Shoutbox

Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 (/showthread.php?tid=52867)

Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Hank on 11-12-2005 at 01:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zdnet.co.uk
Companies shouldn't rush to upgrade to Microsoft Windows Vista, according to analysts at Gartner, who believe most firms could safely hold back until 2008.

The majority of improvements in Vista will be security-related and most of this functionality "is available via third-party products today", Gartner claimed in a research note published on Friday.

While Vista will feature "offer incremental, evolutionary improvements" over its predecessors, XP users should "pursue a strategy of managed diversity" only bringing in Vista on new machines and not until 2008, the analysts recommend.

In its research note, Ten reasons you should and shouldn't care about Microsoft's Windows Vista client,  Gartner highlights some of the weaknesses in Microsoft's platform strategy.

Internet Explorer (IE) 7 will have many security improvements "to stem defections from IE to Firefox" and "has been accelerated" to be delivered in early 2006. But the "important ability to restrict some browser activities to a lower privileged process" will not be available because it requires Vista functionality," cautioned Gartner.

The analysts acknowledged that companies who use IE7 and Vista will have fewer points of weakness.

Also on the security issue, the Windows Vista personal firewall is better than the one included in XP Service Pack 2, Gartner acknowledged, and will, crucially, improve security on inbound and outbound traffic — a particular issue with laptops. But, the analysts say, users should already have "a more than capable" firewall on their laptops anyway.

Another Vista feature that Microsoft is emphasising is its search capabilities. "Search is slow in Windows XP and files, email and calendar objects cannot be found with a single search." While Microsoft has tried to remedy this in Vista, "competent third-party desktop tools are already available" from companies like Google, Gartner pointed out.

Source info
RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by user27089 on 11-12-2005 at 01:24 AM

That is like 3 years away, it annoys me when they keep delaying stuff like this, why can't they just stick to a deadline, I understand that there will be problems with the code etc. Surely, they should be qualified enough to be able to code something that works properly for once, how many people do they have on their team, probably a few hundred, I'm sure they could sort some fixes out between them...

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Hank on 11-12-2005 at 01:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
That is like 3 years away, it annoys me when they keep delaying stuff like this, why can't they just stick to a deadline, I understand that there will be problems with the code etc. Surely, they should be qualified enough to be able to code something that works properly for once, how many people do they have on their team, probably a few hundred, I'm sure they could sort some fixes out between them.
im with you there but Due to this Being the Real first release of 64Bit Operating software for Microsoft, i can see why they wanan delay a few things, but in another way, i'd have to agree with the Gartner  Report, in some cases,  i think its best over all that it is delayed but to also Miss a release candidate to make up for the Delay is a Bad thing,  you dont see Redhat or Novel or any other company doing anything like that,

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by guanako on 11-12-2005 at 02:04 AM

i read that a neowing long time ago, it like wat happend with xp, some comapnies still are under millenium edition or even w98, as long as they dont really need it they wont upgrade.

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by thc2010 on 11-12-2005 at 03:49 AM

ill probly dual boot vista instead of upgrading from windows xp. Besides, its alwase better to start fresh from the OS instead of upgrading.

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by surfichris on 11-12-2005 at 03:51 AM

guanako hits the nail right on the head. Firstly, this is old news and more importantly, this is how any decent orginisation works. Before upgrading to a new OS they have to test to ensure that it'll work correctly along side their requirements.

Any company who decide to rush ahead and do something like this without testing are idiots when they realise things won't work.

One of my clients is a large corporate network (500 or so PC's in the office - 200 laptops etc) and they upgraded to Windows 2000 for their desktop machines in 2003. The same goes for the New South Wales [state in Australia] Department of Educaiton & Training. Windows 2000 became standard back then and Windows XP about halfway through last year.

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Th3rmal on 11-12-2005 at 04:59 AM

this will be a setback to some people as they have been using the vista beta version and will be wanting to see more of it. I for one wouldve liked to see it come out sooner but i understand why they want to delay the process. they have to get everything right to get the most out of it. i just hope that it actually does come out sooner than that date. ive also read that there is going to be about 6 versions compared to xp's 2 versions but i am not sure about it.

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Mentality on 11-12-2005 at 10:13 AM

Vista Runs real crappy on my pc, so I'll will get a new PC with it built in when they come out I reckon, Or simply get a new PC with XP and dual boot anyways. (I hate Microsoft for delays, they do it to us all the time. it sucks, get off your asses an just do it already).

