Shoutbox

Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger (/showthread.php?tid=53720)

Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger by Max on 12-08-2005 at 10:33 AM

So, I woke up about 30 minutes ago with a knock at the door. It was an Ebuyer delivery man coming to give me my Creative Portable Media Centre. It runs Windows Mobile, and thus I was wondering whether it is possible to put MSN Messenger or atleast Windows Messenger on it?

RE: Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger by RaceProUK on 12-08-2005 at 11:22 AM

Best way to find out: try it ;)

RE: Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger by Max on 12-08-2005 at 11:44 AM

I can't, well not for another 17 days. Its a Christmas present. :)

RE: Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger by TReKiE on 12-09-2005 at 09:38 AM

Unfortunately you can't.  PMC's aren't expandable nor are they really considered a "platform".  You can't even add codecs (no xvid, quicktime, etc.) and certainly you can't add additional software.

Plus, they don't have a network connection so it would be pointless.

RE: Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger by Max on 12-09-2005 at 04:38 PM

Okay. Thank you Mister Kay. Sorry to have bothered you all. :$

RE: Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger by TReKiE on 12-09-2005 at 05:09 PM

lol, everyone loves you Patches ;)

To be fair, if the PMC had WiFi and a touchscreen (or keyboard!), Messenger would be a great application for it.  Hopefully they'll even go in that direction in the future.

Still, the PMC can be useful and entertaining (I don't have one personally but I've used someone elses enough); have fun with it :)

RE: RE: Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger by Max on 12-09-2005 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TReKiE
lol, everyone loves you Patches ;)

To be fair, if the PMC had WiFi and a touchscreen (or keyboard!), Messenger would be a great application for it.  Hopefully they'll even go in that direction in the future.

Still, the PMC can be useful and entertaining (I don't have one personally but I've used someone elses enough); have fun with it :)

Thanks Jonathon. I have a feeling that you can get an adaptor which will allow WiFi - I think I saw it somewhere - as well as a Keyboard.

Oh and at the love thing, prove it TReKiE! :$
RE: RE: RE: Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger by TReKiE on 12-09-2005 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches

I have a feeling that you can get an adaptor which will allow WiFi - I think I saw it somewhere - as well as a Keyboard.
You're thinking of Pocket PC or Smartphone; just because it runs Windows Mobile, doesn't mean you can just randomly stick peripherals into it.  Windows Mobile is a modular base operating system, so you can build all sorts of things on top of it (from routers to exercise equipement to sewing machines) but each end product is radically different. 

I'm not sure if you've actually charged up/turned on your PMC, but you'll see that all you get is the standard Media Center user interface -- there's no start menu, no command line, no other way outside of the shell.  What would also be great (besides Messenger) is if they had games as well.  I really hope this is added in their next revision of the devices/software.

And, I don't even think anyone's put Linux on it [yet] :P

quote:
Oh and at the love thing, prove it TReKiE! :$

Well just check your reps! ;)  Sadly with my modest post count here I have yet to be able to lay down those highly important reps that some people well deserve.  Oh well, someday :)
RE: Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger by Max on 12-09-2005 at 10:44 PM

I am not allowed to boot it up until Christmas day, but thanks for the info. Also, I repped you - I wished you were my brother. :$

RE: Creative Portable Media Centre and MSN Messenger by TReKiE on 12-09-2005 at 11:36 PM

I don't have a brother, so I have no idea if I'd be a good one or not ;)

Well, I'll shut up about it then since you do want at least some bit of surprise on Christmas morning :)