Shoutbox

Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? (/showthread.php?tid=53394)

Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 09:37 PM

Do you guys think its illegal to picklocks as a hobby or just plain teaching/telling people how to picklocks and/or carrying lockpicks around? What do you think?

Canadian & United States Law

quote:
PART IX OFFENCES AGAINST RIGHTS OF PROPERTY
Breaking and Entering
Possession of break-in instrument
351. (1) Every one who, without lawful excuse, the proof of which lies on him, has in his possession any instrument suitable for the purpose of breaking into any place, motor vehicle, vault or safe under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the instrument has been used or is or was intended to be used for any such purpose, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 351; R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 48.

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Jhrono on 11-27-2005 at 09:39 PM

what's a lockpick ?

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by user27089 on 11-27-2005 at 09:42 PM

Well, if you're just doing it for leasure and are not going to use the lockpick to break the law, then I think it is fine.

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
what's a lockpick ?

"Picking" a lock is when you manage to open a lock without a key, a lockpick is a tool which allows you to do this.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Lou on 11-27-2005 at 09:43 PM

quote:
what's a lockpick ?
usually a little piece of metal you can insert into a lock to imitate having the key, thus opening the lock.

I think that you should be allowed to have one if you really want to. If you want to secure your stuff, don't use a cheap lock. Use something that's going to be alot harder to open using a lockpick [like a dna identifier lock;)]

No really, I think that law is stupid.
RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 09:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
quote:
what's a lockpick ?
usually a little piece of metal you can insert into a lock to imitate having the key, thus opening the lock.

I think that you should be allowed to have one if you really want to. If you want to secure your stuff, don't use a cheap lock. Use something that's going to be alot harder to open using a lockpick [like a dna identifier lock;)]

No really, I think that law is stupid.

correct, but to simply put it,
Lockpicking is the Manipulation of the mechanism inside the lock cylinder to open the lock using a torque wrench and a lockpick without the use of a key.

Its like picking your nose, if youve picked your nose before you can simple remove the bugar by placing your finger in your nostrills and taking the bugar out.

Anyways, the reson I wanted to know everyones opinion is so that i can get ready to explain my self to my english teacher why lockpicking isnt illegal but burgualry is.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Jhrono on 11-27-2005 at 09:53 PM

Are you guys stupid ?

quote:
If you want to secure your stuff, don't use a cheap lock
You must be an asshole.

You buy a lock, you buy any lock, you can even buy a 50c lock...Anyone who picks it should be prosecutted for doing so!it's a crime
AND THE LOCK'S QUALITY HAS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Stigmata on 11-27-2005 at 09:57 PM

it depends on the reason for picking the lock

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Jhrono on 11-27-2005 at 09:59 PM

you can't pick a lock unless it yours or if it has a nuclear bomb within the container period :P

RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Are you guys stupid ?
quote:
You must be an asshole.

You buy a lock, you buy any lock, you can even buy a 50c lock...Anyone who picks it should be prosecutted for doing so!it's a crime

Ohh your 100% wrong about this, Quality of the lock has something to do with it, with cheaper locks, you don't even need to Pick the lock, you can just bypassit by looking for inperfections the manufacturers didnt want you to know about. Also, if you but a lock thats worth more, it will be designed to keep out beginer lockpickers.. some locks in europe actualy are upside down, so thier pins are litraly upside down. So if you used a lockpick gun or a bumping method that exploits newtons law (newtons cradel concept) it will be imposible for anyone to pick that lock using the bumping method or a lockpick gun. So the cost of the locks you buy is Worth it!

Locks are primarly used too keep people out, and if you pick a house door open, your insurance agency cant do anything about it becuase they'll just say "You left your door open, im sorry, I cant cover your losses"

why? thats becuase there is no evidance left if you were to pick a lock for burgulary reasons. If they used a brick to open a window then your insurance agency will cover you.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Lou on 11-27-2005 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Are you guys stupid ?
quote:
You must be an asshole.

sorry then8-)

What I meant is, if all your doing is opening the lock, and then closing it again, fine. If you're stealing, far from fine. I didnt mean it to be like that.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 10:14 PM

louhabs is somewhat right when he said "If you want to secure your stuff, don't use a cheap lock"

If you're into lockpicking you'll know that the Bumping meathod works best on expensive locks lol however, its the oposite with the raking or bouncing meathod of picking a lock.

if you don't want kids breaking into your house use an electroic lock, if you wanna keep profesional theafs out of your home, buy security guards a camera, lazer sensors and a dog... a lock will not stop an organized thief from breaking into your house, it will only slow them down.. or just live inside the bank vault or a jail cell.

