Shoutbox

i need some help to create a website! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: i need some help to create a website! (/showthread.php?tid=53814)

i need some help to create a website! by remember_987 on 12-11-2005 at 02:25 PM

ok i am fairly new to programming and i would like to have a cool website but i have no clue wat to do to make it look good.*-)

i tried to make my own site on a free site making site.

this is the url of my site

http://www.m-i-n-d-f-r-e-a-k.piczo.com

if any1 helps it would be greatly appreciated:D

RE: i need some help to create a website! by hmaster on 12-11-2005 at 02:29 PM

tip:
- never use "free site making" sites. They dont help you learn and all sites made using them are absolute shite.

- find out how to make a site
- learn html/css

- look for good resource sites

I suggest w3schools for starting:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/

once youve learnt html look at these:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/

to get it on the web
- find a decent host
- try to learn a little about graphics making too

RE: i need some help to create a website! by Stigmata on 12-11-2005 at 02:31 PM

using mark up languages isn't programming...

:) If you want something to look good, use your imagination. Being different is good :)

RE: i need some help to create a website! by Lou on 12-11-2005 at 02:36 PM

First of all, anyone on this forum will suggest that you do not use piczo or any related websites.

Second of all, I suggest that you learn some html and make a simple webpage. Once this is done, find a host (You could ask me...lol) to put your website online. There are alot of people on here that can help you get a host as alot of people are hosts. Then, once this is done, maybe learn php and such and add features to your pages. It is a long process but in the long run, it is very useful. Then if you need help, simply ask on here and the people here will be glad to help.

RE: i need some help to create a website! by Nathan on 12-11-2005 at 02:50 PM

Traxor will probaly host you if you ask him nicely :):P
And like lou_habs said he will.

RE: i need some help to create a website! by Rubber Stamp on 12-11-2005 at 05:02 PM

or u can use some WUSIWUG program...like dreamweaver or frontpage.

RE: i need some help to create a website! by stoshrocket on 12-11-2005 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rubber Stamp

i find html alot more satisfying, it took me about 2 hours to learn the basics and i prefer the output of a good combined site of xhtml, css and php... it looks alot 'nicer'
RE: i need some help to create a website! by absorbation on 12-11-2005 at 05:09 PM

quote:

I do not recommend, as it does'nt teach you, you cant use exteral style sheets and the tables are bad for keeping things valid.

First you will need a host to upload your files and webpages ;)
RE: i need some help to create a website! by Rubber Stamp on 12-11-2005 at 05:10 PM

well yeah, but its hell lot easier...lol

RE: i need some help to create a website! by user27089 on 12-11-2005 at 05:11 PM

It is pretty simple to learn html and css once you get into the hang of the basics, it only took me a few days to learn it. I will host you if you wish, it will be ad free etc. but you will also have to learn how to use FTP Uploading software etc.

RE: i need some help to create a website! by stoshrocket on 12-11-2005 at 05:11 PM

quote:
well yeah, but its hell lot easier...lol

you have a point, but it is still easy when using web3schools, just come up with a design then scan the pages to see how you create it, thats the best way and worked for me

RE: i need some help to create a website! by Plik on 12-11-2005 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2
quote:
i prefer the output of a good combined site of xhtml, css and php... it looks alot 'nicer'
Not to mention hand writen code is much easyer to debug and modify, plus many WYSIWYG editors add lots of pointless code.

My advice is to find some sites with a design you like and study the html and css to find out how they acheive the effects.

RE: i need some help to create a website! by stoshrocket on 12-11-2005 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
quote:
quote:
i prefer the output of a good combined site of xhtml, css and php... it looks alot 'nicer'
Not to mention hand writen code is much easyer to debug and modify, plus many WYSIWYG editors add lots of pointless code.

My advice is to find some sites with a design you like and study the html and css to find out how they acheive the effects.

that sounds like copyright breech to me... ^o) lol
RE: i need some help to create a website! by Plik on 12-11-2005 at 06:11 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Madman
quote:
quote:

that sounds like copyright breech to me... ^o) lol

as long as you dont directly rip the code, or steal the images i think its perfectly legal.
RE: i need some help to create a website! by stoshrocket on 12-11-2005 at 06:12 PM

lol, just dont let the owner know youve got a website, thats the best way ;)

RE: i need some help to create a website! by remember_987 on 12-11-2005 at 06:55 PM

Wow thanks all:D...... that is great advice!

i will try to get the hang of html and css and see if any of u guys can host me later :D

P.S. traxor i suspect that i should take u up on your offer because ppl have sent me tons of positive feedback on your hosting!:D

RE: i need some help to create a website! by stoshrocket on 12-11-2005 at 06:57 PM

<i highly recommen to accept trax's offer, he is my host and an ace one at that ;)>