Shoutbox

Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=53855)

Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by riahc4 on 12-12-2005 at 04:43 PM

If case members dont know, Windows Live Messenger will tommorow be avaliable to most testers that applied. Im a offical beta testers. How is it going to become public? Beta testers have a certain amount of invites that they can invite nonbeta testers. Like that it will spread and spread and spread etc etc untill everyone has it which then will be the final.

My question; During this semi public/private period, will Patchou release a Plus! for WLM?

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by John Anderton on 12-12-2005 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
If case members dont know, Windows Live Messenger will tommorow be avaliable to most testers that applied. Im a offical beta testers. How is it going to become public? Beta testers have a certain amount of invites that they can invite nonbeta testers. Like that it will spread and spread and spread etc etc untill everyone has it which then will be the final.
I dont know if thats the case but if it is then that sux. Its just a promotion gimmick like the initial stages of gmail.
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Dempsey on 12-12-2005 at 06:03 PM

Patchou never normally releases a version of Plus! until the new MSN Messenger version is public and out of Beta, so I bet it's the same for Windows Live Messenger.

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by DJKAL on 12-12-2005 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
Patchou never normally releases a version of Plus! until the new MSN Messenger version is public and out of Beta, so I bet it's the same for Windows Live Messenger.

does that mean that the BETA of plus! will come out on the same day {or week} as WLM 8 ... or does it mean we will have to use the current plus! and hope it works well?
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Menthix on 12-12-2005 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
does that mean that the BETA of plus! will come out on the same day {or week} as WLM 8 ... or does it mean we will have to use the current plus! and hope it works well?
I means you will have no Messenger Plus! on WLM until the new Messenger Plus! release goes public. I think Messenger Plus! will go public somewhere near Microsoft's official NON-Beta FINAL release of WLM.

From what i've understood from Patchou there will be a closed beta period for Messenger Plus! somewhere during the WLM beta phase (testers picked by Patchou himself as usual).

I can confirm what Matty said, but let's not go any further into that, keep it a suprise, the happier people are on release time :).
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Patchou on 12-12-2005 at 07:04 PM

No Messenger Plus! beta will be released for now, it's way too soon for it. If you're ab official tester for WLM I'll probably ask you to join the Plus! beta testers list though, but that won't be before late January.

You'll soon understand why :).

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by prashker on 12-12-2005 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
If you're ab official tester for WLM I'll probably ask you to join the Plus! beta testers list though, but that won't be before late January.

You'll soon understand why:) .

Thats cool Patchou. I recently got my invite for this WLM Beta :)...I wonder who (if you do) you will chose. But I'll leave that to you :P
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by faquick on 12-12-2005 at 09:22 PM

quote:
No Messenger Plus! beta will be released for now, it's way too soon for it. If you're ab official tester for WLM I'll probably ask you to join the Plus! beta testers list though, but that won't be before late January.

OK, so please give us a way to tell you "hey patchou, I am a WLM8 beta tester, please let me join new Plus! beta!!" ;)

btw I am just telling you "hey, I am a beta tester" etc etc :P

--edit:

p.s. I forgot to ask: are there some parts of current Plus! release that DO work with WLM8? I mean, someone surely already tested it with pre-beta releases of new messenger (I know there are several people who already got access to that in an OFFICIAL way, so I'm not asking to anyone to talk about patched/pirate versions ;)). I really would like to keep logging my conversations with new messenger betas too
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Menthix on 12-12-2005 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by faquick
are there some parts of current Plus! release that DO work with WLM8?
Nothing works. There is a protection build into Messenger Plus! that avoids MsgPlus! from loading at all when it detects a incompitable Messenger version. All you will see is a screen that says it found an incompitable version. You can't even get to the other features to try it.