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by matty on 11-27-2005 at 10:31 PM

I think if you can prove what your picking the lock of is your own possesion then its fine but other then that I think its a criminal offence.

HowStuffWorks Lock Picking

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Negro_Joe on 11-27-2005 at 10:34 PM

i can pick locks...:\

i played splinter cell...:D

RE: RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by CookieRevised on 11-27-2005 at 10:38 PM

quote:
I think that you should be allowed to have one if you really want to.
That's BS... for what legit reason should you have a lockpicker?????

quote:
Originally posted by thc2010
Anyways, the reson I wanted to know everyones opinion is so that i can get ready to explain my self to my english teacher why lockpicking isnt illegal but burgualry is.
lockpicking IS illegal if the intention is to break in, just as it is stated in the law which you quoted.

quote:
quote:
Ohh your 100% wrong about this
He's 500% correct in that! Breaking in is illegal, it doesn't matter if it was a cheap lock or not. Heck, even if it wasn't locked at all, it is not legal to break in other people's properties...

quote:
Locks are primarly used too keep people out, and if you pick a house door open, your insurance agency cant do anything about it becuase they'll just say "You left your door open, im sorry, I cant cover your losses"
True, but that certainly DOES NOT make it legal to break those locks!!!

quote:
What I meant is, if all your doing is opening the lock, and then closing it again, fine. If you're stealing, far from fine. I didnt mean it to be like that.
Stealing hasn't got anything to do with it. Breaking in on itself is illegal.

---------

quote:
Anyways, the reason I wanted to know everyones opinion is so that i can get ready to explain my self to my english teacher why lockpicking isnt illegal but burgualry is.
don't bother, reread the law you just quoted, it clearly says everything.....
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by matty on 11-27-2005 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
i can pick locks...:\

i played splinter cell...:D
Picking locks in Splinter Cell is jevenille at best. Its much harder to actually do it in real life, it seems easy but its not. I have tried with my house while standing inside lol.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by dotNorma on 11-27-2005 at 10:40 PM

I dont think it should be illegal to pick locks. My next door neighboor learned to pick locks over the summer and its extremely useful. Ive locked myself out of my house so many times and been able to get back in.

There really isnt much of a point of banning the carrying of lock picks because it takes too much time to do and any average criminal would just break a window. :-/

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

For locking yourself out of your house or such, which I do on a monthly basis. Keep it in your back wallet.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 10:52 PM

wow someones got an asshole syndrome 2day.
Lets correct you... Cookie.

quote:
He thinks... which meens, he's opinionating, it doesnt the world works that way. Also, its not illegal in some countries to have a lockpick set keep that in mind. But then again, you can turn just about anything into a lockpick set if you use comon sence. So they cant realy charge you for having a saftey pin or a screw driver around lol.

quote:
lockpicking IS illegal if the intention is to break in, just as it is stated in the law which you quoted.
Dude, lock picking isnt illegal. Burgulary is, did you read what I said properly? I lockpick tumbler locks for a hobby, that doesnt meen im doing something illegal. Just becuase I know how to cut bread with a knife doesnt meen im gona go out and cut flesh. Its the same concept with knowing how to pick a lock, jest becuase I know how to doesnt meen im gona go out into the real work and steal some stuff just for fun.

quote:
He's 500% correct in that! Breaking in is illegal, it doesn't matter if it was a cheap lock or not. Heck, even if it wasn't locked at all, it is not legal to break in other people's properties...
Read before you opinionate, he ment, keeping people out is better if you have a better lock thats expensive.

quote:
True, but that certainly DOES NOT make it legal to break those locks!!!
I don't know if your were just agreeing to sound smart but no where did I say that breaking into those locks are legal. I said it before and ill say it again, Lock picking isnt illegal, Burgulary is... if you pick a lock thats lockpicking, if you pick a lock for fun, that's a hoby, if you pick a lock to break into someones house, thats a crime.

also, i take back what I said, your not an asshole, your just trying to be a wise ass :P
RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Norma
I dont think it should be illegal to pick locks. My next door neighboor learned to pick locks over the summer and its extremely useful. Ive locked myself out of my house so many times and been able to get back in.