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by saralk on 11-12-2005 at 10:21 AM

quote:
That is like 3 years away, it annoys me when they keep delaying stuff like this, why can't they just stick to a deadline, I understand that there will be problems with the code etc. Surely, they should be qualified enough to be able to code something that works properly for once, how many people do they have on their team, probably a few hundred, I'm sure they could sort some fixes out between them...

you misread it, this is something that a third party company reccomended, not Microsoft.
RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Hank on 11-12-2005 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
you misread it, this is something that a third party company reccomended, not Microsoft.

i think Trax knows that eh,  all traxor was saying was "why cant Microsoft get there act together " in simple terms  not stating  that Microsoft wrote or said what i posted,
RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by saralk on 11-12-2005 at 11:18 AM

but he also talked about a delay, this article mentions nothing about delays.

I think that the article is a very poor article, instead of having 10 different programs installed on an XP machine, surely it would be easier and faster to maintain a system where only 1 program is installed (i.e. Windows)

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Mentality on 11-12-2005 at 11:31 AM

They say don't install Vista yet then continue to tell you about all the VERY significant upgrades for it, i.e:- IE7 is a great web browser so you should downoad it, only problem is, it's only really safe if you use it with Vista as important controls can only be configured on the Vista OS, The firewall has some very crucial updates, but XP's firewall shud just about cover you if you don't use the internet for the next 3 years (at least thats what they may as well have said.)

Why say don't buy it yet, then continue to sell the product by stating all it's advantages, do these people even know what they where talking about?

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Anubis on 11-12-2005 at 11:37 AM

I totally agree that companies should wait a few years before upgrading to Vista.

While in the BETA phase it doesn't matter how much testing is done, it will never show up all the bugs. All the big problems seem to show themselves up after a few months of public release, when everyone has either tried every piece of software you can think on it, or have really gone nitpicking on the Operating System.

I believe people shouldn't upgrade when it comes out for a while.

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Jhrono on 11-12-2005 at 11:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I totally agree that companies should wait a few years before upgrading to Vista.

While in the BETA phase it doesn't matter how much testing is done, it will never show up all the bugs. All the big problems seem to show themselves up after a few months of public release, when everyone has either tried every piece of software you can think on it, or have really gone nitpicking on the Operating System.

I believe people shouldn't upgrade when it comes out for a while.
Totally agree..
Companies need reliability, and they sure arent a thrilled 14 Year old who downloads betas :P..You cant ask a OS to be perfect when it's launched, like anubis said, even if a lot of beta testing was done..So let it come out, and when it proves it's decent, maybe companies will invest in it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
Vista Runs real crappy on my pc
Hint It's a beta version..

Though it can suck if your pc is really old 8-) which i presume it isnt, for you to be running windows xp
RE: RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by STA1661 on 11-12-2005 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
The same goes for the New South Wales [state in Australia] Department of Educaiton & Training. Windows 2000 became standard back then and Windows XP about halfway through last year.

Funny you mentioned that Chris because in some Universities I have been at (Here in Sydney, Australia) are still running 98 throughout the Uni. I did bring it to their attention that most schools are now using XP and they just didn't care. Also about 5 out of every 7 school's I go to at the moment have got XP running and It is hoped that every NSW school has XP within the next 6 - 12 months.
RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Mentality on 11-17-2005 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Though it can suck if your pc is really old  which i presume it isnt, for you to be running windows xp

It's quiet a good computer, but I think it has alot to do with my graphics card. Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440. 128mb ram 32bi 60hz. you tell me.

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Jhrono on 11-17-2005 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
It's quiet a good computer, but I think it has alot to do with my graphics card. Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440. 128mb ram 32bi 60hz. you tell me.

I think that a gfx card wont make windows run worse..

RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by lordy on 11-17-2005 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Deano
Funny you mentioned that Chris because in some Universities I have been at (Here in Sydney, Australia) are still running 98 throughout the Uni. I did bring it to their attention that most schools are now using XP and they just didn't care. Also about 5 out of every 7 school's I go to at the moment have got XP running and It is hoped that every NSW school has XP within the next 6 - 12 months.

my school doesnt even run windows, only on the office computers becuase they need it to run certain programs. all the computers in our school are the latest macs
RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by Mentality on 11-18-2005 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
I think that a gfx card wont make windows run worse..

Then it was certainly my processor since it was on a 1.4ghz at the time, I may try it again once this god damn new processor is fixed, my supplier gave me the 1.5ghz 2200+ sempron instead of the 2.2ghz was sposed to get. all this for BF2 I tell you!!!!
RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008 by x2zen on 11-18-2005 at 01:16 PM

quote:
it annoys me when they keep delaying stuff like this
Who said anything about a delay?