Some things will probably work if you break the protection, but i advise people not to do that if they are not 100% sure what they do. I don't know of any way to break the protection, never tried.
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by matty on 12-12-2005 at 09:48 PM

quote:
OK, so please give us a way to tell you "hey patchou, I am a WLM8 beta tester, please let me join new Plus! beta!!" ;)

btw I am just telling you "hey, I am a beta tester" etc etc :P

Don't pester him :P. Patchou will choose people that he trusts to test.

quote:
p.s. I forgot to ask: are there some parts of current Plus! release that DO work with WLM8? I mean, someone surely already tested it with pre-beta releases of new messenger (I know there are several people who already got access to that in an OFFICIAL way, so I'm not asking to anyone to talk about patched/pirate versions ;)). I really would like to keep logging my conversations with new messenger betas too
From my understanding nothing yet. But I may be wrong. Just keep checking the Announcement forum for updates.
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by faquick on 12-12-2005 at 11:10 PM

Well, from these posts I understand that probably the plugin will find a new major version and auto-disable itself since many things are different. But it could also work for any strange reason :P

The only important thing to me is to keep logging conversations in the same straight TXT mode that plus! currently does. That is, because I use Messenger with work contacts and I need to have an easily accessible history of what we have been talking about. So, I could even resist without Plus! for a couple of months if I find another plugin for WLM8 that does just this ;)

And about the beta... yes I wrote VERY little here so I have little chances to be "chosen" by Patchou, and I am not going to keep asking "take me, take me". I was just proposing to find a simple way to let he know who of us has access to the beta and thus letting him chose more easily between that list of people :)

But I am writing too much tonight so... bye for now, I need some sleep :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 12-12-2005 at 11:38 PM

quote:
The only important thing to me is to keep logging conversations in the same straight TXT mode that plus! currently does.
In that case, maybe this will help you: "CookieRevised's reply to convert xml logs to txt plus-like logs"

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by brian on 12-13-2005 at 03:00 AM

quote:

I'm already was in the old 3.6 BETA, are we still in?
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by BeerBro on 12-13-2005 at 03:25 AM

I'm in the live messenger beta too.. and its great to hear a new version of MsgPlus! is already in the works. :)

and to "faquick"... i think it is a good idea to get a list of the people who are in the beta test and add each other to their contact lists to get a chance to try out the features... :D

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by matty on 12-13-2005 at 04:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nvez
I'm already was in the old 3.6 BETA, are we still in?
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
He has yet to decide who is testing aside from the people that are guaranteed.
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by NiteMare on 12-13-2005 at 05:29 AM

quote:

You'll soon understand why .

YAY, i got my WLM invite, maybe i can finaly get ride of my avatar:P

keep us in mind and updated, patchou:)

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Chestah on 12-13-2005 at 06:28 AM

Congradulations everyone that have their WLM beta invites! :), i got the original "we are deciding a beta for you to test" but still haven't gotten an email yet unfortunately ;)!

So for the meanwhile you'll have to tell me what you think of it :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by EvilSeph on 12-13-2005 at 06:28 AM

quote:

My question; During this semi public/private period, will Patchou release a Plus! for WLM?

Curious, what are your sources for this information?
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by albert on 12-13-2005 at 01:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
quote:

Curious, what are your sources for this information?

I think he got the info from Mess.be
quote:
Originally posted by Mess.be
No, you did not get cryogenically frozen for two weeks and defrosted on December 24th but -for full-blooded MSN Messenger fans like us- today feels exactly like the day before Christmas. All because Windows Live Messenger (the next generation of MSN Messenger) is finally entering its BETA-period tomorrow. Ah, the tension! Download links will become operational during December 13th US time (probably in the evening/nighttime for other continents like Europe and Asia).

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by riahc4 on 12-13-2005 at 02:14 PM

quote:

Like always Patchou/Microsoft know something that we dont...

My source for that was indeed Mess.be. I havent gotten a offical confirmed email that Im selected but I filled out the survey they sent me as soon as I got it. They accually sent it out 2 times because some people didnt get it. I believe all surveys that Ive done for Microsoft Ive gotten in the beta program.
BTW (dont quote me on this) If your a ex Plus! tester, Patchou has your email already (he once said this himself). He'll problably contact you if your in the Microsoft beta program of WLM.
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by faquick on 12-13-2005 at 05:29 PM

@ BeerBro, please join the WLM private newsgroups, there is a thread where people are leaving their passport addresses ;)

@ cookierevised, THANK YOU very much ;) you saved me a lot of time I was planning to spend to search for similar solutions around the forums and the Net ^_^ also, I feel stupid for not thinking about XSL "tweaking" before reading your posts ;)

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by EvilSeph on 12-13-2005 at 10:40 PM