There really isnt much of a point of banning the carrying of lock picks because it takes too much time to do and any average criminal would just break a window. :-/

quote:

For locking yourself out of your house or such, which I do on a monthly basis. Keep it in your back wallet.

I don't carry lockpicks in public period lol, i dont wanna be fined for posesion.. I just carry things that I can turn into a lockpick set.. lick a screw driver and a saftey pin.

For me, I just make my picks using a hacksaw blade and griding them down to the proper shape then using them untill it breaks/wears down. Other than that.. :D lockpicking is fun, sometimes i'll even pick in the toilet while im taking a dump. Or pick a lock while im driving and see if I can pick a lock before the trafic light turns from red to green.. its all fun :D

I find it amusing how somepeople think your a crazy criminal, just becuase you know how to pick a lock. Lock picking isnt rocket science, it just takes practice
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by kittymew on 11-27-2005 at 11:05 PM

If you unlock something in anyways or means.without the item's owner permission..its illegal.:)
unless a person is at risk from injury to themselves or others then you may break a lock to put person/persons out of risk,only then.

note:"the owners permission"
:)

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by CookieRevised on 11-27-2005 at 11:11 PM

quote:
wow someones got an asshole syndrome 2day.
also, i take back what I said, your not an asshole, your just trying to be a wise ass :P
Ah, So now you're flaming me without any reason? I was friendly before and just stated objective stuff... but ok.... let's play the wise ass then...

quote:
quote:
Dude, lock picking isnt illegal. Burgulary is, did you read what I said properly?
Did you read what I've said?: ...if the intention is to break in...

quote:
quote:
Read before you opinionate, he ment, keeping people out is better if you have a better lock thats expensive.
you read again in what he said: ...Anyone who picks your lock should be prosecutted for doing so! it's a crime...

enough said...

PS: double posting is also against the rules
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 11:13 PM

I wasnt flaming lol! Im not gona play wise ass with you becuase your the king of that already so no thnx.

and the reson i said: "Read before you opinionate, he ment, keeping people out is better if you have a better lock thats expensive." was becuase your telling me something compleatly difrent to what louhabs ment.

...if the intention is to break in... Ok, so why would you say this again if I already said it 3 times before you said it already along with 2 others whove made this point already before i made this point? Obviusly your just acting smart :P and repeting what they said.

lmfao "PS: bieng a jerk is againts the rules" hahahahah
I double posted becuase I don't know how to quote another person within the same thread.

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by CookieRevised on 11-27-2005 at 11:24 PM

quote:
and the reson i said: "Read before you opinionate, he ment, keeping people out is better if you have a better lock thats expensive." was becuase your telling me something compleatly difrent to what louhabs ment.
lou_habs also didn't read properly what Johny said and thus replied with something wrong.

Again and to recap...

If you want to secure stuff buy an expensive lock. BUT, even if you did buy a cheap one, NOBODY has the right to lockpick it. Heck, even if you did NOT locked it at all, it is illegal to break in. And you do not need to steal anything, breaking in is illegal on itself. Lockpicking a lock which is NOT yours is illegal; it does not matter if the lock is a cheap one, it does not matter if you close it again, it does not matter if you steal anything, it does not matter if you even enter the locked room...

quote:
...if the intention is to break in... Ok, so why would you say this again if I already said it 3 times before you said it already along with 2 others whove made this point already before i made this point?
reread your own thread dude
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 11:26 PM

dude, just give it a damn rest will you, your like a damn annoing tick that wont go away till he knows his better than everyone else. If you want I'll say it for you. "cookie is smarter than me" there does that make you happy? :P Anyways...

So to narow it down from what ive read so far:
Lockpicking = legal
Burgulary = illegal

anyone wanna argue that locpicking is illegal should know that lockpicking is similar to knowing how to kill someone, Just becuase you know how to kill someone doesnt meen your gonna go out and kill people. Lockpicking is a skill just like reading or Language arts. The way you use it is what makes it legal or illegal. With Languange art, if your a lawyer.. you can manipulate a lie to sound like the truth even though you know that its wrong

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by CookieRevised on 11-27-2005 at 11:28 PM

:rolleyes:
Lockpicking = legal ONLY IF THE LOCK IS YOUR OWN JUST AS THE LAW SAYS

quote:
dude, just give it a damn rest will you, your like a damn annoing tick that wont go away till he knows his better than everyone else. If you want I'll say it for you. "cookie is smarter than me" there does that make you happy? :P Anyways...
FYI, I posted 1 time with my own replies just as everybody else did in this thread. It was not me who started to be the smart ass here. If you reply to my post in the way you did, I have all the right to correct the misreading and confussion...

