Shoutbox

is it true about msn 8 for money - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: is it true about msn 8 for money (/showthread.php?tid=53445)

is it true about msn 8 for money by couragous on 11-29-2005 at 07:38 PM

there are rumors that msn 8 is for money,I was wondering whether its true or not?

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by DJKAL on 11-29-2005 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by couragous
there are rumors that msn 8 is for money,I was wondering whether its true or not?
what d'you mean?! we have to pay for it?!? :'(

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by absorbation on 11-29-2005 at 07:42 PM

quote:

It will always be free and anything you download that is'nt proabably is a virus. they make money from ad's
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Negro_Joe on 11-29-2005 at 10:31 PM

Yea and how many poeple would buy it anyway...:s

i mean, alot of users are just prepubescent kids, hoping to get someone to flash a nipple...:dodgy:

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by DJKAL on 11-29-2005 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
Yea and how many poeple would buy it anyway...

i mean, alot of users are just prepubescent kids, hoping to get someone to flash a nipple...
pmsl!! does it really work ? ;)

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by mwe99 on 11-29-2005 at 11:07 PM

NO

Microsoft have no plans to charge users for use of Messenger. They have optional premium downloads such as winks available at a cost. But the basic Messenger is free.

Any emails you receive on this matter are simply spam/junk mail/crap therefore don't send it to X amount of contacts.

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by expert on 11-29-2005 at 11:08 PM

quote:
well...where did you here that from?

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Salem on 11-29-2005 at 11:13 PM

quote:

No this is NOT true. Windows Live Messenger (MSN Messenger) will still remain Free to use.

I would suggest ignoring all those e-mails going around saying Microsoft will will be charging for the use of Messenger. It is totally untrue. Also, these emails have been going around for a few years now. If it was true, don't you think MS would have done it a long time ago?
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Hank on 11-29-2005 at 11:20 PM

quote:
first iv'e ever heard of any such rumour, but i highly doubt WLM would be a pay for service,
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by EvilSeph on 11-30-2005 at 12:09 AM

They already charge for MSN 8. And MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger generates revenue through their ads and premium content - as such, MSN 8, MSN Mesesnger and Windows Live Messenger are for money.

But, for the purpose of not confusing people, MSN Messenger can be used for free. Same with Windows Live Messenger. There is no service fee.

And to be picky, MSN 8 is something you have to pay for. It's also known as MSN Explorer. This is why I have been insisting that we use the correct terminology.

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Voldemort on 11-30-2005 at 02:26 AM

WlM8 is not for pay. Big Hoax

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by DJKAL on 11-30-2005 at 07:51 AM

awell even if it is pay for - i'll just stick 7.5 like a whole bunch of billions fo other peope, then wlm8 will be not very good as the features wont be supported by MSN7.5 or lower

but...

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
WlM8 is not for pay. Big Hoax

nice to know and fingers crossed allways!
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by EvilSeph on 12-01-2005 at 06:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
awell even if it is pay for - i'll just stick 7.5 like a whole bunch of billions fo other peope, then wlm8 will be not very good as the features wont be supported by MSN7.5 or lower

It is quite easy to force you to use the latest version. They've done it before and can do it again. If people were to stop removing the MSN Messenger ads, then the chances of Microsoft charging for MSN Messenger would be slim to none. Now, however, since people are removing MSN Messenger's primary source of revenue, the chances of them charging are higher.

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Hank on 12-01-2005 at 07:04 AM

Just use trillian or gaim if you dont like WLM8

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by DJKAL on 12-01-2005 at 07:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
It is quite easy to force you to use the latest version. They've done it before and can do it again.
:Ohow do they FORCE you to use the latest one?:S
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Plik on 12-01-2005 at 08:07 AM

quote:
quote:
It is quite easy to force you to use the latest version. They've done it before and can do it again.
:Ohow do they FORCE you to use the latest one?:S
WLM uses a different version of the MSN protocol to Messenger 7, so all they need todo is stop supporting the older protocol version (like they have done for all the older messenger versions)
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by DJKAL on 12-01-2005 at 08:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
quote:

quote:

how do they FORCE you to use the latest one?