That information is wrong. Or misleading anyway, the download link has been active since pre-beta. The beta still hasn't started though. Only a select few testers have been given access to the beta at this point in time. More soon to follow, I believe.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by BeerBro on 12-13-2005 at 11:54 PM

quote:
@ BeerBro, please join the WLM private newsgroups, there is a thread where people are leaving their passport addresses ;)

@ cookierevised, THANK YOU very much ;) you saved me a lot of time I was planning to spend to search for similar solutions around the forums and the Net ^_^ also, I feel stupid for not thinking about XSL "tweaking" before reading your posts ;)

i would like to join.. but am having trouble finding out how to connect ...
i followed the instructions on the "Community" page on connect.microsoft.com and using Outlook Express

and this is what i ahve so far...
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by ~INVASION~ on 12-13-2005 at 11:58 PM

thats what im getting too

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by surfichris on 12-14-2005 at 02:42 AM

quote:
Like always Patchou/Microsoft know something that we dont...

It's not Microsoft, it's Patchou and i'm sure he'll tell you guys soon :dodgy:.
quote:
Originally posted by BeerBro
i followed the instructions on the "Community" page on connect.microsoft.com and using Outlook Express
You now need to click the "Newsgroups" button on the toolbar which will get you a list of news groups. You need to subscribe to the Messenger ones.
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by BeerBro on 12-14-2005 at 02:48 AM

ah, its working now.. thx a lot :D

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by adam.yao on 12-21-2005 at 10:31 AM

haha, i am a wlm 8.0 betatester , and i wanna join the messenger live plus test group?

Could Patchou invite me ^_^?

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Underlord on 12-21-2005 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
So, no, he will not invite you.
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by DJKAL on 12-21-2005 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adam.yao

haha, i am a wlm 8.0 betatester ,

haha...so am i!

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Islander on 12-21-2005 at 07:45 PM

I got invited to the Beta Test today, very nice. I have not installed WLM yet, so I don't know if it works beside 7.5 or overwrites it. But yes, I'd also like to keep logging while testing the new Messenger. I'll have a look at CookieRevised's link, but hopefully there will be some Plus!-Update soon. Good luck and have much fun while programming ;)

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Menthix on 12-21-2005 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Islander
hopefully there will be some Plus!-Update soon.
Probably not while WLM is still beta. I expect the first public Messenger Plus! Live release a few days before or after the public release of Windows Live Messenger.

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Chestah on 12-21-2005 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Probably not while WLM is still beta. I expect the first public Messenger Plus! Live release a few days before or after the public release of Windows Live Messenger.

Yep, i agree with MenthiX. As WLM changes throughout the beta stage then Plus! Live might have to change for compatibility and for both bugs, as WLM is a fairly major update the update for Plus! will be just as big (if not bigger).
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by darkip on 12-21-2005 at 10:42 PM

I just checked my email after being away for about a month, to my delight sitting there was an invite to the messenger live beta. After installing it I realised just how much I used the functionality of msgplus. I can't wait for the release!

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 12-21-2005 at 11:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Which will be no sooner as februari/march (possible even much later) as februari/march is what is initially the date that WLM will become public beta, if all things go as planned that is!!
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by ShawnZ on 12-21-2005 at 11:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
If you're ab official tester for WLM I'll probably ask you to join the Plus! beta testers list though, but that won't be before late January.

You'll soon understand why:) .

Thats cool Patchou. I recently got my invite for this WLM Beta :)...I wonder who (if you do) you will chose. But I'll leave that to you :P

Stop saying stuff like that to get in to the beta. Patchou knows you are in the beta, and you won't shut up about it. patchou knows. i am in the beta so make me a tester too.
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 12-22-2005 at 03:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cee_estee
do invited testers count?
I imagine what mostly counts is what counts as usuall: Patchou needs to know and trust you first. Only, in second instance does the fact count if you are beta tester or invitee or not. To test Plus!Live you, of course, need to have access to WLM though.

But all that is up to Patchou, and he can change his mind anytime for whatever reason or decide to only let official beta testers (thus not invitees) to participate in the future (which I doubt, as invitees can test stuff too) or whatever.

Also remember that there once will be a time that WLM will become public beta (thus you wont need the invites anymore or be an official tester to access the new features) and during the time a messanger is in beta (public or not) a new version of Plus! will never be released, instead it will still be in develoment, meaning, testers are needed.

