Shoutbox

Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* (/showthread.php?tid=53293)

Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by albert on 11-25-2005 at 05:18 PM

well, have you guys ever done it?

Im actully trying mine now and I was trying to see if you guys had any special tips I could use from older experiences.

This bridge thing is pretty common in a lot of countries, so I'm sure a lot of you already done it.. :)

thanks in advance :)

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by ibisdevil2 on 11-25-2005 at 05:23 PM

Wats does this involve actually?
What are the competion's rules?
(Very confused)

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by NiteMare on 11-25-2005 at 05:26 PM

i know in grade 5 we build toothpick bridges with a hot glue gun

to treated it like an actual constructions site, with "checks" and cost for toothpicks and all taht

ours was able to hold the weight of a full grown male human

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by albert on 11-25-2005 at 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ibisdevil2
Wats does this involve actually?
What are the competion's rules?
(Very confused)

Ehh it has to be able to stand a distance of 40 CMs and cannot weight more than 100grams.

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
ours was able to hold the weight of a full grown male human

I KNOW :| Its quit amazin what can be done!
RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by .Roy on 11-25-2005 at 05:41 PM

I did this too, but i forgot what was the trick. But if you dont waste points on getting lots of tooth pics then i suggest you use as many toothpics until u reach 95 grams. Make the best of what u have.

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by qgroessl on 11-25-2005 at 06:00 PM

the lower it is to the ground the better... that's all I really know... and for it to have to be that long you'd need supports in the middle :p... remember... sometimes the simpliest design is the best.

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by Reaper on 11-25-2005 at 06:14 PM

apparently, using triangles on the SIDE part gives strength for example

--------
^^^^
--------

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by expert on 11-25-2005 at 07:01 PM

using finished toilet paper rolls for support on  the bottom :)

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by DJKAL on 11-25-2005 at 07:47 PM

youl need to have many cross braces, iv drawn a simple design in pain as an eg. its crap ino but its only to show what i mean:P.

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by The Napster on 11-25-2005 at 08:35 PM

Man whe had to do this in Design tec, ours held like 32 or so kilos... Use hard borad paper to make joints, prefereably in froms of traingles...

Dunno if it will halp, btw DJKAL's design should work, we used it also.

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by prashker on 11-25-2005 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Napster
prefereably in froms of traingles...

Triangles stop Torsion...

I would say try and make as many triangles as possible. But not everywhere.
RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by TheGeek on 11-25-2005 at 08:50 PM

Practice on BSC II :p

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by wj on 11-25-2005 at 10:14 PM

Use some Carbon Fiber! It's damn strong stuff. Use that for the road and base supports and you'll be good to go.

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by qgroessl on 11-25-2005 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Use some Carbon Fiber! It's damn strong stuff. Use that for the road and base supports and you'll be good to go.

And! If you have a weight limit... carbon fiber is extremely light! Sorta expensive I think though.
RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by NiteMare on 11-26-2005 at 05:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Use some Carbon Fiber!

lol, yah i jus tgot tons of that laying around the house:P
RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by kittymew on 11-26-2005 at 06:05 AM

The best bridges at a minium weight are toothpick bridges that are truss bridge designed.

The best way to design your bridge is to first look at the different types of bridges built by engineers today.

[url] http://www.brantacan.co.uk/truss.htm[/url] for some excellent theory and examples.
Don't use the wimpy toothpicks that you typically find in the grocery store. Coloured cocktail toothpicks are very strong and make for a good structure. These are usually found in the picnic or party section of your grocery store.
Good glue is a necessity for strong toothpick structures. Use a fast-drying epoxy type glue for maximum strength and workability. Wood glues are also good, but take a long time to set. If you decide to use epoxy, be very careful with it. don't use SuperGlues,they're expensive& do not have good long-term strength and will not give you the best results on porous, wooden sticks.
If you do choose to use the wooden ones,You can also soak the toothpicks to make them bendy..if needed..:)

RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by NiteMare on 11-26-2005 at 07:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
You can also soak the toothpicks to make them bendy..
steam them:), makes them stay in that arch if you bend them once steamed
RE: Mini Bridge Construction Competition *sigh* by ~INVASION~ on 11-26-2005 at 07:11 AM

make the bridge very low to the ground! small supports in the middle, the closer to the ground the better, i sugest takking construction paper and folding it then roling it up, try and crush it, its nearly impossible because they are compacted to their maximum already