Shoutbox

Overcloacking problems? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Overcloacking problems? (/showthread.php?tid=52888)

Overcloacking problems? by YottabyteWizard on 11-12-2005 at 05:58 PM

For the first time I overcloacked my AMD 2500+ 1.86GHz to 2.3GHz (11x 166 FSB -> 12x 185), the system looks like it can run perfectly, but a file windows system file got corrupted, is this normal and one of the risks when overcloacking, or my speed is too high? Because i've seen people how can get this same CPU to 3.0 GHz aprox. :O Overcloaking experts suggestions?

Now Q2: Do anybody knows of a good offline translating software? I just found some programs but requiries internet connection:@

RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by n0n4m3 on 11-12-2005 at 09:12 PM

Hi,
first is overclocking not overcloacking :P normally files don't get corrupted by overclocking. Two things you have to be careful is CPU overheating and it may cause failures on windows (but not corrupting files unless the computer freezes when writing a file).

As for the dictionary, try power translator pro.

RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Choli on 11-12-2005 at 10:10 PM

n0n4m3 is right. Overclocking shouldn't cause corrupted files. Also, if you increase a 10% or 20% your CPU speed, it shouldn't be a problem, either. Just be sure you have a good fan.

RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by YottabyteWizard on 11-12-2005 at 10:54 PM

I do have a good fan, also manual velocity panel. The thing is the temperature is controlled, but when loading up windows or even closing windows (OS) the system freezes up and the auto-reboots, but when playing or just going around Windows nothing happens. I'll try going around 10%-20% and see how it goes... Thanks both of you :)

RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Jhrono on 11-12-2005 at 10:54 PM

By the way..I have a Intel P4 2.8 Ghz that's normally on 51ºC / 123 F and the motherboard it normally at 32 ºC / 89 F (I have asus probe to see those stuff)..So i'd like to know if i could overclock my processor..for like 3.0 Ghz..Is that easy to do ? I know zilch about Overclocking..

RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by YottabyteWizard on 11-12-2005 at 11:09 PM

2.8 to 3.0 is easy, no problems. But be sure your computer has a good fan anyway.

RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Jhrono on 11-12-2005 at 11:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard

2.8 to 3.0 is easy, no problems. But be sure your computer has a good fan anyway.
It's easy ? Great :tongue:
I have 2 fans, one that came originally and i installed other myself..they both work perfectly..can you give me a link to a guide so i can do it :p?
RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Apatik on 11-13-2005 at 12:26 AM

Blah, don't forget to lock the AGP/PCI frenquency to 66/33MHz, otherwise it will increase along with the FSB's, and you might get your data corrupted (as IDE frequency depends on PCI's)...

Second thing, to know if an o/c is really stable, just booting windows and messenger isn't enough. You should "burn" (load the CPU with heavy tasks to test its stability) the CPU with a software like SuperPI or OCCT (or CPU Burn, etc.).

Third thing, a fan is a thing, a heatsink is another :p (even if you put a fan on a heatsink, haha), but yeah, avoid overheating you CPU.  (use monitoring software such as Motherboard Monitor, Everest, Speedfan, etc.) An "acceptable" CPU temperature under full load would be around 60 to 70°C (less is better).

RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by paperless on 11-13-2005 at 12:52 AM

Im not a CPU overclocker but i read a lot and... Johny your CPU is kinda hot in idle..I dont suggest you to OC it..

Yottabyte if your computer freezes or reboots thats a common symptom of overheating, offcourse your computer doesnt when you are normally working with window because it isnt in stress.

And not all processors are equal, just because your friend got his processor, which is exactly like yours, to XGhz it doesnt mean yours will too.

RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Choli on 11-13-2005 at 01:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
Second thing, to know if an o/c is really stable, just booting windows and messenger isn't enough. You should "burn" (load the CPU with heavy tasks to test its stability) the CPU with a software like SuperPI or OCCT (or CPU Burn, etc.).
apart from that, i'd also suggest to make a test of the memory. That will test the cache of the processor as well as the FSB, connected to the main memory. If you've overclocked the CPU incorrectly, there may be errors accessing the memory and that would cause the PC to reboot. With a test you can detect it. Look at http://www.memtest86.com/
quote:
Originally posted by paperless
And not all processors are equal, just because your friend got his processor, which is exactly like yours, to XGhz it doesnt mean yours will too.
so true... it also depends on your motherboard, ram manufacturer, and a long etc...
RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Apatik on 11-13-2005 at 01:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli

apart from that, i'd also suggest to make a test of the memory. That will test the cache of the processor as well as the FSB, connected to the main memory. If you've overclocked the CPU incorrectly, there may be errors accessing the memory and that would cause the PC to reboot. With a test you can detect it. Look at http://www.memtest86.com/
yeah, that's true :p but http://www.memtest.org/ > memtest86 :)
RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Choli on 11-13-2005 at 01:57 AM

quote:
yeah, that's true  but http://www.memtest.org/ > memtest86
:lol: I've just googled "memtest 86" and picked up the first result :P... but you'r right
RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by YottabyteWizard on 11-13-2005 at 06:24 AM

