Shoutbox

Full Screen to Window - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Full Screen to Window (/showthread.php?tid=53406)

Full Screen to Window by Joe on 11-28-2005 at 02:42 PM

Is there any program that lets you take a full screen program and make it in a window. "Mario Forever" changes resolution and makes itself full screen, I want to know if i can prevent this. there is no option in the game to do so.

RE: Full Screen to Window by MeEtc on 11-28-2005 at 02:50 PM

umm, use a virtual box?
If it's console, use dos-box http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
For windows, you can try http://bochs.sourceforge.net, but it's not worth the hassle of setting up a virtual OS to play a game on, or the degration in speed and clarity

RE: Full Screen to Window by kierant on 11-28-2005 at 03:17 PM

I use a program called Actual Window Manager that allows me to manipulate the way windows are opened and how they act etc. I'm not 100% that this will help with your full screen program but I'd definately recommend giving it a try.

http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/

RE: Full Screen to Window by stoshrocket on 11-28-2005 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joe cool
Is there any program that lets you take a full screen program and make it in a window. "Mario Forever" changes resolution and makes itself full screen, I want to know if i can prevent this. there is no option in the game to do so.

erm... if you have desktop icon i think you can change it, go to the desktop, right click on the icon, select properties, then under shortcut there is a target box. At the end of the stuff in the box i think there is a thing that says
code:
+menu 1 +fullscreen 1

you can simply change this to
code:
+menu 1 +fullscreen 0

im not too sure if this will work with your program but it works with battlefield 2 :D
RE: Full Screen to Window by TazDevil on 11-28-2005 at 05:43 PM

Have you tried

Alt+Enter

withing the game ?

RE: Full Screen to Window by M73A on 11-28-2005 at 06:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TazDevil
Have you tried

Alt+Enter

withing the game ?

whats it do? it doesn't do anything for me... (not playing a game and too lazy to start one)

i jus press the flaggy windows button thats next to ctrl and alt to goto windows *-)
RE: Full Screen to Window by Menthix on 11-28-2005 at 06:41 PM

If you press Alt+Enter from within a game, then it will change from fullscreen to windowed mode. Not all games, but you could give it a try with Mario Forever.

RE: Full Screen to Window by Joe on 11-28-2005 at 07:02 PM

I meant to say that i tried that, sorry. I've read that it may work, but no luck for me.

RE: Full Screen to Window by stoshrocket on 11-28-2005 at 08:53 PM

have you tried the thing wtih the icon code i posted earlier, that works for me

RE: Full Screen to Window by Chris4 on 11-30-2005 at 12:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2
have you tried the thing wtih the icon code i posted earlier, that works for me
Doesn't work with Mario Forever or another game I play..

I tried Actual Window Manager with Mario Forever, I get icons in the top right when in full screen but you can't click them.. And I get nothing for the other game..

I wish there was a program that was like firefox, with tabs, and instead of typing in websites you type in .exe's and you can open different games in each tab :P
RE: Full Screen to Window by RaceProUK on 11-30-2005 at 01:05 AM

The problem centres around how the system handles fullscreen. Fullscreen isn't in a window in the traditional sense: it's an overlay over the entire frame buffer. To switch the game from fullscreen (where it can use the GFX card directly) to a window (which can't, as Windows has to), you'll need to somehow force the game to output its graphics to a data buffer in memory, which them gets merged with Windows' own display data on the graphics card.

Doing this in software is not easy.

RE: Full Screen to Window by Chris4 on 11-30-2005 at 01:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
The problem centres around how the system handles fullscreen. Fullscreen isn't in a window in the traditional sense: it's an overlay over the entire frame buffer. To switch the game from fullscreen (where it can use the GFX card directly) to a window (which can't, as Windows has to), you'll need to somehow force the game to output its graphics to a data buffer in memory, which them gets merged with Windows' own display data on the graphics card.

Doing this in software is not easy.

Well I doubt anyone will do that... unfortunately...
RE: Full Screen to Window by zach on 11-30-2005 at 03:31 AM

Create a shortcut, right click on it and go to properties then the "shortcut" tab. Then go to target and put on the end of the target " -window" eg: D:\Games\Halo\halo.exe -window

RE: Full Screen to Window by Joe on 11-30-2005 at 03:36 AM

says path name is incorrect

RE: Full Screen to Window by zach on 11-30-2005 at 03:39 AM

Did you make sure there was a space between .exe and -window?

RE: Full Screen to Window by Joe on 11-30-2005 at 03:53 AM

I had to put it after the Quotations, BUT.... it still didnt change anything

RE: Full Screen to Window by RaceProUK on 11-30-2005 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
Create a shortcut, right click on it and go to properties then the "shortcut" tab. Then go to target and put on the end of the target " -window" eg: D:\Games\Halo\halo.exe -window
Which will only work for Halo (assuming it uses -window).
Each game will use its own option to force a window.
RE: Full Screen to Window by Chris4 on 11-30-2005 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
quote:
Originally posted by joe cool
says path name is incorrect

Zach, you forgot the "" try:
code:
"C:\Games\Halo\halo.exe" -window

Tried it with GunZ Online and Mario Forever, nothing different happened then usual, still fullscreen.

Which proves raceprouk's point..