexp to find the correct #pid
redirect the person to that post.

RE: Thread Query by WDZ on 11-10-2005 at 04:52 AM

:dodgy: -dt- :dodgy:

I wouldn't mind adding a new function to showthread.php to find a member's last post in a thread. There's already a way to find the last post board-wide (example), so limiting that to a specific thread wouldn't be difficult.

As for adding a link to the new function, well, maybe dt should handle that. :refuck:

quote:
Attachment: Demo.png (124.26 KB)
lol! That's the worst link placement suggestion ever... :|
RE: Thread Query by WDZ on 11-10-2005 at 05:38 AM

OK, I did the coding...

Usage example: showthread.php?action=lastpost&tid=48930&uid=4

:spam:

RE: RE: Thread Query by Mentality on 11-10-2005 at 10:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
:dodgy: -dt- :dodgy:

I wouldn't mind adding a new function to showthread.php to find a member's last post in a thread. There's already a way to find the last post board-wide (example), so limiting that to a specific thread wouldn't be difficult.

As for adding a link to the new function, well, maybe dt should handle that. :refuck:
quote:

:lol: I aint no designer thingy person so shurrup!
[Image: attachment.php?pid=563113]

RE: RE: Thread Query by rav0 on 11-12-2005 at 05:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

I'd like to see it replace or go next to the current last post link, just go to first unread.
RE: Thread Query by Th3rmal on 11-12-2005 at 05:24 AM

that would be a good suggestion, especially with really popular/busy topics (eg. Windows Live Messenger (New official name for MSN Messenger 8.0)) which has 20 pages. another suggestion is that you can make specific threads have more priority, like mayb you could have the threads that you visit most in the different sections or all of them in the latest post section at the top underneath the stickeys, then the rest of the threads in the usual order, if any1 knows what i mean...

RE: Thread Query by -dt- on 11-12-2005 at 05:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I'd like to see it replace or go next to the current last post link, just go to first unread.
something like...

code:

var lastLinks = document.evaluate('//a[contains(.,"»")][contains(@href,"showthread.php?tid=")]', document, null, XPathResult.ORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null);
var href;

for(var i=0;i<lastLinks.snapshotLength;i++){

href = lastLinks.snapshotItem(i).getAttribute('href');
lastLinks.snapshotItem(i).setAttribute('href',href+ '&uid=4');
}

would do that...

GM script: http://darktempler.be/msgplusforumlastpostthin.user.js