quote:
Blah, don't forget to lock the AGP/PCI frenquency to 66/33MHz, otherwise it will increase along with the FSB's, and you might get your data corrupted (as IDE frequency depends on PCI's)...
I see, maybe that's the problem, as I said before, even when I'm booting up the system might freeze up and reset, even when the CPU is cold (im running MBM and PC Alert) both give the same results (58-60 C), for this reason i know it's not an overheating issue.
I'll try locking up AGP/PCI freq too, should i let DDR freq in automatic too?
And one more thing, the CPU voltaje normally (without OC) is 1.66v, i locked it to 1.65v... so it won't keep changing.
RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Plik on 11-13-2005 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
And one more thing, the CPU voltaje normally (without OC) is 1.66v, i locked it to 1.65v... so it won't keep changing.
that maybe the cause of the freeze's, when you overclock the cpu needs more power, so increasing the voltage will make it more stable. Although like all other things when overclock just increase it it small steps until you get a good result. And dont increase it to much otherwise you will fubar your cpu.
RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Death001 on 11-13-2005 at 09:48 AM

upping the FSB and downing the voltage is a seriously stupid this to do since the system needs more power the more you over clock, doing can cause you system to crash, overheat or files to corrupt. if you over clock your CPU's FSB to 180mb you need to also over clock you ram to because if your CPU is trying to communicate with you ram at its speed of 180 and it can only handle 160 then your going to loose data, and cause over heating because it has to over work and that’s bad. So you need to make sure you ram is clocked at the same sped as your CPU or to a ratio, a ratio of 1:0.8 is normally good.

when your over clocking and your using a air cooling (a fan) you should always keep the voltage standard to start off with then increase you FSB a little test it increase it more till it becomes unstable. when it becomes unstable you should either raise the voltage, but if you having an over heating problem then its best not to do this because it causes a lot more heat, so you should just take it back to were it was stable and your done you've reached you over clocking limit, but if not raise the voltage then increase the FSB till it because unstable again and repeat till you reach the FSB limit or heat limit.

Of coarse if its over heating you could just cool it better, water cooling is what most people go for as its a lot cheap then most over methods plus it works good. But I won’t go into that because my post is long enough

All processors are different, DIFFERENT, just because someone you know got a certain speed doesn’t mean your processor will hit the same speed because there all different

Note: over clocking may cause your system to not last as long or over heat and die if this or any thing like this happens after following what I have said in my post its not my fault.

RE: RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Apatik on 11-13-2005 at 02:22 PM

wow, there as much true things as wrong ones in Death001's post :x

quote:
Originally posted by Death001
upping the FSB and downing the voltage is a seriously stupid this to do since the system needs more power the more you over clock, doing can cause you system to crash, overheat or files to corrupt.

Increasing the FSB while decreasing the voltage is nonsense and leads to earlier instability, right. But i can't see why downing the voltage would cause overheating -_- A simple FSB O/C is pretty much harmless and does not generate much extra heat, but even a little increase of voltage will make your CPU a lot hotter. And heat is the enemy #1, and may shorten your hardware's life. BTW, 60°C @ idle is a lot too...
The power supply unit can be a limiting factor too, watch for the voltages while burning your CPU ;) (core voltage, +3.3V, +5V and +12V rails).
quote:
if you over clock your CPU's FSB to 180mb you need to also over clock you ram to because if your CPU is trying to communicate with you ram at its speed of 180 and it can only handle 160 then your going to loose data, and cause over heating because it has to over work and that’s bad. So you need to make sure you ram is clocked at the same sped as your CPU or to a ratio, a ratio of 1:0.8 is normally good.

Blah, you don't NEED to O/C the ram, as it already depends on FSB... But, as said by Choli earlier, it can be a limiting factor and can cause instability, so you should test it too. And I don't know where you got this data loss theory, if you O/C too much the ram, nothing will work, and that's all.
The ratio thing is useful if you absolutely want to increase the FSB at higher speeds than supported by your memory. (for example, with a 1:0.8 ratio, the FSB will be 250MHz while the ram will still operate at 200MHz) But it won't always improve your computer's performances.
quote:
when your over clocking and your using a air cooling (a fan) you should always keep the voltage standard to start off with then increase you FSB a little test it increase it more till it becomes unstable. when it becomes unstable you should either raise the voltage, but if you having an over heating problem then its best not to do this because it causes a lot more heat, so you should just take it back to were it was stable and your done you've reached you over clocking limit, but if not raise the voltage then increase the FSB till it because unstable again and repeat till you reach the FSB limit or heat limit.

Agreed.
quote:
Of coarse if its over heating you could just cool it better, water cooling is what most people go for as its a lot cheap then most over methods plus it works good. But I won’t go into that because my post is long enough

Water cooling is not that easy to install, and is not cheap either. There are very good (and simple) air cooling solutions out there. You may want to have a look at Thermalright or Zalman products ;)
quote:
All processors are different, DIFFERENT, just because someone you know got a certain speed doesn’t mean your processor will hit the same speed because there all different

Already said in previous posts, but still true...
RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Nathan on 11-13-2005 at 02:27 PM

Ok I have a 1045mhz amd and its temp is 30C Do you reckon i could?

RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by YottabyteWizard on 11-13-2005 at 10:35 PM

I read on some forums that increasing my CPU voltaje to 1.70 or more muight burn the CPU. That's the reason of my desicion, but I'll try also increasing a lil bit the voltaje and see how it goes.

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
Ok I have a 1045mhz amd and its temp is 30C Do you reckon i could?
I think you might be able to increase to around 1100-1150 mhz only your CPU.
RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating by Death001 on 11-14-2005 at 06:08 AM

over clocking the ram means your processor and ram are communticating at the speed meaning it increases the speed evenly