Shoutbox

file encrypting - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: file encrypting (/showthread.php?tid=53286)

file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-25-2005 at 12:51 PM

is it possable to encrypt the MY DOCUMENTS file on my pc?
i run XP HOME.
thanks guys!

RE: file encrypting by zaher1988 on 11-25-2005 at 01:32 PM

heloo there

yes it , use "CrypText" for that.

Regards

RE: file encrypting by CookieRevised on 11-25-2005 at 01:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
is it possable to encrypt the MY DOCUMENTS file on my pc?
i run XP HOME.
thanks guys!
- Go to the folder and right click on it.
- Then select properties and go to the second tab "sharing".
- Select the first checkbox there "Make a personal map from this map" (or something like that, I don't have an English version).

The map will automatically be encrypted for other Windows users, thus only you will have access to this map. Nothing else needs to be done, this is totally transparent; Every file you put in the map will automatically be "encrypted".

-----------

quote:
Originally posted by zaher1988
yes it , use "Cryptext" for that.
1) If you suggest a program, please also provide the proper link to the official homepage were that program can be found.
official homepage (is down atm): http://www.pcug.org.au/~njpayne
official ftp link: ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/crypt/utilities/file

2) He isn't asking for a file encryption utility, but to "encrypt" a whole directory and its subdirectories. And since this is already build in into XP (for certain maps) he doesn't need anything else.

3) I see you edited in a link. But that link you provided is NOT for the program but for an old DOS game! See the links I provided.

PS: Please, and this has been said before, it is good that you wanna help but do it in the proper way!! Otherwise please don't! I suggest to read the comments that others have given you in your reputation...
RE: file encrypting by Menthix on 11-25-2005 at 01:40 PM

There are alot of tools that can encrypt files for you.

"My Documents" is not a file by the way. It is a folder where files (and othe folders) are stored in. If you want to encrypt all files in there, then you need a tool that can encrypt entire folders at once.

A nice list of free file encryption tools can be found here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/security/fwencrypt_r.html

RE: file encrypting by Ezra on 11-25-2005 at 04:43 PM

You could also use RAR or 7zip, to encrypt a folder and also compress it for extra space.

RE: file encrypting by CookieRevised on 11-25-2005 at 04:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
You could also use RAR or 7zip, to encrypt a folder and also compress it for extra space.
If you're using XP, again you don't need any special program for this at all. Simply go to the properties of the folder again (right click on the folder) and click on "advanced".

In the new popup, select "Compress/Archive this map".

RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-25-2005 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
the new popup, select "Compress/Archive this map".
i cant find this :<
i did:
**right click** my docu,ents -> properties->general->advanced
there was no compress/archive this map - there was a compress folder to save disk space :S but that doesnt mean it becomes passwroed protected does it?
RE: file encrypting by Menthix on 11-25-2005 at 08:15 PM

quote:
there was a compress folder to save disk space
"Encrypt contents to secure data" should be right under it. Maybe it's a Windows XP Pro only thing (just a wild guess).
RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-25-2005 at 08:21 PM

yer it is ...BUT... it is in the faded grey so i cant click it - do i have to compress the files first?

RE: file encrypting by Ezra on 11-25-2005 at 11:47 PM

If it's faded that means you have XP Home I guess

RE: file encrypting by WDZ on 11-26-2005 at 05:41 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

The "Encrypting File System" feature is not included in Windows XP Home.

RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-26-2005 at 08:15 AM

oh - ok thanks :<

RE: RE: file encrypting by CookieRevised on 11-26-2005 at 03:58 PM

DJKAL, you might wanna re-read my posts...

---------------

quote:
yer it is ...BUT... it is in the faded grey so i cant click it - do i have to compress the files first?
We are not talking about the "Encrypting File System" option at all (which is only available in Pro as WDZ said). Menthix said that the option I was talking about is above that greyed out option, he didn't say it is that option.

quote:
quote:
the new popup, select "Compress/Archive this map".
i cant find this :<
i did:
**right click** my docu,ents -> properties->general->advanced
there was no compress/archive this map - there was a compress folder to save disk space :S but that doesnt mean it becomes passwroed protected does it?
No it doesn't. You are confussing things because of what others have said/suggested.

That specific reply was to what Ezra has said, not to you. (As for "there was no compress/archive this map", I previously said I dont have an English version, so I do know the exact phreasing).

1) You asked for a way to encrypt your Documents folder so others can't access it. I replied to that here and said that this is available already in Windows XP Hiome. (note that this option is NOT the same as the "Encrypting File System" option, neither is it the same as the "compress map" option)

2) Ezra suggested to use an archive program and zip everything up inside your documents folder. He said the advantage of that is that it will also take less space on the harddisk. I replied here that that too is possible without any external programs. This is something different than your question. Don't confuse the two.

------------------

1. To "encrypt" (aka lock) your Documents folder in Windows XP:
- Then select properties and go to the second tab "sharing".
- Select the first checkbox there "Make a personal map from this map" (or something like that, I don't have an English version).