WLM uses a different version of the MSN protocol to Messenger 7, so all they need todo is stop supporting the older protocol version (like they have done for all the older messenger versions)

oh :< well...fingers crossed it stays free! please!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by user27089 on 12-01-2005 at 08:12 AM

As said before, it will most probably always stay free, it has always been a free service and should stay that way. It's not as if Microsoft don't have enough money to pay the people who are creating the software anyway.

The only time we'll ever have to pay for it is if they bring out a premier service, where there are crap loads more features or something, and you pay like £1 a month ;p.

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by DJKAL on 12-01-2005 at 08:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
The only time we'll ever have to pay for it is if they bring out a premier service, where there are crap loads more features or something, and you pay like £1 a month ;p.

and if it's enough good features for £1 then i'm in!
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Th3rmal on 12-01-2005 at 08:46 AM

like many have said, these emails have been going around for a while now, i got one saying: "...if you dont send this message to 15 people of your contacts, you will have to pay for msn". They are all a BIG annoying hoax i reckon

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by onetouchspark on 12-01-2005 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
like many have said, these emails have been going around for a while now, i got one saying: "...if you dont send this message to 15 people of your contacts, you will have to pay for msn". They are all a BIG annoying hoax i reckon
lol that sounds like usual spam like 'if u don't send this to *** people u wont pass ur exams,or ur mum will die,or u will never find love' blah blah

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Sunshine on 12-01-2005 at 11:39 AM

quote:
If people were to stop removing the MSN Messenger ads, then the chances of Microsoft charging for MSN Messenger would be slim to none. Now, however, since people are removing MSN Messenger's primary source of revenue, the chances of them charging are higher.
Are you telling us Microsoft gets money for just displaying the ads on a users computer? Don't you have to click before they make money?

RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by DJKAL on 12-01-2005 at 01:36 PM

quote:

there's also some going aroung about hotmail account closure but it's all part of the same idea and hoax i spose.
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Salem on 12-01-2005 at 02:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Are you telling us Microsoft gets money for just displaying the ads on a users computer? Don't you have to click before they make money?

I'm sure it is possible that Microsoft gets payment just for having the advertisements displayed. Maybe this is the case and the get more payment per click?

This is just a guess
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by The Napster on 12-01-2005 at 04:17 PM

There's a Difference between MSN Messenger and just MSN. MSN is a service (Internet, Browser, etc) from MSN which, yes, is pay for (since version 8 actually). (Corrrect me if im wrong)

...But MSN (internet, etc.) is already at version 9, so maybe it is just a rumor you are talking about. Please state if it is Messenger or the internet service when talking about it.

RE: RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Pyro on 12-01-2005 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
Yea and how many poeple would buy it anyway...:s

i mean, alot of users are just prepubescent kids, hoping to get someone to flash a nipple...:dodgy:

to right you are :p

quote:
Originally posted by onetouchspark
quote:
lol that sounds like usual spam like 'if u don't send this to *** people u wont pass ur exams,or ur mum will die,or u will never find love' blah blah

TOTALLY AGREE!

if msn was really leaving us hotmail staff and msn staff could send a mass email, instead of sending it to other ppl and getting then to pass it on!
RE: RE: RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Salem on 12-01-2005 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YA_MUM
quote:
Originally posted by onetouchspark
quote:

TOTALLY AGREE!

if msn was really leaving us hotmail staff and msn staff could send a mass email, instead of sending it to other ppl and getting then to pass it on!

Yes, agreed with you. I never did understand why Microsoft wold ask you to send an email to alll your contacts to inform them about Messenger becoming paid, or that your Hotmail account maybe closed. Surely Microsoft could send the emails themselves.

*Oops, YAY_MUM & I just gave the spammers an idea:o
RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Jhrono on 12-01-2005 at 10:37 PM

That idea, already exists 8-)..

RE: RE: is it true about msn 8 for money by Salem on 12-01-2005 at 11:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
That idea, already exists 8-)..

lol, yeh i know:)