Shoutbox

Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run (/showthread.php?tid=53028)

Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run by fatjoe on 11-16-2005 at 10:11 PM

Hey there.

had Xp pro running alright for almost a year then it screwed up and wouldn't boot after i deleted a registry key for an antivirus which wouldn't go away.

Anyway installed XP on top of it Removed existing windows folder (didnt format)

Most things back up and running now except when i run the installer file for msg plus the msn addon and I just hear beep, no error and no window opens. I tried downloading a fresh copy of the installer from the website but again a beep and no error nothing.

Anyway I'm just trying to find a way to view an error or something to tell me whats going on when i'm running the program? I've tried viewing the Events in the Windows Event Viewer in application section but there no log nothing. just soon as i open the file beep and nothing.

Is there any program you can use to help identify events or errors which occur when you open a file or program so I can at least get an idea of whats going on here?

Alternatively... Does anyone have any suggestions..?

RE: Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run by fatjoe on 11-17-2005 at 01:23 AM

Found this thread.

The only 1 person who's had this problem too - http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=46...d=479696#pid479696

I did uninstall windows messenger soon as I reloaded XP. Haven't actually reinstalled Msn 7 as it was running fine from the old program files folder.

Will attempt this when i get home.

RE: Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run by Hank on 11-17-2005 at 01:28 AM

when you say you installed XP, did you install XP over the top of a current installation?

RE: Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run by fatjoe on 11-17-2005 at 02:15 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED.

and this is a biggy

MSG PLUS INSTALLATION WILL NOT LOAD UNLESS MSN MESSENGER IS INSTALLED FIRST

This might sound dumb but this is still a major thing... I didn't get a single error to tell me what the problem was until i read the last post i linked to.

You may think oh well no biggy but HEY it happens.

patchou please fix this.... at least an error..

RE: Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run by mwe99 on 11-17-2005 at 02:22 AM

How can you expect it to install properly if you dont have the program it was designed for installed first :S

RE: Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run by fatjoe on 11-17-2005 at 02:30 AM

regardless. it should at least give you an ERROR. Dam that was annoying.

RE: Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run by ShawnZ on 11-17-2005 at 02:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fatjoe
regardless. it should at least give you an ERROR. Dam that was annoying.

It should have installed then errored at the very end afaik. Maybe just a bug?
RE: Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run by fatjoe on 11-17-2005 at 02:34 AM

possibly. oh well problem solved. hope anyone else having this problem searches & finds this thread :D

RE: Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run by Patchou on 11-17-2005 at 03:26 AM

True, the installer should have blocked you or it should have worked either way. I'll fix it :).

RE: Installed XP Pro again & now msgplus won't run by fatjoe on 11-17-2005 at 04:13 AM

good to hear ;)