Shoutbox

forum secret santa - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: forum secret santa (/showthread.php?tid=53741)

forum secret santa by [MR] on 12-09-2005 at 02:23 AM

i got this idea from another thread which i posted this in but now i want a poll.  who thinks that we should start doing some sort of secret santa on here by ordering ppl gifts that are cheap for the holiday season.  i think it would be pretty cool and there is still a good 2 weeks for christmas so we could possibly do it this year.

RE: forum secret santa by YottabyteWizard on 12-09-2005 at 02:28 AM

I like the idea (Y)

RE: forum secret santa by prashker on 12-09-2005 at 02:30 AM

I would not have money to send anybody anything :(

RE: forum secret santa by SikStyles on 12-09-2005 at 02:36 AM

I say no because a lot of people are not going to do it, first of all they are going to buy gifts for families and friends (non-internet ones) and then have to buy food, drinks, etc and possibly dont have the money to buy gifts for forum people and not everyone would get a present and those who wont will create threads with saying no one loves them, it seems like a good idea, giving and caring but it'll cause some flaming and useless threads im pretty sure.

RE: forum secret santa by prashker on 12-09-2005 at 02:37 AM

I wouldnt even if I had the money. It would be a waste. Unless they did something good for you etc.

* prashker votes NO

RE: forum secret santa by CookieRevised on 12-09-2005 at 01:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
who thinks that we should start doing some sort of secret santa on here by ordering ppl gifts that are cheap for the holiday season.
Idea is nice, but in practice this wouldn't work out I'm afraid...

Not only are most people on this forum students, which are always short on money (even for small gifts), but to where are you gonna send the gifts? The addresses of most people aren't know to other members. And not to forget, who's gonna pay for shipping and handling? S/H is relative very expensive, especially on smaller gifts...

Nevertheless, if someone feels like doing this for someone, of course and by all means, go for it...
RE: forum secret santa by John Anderton on 12-09-2005 at 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Idea is nice, but in practice this wouldn't work out I'm afraid...

Not only are most people on this forum students, which are always short on money (even for small gifts), but to where are you gonna send the gifts? The addresses of most people aren't know to other members. And not to forget, who's gonna pay for shipping and handling? S/H is relative very expensive, especially on smaller gifts...

The S/H is more that the gifts sometimes :dodgy:
But basically thats all the problems i guess. The main problems are the addresses (which can be given by the users and people can sign up for gifts in a thread but c'mon there are people who dont want to give out personal details) and the money,

Plus my main problem is the cash shortage (as a student) :P
RE: forum secret santa by DJKAL on 12-09-2005 at 01:27 PM

theres a theory and a practical behind every idea..the theroy behind this one is good and kind and caring etc etc...
but the practical is {as said above} not everyone would receive or send gifts and it wouldnt be a fair way and could make christmas woorse not better for some people.
sorry mate!:P

RE: forum secret santa by emit on 12-09-2005 at 03:58 PM

Presents? Impractical really. Cards maybe be a better idea...

RE: forum secret santa by user27089 on 12-09-2005 at 04:39 PM

If anybody wants to send me a present of any form, feel free ;).

RE: forum secret santa by saralk on 12-09-2005 at 05:51 PM

this wouldn't work in real life, its far to easy for poeple to not send other people gifts. If we made it optional, people could post their addresses and other people could feel free to send them gifts if they wanted.

RE: RE: forum secret santa by Aeryn on 12-09-2005 at 06:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
people could post their addresses

Hmm, you think that's really a good idea?...
RE: forum secret santa by saralk on 12-09-2005 at 07:01 PM

well if you didn't want to give your address out, you could make an amazon wish list or something?

RE: forum secret santa by MeEtc on 12-09-2005 at 09:19 PM

No to the gift exchange. I think that sending a postcard to whomever is a much better idea (and much, much less expensive)
Sorta like Patchou has set up, send a postcard that depicts where you live.

RE: forum secret santa by Menthix on 12-09-2005 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
If anybody wants to send me a present of any form, feel free .
Feel free to post your address then.

quote:
Originally posted by Haz
quote:Originally posted by saralk
people could post their addresses

Hmm, you think that's really a good idea?...
Better then posting your emailaddy somewhere. Good old paper post doesn't have spam bots crawling :). Even Patchou has his address on msgplus.net, if he doesn't get stalked, then nobody will.
RE: forum secret santa by mwe99 on 12-09-2005 at 11:09 PM

idea is nice but over a wide place like the forum it wont work...

we're doing it at work and thats only a group of about 8 people...

maybe organise it for your class :)

RE: forum secret santa by user27089 on 12-09-2005 at 11:26 PM

If anybody really wants to send me one, then I will post my address.

RE: forum secret santa by lordy on 12-10-2005 at 02:39 AM

:banana: christmas cards :D i love getting christmas cards, everyone send me one :P

RE: forum secret santa by mwe99 on 12-10-2005 at 03:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
If anybody really wants to send me one, then I will post my address.

Or perhaps use the feature called personal message? :P
RE: forum secret santa by Lou on 12-10-2005 at 04:00 AM

bad idea... it just wouldn't work because we have thousands of members on here and it would talk way too much money to pay gifts for even only the active ones.

RE: forum secret santa by LedZepp_Yardbirds on 12-10-2005 at 05:00 AM

sending the gift wuld be too much work for me, im lazy

RE: forum secret santa by Mippo on 12-10-2005 at 08:07 AM

I must say it's a nice idea, but I also agree with the others on that gifts are quite impractical. Somebody could buy a huge present for someone, and then get some weird, small thingie back. Or nothing at all, and that isn't very fun. :mipdodgy:
I also think postcards are a good idea. I don't expect anyone sending timebombs to every address they see on the web, so that shouldn't have to be any problem. :P However, sending a postcard outside your country could be expensive, depending on where you live and where you are sending it to... I had to put about 4 stamps on every card when I was in the Netherlands Antilles (sending the cards to the Netherlands).. :S