But, unless Patchou himself replies to all this and says in public what his policy is for testing Plus!Live, all you can do is wait and see...

quote:
Originally posted by Cee_estee
but how does patcheau know who's messenger beta tester and who's not?
He doesn't. That is: he doesn't have a MSN "big brother" list, or access to something like that, of whom is officially tester or not. But he can ask/mail around, read posts, has access (just as plus! beta testers have) to private parts of the forum where such stuff is handled, etc...

;)

----------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
you see every year patchou makes a BIG list (...)
Rubbish. First of all beta testers (Plus! beta tester or Messenger beta tester, it goes for both) are choosen everytime (at least 99% of time) from scratch.

PS: Though, I know you most likely meant that as "joking around" (though, why double posting?) and that it was said in #banana and all. But these are the forums (and we're also still not in a T&T thread, if that counts for anything) where people ask questions of which they expect a valid answer (especially in such cases), hence my serious reply.
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by adam.yao on 12-22-2005 at 03:45 AM

too great job.

Thank you.

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by squall_leonhart69r on 12-23-2005 at 04:48 PM

anyways.. im an officially invited tester and wouldn't mind beta testing msgplus live in late jan if thats alright.

just saying it to put it out there.

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by styxs on 12-26-2005 at 07:43 AM

^ Same :)

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Patchou on 12-26-2005 at 03:08 PM

My policy for chosing beta testers is still the same: when a beta version will be ready, I'll ask on the forum for people to email me aif they want to be a tester. I'll check the "profile" of everybody (depending on if I know them, if they are active on the forum, etc...) and I'll make a list (I rarely keep the same list between two versions).

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by John Anderton on 12-26-2005 at 06:30 PM

quote:
My policy for chosing beta testers is still the same: when a beta version will be ready, I'll ask on the forum for people to email me aif they want to be a tester. I'll check the "profile" of everybody (depending on if I know them, if they are active on the forum, etc...) and I'll make a list (I rarely keep the same list between two versions).
Thanks. Thats what i was wondering for a long time but i didnt know where to ask. Plus i didnt want to make a wlm thread.

Just one more question. In the last version, the time period for emailing was around 8-12 hours (i dont remember .... it was at mast 18-24 rite ?)
The problem was that i wanted to apply then as well but i happened to be offline that one day and i never got to apply. Will the time period be more this time so that people dont miss out on the thread ? :P (Cause if im busy i may check the forums once in 24-30 hours so you never know :P)
Btw, if this thread will be read ... i am a wlm user not a tester. (ie i have been invited by someone)
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by ipab on 12-27-2005 at 01:27 AM

well i guess the wait is on :).
Every time the patch has the request, I manage to miss it :(.

RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by John Anderton on 12-27-2005 at 04:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Same here :sad:
I hope the time frame for applications is larger this time :)
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by Eljay on 12-27-2005 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:

i missed it too but just sent him an email and i was in so.... :P (well ok i only missed by minutes but still :P)
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by John Anderton on 12-27-2005 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:

i missed it too but just sent him an email and i was in so.... :P (well ok i only missed by minutes but still :P)
I missed it by 30 mins or so. That was when i came online. By the time i saw the thread the email address was removed :P
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by superfun on 12-31-2005 at 12:54 AM

i allways got an beta invite for wlm 8 yesterday and i´m testing the wlm beta and want to test the plus! live beta, too.

but i´m a new member of this forum so my chance of become a plus! tester is to small:'(

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by OniDarkLink on 01-01-2006 at 06:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by superfun
i allways got an beta invite for wlm 8 yesterday and i´m testing the wlm beta and want to test the plus! live beta, too.

but i´m a new member of this forum so my chance of become a plus! tester is to small:'(

I know what you mean... You don't know what you've got until it's gone. Not that I was taking Messenger Plus! for granted ;)

I can't wait to see if Patchou'll let me test Plus! Live when the time for selection rolls around... That would double the joy of testing WLM! :D
RE: Windows Live Messenger SemiPublic beta and Messenger Plus! by John Anderton on 01-02-2006 at 05:44 AM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=53...d=582585#pid582585

Can all the users who have posted/will post that they are testers please read that post :)

Patchou will make a thread if and when he needs to. Some of the things he looks for in testers is also mentioned there (tho the post is a smaller version of the real thing)
Just leave it. He will make a post when the time comes. Do what ever is mentioned there to apply and you will be considered :)

Now can this thread please be closed ??