Shoutbox

exporting custom names - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: exporting custom names (/showthread.php?tid=53845)

exporting custom names by apquiche on 12-12-2005 at 12:40 PM

I've seen loads of topics about saving custom names, but my request is a little bit different. Is there a way to export custom names in a file, in order to copy these contacts to gmail, for example? Another thing is that I find the custom names panel less ergonomic than before. Is there another way to edit custom names apart from the Plus! preferences panel?

RE: exporting custom names by user27089 on 12-12-2005 at 12:42 PM

You can right click the names, go to Messenger Plus! Extras > Rename contact.

As for the exporting of Custom names to put into gmail, you can export them, but you can't use them for other programs.

RE: exporting custom names by apquiche on 12-12-2005 at 12:46 PM

Does anyone want to develop a software extracting contacts from the Plus! preferences backup? :D
Seriously, wouldn't it be fine to be able to do this?

RE: exporting custom names by CookieRevised on 12-12-2005 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by apquiche
Does anyone want to develop a software extracting contacts from the Plus! preferences backup? :D
Seriously, wouldn't it be fine to be able to do this?
not possible for now...

The extra information (custom names, notes, sounds, etc) for each of your contacts, is stored in the registry. However, the contact's email itself is stored as a hash, thus one-way encrypted. The algorithm used for creating this hash isn't known. Hence, you cannot reverse decrypt them to know which contact the information is for. Hence you cannot create such a tool.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<your_email_address>\Contacts