2. To compress your Documents folder in Windows XP:
- Then select properties and go to the first tab "general".
- Click on "Advanced".
- In the new popup, select "Compress this folder" (or something like that, I don't have an English version).

Both options are available in ALL Windows XP verions, including Home Edition...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=569797]

RE: file encrypting by Menthix on 11-26-2005 at 04:57 PM

quote:
Menthix said that the option I was talking about is above that greyed out option, he didn't say it is that option.
Well, i did actually... the topicstarter asked for file encryption, what you describe just locks out other user accounts.
RE: file encrypting by CookieRevised on 11-26-2005 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Menthix said that the option I was talking about is above that greyed out option, he didn't say it is that option.
Well, i did actually... the topicstarter asked for file encryption, what you describe just locks out other user accounts.
yes and no

What I described will be the same as encrypting a folder. The result is exactly (well almost) the same: other user will not have access to the map/files.

If you make a map "personal", only you (who have logged in to Windows) will be able to access the maps and files within this "personal" map. Other Windows XP user will not be able to access it.

This option is only available for maps in your own user profile (thus:
My Documents, Desktop, Start Menu, Favorites and their submaps)

To make a submap or file available to other Windows users, you can drag a submap and/or file to the Shared map (or disable the option).

--

The "Encrypting File System" option (only available in Pro) does more than simply locking other Windows user out of the map... It is not a real option like other settings; it is a special file attribute, like you have read-only, archive, system, etc...

When a file or map has that special file/map attribute, the file or map will be coded using a special scheme. Only he who set the attribute will be able to decode the file or map again.

Since this is an attribute, and not an option, it is only applicable to 1 file or 1 map at the time (though you can set it for multiple files at the same time of course, just like all the other file attributes), unlike the "personalise map" option which goes for all submaps and files inside the personal directory.

This option is only available in Windows XP Pro and if you have the NTFS file system on your hard disk. If so, every file and map on your HDD can have this special attribute, thus not only the ones of your own user profile.

Also note that coded files or maps like that can not be compressed using that other option I talked about (option 2 in my previous reply).

--

To know more about certain options in Windows, you can always right click on them and choose "what's this?".
RE: file encrypting by WDZ on 11-26-2005 at 09:35 PM

quote:
In the English version it's simply "Make this folder private"

It just applies NTFS permissions to deny access... no encryption is done. I suppose it's just as effective though. :p
RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-26-2005 at 11:03 PM

nooo thanks for your help but its only me using my pc - supposdily and i dont need other accounts, and like the way it just logs me in instantly withput clicking anythig but i want to make sure no one is accessing my work and other files by encrypting the whole my documents folder

RE: file encrypting by CookieRevised on 11-26-2005 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
In the English version it's simply "Make this folder private"
Ah... thanks...

quote:
i want to make sure no one is accessing my work and other files by encrypting the whole my documents folder
In that case, simply add a password to your Windows account. That is why it is there for...
RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-26-2005 at 11:27 PM

quote:
In that case, simply add a password to your Windows account. That is why it is there for...
i said i didnt want to do this as i want to sign in auto like my pc does now - i just want that 1 file with a password
RE: file encrypting by CookieRevised on 11-26-2005 at 11:31 PM

If you do not protect your windows account with a password then any other method will not work as the people will still be able to log in into your account and thus access everything else anyways as if they were you.

Unless you use a 3rd party program to encrypt/zip/whatever your folders you want to protect, but that would require more than simply 1 click...

In the end, simply adding a password to your account is the most easy and effective solution without messing around with other stuff.

--------

quote:
i just want that 1 file with a password
This is much different than what you said before in context of the fastest/easiest solution...

Protecting just 1 file is something entirly different than being able to protect whole folders and several files and what not, on the fly or without much clicking and messing around.

If it is just 1 file, a file which you don't access that much, simply compress it and password protect it with an archive program.
RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-26-2005 at 11:32 PM

alright never mind then - il just delete stuff i dont want ppl to see

RE: file encrypting by Concord Dawn on 11-27-2005 at 05:40 PM

Cookie, zipping files into an archive and compressing them are two different things. Zipping files is much more effective at reducing size, and if you have the WinZip utility, it allows you to apply a 256-bit AES encryption to the archive, making it hard for people to get at what's inside the archive. Compressing them without putting them into an archive (disk compression) is an NTFS feature. As mentioned above, it's not as effective at reducing file size.

[Image: CompressionCompare.png]

I know that .01MB isn't that big, but I was compressing JPG images, which is already a compressed format, so there isn't much change. But in any case, it still shows that NTFS compression isn't as good as WinZip(or WinRAR) compression

RE: file encrypting by Ezra on 11-27-2005 at 06:41 PM

Do considder that the encryption of .zip files is more easily brute-force hacked than for example .rar, but if you use a password with over 8 characters it won't matter much.

