Shoutbox

Bug in the Messenger. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Bug in the Messenger. (/showthread.php?tid=53809)

Bug in the Messenger. by Flatron on 12-11-2005 at 10:50 AM

How can I report bugs in Messenger?
I surfed the microsoft.com, msn.com, messenger.msn.com, but I found nothing.
I found a very big bug in the system, Somebody can view my chat, and can write on my name. I'm sure, that the bug is in the messenger system, not in the client, because I captured the packets, and his messages came from the messenger servers.

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by Zahid™ on 12-11-2005 at 10:58 AM

http://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=mess...byemail&ct=eformts

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by Flatron on 12-11-2005 at 11:12 AM

Thanks Zahid, I reported the bug.

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by CookieRevised on 12-11-2005 at 11:40 AM

The "bug" you're reporting is not a bug.

What you experienced is the imitate function some plugins/addons have (like MessengerDiscoveryX).

This will simply imitate your chatname and thus it seems that the contact is writing in your name. However, this is not a bug and there is also no security issue what-so-ever. The contact is still using his own .NET Passport, not yours, only his nickname is the same as yours.

Other than that this is probably annoying for you, there is nothing wrong with it...

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by RaceProUK on 12-11-2005 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Flatron
I captured the packets
So surely you analysed them fully? In the protocol specification the user's e-mail address is passed in the MSG packets. If MDX changes this to match yours, I'm surprised Messenger doesn't have a fit. If MDX doesn't change the e-mail address, that should have alerted you to what's going on.
RE: Bug in the Messenger. by Flatron on 12-25-2005 at 09:20 PM

CookieRevised, you completely misunderstood me, that person wrote in my chat window.

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by CookieRevised on 12-25-2005 at 11:21 PM

As I said, unless you give a better description or even a (mock up) screenshot to proof otherwise or what yuo exactly mean, it is most likely the imitate function of MessengerDiscovery.

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by Flatron on 12-27-2005 at 04:52 PM

So, a description:

I was chatting with my friend, when suddenly a message appeared in the window, as that, I wrote the message, but I know, that I didn't. In a normal chat, there was a message like f*** you in hungarian after my name. I beleived, that that's a virus, but the messages were in connection with my messages, and contained mistakes. After I get know about he is a man, I talked with him, so it's sure, that it's not a virus. I started a packet schniffer, and I saw, that the message, contains his message (as my message) came from the messenger's servers. So, that's sure, that the bug is not in the client, and nobody broke into my machine.

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by CookieRevised on 12-27-2005 at 05:20 PM

quote:
So, that's sure, that the bug is not in the client, and nobody broke into my machine.
you can't jump to such conclussions just by seeing some packet.

Anyways, it still sounds exactly as the imitate function of MessengerDiscoveryX.
RE: Bug in the Messenger. by ShawnZ on 12-27-2005 at 05:39 PM

quote:
CookieRevised, you completely misunderstood me, that person wrote in my chat window.

He understood you perfectly

Your contact used Messenger Discovery X to automatically change their nickname to yours, say a message, and change it back without you noticing. Your contact in no way "wrote in your window", if he did, then wouldn't the packet be coming from you and going outward? 8-)
RE: Bug in the Messenger. by Flatron on 12-28-2005 at 03:32 PM

And the half of my contacts play this game with me?

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by pollolibredegrasa on 12-28-2005 at 04:05 PM

Please READ the posts above from Cookie and ShawnZ!

It is a function in some addons to MSN Messenger (such as the above quoted MessengerDiscoveryX) which changes your contacts name, font and font colour to match yours!

Thus when you get the message, it LOOKS like you sent it, hence the name "Imitate".

Thus if half your contacts are doing it to you, then it is more than likely they also have such a program installed. :)

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by John Anderton on 12-28-2005 at 04:42 PM

quote:
And the half of my contacts play this game with me?
Cant they all have MessengerDiscoveryX. It is quite popular you know :-/
(Annoying things like that usually are :dodgy: I personally dont have anyone like that on my list and someone who does that repeatedly .... :@)
RE: Bug in the Messenger. by Flatron on 12-28-2005 at 05:29 PM

I read those posts, but I beleive that they don't do that. I have contacts, who would tell on next day that that was a joke, and he made it with DiscoveryX.

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by John Anderton on 12-28-2005 at 05:38 PM

quote:
I read those posts, but I beleive that they don't do that. I have contacts, who would tell on next day that that was a joke, and he made it with DiscoveryX.
Cause then whats the use of pulling the joke. The joke is more fun if you take longer to realise it !!! Just go to them and tell them, i know you guys are using DiscoveryX.

That ought to stop it.

Posting a few logs wouldnt hurt. And btw, it it was a problem with messenger dont you think someone would have seen it by now. Millions of people use msn messenger day in and day out. Dont you think that in the past 8-9 months of its use, some one would have noticed and wouldnt microsoft have fixed it by now ?
Plus you analysed you packets. Shouldnt there be a packet showing data from a certain pc, to your pc and back ? (like shawnz said ... or whatever he said ....)

There are explanations to everything as long as you have an open mind. No need to jump to conclusions. DiscoveryX has had this feature for ages and all the regulars know it by now so (almost) no one uses it unless you dont know about the plugin.
RE: Bug in the Messenger. by Flatron on 12-28-2005 at 10:32 PM

There was not other network traffic, but msn and korn (like poptray, checks mail in every 3 minutes).

I don't use DiscoveryX, but if I understand exactly, it only writes the nick as mine. But at me, the mail adresses was correct. my name - my adress, and contact's address as destination. And this appeared under win with messenger and under linux with aMSN too, so, that's not possible, that he found the same hole on my linux in 1 minute.

Often appears big bugs in programs, if the program is some days old, or some years old, and I think Microsoft tries to kepp his bugs in secret while he can. (think, how many people was before Newton, and only he could make the equation describes the gravity?).

My friends are better friends than play that joke for a long time. I know them, you not, so beleive, that some of they would tell me that.

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by RaceProUK on 12-30-2005 at 01:21 PM

Like people have said iver and over again, it's MDX! It changes the message packets to make them look like they're from you!

RE: Bug in the Messenger. by John Anderton on 12-30-2005 at 01:52 PM

The whole purpose of MDX (Messenger Discovery X) is to fool any user who doesnt know about it :-/ Why cant you accept that :P
I give up !! :dodgy: