Shoutbox

NTSC to PAL - DVDs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: NTSC to PAL - DVDs (/showthread.php?tid=52953)

NTSC to PAL - DVDs by user27089 on 11-14-2005 at 05:35 PM

My cousin has bought (legitimately) the entire Series 1 of Lost when he went to America. Is there anyway, that I can burn the DVD, but change the format from NTSC to PAL when doing this...

I know about decoders and stuff, but that is just hassle and it takes a long time...

RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by Savior on 11-14-2005 at 05:44 PM

Yes you can but it can take a long long long long long time.  I tried to do it a few times and it took forever.  Your best bet is to buy a dvd player that will play both NTSC and PAL DVD's.  There is one by a brand called diamond.

For ways to convert try these links:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%22ntsc+to+pal%22&meta=

RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by Caboose on 11-14-2005 at 08:26 PM

You can use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD to your hard drive (which will remove the region & copy protections in the process), then you can burn the resulting files to a DVD.

RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by aNILEator on 11-14-2005 at 11:09 PM

or DVD Shrink to make it region Free + NTSC/PAL Automatic plus its easier than dvd decrpyter

RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by Savior on 11-15-2005 at 02:28 PM

DVD Dycryptor and DVD Shrink won't change NTSC to PAL or visa versa they will just remove the region coding.

RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by linx05 on 11-16-2005 at 02:19 AM

It's a little dodgy converting to either one but it can be done. Are you sure your DVD Player can't play NTSC and PAL? Most players can. Check your manual just to be sure?

I was reading some tutorials about converting NTSC to PAL and visa versa yesterday actually. I'll find them for you and edit this post.

Site: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=56599

You can also edit the head in the DVD (after it has been copied onto your computer) with IFOedit. But you can't be sure it will work on all DVD Players.

Both ways are a bit dodgy. And you can't guarantee either way will give you a working DVD. You're better off buying a DVD Player which can play both PAL and NTSC. Most players can be bought cheap now days :)

RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by Savior on 11-16-2005 at 02:03 PM

Just like I suggested :D

RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by linx05 on 11-16-2005 at 02:58 PM

More or less ;)

RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by Anubis on 11-16-2005 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
I was reading some tutorials about converting NTSC to PAL and visa versa yesterday actually. I'll find them for you and edit this post.
That guide is for PAL to NTSC not the other way around. However you can use the same principle in reverse.
RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by user27089 on 11-16-2005 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
It's a little dodgy converting to either one but it can be done. Are you sure your DVD Player can't play NTSC and PAL? Most players can. Check your manual just to be sure?

Positive on this, all of the dvd players in my house can't play it...

quote:
Originally posted by Savior
DVD Dycryptor and DVD Shrink won't change NTSC to PAL or visa versa they will just remove the region coding.

So will it make it work on the DVD player or not? ^o)...
RE: RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by linx05 on 11-17-2005 at 05:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Positive on this, all of the dvd players in my house can't play it...
You could try the link I gave you (and reverse it - thanks for pointing that out Anubis ;)) or google it. But if I were you, I would buy another DVD Player.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
So will it make it work on the DVD player or not? ^o)...
No. What you are looking for is changing NTSC to PAL. That has nothing to do with region codes. For more info on region codes, see here. And for NTSC and PAL.
RE: NTSC to PAL - DVDs by Savior on 11-17-2005 at 03:56 PM

I tried it once with a version of Aviator I have in PAL I tried to convert it to NTSC and the quality was not that great and was cut off visually.  even though the PAL version was excellent quality.