In other words: it is not me who is "damn annoing tick that wont go away". If you wouldn't have replied in the way you did, I would not have bothered posting and certainly would not needed to repeat what I said before.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by ShawnZ on 11-27-2005 at 11:30 PM

quote:

Locksmith?
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 11:32 PM

Like i said before, lockpicking only defines what your doing, not what you plan on doing.
ie: lockpicking is a skill, burgulary or theft is a choice you made to make your skill usefull.

but ill give you credit for reminding people that just becuase you know how to pick locks doesnt mgive you the right to use it sencelessly

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Menthix on 11-27-2005 at 11:35 PM

quote:
anyone wanna argue that locpicking is illegal should know that lockpicking is similar to knowing how to kill someone
I think some people forget there are 2 types of lockpicking.

- You can lockpick houses, cars and everything that don't belong to you, which is clearly illegal.
- You can also lockpick the lock of your own door, or even a lock that doesn't even lock anything, just for fun... like playing a puzzle. I don't see how it would be illegal as long as it's your own lock and it's not locking anything that doesn't belong to you.

And rember... simple things as a paperclip can already be used as a lockpick, nobody ever got screwed for carrying on of those around :).

EDIT: Just realized i'm repeating most of what people already said here :s.
* Menthix reminds himself to read better next time.
RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by CookieRevised on 11-27-2005 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Locksmith?
Yes, but even a locksmith can not lockpick a lock which isn't his without a good reason (aka: just for fun or to practice or whatever). Although he might say he is a locksmith on duty, if he acts suspecious the police have every right to arrest him too, just as everybody else. Even a locksmith has not much reason to always carry the tools just because he is a locksmith...

And as far as I know Lou_habs isn't a locksmith....
RE: RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 11:39 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

Locksmith?
Even a locksmith can not lockpick a lock without a good reason (aka: just for fun or to practice or whatever). Although he might say he is a locksmith on duty, if he acts suspecious the police have every right to arrest him too, just as everybody else.

he's quoting
"That's BS... for what legit reason should you have a lockpicker?????" :P so he's simply saying Locksmiths have legit reson to have lockpicks your getting into a compleatly difrent topic again *-)

quote:
And rember... simple things as a paperclip can already be used as a lockpick, nobody ever got screwed for carrying on of those around
I find making picks out of paperclips imposible to do... i've tryed them, mybe im just not experianced enought but they alwase seem to bend on me.. whats your say on this?
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by CookieRevised on 11-27-2005 at 11:42 PM

quote:
he's quoting
"That's BS... for what legit reason should you have a lockpicker?????" :P so he's simply saying Locksmiths have legit reson to have lockpicks
FFS dude, can you stop being so... annoying? Reread the quotes PROPERLY and put them in the RIGHT context instead of drawnig your own twisted conclussions.

REREAD (how many times did I already said that in this thread? :rolleyes:) what I said: Even a locksmith can not lockpick a lock which isn't his without a good reason
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Lou on 11-27-2005 at 11:42 PM

quote:
:rolleyes:
Lockpicking = legal ONLY IF THE LOCK IS YOUR OWN JUST AS THE LAW SAYS
actually you are allowed to lockpick someone's lock if they are in danger, or if they give you permission. Yes I know, Im repeating.

quote:
lou_habs also didn't read properly what Johny said and thus replied with something wrong.

Maybe not but I posted again, showing what I wanted to mean so dont go flaming me for it.

lockpicking =legal if you own it/have permission/someones gonna die if you dont
Knowing how to lockpick = 100% legal.
Stealing = 100% iligal.

edit:
quote:
there you go flaming me again. WHY ME?
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 11:44 PM

WTF Cookie! that is what he's saying?  LOL! Your the one reading peoples qutes the way you want it to be read. If im bieng annoing to you, simply ignore my posts.

