Shoutbox

How do I watch an .avi file? [solved] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How do I watch an .avi file? [solved] (/showthread.php?tid=53740)

How do I watch an .avi file? [solved] by zach on 12-09-2005 at 01:52 AM

I can't get this working- http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=30487
I just hear sound but don't see the picture. How do I get it working?

RE: How do I watch an .avi file? by YottabyteWizard on 12-09-2005 at 01:56 AM

Download a codec pack from www.freecodecs.com (I recommend K-Lite codec Pack FULL) :) I'm 90% sure you can play the video with that

RE: How do I watch an .avi file? by zach on 12-09-2005 at 02:08 AM

[Image: error5jg.jpg]

RE: How do I watch an .avi file? by YottabyteWizard on 12-09-2005 at 02:24 AM

What the...? Well, the vidoe name includes the name of the codec (XviD (haven't check that)) But this standalone codec can be downloaded HERE

RE: How do I watch an .avi file? by SikStyles on 12-09-2005 at 02:39 AM

Get videolan player, it has its own codecs and it will most definitely play .avi as i just watched a clip which was .avi on it. Doesnt lag too.

Link to Google [Link] to choose a download website.

RE: How do I watch an .avi file? by *Saint* on 12-09-2005 at 02:44 AM

i have a bunch of .avi files and the only codec that i download was divx

RE: How do I watch an .avi file? by dotNorma on 12-09-2005 at 03:15 AM

I strongly suggest VLC Media Player for playing video media. It can play pretty much everything that wont play in anything else, and most likely uses less resources then your current media player.

Anyway, the reason the file wont play is because you do not have the required codecs to play the file. Codecs are the different type of ways audio/video is compressed by its authors. And of course, to decompress them you need the proper instructions to decompress them, fortunantly, VLC Media player has a large collection of methods for decompressing files of formats most of us have never even heard of.

RE: How do I watch an .avi file? [solved] by zach on 12-09-2005 at 04:37 AM

It's working now, but I don't know why it started working :P I installed VLC and disabled every option possible in quicktime (I think that must have been the problem) My quicktime is stuffed up. It only works in one account and I always get error messages.

RE: How do I watch an .avi file? [solved] by linx05 on 12-09-2005 at 11:16 AM

You might want to post the official site of the K-Lite Codec Pack: www.codecguide.com :dodgy:

RE: RE: How do I watch an .avi file? by CookieRevised on 12-09-2005 at 02:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*
i have a bunch of .avi files and the only codec that i download was divx

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
it will most definitely play .avi as i just watched a clip which was .avi on it. Doesnt lag too.
It is certainly not because you can play one avi that you can play them all.

The avi extension simply means the movie is in a Audio/Video Interleaved format. Which means audio and video data is stored interleaved, not sequential.

Avi itself is not a codec; avi has many many subformats, flavors and descendants. And they all have "avi" as extension. And many subformats have subsubformats, etc.... A codec will only play 1 sort of subformat, not the others.

eg: it is not because you have a driving license (avi) that you may drive everything with wheels (codecs).