RE: file encrypting by Jhrono on 11-27-2005 at 06:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra

Do considder that the encryption of .zip files is more easily brute-force hacked than for example .rar, but if you use a password with over 8 characters it won't matter much.
Brute force takes ages :P
RE: file encrypting by Menthix on 11-27-2005 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Brute force takes ages
Just a few hours with a good automated tool when the password isn't to long and no weird characters are used.
RE: RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-27-2005 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Brute force takes ages
Just a few hours with a good automated tool when the password isn't to long and no weird characters are used.

dont think my family are rllly that arsed {or would no how to do it!:P} to break into my pc files
RE: file encrypting by Ezra on 11-27-2005 at 09:29 PM

If you have a good tool and the password is not longer than 6 chars then it's a matter of hours :P, Good tools can get up to a couple million passwords a second.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=570496]

RE: RE: file encrypting by CookieRevised on 11-27-2005 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
Cookie, zipping files into an archive and compressing them are two different things.
Yes I know...  We are also talking about two different things here: compressing data and encrypting data. Reread the thread from the beginning ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
Compressing them without putting them into an archive (disk compression) is an NTFS feature. As mentioned above, it's not as effective at reducing file size.
It is almost equaly effective! Especially if you compare it to the zip method; Both use almost the exact same methods of compressing. (hence why zipping is nativly part of Windows XP; it uses the same libraries) You might wanna study the technical compression algorithems used by Winzip (see the PKZIP consortium for that) and the nativly windows compression algorithems (look up the source for uncompressing packed windows files).

What you showed in your screenshots doesn't say a thing I'm afraid. The sizes shown there in the red rectangles are the normal, uncompressed sizes, not the true sizes on the disk after compression.

--------------

This thread is seriously going in all directions except towards the real problem/solution... Why do people rather make it difficult for themself instead of using already available stuff??????
RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-28-2005 at 04:04 PM

quote:
This thread is seriously going in all directions except towards the real problem/solution... Why do people rather make it difficult for themself instead of using already available stuff??????
agreed!
il re-ask the question and see if anyone can help me then as it will be clear - maybe!

is it possable to passoword protect my 'my documents' folder using windows XP home edition.
i dont want to password prototect my whole user account as i liike the convenience of being logged in automatically upon booting windows.
RE: file encrypting by andrewdodd13 on 11-28-2005 at 05:41 PM

It's actually *slightly* harder than that to prevent other users from accessing My Documents, as I found out the hard way.

The easy way is to boot into safe mode and log on as Administrator, because this account usually doesn't have a password and can usually access all the files.

The harder way is to use a linux boot disk, but as you say your family isn't going to do this to check up on you :).

Basically, without a single-file encrypter, or XP Pro's builtin functions, actually *Encrypting* the files will be impossible. All you're doing is restricting access, which can be pretty easily circumvented.

P.S. Try:
Start -> Run. Type "cmd". Now type (replacing <user> with your username):
cacls c:\documents and settings\<user>\My Documents /G <user>:F

This should prevent even Administrator from opening the folder :).

RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-28-2005 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
P.S. Try:
Start -> Run. Type "cmd". Now type (replacing <user> with your username):
cacls c:\documents and settings\<user>\My Documents /G <user>:F

This should prevent even Administrator from opening the folder .
no it says "the paremeter is incorrect"
:S
RE: file encrypting by andrewdodd13 on 11-28-2005 at 08:53 PM

That's a bit strange. Are you sure you're entering the command correctly? For example, I've just tried this out:

code:
cacls "Songs 4 Mel.zip" /G Andrew:F

Which prints out that only I can access Mel's songs ;).

If I wanted to protect My Documents  (maybe its the missing ""'s, not sure):

code:
cacls "c:\documents and settings\andrew\my documents" /G Andrew:F

RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-28-2005 at 08:55 PM

quote:
That's a bit strange. Are you sure you're entering the command correctly? For example, I've just tried this out:

code:
cacls "Songs 4 Mel.zip" /G Andrew:F

Which prints out that only I can access Mel's songs ;).

If I wanted to protect My Documents  (maybe its the missing ""'s, not sure):

code:
cacls "c:\documents and settings\andrew\my documents" /G Andrew:F

ok so i copied your text and out it in "run" chanigng 'andrew' to 'calum' and the "run" box dissappeared - good or bad?

but i dont think this is what i want as i need it to stop opening my documents with out typing in a password
RE: file encrypting by andrewdodd13 on 11-28-2005 at 09:13 PM

Well it's possible that it ran, but it usually says "Please Confirm", but you could paste it into the cmd line and see what the output is from there.

But, to simply password protect a single folder on windows is a pain, I don't think an advanced method is avalible, however I did see a cool little javascript custom folder, but it was easily by-passable, a quick google didn't turn up anything I'm afraid though.

RE: file encrypting by DJKAL on 11-28-2005 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Well it's possible that it ran, but it usually says "Please Confirm", but you could paste it into the cmd line and see what the output is from there.

But, to simply password protect a single folder on windows is a pain, I don't think an advanced method is avalible, however I did see a cool little javascript custom folder, but it was easily by-passable, a quick google didn't turn up anything I'm afraid though.
:'(:'(:'(:'( ok thanks :'(