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Jhrono on 11-27-2005 at 11:44 PM

quote:
actually you are allowed to lockpick someone's lock if they are in danger
That's discussable in court.
quote:
or if they give you permission
written permission yes.
quote:
Knowing how to lockpick = 100% legal.
Unfortunatly
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by CookieRevised on 11-27-2005 at 11:44 PM

quote:
WTF Cookie! that is what he's saying?  LOL! Your the one reading peoples qutes the way you want it to be read. If im bieng annoing to you, simply ignore my posts.

dude, I'm seriously loosing my patience.... The reason why I constantly need to repeat stuff (in different ways) is because of your replies and because you constantly misinterpret stuff being said or quote only half the stuff being said which leads to incomplete information.

quote:
quote:
Maybe not but I posted again, showing what I wanted to mean so dont go flaming me for it.
I didn't intended to flame you at all. Misreading can happen... (misreading all the time is something else :dodgy:)

quote:
quote:
there you go flaming me again. WHY ME?
:|  Since when is that flaming? aka: Since when is saying that you think that someone doesn't have a specific profession a flame?
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Menthix on 11-27-2005 at 11:46 PM

quote:
I find making picks out of paperclips imposible to do... i've tryed them, mybe im just not experianced enought but they alwase seem to bend on me.. whats your say on this?
I've seen a documentary on lock picking and see people do it. But they were skilled, a group of people that did it for fun and even held contests. And even those skilled people took it quite some time. And of course it just applies to some types of locks.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-27-2005 at 11:47 PM

Cookie, lets just call it a day and say were even, frankly i dont wanna flame on you for something stupid so lets call it a truce. Also, id like to thnk the people whose posted thier oopinion on lockpicking specialy cookie.. now I know how to argue my case to a teacher. Sieng that we already got our conclusion thanx to Louhabs i think its safe to close this thread if need be.

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
I've seen a documentary on lock picking and see people do it. But they were skilled, a group of people that did it for fun and even held contests. And even those skilled people took it quite some time. And of course it just applies to some types of locks.

wow, they must be using stiff peperclips then, cuz for some resons, I cant give enough presure to push the 5'th pin without making the paperclip bend. Unless thier picking a simple padlock, cuz I only tryed it on a deadbolt
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by illuzn on 11-28-2005 at 02:04 AM

For those of you who are saying you are allowed to break into somebody's house because they are in danger you are actually incorrect. You will always need the person in possession of the land (be it through fee simple or lease) to grant you permission to enter the land (this is known as a fee simple).

Ambulance workers, firefighters, electrical board members and all other people who do legally enter your land actually have a statute granted easement onto your land which gives them permission to enter your land while performing their duty (to cut a long story short).

At least that is the case in Australia; the only thing which would change this in any common law (deriving from the British legal system) jurisdiction is statute which says otherwise. But on a side note, the person in possession would be pretty cruel to sue you for saving their life and in any case would probably receive only nominal damages of $1.

Oh yes, and the mere act of picking another person's lock is clearly illegal provided you don't have permission. This is because you would be commiting conversion. That is, performing an act to a chattel (a thing) which is adverse to the owner's possession of that chattel.

And if that wasn't clear enough, in the statute you quoted actually spells it out. Let me translate it to layman terms,
If you don't have a good legal excuse (which can be proved by anything you have on your person), This might allow you to break into somebody's house to save their life. But why pick the lock and waste precious time when you could smash the window and get in there quicker

have any object which is capable of breaking a lock on a house, vehicle, vault or safe; Yes, this includes say a screwdriver or even a paper clip

and it is reasonable to see that the object has previously been used, or is to be used to break into a lock This is probably the part of the test that would fail for say a screwdriver, but if there is proof that the screwdriver you are using was used to break into somebody's lock (I can't see how you reasonably can infer that somebody holding a screwdriver will in the future break into a lock)

then it is illegal and indictable offence for which you can be jailed for upto ten years although that would obviously depend on how serious the crime is. If the US/Canada is anything like Australia you would probably get a slap on the wrist punishment

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-28-2005 at 03:19 AM

you can be jailed for upto ten years
Its actuly less than 10 years not atleast

quote:
is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

If the US/Canada is anything like Australia you would probably get a slap on the wrist punishment

I dunno about United States but in canada, you get like 3 years in jail for manslouger just by having legal aid... lol canada is alot more leanient towards criminals, Sad but its true...

And most of us like breaking into things using house hold items becuase you can dispost of them later on or even reuse them for your everyday task to cover up any evedance. ie: If you can pick a lock using bread then you can just eat the bread to get rid of the evidance.

