Shoutbox

[adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... (/showthread.php?tid=52857)

[adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... by qune on 11-11-2005 at 06:59 PM

hey... anyone familiar with the adware described in the topic?.. i tried to remove it with ad-aware - no success... same goes for hijack this... the process seems to recreate itself after termination... google also gave non-specific results on that matter, so anyone who has experienced the problem I'm dealing with, please share your comments and suggestions...

thanks in advance, qune...

RE: [adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... by absorbation on 11-11-2005 at 07:22 PM

If it is adware it should some with an uninsatller either on its own or with the program it is bundelled with.

Somethimes you may need to try it in safe mode. It is the recommened way to remove adware as scanners usally do not remove them right.

RE: [adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... by Chris4 on 11-11-2005 at 07:28 PM

1. Go on Task Manager [ctrl alt del], select pokapoka79.exe and click End Process. If you have any trouble, download Process Explorer and do the same thing to end the process.

2. After you've found out where it is located, delete it and remove from recycle bin. If you don't know where it's located, go Start > Search and search for pokapoka79.exe, then delete it and remove from recycle bin.

Any trouble? Just post here and i'd be happy to help :D

edit: pokapoka79.exe is EliteBar Adaware. This was brought up at Google Answers. They reccomend doing a Trend Micro Free Online Scan to remove it.

RE: [adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... by Mike on 11-11-2005 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris4
1. Go on Task Manager [ctrl alt del], select pokapoka79.exe and click End Process. If you have any trouble, download Process Explorer and do the same thing to end the process.
This probably won't work because:
quote:
Originally posted by qune
the process seems to recreate itself after termination...

RE: [adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... by Chris4 on 11-11-2005 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
This probably won't work because:
quote:
the process seems to recreate itself after termination...

That's why I reccomended Process Explorer which [I beleive] solves this problem.

If not.. do what Absorbation said and go into Safe Mode and delete the file completely.
RE: [adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... by qune on 11-11-2005 at 07:43 PM

safe mode didn't produce any results either... is the somekind of removal tools for this?.. I don't mean spyware removing programs but specific tools... thanks...

RE: [adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... by Chris4 on 11-12-2005 at 04:54 AM

quote:
safe mode didn't produce any results either.
You get no results when searching for pokapoka79.exe ?

quote:
is the somekind of removal tools for this?.. I don't mean spyware removing programs but specific tools... thanks...
Found one! :)
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Sp...lbar-Remover.shtml

Tell me if it works..!
RE: [adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... by KRMalko on 11-13-2005 at 06:30 AM

i had the same problem on a friends machine lately, that there was some tasks running restarting each other...

when removing, i first found some new services in service-manager which i stopped and disabled... after that - common removers where successful, resp. deleting corresponding entrys in registry (incl. the services) did.

i used all staff, adaware, spybot s&d and hijackthis to locate the trouble.

do not ask me in deed, but it was some work to get the machine fully clean again...
(some services entrys, some protected folders in windows, some run/runservives entrys, some BHO entrys...)

(i don't know wether the remover in above link does fully the same successful, i did not know/find it that time, also internet connection was disturbed/slowed deeply down)

good luck

RE: [adware] help on removing pokapoka79.exe... by qune on 11-14-2005 at 06:16 AM

quote:
Found one! :)
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Sp...lbar-Remover.shtml

Tell me if it works..!
thanks man, top notch...;)