Shoutbox

401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! (/showthread.php?tid=53220)

401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by Menthix on 11-23-2005 at 03:02 PM

I think all the signatures from the petition back in August had effect again :).

On September 23rd Microsoft Antispyware already stepped back by not detecting msgplus.exe in the realtime scanner anymore. It seems they made the next step a few days ago...

Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta) version 1.0.701 was released 11/21/2005. Today I tried it with the spyware definitions 5779. I had the realtime scanner on all the time (default settings).

• Messenger Plus! setup (MsgPlus-361.exe) is not picked up by AntiSpyware anymore (not by realtime scanner, not by full manual scan) :D.
  • Messenger Plus! itself is still not picked up by the realtime scanner (good, no change there).
  • Messenger Plus! is picked up as a moderate threat by a manual full system scan.
  • The Item Details text in a manual scan clearly states adware in the description (not spyware).
[Image: attachment.php?pid=568317]
If you want to try it yourself, download the latest version of Microsoft AntiSpyware here.

Nice to see how all our signatures seem to have effect. I wonder if Patchou ever had any official feedback from Microsoft?

And remember...
  • The sponsor in Messenger Plus! is (and always has been) optional.
  • If you don't like/want it, then just install Messenger Plus! without the sponsor.
  • If you installed the sponsor by mistake, then you can very easily uninstall the complete sponsor/adware with the Plus! uninstaller.
  • Patchou does not want to trick you on installing the sponsor. The sponsor doesn't pay him per install. They only pay when you actually USE the sponsor (ie searchbar, shortcuts on desktop).

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by DJKAL on 11-23-2005 at 03:37 PM

wooo hoooo :D glad to hear that mesg plus! is safe
i never had doubt - my PC ran fine with it installed so i didnt care :) i like plus! so  i kept it - i have always had faith!:P

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by absorbation on 11-23-2005 at 04:21 PM

Very good and important news. I will be posting this.

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by user27089 on 11-23-2005 at 04:25 PM

That's good I guess... Apart from where it says "it may require some of these components to function", what if some person deletes some malicious looking *.dll's?

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by John Anderton on 11-23-2005 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
That's good I guess... Apart from where it says "it may require some of these components to function", what if some person deletes some malicious looking *.dll's?
Yeah thats what im worried about too :-/
Anyways this is a good thing :)
RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by L. Coyote on 11-23-2005 at 05:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
A little at a time, I guess. This is another big step they took, and we should give them some credit.

Hopefully, more things will be cleared up. (Y)
RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by Matti on 11-23-2005 at 06:20 PM

Yeah! Microsoft did it! :D
All problems are fixed and MsgPlus!'s reputation is restored.

* Matti is happy with this news. :)

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by Fraisie on 11-23-2005 at 08:27 PM

That is great news !

Thank you everybody for your support ! Plus! would not be as big as it is today if it wasn't for all the help and support you guys bring :)

Thank you once again ! (y)

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by Negro_Joe on 11-23-2005 at 08:29 PM

Good News, i wonder hat patchou has to say about this...:)

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by Menthix on 11-24-2005 at 12:01 AM

I mailed him, so he will probably comment on it when he has the time :).

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by qgroessl on 11-24-2005 at 12:04 AM

Next step is for it to not be a moderate threat ;)... Then the next step after that should be not detecting it at all!... It's really no harm at all!

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by Mnjul on 11-24-2005 at 01:09 PM

That's a great piece of news... Now Microsoft finally know what they're doing ;P

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by ShawnZ on 11-24-2005 at 01:09 PM

I wonder if it actually detects the spyware though? =p

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by Menthix on 11-24-2005 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
I wonder if it actually detects the spyware though? =p
It asks you if you want to allow several programs in your startup when you install the sponsor, but i didn't see a real warning with the realtime scanner. Manual scan sees the C2Media package as a generic lop.com package (high threat).

But that has never been a problem, AntySpyware is right to at least warn when people install the sponsor.
RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by linx05 on 11-27-2005 at 02:57 PM

Wow very nice. They were all sent at once weren't they? Or gradually sent each day/week?

Nice work guys.

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by CookieRevised on 11-27-2005 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
Wow very nice. They were all sent at once weren't they? Or gradually sent each day/week?
See the links in the first post in this thread

----------

And sorry if I don't share the same enthiousiasm of this news, because:

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
* Messenger Plus! setup (MsgPlus-361.exe) is not picked up by AntiSpyware anymore (not by realtime scanner, not by full manual scan).
Errrmm... if there is one thing which nobody had a problem with than it was that the setup is picked up as a bundler!! Afterall, this is the only executable that contains bundled software and should be detected, not the rest (hence what the petition was about AFAIK)...

quote:
* Messenger Plus! itself is still not picked up by the realtime scanner (good, no change there).
Wasn't that one of the problems? That msgplus.exe itself was flagged (instead of the setup)? So it was changed?

quote:
* Messenger Plus! is picked up as a moderate threat by a manual full system scan.
Msgplus.exe has got nothing todo with the sponsor, so it shouldn't be detected, sponsor installed or not.

So, In my POV, not much has changed appart from removing the warning "a software budler is trying to install" when executing msgplus.exe. The logical and big issue isn't touched at all: that msgplus.exe is totally harmless and that it is only msgplus-setup.exe which needs to be flagged...
RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by Menthix on 11-27-2005 at 03:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Wasn't that one of the problems? That msgplus.exe itself was flagged (instead of the setup)? So it was changed?
That was already changed in the past. So no change there.

I agree, the biggest problem that remains is msgplus.exe still being detected (only in manual scan) as a threat, even when the sponsor wasn't installed at all.
RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by jren207 on 11-27-2005 at 08:57 PM

I'm glad to see that the great effort of many plus! users has not gone to waste and is still making sure that plus! is recognised for the great add-in that it is and not recognised as a threat. :)

RE: 401,683 signatures paid of, Microsoft AntiSpyware steps back AGAIN! by Chrono on 11-27-2005 at 10:18 PM

great news! (Y)