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Snake on 11-28-2005 at 04:08 AM

I think it should be illegal because you are breaking privacy of people.

What do you plan on doing, robbing a bank or something?

[Image: tongue.gif]

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by qgroessl on 11-28-2005 at 04:19 AM

Should be illegal... but they should make it a sport!.... I want a olympic gold medal for lockpicking! :banana:

RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by illuzn on 11-28-2005 at 04:38 AM

quote:
quote:
is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

I do believe that is what upto means... lol ;)

quote:
If the US/Canada is anything like Australia you would probably get a slap on the wrist punishment

I dunno about United States but in canada, you get like 3 years in jail for manslouger just by having legal aid... lol canada is alot more leanient towards criminals, Sad but its true...

And most of us like breaking into things using house hold items becuase you can dispost of them later on or even reuse them for your everyday task to cover up any evedance. ie: If you can pick a lock using bread then you can just eat the bread to get rid of the evidance.

I dunno about manslaughter but i'm talking about things like break and enter which in Australia only attracts a good behaviour bond period and a fine usually, also possible community service. So for just picking somebody's lock i can't see anybody in Australia getting a hefty term in prison. More likely to get a good behaviour bond and maybe some community service
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by YottabyteWizard on 11-28-2005 at 04:41 AM

and then again, a lot of people said about this and sorry but I'm going to repeat. The whole point of the thread (as stated in the title): Knowing is legal, doing it without permission is illegal.

Like hackers. A lot of people love and find like a hobby hacking, just TO KNOW more about the computer/technology world, but hacking into computers is a problem, there are hackers who just know but don't use his knowledge for helping only, there are other hackers who just love to steal information, etc., it's exactly the same and lockpicking.

EDIT: And everybody (or almost) is correct, Cookie is stating perfectly, knowledge is legal and infiltrating personal stuff is illegal.

RE: RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-28-2005 at 04:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by illuzn
quote:
quote:

I do believe that is what upto means... lol ;)

quote:

I dunno about manslaughter but i'm talking about things like break and enter which in Australia only attracts a good behaviour bond period and a fine usually, also possible community service. So for just picking somebody's lock i can't see anybody in Australia getting a hefty term in prison. More likely to get a good behaviour bond and maybe some community service

OMG! you changed it! hahaha you said atleast b4.. you little bastard :P
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by illuzn on 11-28-2005 at 04:58 AM

Yes.. I have super l337 magic powers that can edit posts without myBB noticing :P

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by John Anderton on 11-28-2005 at 08:19 AM

quote:
Exactly. You pick a lock, you should be prosecuted. period
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by linx05 on 11-28-2005 at 11:00 AM

I remember I picked a lock before. It was one of those cheap ones and I just had a paper clip. It was pretty cool.

I wouldn't mind knowing how to pick a lock. In case I get locked out of my house or something.

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Jhrono on 11-28-2005 at 02:16 PM

anyway i had a few laying around(cheap ones) and i could open them with a paperclip..
The ones with combinations require no skill

a 4 number index : x y w z has 10 000 solutions

x = {0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9} and each one of the elements has 999 solutions on the following position. But there's one missing, the 000 one..
So : 999 x 10 + 10 (the ten 000 possible ones) = 9990 + 10 = 10 000 ..You've got to try 10000 combinations on a 4 positions-lock if you desperatly want to open it

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-28-2005 at 02:43 PM

lol johny ur so full of it lmfao!
any good lockpicker knows to use a damn padlock shims to open a padlock.. hahahahahhahaha

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by M73A on 11-28-2005 at 03:42 PM

hmm i remember lockpicking being a feature in the anarchists cookbook... along side making bombs and breaking into cars :dodgy:

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Nathan on 11-28-2005 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
it depends on the reason for picking the lock
Exactly, I have a draw in my room and it has £85 in and i have lost the key :@.
I havnt a clue how to pick locks so i cant help myself !!!
RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-28-2005 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Exactly. You pick a lock, you should be prosecuted. period

so if you were a locksmith and you picked a lock you should be prosicuted?
or if your picking a lock as a hoby, you should be prosicuted? be more specific.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by linx05 on 11-28-2005 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
hmm i remember lockpicking being a feature in the anarchists cookbook... along side making bombs and breaking into cars :dodgy:
Yeah I read it in there too. And to the person who pm'd me about how to pick a lock, ;);)
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Nathan on 11-28-2005 at 04:20 PM

That wasnt me :dodgy: :P

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Jhrono on 11-28-2005 at 07:28 PM

quote:
u picked a lock you should be prosicuted?
or if your picking a lock as a hoby, you should be prosicuted? be more specific.
Stop being an ass ?
Locksmith's do it for profession and to do it they SHOULD need a written permission ..
IF you are doing it as an hobby, what's the use ? Do you want to be a locksmith in the future or do you want to be a thief ?
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Negro_Joe on 11-28-2005 at 07:41 PM

quote:
IF you are doing it as an hobby, what's the use ? Do you want to be a locksmith in the future or do you want to be a thief ?

Oh yea, that makes sense.../

why do it as a hobby? its completly pointless...:S
RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-28-2005 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
quote:

Oh yea, that makes sense.../

why do it as a hobby? its completly pointless...:S

why do people make airplane models as a hoby? why do you collect coins and stams as a hobby? hobbies don't need a point or reson.. you just do it cuz its fun and its purly a hobby..
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-28-2005 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Stop being an ass ?
Locksmith's do it for profession and to do it they SHOULD need a written permission ..

well maybe you should of stated that into your post rather than making it seem like your saying what you just said. Im not bieng an asshole, it just seems that way becuase you choose to read my post in that way.. so its not my problem if my post go out sounding like im critisising you.. its up to the reader to creat the voice tone in thier head.

also, sry if i did sound like an asshole to you, i cant help what you can preject.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Jhrono on 11-28-2005 at 08:08 PM

quote:
why do people make airplane models as a hoby
you don't actually practice for stealing when making airplane models.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Plik on 11-28-2005 at 08:14 PM

quote:
quote:
why do people make airplane models as a hoby
you don't actually practice for stealing when making airplane models.
Who say's your going to steal if you learn to lockpick?
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Jhrono on 11-28-2005 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
Who say's your going to steal if you learn to lockpick?
so what's the definite use of that ?
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Plik on 11-28-2005 at 08:20 PM

As a hobby?

quote:
quote:
Umm some people like the challenge of beeing able to open locks. Just like somepeople like the challenge of making a php script, but that doesnt mean they want to become professional php coders in their life? A hobby isnt just means to learning skills you need in later life.

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Jhrono on 11-28-2005 at 08:25 PM

we remain on the same question :
An hobby that can turn in a malicious activity

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Plik on 11-28-2005 at 08:26 PM

quote:
we remain on the same question :
An hobby that can turn in a malicious activity
Like programing?

Btw, that isnt a question, its a statement
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Jhrono on 11-28-2005 at 08:34 PM

You can widelly use programming for a good activity but it's rare for a lockpicker to do so..

RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Plik on 11-28-2005 at 08:52 PM

quote:
You can widelly use programming for a good activity but it's rare for a lockpicker to do so..
rare? most people who lockpick dont use it do steal things. The morals of certain people shouldnt mean a hobbie should be banned. I mean look at shooting, lots of people have guns legally and dont threaten or injure humans with them, just because somepeople use them to shoot people should guns be outright banned?
RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by thc2010 on 11-28-2005 at 10:43 PM

quote:
quote:
rare? most people who lockpick dont use it do steal things. The morals of certain people shouldnt mean a hobbie should be banned. I mean look at shooting, lots of people have guns legally and dont threaten or injure humans with them, just because somepeople use them to shoot people should guns be outright banned?

coudlnt of said it better my self.
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal? by Pipish on 11-30-2005 at 07:21 AM

quote:
Ohh your 100% wrong about this, Quality of the lock has something to do with it, with cheaper locks, you don't even need to Pick the lock, you can just bypassit by looking for inperfections the manufacturers didnt want you to know about. Also, if you but a lock thats worth more, it will be designed to keep out beginer lockpickers.. some locks in europe actualy are upside down, so thier pins are litraly upside down. So if you used a lockpick gun or a bumping method that exploits newtons law (newtons cradel concept) it will be imposible for anyone to pick that lock using the bumping method or a lockpick gun. So the cost of the locks you buy is Worth it!

why? thats becuase there is no evidance left if you were to pick a lock for burgulary reasons. If they used a brick to open a window then your insurance agency will cover you.

sound quite the expert dont we:P

done a litte bit of lock picking have you

if you break into somthing thats not yours its agaisnt the law doesnt stop people from doing it though:P